Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would I go about incensing the chance of gorillas migrating  (Read 511 times)

Grango

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How would I go about incensing the chance of gorillas migrating
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:57:10 pm »

I have recently learned how to train war animals and would like some war gorillas but when ever I embark in a tropical moist broad leaf forest or a tropical freshwater swamp they aren't there. According to the wiki this is where they will live. I have waited a few years in these biomes and nothing. So I was thinking I could go into the raw files and increase the chance of them spawning. now my question is how would I go about this? any other solutions are welcome.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How would I go about incensing the chance of gorillas migrating
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »

I think you generally just have to get lucky with which animals show up in your embark site. Gorillas are native to tropical forests, but they're not guaranteed to show up there.

You could do an expedition with an adventurer, Jane Goodall style, and look for gorillas. Or just trade with elves and hope they have what you're looking for.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »

Increasing the population count would require a regen.

What you could do is hunt the other animals or capture them. If your elven contacts live in the same biome, there is a chance that they will bring some. Killing the animalmen populations can also help since they take up a spawning slot.

Grango

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 04:18:16 pm »

These where very helpful tips and I did find an area with some gorillas and have now started a new embark, those gorillas will be the pinnacle of my military and I will have much fun with them  :D thanks for the input guys

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:49:24 pm »

Don't forget, you'll need DFHack to allow the children to grow to full size. Either that, or edit the raws to have them pop out at full size.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:04 pm »

If elves are able to bring them, you can fix the diplomat position (modding w/o regen or DFHack, which does that), and request them.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.