Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh crap...Oh crap--it's dead already?  (Read 847 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Oh crap...Oh crap--it's dead already?
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:05:03 am »

Talk about anti-climactic.

I had an FB arrive in the caverns, a towering quadruped of faint yellow diamond, breathing frost.  he stomped around the land areas, then ended up in the lake right below where my up/down staircase opened up.  I hadn't managed to hatch cover all the stairs yet (got distracted by two gobbo sieges).  I suddenly get injury reports, and there he is, down in the lake, trying to hawk frozen loogies up at my dwarves.  I'd made a well nearby, my dwarves were meeting there...so I quickly freed up the room and ordered them to burrows...

...aaaaand they were all stuck, because the frozen FB breath had created blockages.  I had about 50 dwarves in there, too.  So they all started blocking up, smashing together, like something out of a panic scene in a movie.  there was a diagonal path around the frozen breath, but not all of them could get through.  So I try having my miners dig out a path, but keep getting "Oh teh noes scary!" cancellation spam.  Meanwhile, the trapped dwarves are flashing thirsty, and I was thinking back to the event a few years' prior where 3/4 of my 160 dwarves had died of thirst... the military obviously can't reach it and I was doubting they could kill it anyway..

Finally, it makes its way up and in (how, I don't know, it doesn't fly, maybe all FB's are related to Jason Voorhees and can teleport) and I send my military after it.  While they're making their way down, one of my engravers beats on it with her fists, and a dog is chewing on it.  The two of them manage some significant damage on it.  Then the military comes in and..... it's gone.  Dead after less than a minute of real time.

Aren't FB's made of diamond supposed to be super tough?  I think that one was made of those plastic gems on cheap dress-up toys instead :P  Mind, most of my military is legendary Axe and or Hammer Lords in steel and bronze.

feel free to share your own anticlimactic encounters!

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh crap...Oh crap--it's dead already?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:23:14 am »

Breathing frost? Which mod is that?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:22 am »

No mod, it was just how I described it.  It had deadly breath, and the game described it as 'frozen FB extract' or somesuch.  what I do know is if can't be pathed through, nor cleared away.  You have to wait it out, or at least that was what happened to me.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:26:58 pm »

Most gems have the default stone values for fracturing, I think, so they breaks really easily.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:11:53 pm »

No mod, it was just how I described it.  It had deadly breath, and the game described it as 'frozen FB extract' or somesuch.  what I do know is if can't be pathed through, nor cleared away.  You have to wait it out, or at least that was what happened to me.

'Frozen' is a misleading term in this sense. It's the same logic as how a machine gun shoots frozen lead.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 04:42:33 pm »

Ah, makes sense to me.

Also, I did think that Gem FBs were a big deal for some reason, maybe because I'd read stories of them being well-nigh unkillable, but when I think about it, bolts  and swords wouldn't do much damage on that sort of thing.

'Frozen' is a misleading term in this sense. It's the same logic as how a machine gun shoots frozen lead.