Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer Queen Incoming  (Read 1437 times)

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Queen Incoming
« on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just found an interesting bit on an artifact that was just made. Apparently my Queen shall be a necromancer when she comes!
I've heard this kind of thing is common, but it's never happened to me before. I'll check her out in Legends if/when the fortress falls.

Will she be dangerous, or can she go about as Monarch without effecting my fortress too much?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Queen Incoming
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 07:23:42 pm »

Keep her away from anything that can be animated. The resulting undead will be friendly to her, but not so much to your dwarves (unless they're all vampires, which brings its own problems).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 07:37:29 pm »

There is a chance that she is no longer your queen. Check your civilization status screen.

Usually, necromancers and were-creatures will abandon their jobs upon their transformation, so "Queen" may simply be a note under "Previous Experience" on Zefon's resume.

If she is still the queen, which has happened once or twice before, then you will have your own personal army factory. Just hope her mandates aren't for something stupid.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:42:24 pm »

There is a chance that she is no longer your queen. Check your civilization status screen.

Usually, necromancers and were-creatures will abandon their jobs upon their transformation, so "Queen" may simply be a note under "Previous Experience" on Zefon's resume.

If she is still the queen, which has happened once or twice before, then you will have your own personal army factory. Just hope her mandates aren't for something stupid.

Bummer. She left her position in late winter of year 41 to begin her apprenticeship under Ineth Chant Construct, a dwarf necromancer married to the dwarf vampire Cerol Bustgifts, who had himself ended his apprenticeship the same year, the same season in fact, after being King of a different dwarven civilization. (The two have similar tales.)
His wife was a wanderer, moving from fortress to fortress, murdering a few dwarves, and then fleeing after arousing suspicion.
They had 6 children before going different paths, (In the 11 years before Cerol became a vampire) only two of which have survived to present (130) Their eldest son, Reg Bodicefate (Born year 2) is also a Necromancer, apprenticed 9 years after his father (year 50) to a different master. The second surviving son is unremarkable, aside from living upwards of 120 years without some divine intervention.

Zefon herself has no family.

Her diety, "Zimun" is a dwarven god associated with disease, death, and murder. Often depicted as a skeletal male dwarf, he has recieved the worship of 4 necromancers, as well as 3 more recent, aspiring necromancers, 2 of which came from Evanbolts, a dwarven fortress. (However one of these died before they could reach immortality)

Legends mode kicks ass, this is a pretty decent tale.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:43:59 pm by Ki11aGhost »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:11:47 am »

I very, very hard too have a Necro monarch. Is only posible if World gen stopped in a short window of time between the learning of the secret and the resignation of monarchy.

Slighty more frecuent are Necro Consorts, that come to the fort with their spouses. Somebody reported a Vampire Queen married with
a necro, living together in the fortress.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:28 pm »

OP, did you know that your crown artifact is named after... Well.... It's called 'Shaftbulbs'
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 01:11:40 pm »

Yeah I struggled for a long time to gen worlds with the monarchs still present and necroing, but in the end aventurer retirement is the best course of action.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?