Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )  (Read 19625 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )
« Reply #210 on: December 12, 2013, 11:06:40 am »

Oh, right, Weapon Finesse only affects attack rolls, and not damage rolls.  Oopsie. ^_^

I can finagle that rule if you like-make finessable weapons take DEX for damage in preference to STR. Ari would probably like that rule as well.

I like all my characters being useful...
I don't mind either way.  I'm not exactly overly fond of having the rules bent for only my sake, especially since in the long run, the -2 from STR will be more than counterbalanced by enchantment damage bonuses on her weapons and whatever strength-enhancing items we pick up, not to mention the regular stat increases we get every few levels.  Still, if it would benefit lawastooshort as well, I can't really dismiss it out of hand.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )
« Reply #211 on: December 12, 2013, 11:16:18 am »

Since it is DEX / precision related, perhaps it would make sense to have it as a limited bonus, i.e. as applying only to those creatures susceptible to sneak attacks?

Or not, just thinking.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2013, 09:47:45 am »

Alright bad(?) news-this game is going on mini-hiatus since I'm moving into a new apartment, which it will take a little time to everything. By which I mean, no internet access.

Lucky for me and us, my new apartment is literally in walking distance of my current one :P Furniture will be easy to move!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2013, 09:55:27 am »

Ok well we will still be here, happy moving dwarmin :)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 25, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »

How goes the hiatus?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2013, 01:17:45 pm »

Over :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »

Awesome.

They look possibly mean.

Now, I have a potion or two on me, but stupidly I threw all my alchemy stuff and only have smoke.

It'd probably make sense to kill the big one and the magicky one first, or at least the magicky one, right?

I could turn invisible and sneak in and open proceedings with a nice stabbing and hope very hard I don't die?

Or, invisibly sneak in, pour oil on their feet and set it on fire!

What should we do?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2013, 04:36:21 pm »

Well, they did spot you once, and they'll probably notice if the oil starts flowing around them.  It might work, but it'll probably work better if they have a threat right in front of them to attract their attention away from you while you do your trick.  That is to say, while the rest of us come in from the front.

I actually almost hope they don't fall asleep, though it'll definitely make things easier battle-wise.  Might be tricky for Eirlys to justify killing a defenseless sleeping opponent, especially since we don't really know what wrongdoings these folk have done other than robbery (specifically, stealing both corpses and their possessions) and trying to kill us when we went in to retrieve what they stole, even if they'd do the same to us in a heartbeat if we were the ones incapacitated; much easier to do it in a case of self-defense.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2013, 04:39:24 pm »

Yes, I'm not sure Ari could coldbloodedly murder five sleeping creatures whatever type they are...

Okay, we should put down caltrops and marbles (can oil make them slip?? Is a pint of oil on the floor lit by a tinderstick likely to do anything? At least if they trip we can stab them up) and then you can go and sing at them?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »

Oil doesn't seem to be slick enough for grease, but it's definitely flammable.

Oil
A pint of oil burns for 6 hours in a lantern. You can use a flask of oil as a splash weapon. Use the rules for alchemist’s fire, except that it takes a full round action to prepare a flask with a fuse. Once it is thrown, there is a 50% chance of the flask igniting successfully.

You can pour a pint of oil on the ground to cover an area 5 feet square, provided that the surface is smooth. If lit, the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 1d3 points of fire damage to each creature in the area.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2013, 05:20:10 pm »

Ah - thanks - probably not worth the effort for 1d3 damage, unless it might put them off. Caltrops and marbles might be nice though.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2013, 12:50:02 am »

I think luring them into an ambush is the ideal thing to do here. Ari should definitely go for that squishy spellcaster if he can, or at least hide and wait until the trogs pass him and then flank with me and the skeletons for some juicy sneak attacks. I approve of the singing tactic too.

Personally, I think that it's obvious that these trogs and kobolds are evil and are up to no good at all. If they were given a chance to lash out at the surface dwelling folk, then they probably would just out of spite. I mean, Ari even felt the shivers just LOOKING at them and they worship an obviously evil god. As for killing them in their sleep, Grace would pause for a bit but still kill them in a quick and merciful fashion, knowing that they died relatively peacefully despite the fact that they would show no such kindness to others.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2013, 03:13:37 am »

Okay. Dwarmin, is there space in the corridor for them to rush past an invisible rogue without brushing against me? If so I will take a position where I can turn invisible if they don't sleep and do chase.

Although an alcove next to a grease or marble patch would be best. I could hide in it and stab anyone who fell over. Probably would need to be invisible then.

Edit: it does say they want to protect the threshold, so perhaps they won't come out...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:17:16 am by lawastooshort »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 30, 2013, 07:30:51 am »

If they don't come out, then we simply go in after them. I'll lead with the skeletons while you and our crusader circle around the sides to attack the wizard and flank the trogs and our casters stay out of range to hammer on them. Simple and it should work, I think.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 30, 2013, 09:13:10 am »

Okay. Dwarmin, is there space in the corridor for them to rush past an invisible rogue without brushing against me? If so I will take a position where I can turn invisible if they don't sleep and do chase.

Although an alcove next to a grease or marble patch would be best. I could hide in it and stab anyone who fell over. Probably would need to be invisible then.

Edit: it does say they want to protect the threshold, so perhaps they won't come out...

I'd say it's not exactly the cleanest cut corridor-there would be plenty of cracks and shadows to duck into. Kobolds build it like that for this reason.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16