Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )  (Read 19660 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Good point there. Hadn't occured to me, though perhaps it should have
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Should I go back to talk to the halfling regarding who did it/what was stolen? I have some more money now, so...

Also, I believe it's before midday. We could either wait or go to the Sluice after lunch? Or visit Mrs Wood first?

(on phone and can't post IC yet)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

I'd warn against using the same contact too much, in too short a time frame. I'd point out you had a chance to ask her, but took your leave-which was good for any future business relationship, surely. She gave you a lot of information that certainly put her in danger-those who take too many risks with that information will not endeared to her.

Just putting that out there. :P

And yeah, your party has squirreled away the morning. It's near noon now! Tho time is usually kept in some sort of stasis lock until everyone decides to do something.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile

We should visit Ms Wood first so we can actually identify the body and I can get a sample of the dead guy's clothing for searching for him with scent incase he gets up and walks off.

And yeah, the death of the thief in the first place is strange. Why kill him before getting back what he stole? Weird...

Also, hah! I didn't expect an actual demonic presence in the priest's quest! Good curveball Dwarmin.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yes ok, let's go see Mrs Wood (perhaps just one or two of us and perhaps not Ari) and then get questing as soon as we can. If no one else does I will post to this effect IC in a couple of hours :)

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hum.

Culise's character sheet has 37 health.  I believe it should have 15.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, even with LA 2, she's still level 3...

I just said she go ahead and take 3 levels of hit dice for her class-it was either that or take 2 levels of fey. I'm a bit foggy on the exact rules, but I don't think LA races only get one hit dice-it means an LA+5 race would have like, 10 HP at level 6? And if they do, that's dumb and I'm changing it.

She should have 35 HP tho I might have missed something on her sheet.

Max at level 1, avg every level after. So 15+10+10.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, even with LA 2, she's still level 3...

I just said she go ahead and take 3 levels of hit dice for her class-it was either that or take 2 levels of fey. I'm a bit foggy on the exact rules, but I don't think LA races only get one hit dice-it means an LA+5 race would have like, 10 HP at level 6? And if they do, that's dumb and I'm changing it.

She should have 35 HP tho I might have missed something on her sheet.

Max at level 1, avg every level after. So 15+10+10.
That's precisely how Level Adjustment works; your level is strictly considered higher than it actually is.  Racial Hit Dice are what you're doing.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, glad I changed it then.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

OK, thanks for the corrections, and I've applied them to my sheet.  To be honest, though, I was fine with 15 HP; that's what I expected when I picked an LA +2 race. ^_^

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All right. It made no sense to me!

But the records shows it was available :P

Frankly, I was more worried about Tyrileaf who by these rules has 5 HP...at level three...

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, glad I changed it then.
The LA value represents the minimum stats a creature would have when they had reached adulthood.  A LA+2 creature is the (rough) equivalent of a third level Human just by having existed.

High level adjustment races almost universally have large amounts of Racial Hit Dice.  An Illithid, for example, has Level Adjustment +7 AND 8 Racial Hit Dice, so a PC Illithid would be ECL 15 if they have no class levels.  There ARE no weaker "adult" Illithids; if they're weaker than 8 racial hit dice then they're still juvenile/adolescent.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it gives me a headache.

I suppose a non-petal sorcerer with the same CON would only have 11 HP.

But petals also have cold iron/5 damage reduction, which I didn't notice till now.

So I guess it balances out...?

I won't make Gilgamesh change his char tho, if I didn't catch something like that. 5 HP isn't going to break the game.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Wait, what? I have 2 levels of fey (d6+1, so thats 6+1 and 4+1) and one of sorcerer (1d4,+1, so 3+1) to make 7+5+4 = 16.

Is that wrong? Why? I thought that was how you did it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, what? I have 2 levels of fey (d6+1, so thats 6+1 and 4+1) and one of sorcerer (1d4,+1, so 3+1) to make 7+5+4 = 16.

Is that wrong? Why? I thought that was how you did it.
That's Racial Hit Dice.  Level Adjustment is plainly "your level is considered 2 higher than what it is."  Racial Hit Dice is "your race is tougher than most, so have 2 'free' levels."  Racial Hit Dice is better early, but worse later, because Level Adjustment is frequently allowed to "bought off;" which is reducing the Adjustment at later levels (the system for reducing Level Adjustment is: Every LAx3 class levels(LA=2 x 3=6, so at level 6) you can lose experience equal to your (Effective Character Level x 1000) in order to reduce your LA by 1.  You'll go from Level 8 to Level 7, however because you will need less experience to level up from that point onward AND you will earn more experience against equivalent challenges than you would have before, you'll catch up fairly quickly.

For Level Adjustment +2 races, they can "buy off" their Level Adjustments at Class Level 6 and Level 9.  For a Level Adjustment +1, they can buy theirs off at Class Level 3.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16