Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Waht to do wirh lead?  (Read 2293 times)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waht to do wirh lead?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 07:39:24 am »

Molten metal unfortunately isn't a liquid, it's counted as a "glob" item which either dissolves completely or is brought to the food stockpile and cleaned up. (Yes, the food stockpile, all "glob" items - fat, tallow, frozen milk, wax and rock nut cake, but also molten metal - are counted as food by default.)

You can always go and order "stud with lead" jobs on repeat. Removes the lead from your stockpiles, trains your metalcrafters, adds modest-value decorations to stuff (as opposed to generating new stuff that takes up storage space) and costs no fuel.
Or you can cast blocks from it and use it to build roofs.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 08:04:11 am »

I would really like multi material weapons, like arrows with a lead body for mass and steel tip for puncturing, or spear with a wooden shaft to make it lighter and a steel point for damage (how crazy would that be!!??).

Things are too quiet in my fort now, maybe i should build a giant statue in the surface. Or a giant hammer i can drop on invaders. Maybe both.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 09:11:58 am »

If wood is scarce, it can be used to make cages or other things you wouldn't want to waste a real metal on.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 09:37:55 am »

If wood is scarce, it can be used to make cages or other things you wouldn't want to waste a real metal on.

They'd be too heavy to be hauled around easily.

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 09:47:54 am »

What about decorating with lead? I'm not sure if decoration adds to the weight of an object, but spiking out all your exports with lead will help boost your trade and lose the excess metal.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 10:19:11 am »

Lead Bins! YES LEAD BINS. BURN THE WOOD. LEAD POTS, BINS, BUCKETS AND WHEELBARROWS!
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 10:21:34 am »

Lead Bins!
Not only are lead bins effective for any stockpile that doesn't need the bins moved, they're also useful in the event of total fortress loss and reclamation. Heavier materials (and objects in bins made of heavier materials) don't move as far when your fortress gets trashed post loss.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 10:35:57 am »

URIST McHULK (Tame) HAS BECOME ENRAGED!

Urist McBruceBanner cancels !!Science!!:  Hulking Out.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 12:00:55 pm »

Not only are lead bins effective for any stockpile that doesn't need the bins moved, they're also useful in the event of total fortress loss and reclamation. Heavier materials (and objects in bins made of heavier materials) don't move as far when your fortress gets trashed post loss.

I've made lead bins before.  I'd suggest moving your magma smelting up to the main fortress levels before making a bunch of them.  They take FOREVER to haul.

Till

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:12 pm »

Q: I have to much of something, what should I do with it?
A: Weaponize it.

Build lead minecarts, place them on top of a ramp and carve tracks, that lead (pun not intended) through your main entrance. If Goblins, Elves or other unwanted creatures enter give the carts a push...

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 12:45:27 pm »

-Stockpile it on a retracting bridge above your main entrance, or in the wildenerness.
-Link retracting bridge to pressure plate one level below.
-Wait for something stupid (goblins, children elves, cats, wild elephants) to trigger said pressure plate.
-???
-Profit.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 01:07:32 pm »

Q: I have to much of something, what should I do with it?
A: Weaponize it.

Build lead minecarts, place them on top of a ramp and carve tracks, that lead (pun not intended) through your main entrance. If Goblins, Elves or other unwanted creatures enter give the carts a push...

No. You're doing it wrong. Build a giant lead shotgun by speeding up minecarts full of lead bars and stopping them with track stops.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 01:28:02 pm »

I can hardly imagine why would you want to dump your metal. If you want to get rid of it and not waste fuel, stud things with lead. It's free, it removes lead from stockpiles and if you lucky improve something that matters.

And, well, having tons of crafts of all sorts is a reward on its own.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 02:12:12 pm »

I think ill just dump the lead, i almost depleted the galena and the noticed i have tetraedrite close to the magmaworks, so ill make copper crafts
Where are the lead bars, relative to the magmaworks? If they're pretty close, then make lead crafts and save the copper for something else. Despite its weakness, it is weapons-grade. If the lead bars are far away, build a regular forge nearby and let your metalcrafter slowly hoover up the bars. They'll need a steady supply of studdable items, though -- how about some copper bolts?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 03:35:13 pm »

I thought the standard use of lead was to make goblets then give them to the elves as "gifts"

Haha, this is what I did in a recent fort. The elves brought home many hundreds of them over the years.
Pages: 1 [2]