Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few Questions  (Read 1118 times)

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few Questions
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 11:51:33 am »

14.(I Think its 14.) Ask questions?Im sure someone will answer?
15.Anyone knows why my military does not Equip items I ordered them to have it,I have It,They just drop it they go into battle with a quiver of arrows
Remind me never to leave you in charge of a fort that requires basic math to survive.

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:03 am »

:P most of these questions are my problems.Not trolling
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:56:55 am by Thief »
Remind me never to leave you in charge of a fort that requires basic math to survive.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 04:28:39 pm »

15. It's a bug, bit dfhack can help.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 04:51:13 pm »

This specifically talks about getting help for software coding, but it applies in this case too:

http://whathaveyoutried.com/
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 04:11:02 am »

16.Is their a way to get rid of vermin without cats? They eat my Stuff,And Pester my Dwarves. (Genesis Mod)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 07:53:01 am »

The most accessible alternative are trappers: you have to construct "animal traps", e.g. at the carpenter's shop (this already requires the trapping skill), then build a 'kennel' from the building menu and order "catch live land animal" from there. One trapper per kennel will then grab an animal trap and try to catch a random vermin creature. They're pretty slow, especially at low skill, but can keep a rat colony in check if you lack vermin-hunting animals (only cats and peregrine falcons in vanilla; the falcons sometimes show up as wild animals in temperate and cool surroundings, but they must be caught in cage traps and tamed before use). You can also order animal traps to be constructed as buildings (b-m); this way, multiple "catching jobs" can be active per trapper, but such built traps consume food for baiting and are generally harder to manage.

Putting food in containers - barrels and large pots - already makes it inaccessible for vermin. Sorting your food stockpiles so that barrels are used whenever they're not extremely counterproductive (seeds!) helps usually.

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 09:36:09 am »

17.What is the Syntax for create-item and give me an example item.
18.Need Anything?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 10:28:31 am »

On 16: you can also give animals that typically hunt vermin in real life (kestrels, stoats and their kin for example) the [VERMIN_HUNTER] tag if you want, no regen needed. Though you could give it to dogs if you wanted to, there is really no restriction to what you can put the tag on.

17. I'm not familiar with the create item thing, however the DFhack readme has some examples that can help you.

18. I don't need anything, thanks.

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 09:14:21 am »

19/20.Can you recommend some mods,for i am bored

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 04:57:07 am »

19/20.Can you recommend some mods,for i am bored

Well, you could try DF from Scratch (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0), where pretty much everything was removed from the game, and modders are now taking turns at putting in their own designs to form a functioning world. Probably not the most complete mod ever, but the thread about its development is a good read and the different races allow for some fun, from the tiny little halflings who are fairly vanilla (but live in villages, only have a mayor, and can pelt rocks with great strength),  the Formics who have short-lived drone castes, shorter lived worker castes, and immortal queens, the lizard folk who live in swamps and have (recently weakened due to being OP) paralysing blood, and many more still in the works. As it is from scratch though, there are no more random demons/FBs, hell is now made of ice, and you may have to take some time to learn what the vanilla equivalent of each materiel is (or if there even is one yet, last I checked they were busy making fruit). Overall, a rather enjoyable mod.

If that doesn't interest you, then I suggest you check out the Masterwork mod (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125633.0), if you haven't already. Its rather popular and even has its own sub-forum. While I've never played it myself (and thus can't go into much detail), I hear good things about it in the forums, and the stories tend to be rather entertaining. If it doesn't float your boat, then just go to the modding section and see what does interest you.
I hope I answered your question adequately.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Thief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 04:12:19 am »

Best answer.
21.Does anyone know a Great moding tool/tutorial (exclude raw explorer)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 01:11:31 pm »

21. Check the wiki.
Pages: 1 [2]