Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia General Discussion  (Read 6907 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia General Discussion
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 04:00:59 am »

Let's say we were playing this round my kitchen table and one of you said, let's take a whole 'nother hour to decide who to lynch. Someone else would say no way champ, we won't get time to play cripple mister onion at this rate, but we might delay if you said hey hold up a mo, I'm making felafels. Extensions are fine when people are busy but their existence encourages players to prolong the game just when there isn't a consensus or when they're unsure about the lynch. In the moment you could always use more time to discuss things, but for the sake of game that moves at a less than sluggish pace, and for more time to play other games, they ought be restricted.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 04:36:12 am »

As a barrier to entry for every other mafia game on this board it's kind of shitty to force players to go through a month and a half before they get to play in the big kid's pool, not to mention the wait time while waiting to get into the next Beginner's Mafia.

I think it's important as an introductory tool to make these games prompt.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 05:01:53 am »

Definitely. So what extension rule will you use for your BM? Each person gets one 24 hour extend? Only two or three extends per day? Hardline no extensions and 12 hour days  ;D ?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:54 am »

..Why can't we try it Meph's way? Only x extends per day? That seems to work perfectly (because its mostly always used up :v) but with foresight of holidays of course.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 05:08:40 am »

Personally I see a benefit in days are a set time, extensions granted by the mod for extreme circumstances beyond peoples control, do your scum hunting in the time given or suffer... but that is just me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 05:17:35 am »

but that is just me.
It's definitely not just you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 06:15:18 am »

Waaait.

We haven't tried that proposal did we? Set days/nights, right? Let's try it once for good measure.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 09:53:32 am »

I like the idea of each person having an extension, but I think that for the BM if someone replaces in close to deadline there should be a mod extension to allow them to get up to speed, especially if they are the one about to be lynched.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 10:04:03 am »

I like the idea of each person having an extension, but I think that for the BM if someone replaces in close to deadline there should be a mod extension to allow them to get up to speed, especially if they are the one about to be lynched.

I consider that common courtesy for any game.  When I mod, if there are less than 24 hours in the day when someone replaces in, I add 24 hours.  This also applies to daykills.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:29 am »

Hardline no extensions and 12 hour days  ;D ?

You know it, buddy.

Probably 72 hour days, with two 24 hour extensions at maximum. Limit a day to at most a week.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:57 am »

Which setup are you using?

makeinu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 11:41:19 am »

Personally I see a benefit in days are a set time, extensions granted by the mod for extreme circumstances beyond peoples control, do your scum hunting in the time given or suffer... but that is just me.

In the games I play in on another site, we strictly enforce a 48/24 hour day/night rotation, with extensions only for holidays and exigent circumstances where the mod (GM) can't end the current phase on time. In general, it works very well, as it keeps players engaged in the game by enforcing a deadline by which they have to make a decision.

That does mean we don't use the hammer rule, and the day lynch target may not even have a majority of votes at day's end. We enforce an activity rule where a player is labeled Inactive after missing two phases without forewarning, and is subject to random lynch in the event the town can't make up their minds. We also require a minimum number of votes, generally 25% of surviving players, to avoid a random lynch.

It's always worked well for us.
In 2142, We made the Regenabots. They made us immortal. Now the year is 2165. Too many humans, and not nearly enough to go around. What have we done? Join this dark world today.

The Starcrash. A global disaster that destroyed our homeworld. The AI Council tries to hold us together. But some of us won't be kept in line. We are the Free Captains. We are Star Pirates.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 03:30:40 pm »

I'd say even if they're not the one about to be lynched.  Like take the situation that happened end of D2 for BM42 - it 'mattered greatly', at least to me and even if I'm wrong - as to how the replaced-in person voted and otherwise acted.  That stuff matters and that stuff can take time!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »

Which setup are you using?
So Jim said I could do the next one instead.

Are we all OK with:
> Experimental Setup
> Extensions done WHEN
- Player replaces in regardless of time of day (near/far) from deadline
- Holidays/Near Holidays
> Probably 72 hour days, with two 24 hour extensions at maximum. Limit a day to at most a week.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 05:16:21 pm »

That all sounds reasonable.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4