Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )  (Read 19628 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2013, 01:54:41 pm »

Well, the choke point might help us, too; we can have Gracie and Eirlys forward to physically block the way out, then have the others behind casting spells over their shoulders into the room.  But, while that's fine against particularly dumb animals or other creatures, that doesn't help if they're smart enough to simply fall back a bit or move to the sides, where the spellcasters can't reach them. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:57:00 pm by Culise »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 PbP: Oasis/Adventures in Hightown (OOC and Sign up thread 5/6 spots )
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2013, 04:47:23 am »

Does our Necromancer need to post?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2013, 04:58:54 am »

I coulda posted but I was sleeping :P

The weekends are always going to be sort of busy for me. I try to update when I can but I'm usually not in a very creative mood.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2013, 05:36:52 am »

I just wondered - I can't really complain about irregular updating, can I...

:)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2013, 05:44:44 am »

Hmm, gotta fill a cave with monsters.

Let's populate it with fanatical, intelligent super stinky lizardmen...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 03, 2013, 05:50:10 am »

Yes! Vomit!

edit: I don't know if it is possible to apply a healing check to shorten the vomiting time?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:55:16 am by lawastooshort »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 03, 2013, 06:07:33 am »

@Lawas: There's no rules for it, but if we treat the effect as a sort of poison (which it is, since creatures immune to poison wouldn't be affected by it) you'd be able to cure this sickness with a Dc13 heal check.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:27 am »

Ok - I've edited my action, but it might not be clear.

I suggest we all get in, so that the enemy can't hold the entrance against us - hopefully there is a choke point where we can hold them off inside. Then, if the rest of us can protect me, I'll try to Heal Gracewyn (10 rounds is a lot of vomit). THEN, I'll ready an alchemist's fire.

Hopefully raising the alarm and coming to the attack will take them more than two turns.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2013, 09:40:21 am »

I was unclear!

It fled down the larger path, actually.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2013, 09:44:00 am »

Ok, gotta watch out for the downsides to close range scent... That was quite unpleasant. (Not to mention rolling a 1 on my Fort save...)

Now that we are inside, we need to move fast if we're gonna fight these guys before they set defences.

Good news is that I can sort of manage group fighting, due to a manoeuvre I have chosen, and with my polearm I have reach so I can use the skeletons as a living barricade and still hit or trip the lizards and when the skeletons fall, I can switch to my greatsword and go to town. Since they seem weaker than they should, I should hopefully be able to mince these guys up and plow on through with ranged assistance.

Bad news is that they probably have traps, ambushes and choke points set up for that sort of thing. If we press on down the main tunnel, we leave ourselves open to flanking from the rear via the small tunnel, and if we press down the small tunnel, its the same thing but we are limited to a crawl and one person at a time.

Here's what I'm thinking: I could block off the small tunnel with a large and heavy bit of rubble/rock and we move quickly down the main tunnel while surprise is on our side. We can't give them time to prepare and regroup, so we had better move fast but watch out for tripwires/pits/traps etc (probably send the skeletons first for that). Then, we clean house and slaughter these suckers. It would also be good if we could catch that runner before he sets off the alarm, but I'm not counting on that.

Thoughts?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:51 am »

i am very glad for my cloak of resistance.
Attack wise I can support from the back with magic and crossbow... and away from the smell.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:45 am »

Yeah, since Lawas passed his knowledge check you'd all know (assuming he'd say so :P ) that the range of the stink is about 30 ft, though Grace got a face blast beyond that since she was using her scent ability.

So those in the back will generally be safe from it, unless something closes with you. And even then, sickening is only really painful for characters actively striking in a melee. And even then, actually passing the save makes you immune to that particular stink for 24 hours or so-not that a separate stink can't strike you again...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:41 am »

I've got caltrops, and Ari has marbles, but those won't help much if the enemy gets stationary defense assembled.  Still, I can get into their square and spread some love; this gadfly is a bit more dangerous with her rapier than her guisarme, and from the last battle, I suspect the increased damage output will be more important than the increased threat range for these levels.

Blocking off the side tunnel for now seems like a good notion; the beast was probably too large for it considering it was a human-sized crocodile, but its existence and the signs that it was recently added suggest strongly that we'll be dealing with small creatures as well.  We can scout it out once we clear the main route, if it looks like it goes somewhere separate.  I suspect we're going to be quite glad for low-light vision in the coming move in.  ^_^

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:45 am »

This will just end with vomit over everything. You can really see the dwarf fortress influence here.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41:59 am »

I just had the mental image of us charging into the final room of some future dungeon to find a blackguard/Paladin of Tyranny, whose battle cry is "Now you will know why you fear the knight." >_<
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16