Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Who actually read the rules and guidelines....etc  (Read 3261 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually read the rules and guidelines....etc
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:33 pm »

You also shouldn't be waving around the strongly implied, if not outright stated, fact that you DIDN'T read them.

Because they're mostly common sense and it's not a long read, nor is it very hard. It's not as though Toady hired an army of lawyers to draft up the most convoluted T&C possible.
Ehh. The rules only require that you agree and follow them, not that you actually know what they are.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 12:44:40 am »

I have.  Both when I signed up, and multiple times after.
This, heh. Both to remind myself what they are, and to keep m'self from skirting some of them too hard/outright breaking one or two. Which is occasionally tempting, but B12 is not the venue for publicly posting ribald limericks. No matter how clever! Or how badly in violation of the general rhyme scheme limericks are supposed to follow.
Parody is its own clean form of art! :|
And by that..yeah, I check it multiple times too, to ensure that I'm only skirting the line between what is accepted, and what is literarily gruesome and evil, and accepted in a literary way.

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 02:23:10 am »

I just follow common sense.No need for rules I'm a civilised person....kinda.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 04:46:07 am »

you need to know the wools so you know the specific wording to use when discussing corruption of champions without breaking them

you do not want to break the wools. you cannot fix them

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 04:47:37 am »

I've never read the rules as I can remember. The fact I've survived here since 2009 just fine seems to suggest common sense works just as well.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 05:33:22 am »

I actually only read them just now. I'm actually a little surprised that this may be the one board I'm on that doesn't outright say it's an English language board, and that you're expected to use English to communicate.

Sounds a little silly to single out, but it's a little odd not to see it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:41:24 am »

Well most forums have the 'English only' rule to ensure that the English speaking mods can monitor what is actually going on.
So either Toady has a lot of confidence in Google translate, has a lot of confidence in us, or forgot that clause.

Anyway yea, I read it, some time ago. I make a point of reading everything I tick. You would be surprised what little legal doohickeys come in them, not even always malicious.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 05:44:16 am »

Well. Maybe. But thinking about it, speaking in a different language when the rest of the board for the most part is obviously using English could be considered "intentionally garbled language".

Since while it may be coherent to the person typing it, so is crazed ramblings from the Timecube guy to well, the Timecube guy.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 05:50:10 am »

Well at least a non-Englsh language is coherent to more than one person and therefor useful for the exchange of information to somebody, while Timecube guy is... Well timecube guy. Not exactly what I would qualify as garbled, as much as different. Still, I have little doubt that Toady would have go about exerting power to get things done if required, even if it means bending the rules just a little.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 05:51:19 am »

Well most forums have the 'English only' rule to ensure that the English speaking mods can monitor what is actually going on.
So either Toady has a lot of confidence in Google translate, has a lot of confidence in us, or forgot that clause.

Anyway yea, I read it, some time ago. I make a point of reading everything I tick. You would be surprised what little legal doohickeys come in them, not even always malicious.
It would be interesting to learn that Toady or his brother are polyglots :))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 06:29:16 am »

Well. Maybe. But thinking about it, speaking in a different language when the rest of the board for the most part is obviously using English could be considered "intentionally garbled language".
The time or two we had specifically non-english threads didn't get shut down, did they? We definitely get the occasionally non-english post, here and there, it's just rare to get particularly lengthy conversations before it defaults back to english.

Considering the amount of folks here that speak english as a second language, it's almost a little surprising it doesn't happen more, thinking on it...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 06:32:48 am »

I more mean like if someone was to barge into a thread and post something that someone may not understand. Not like a whole language thread which is a whole different thing.

But I'm mostly just surprised it wasn't there. I always thought it was a bit of a weird restriction myself.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2013, 06:52:45 am »

Mm, fair point. It has happened occasionally... I know footjo fearfuljes-whatever has made the occasional non-english post, and Owlbread (and maybe a few others) occasionally slip into welsh for giggles, just as examples, without terribly much comment. Few posts out there that are randomly!chinese or whatev'. It's kinda' neat, especially since there's usually someone around to translate.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:55:17 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2013, 09:51:40 am »

Yeah I remember having a few short convos in Chinese with a couple of folks here. And there's the scattered Esperanto. We've got a pretty global userbase, but the majority are still 'Mericans, Brits, Aussies/Kiwis and Canucks. English use becomes self-enforcing, because while people are free to post in something else, they're not going to get much response if nobody understands them. I mean, I suppose you could troll the boards by posting in Hmong or something, but what's the point?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »

I do.

So long as a forum doesn't have a whole BOOK for forum rules it is good to give it a once over. You never know what kind of rules are hidden in there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3