Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online: Removing Subscription Requirements  (Read 60054 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: A Thing That's Happening
« Reply #360 on: May 01, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »

Probably the same way we make enchants.

Give a small number of preset effects, targeting types, and relative resource costs, and stick three of those together to make a few modified version of otherwise simple spells.

Single target | Fire Damage | Low cost = Firebolt
Medium AoE |Ice damage| Medium cost = Iceball
Self center AoE | Ice damage | Toggleable = Protection from ice aura that reduces mana regen while active.

^ Stuff like that all you have to do is control the middle part and you have a decent spellcraft system that is difficult to abuse.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:43:39 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: May 01, 2014, 08:46:17 pm »

Spellcrafting

How the hell in an MMO without imbalancing terribly.

In a limited and very very carefully controlled manner.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: May 01, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »

Also GUAR MOUNTS YESSSSSSSSSSSSssss

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 01, 2014, 08:49:14 pm »

I want a Kahjiit Battlecat.   I could say it's my character's little brother, because apparently Kahjiit are weiiiiird.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:51:19 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:14 pm »

You mean the Senche? Yeah, they's Khajiit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 01, 2014, 09:17:36 pm »

You know, JUST for this, I might ALMOST buy the game.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 18, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »

You know, JUST for this, I might ALMOST buy the game.

That is not quite enough for me.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Hey Maybe They'll Fix It
« Reply #367 on: May 18, 2014, 03:33:46 pm »

Keyword being ALMOST
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 18, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »

Don't buy it.  It's either a cash in or a fine example of corporate meddling.  It's over a month in and it's barely beta quality.  It was either a quick money grab or rushed to release.

[rant]
There's few if any skill lines that aren't suffering from at least one major bug, there's multiple skills that flat out don't work (The leader of the pack Werewolf transformation changes you back after wasting your ultimate bar immediately after activation, Haste in the nightblade tree claims it increases your attack speed...except it doesn't affect any weapon in the game... many of your passive abilities stop affecting you after you die, requiring a relog to reactivate them...)

Werewolf is actively detrimental, giving you strong weaknesses to fighters guild abilities(extremely common), as well as poison and disease(everyone who uses a bow), and none of it's bonuses can be used outside of werewolf form, which costs 4x as much ultimate meter as most other ultimate skills, has a high chance of bugging you out effectively becoming 30 seconds of self snare, only lasts 30 seconds when it DOES work, and only increases yer DPS by about 10% for losing the ability to dodge roll.

Balance is a joke, the best attack in the game is a shieldbash, to the point where if you are in melee range and not shieldbashing you are doing it wrong.

Zeni Online have acknowledged a lot of these problems but feel that releasing their first content patch is more important.  Only some of these issues are fixed with that patch (and cannot be released before the content patch for unknown reasons), which is still who knows how far away.

And to top it all off that's only some of the big issues. The many many constant nagging little things are bad too.  I haven't mentioned the hourly crashes, the infinite loading screens where the game never finishes loading a zone and needs to be alt-F4'd, the badly broken enchanting craft being absurd to level past 25 (out of 50, while cooking can easily be maxed in a couple days without leaving the starting city), the LITERALLY useless in every way fishing that honestly needs to be improved or removed(All fish can only be vendored for 3 gold each, regardless of location, it has been confirmed there is no other use), the auction house being in guild only and missing even the most basic feature like an item search, the gear damage system being broken at endgame levels, where every time you interact with anything from attacking to talking to an NPC it damages your gear equating to about 4g cost in repairs per interaction at level 50...
[/rant]

This is an unfinished game, that is all there is to it.  At the current rate it's going to take Zeni online at least another 6 months to turn this into something worth trying.  Avoid it.  I am so sorry I had faith for as long as I did, it doesn't deserve it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 08:20:13 pm by Greiger »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 18, 2014, 09:00:44 pm »

the auction house being in guild only

This is a design choice they are continuing to stand by. Markets in TESO are supposed to be "localized", not a unified global free-for-all. You can join up to five guilds, and plenty of guilds exist only to provide a market place to their members. Guilds can also open their markets to non-members by owning a keep in Cyrodiil (this has problems related to PvP, however). They will also make a limited number of city-based market stalls available to guilds in a future patch, a feature that should be familiar to Wushu players.

The global auction house in Guild Wars 2 may have been convenient to players looking to quickly buy or sell, but it was terrible from a community-building standpoint, and MMOs are supposed to be about community, after all.

Werewolf is actively detrimental, giving you strong weaknesses to fighters guild abilities(extremely common), as well as poison and disease(everyone who uses a bow),

Fighters guild abilities are supposed to be the counter to werewolves and vampires, and both have their weaknesses beyond that (vampires are weak to fire). Both are supposed to be an alternative to playing a "normal", not an "I win" button every player feels compelled to take, hence why they are supposed to have extreme strengths as well as extreme weaknesses. (Also, not every archer uses poison or disease.)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 18, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »

[snip]

This is a design choice they are continuing to stand by. Markets in TESO are supposed to be "localized", not a unified global free-for-all. You can join up to five guilds, and plenty of guilds exist only to provide a market place to their members. Guilds can also open their markets to non-members by owning a keep in Cyrodiil (this has problems related to PvP, however). They will also make a limited number of city-based market stalls available to guilds in a future patch, a feature that should be familiar to Wushu players.

The global auction house in Guild Wars 2 may have been convenient to players looking to quickly buy or sell, but it was terrible from a community-building standpoint, and MMOs are supposed to be about community, after all.
Oh yea community, that reminds me, the main story, fighters guild, and mages guild questlines are all solo only, that was another gripe.

In my experience nobody ever browses the guild stores in the Cyrodyll keeps, but that doesn't matter much as the trading guilds by and large are not taking keeps in PvP.  If they are they are just claiming them the instant the keep flips before an actual PvP guild that took the keep can. 

The trading stalls is something I was looking forward to, as currently all my trading guilds hit 500 members awhile ago, and now nothing lower level sells at all because all these people in the guild are leveling up and as they do lower level mats get more and more worthless.  Nobody seems interested in spending gold on mats for an Alt. Stalls would hopefully solve that but again, who knows when it's happening.

But there is still the problem with the embarrassing guild store system.  Can't search by item name, can't search by veteran rank (you search for something level 50 and it just returns everything vet rank 1-10) you can search by certain types, but not all items fall into those types (and it's bugged so that sometimes it ignores the filters you set entirely.) All the guild store addons work by just paging through the store one page at a time and then bringing up their OWN interface displaying the data it read instead of working with what is already there.  Something is wrong there.

Fighters guild abilities are supposed to be the counter to werewolves and vampires, and both have their weaknesses beyond that (vampires are weak to fire). Both are supposed to be an alternative to playing a "normal", not an "I win" button every player feels compelled to take, hence why they are supposed to have extreme strengths as well as extreme weaknesses. (Also, not every archer uses poison or disease.)

Every archer needs to have the venom shot skill if they want to level bow, it won't be in their bar to gain skill with the weapon if they don't.  You don't gain skill with just using the weapon alone when a skill is available, if you do it's so insignificant to be undetectable.  Do they have to use it after they get another bow skill? No, but every archer knows it.

And yes indeed fighters guild is made to kill them, but is Werewolf worth those weaknesses?  Not in the least.  It costs absurd amounts of ultimate to use, bottoming out at 900 normally, 600 if you get a rare full set bonus that reduces the cost of werewolf, that requires so many pieces of the set it precludes the use of any other set bonus.
When you do use it it lasts all of 30 seconds, a little more using a devour ability that only works on dead humanoids, and barely increases your time by as long as it takes to use devour, doesn't let you use any of your normal abilities during it, is buggy as shit, gives about the same damage bonus as the aggressive warhorn ultimate (that costs only 250 ultimate and affects you and 20! of your allies instead of just you, and also buffs stamina and magicka to boot).  And to top it off you have the vulnerabilities even when you aren't in werewolf form. 

There is no logical reason to use it, the negatives far outweigh the benefits, and those benefits are done better and cheaper by other things without the weaknesses.  Werewolf isn't an I win button by any means, it's an "I lose" button, except in the very rare case that you managed to build up enough ult to use it then it's a "Maybe you should silver bolts or turn undead me or I might have used my effectively 30 minute long cooldown to beat you" button.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:05:03 pm by Greiger »

Leyic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 18, 2014, 11:07:54 pm »

Every archer needs to have the venom shot skill if they want to level bow

My highest leveled weapon is bow and I've never invested a single point into Poison Arrow.

As for the werewolf weakness, as long as you're complaining about how underpowered they are, that's fine; goodness knows lots of people are complaining about that. But if you're complaining about how they melt when attacked by certain skills, you certainly can complain about that, but it's a design choice and not going away any time soon. That said, no one knows if you're a werewolf if you don't transform, whereas milky while Khajiit and Argonians are rather obvious and tend to be shot with Silver Bolts on sight.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:43 pm »

Odd with the bow thing I was not able to level up bow during beta without Venom arrow it just refused to gain skill past 1, I used it for a whole day and gained zero skill.  In that case maybe I was just doing it wrong sorry for the bad info.

For the werewolf not being obvious though I have the FTC addon and from the looks of it's rating on ESOUI a large number of other people do too, it has a debuff bar and werewolf shows up as a distinct debuff.  If they bit somebody recently it shows 2 very distinct debuffs.  One for werewolf disease and poison vulnerability, one for the bite cooldown.

It probably should not show up as a debuff to the API if not being obvious is supposed to be a thing, because quite a few times I dropped a turn undead or trap beast just because I saw the werewolf icon under their bar.  If it's not supposed to be obvious, that right there is a major unfair advantage.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 13, 2014, 12:47:57 pm »

I have been really enjoying ESO.

Community is by far better than most new MMOs. Reminds me of the eq2 community (or older MMOs) before it went free to play.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 13, 2014, 04:22:54 pm »

The lore is a step up from Skyrim, which I appreciate.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31