Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waht to do wirh lead?  (Read 2297 times)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Waht to do wirh lead?
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »

I made a large silver indusrty, getting magma forges and smelters working. First i made silber bolts for defense, now im making silver furniture for my dwarves.
My main source of silver is galena, so i also get lots of lead, i have over 500 bars now and i dont know what to do with it.

I could make lead crafts to train metalcrafters, for that i shuold build extra forges.

Are lead bolts better than silver?

I wish i could make spiked lead balls.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Waht to do wirh lead?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:27:29 pm »

bolts are made in the weapons section, and lead is not a weapons grade material, so no lead bolts.

theoretically though, the damage of each bolt is determined partially by its weight. since lead is heavier than silver, it should be stronger.

lead is usually too heavy for most purposes, such as pots or even crafts, since it's a bitch to carry. Lead can be used in constructions, such as walls or floors, but good luck getting dwarves to carry that.

other than that, lead is also good for minecarts. lead minecart's inertia means any goblin that comes in front of a moving one will be squished, making it a dangerous weapon.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:39:20 pm »

I think ill just dump the lead, i almost depleted the galena and the noticed i have tetraedrite close to the magmaworks, so ill make copper crafts

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:40:32 pm »

Coffins, make from that lead coffins...

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:46:01 pm »

Build a huge vault out of lead and stockpile all of your pitchblende inside of it.  Then make it the bedroom of your least-liked noble.  Sure, it won't actually kill them, but you can dream...
Sanity is for the weak.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:45:51 am »

Build a huge vault out of lead and stockpile all of your pitchblende inside of it.  Then make it the bedroom of your least-liked noble.  Sure, it won't actually kill them, but you can dream...

I dont have pitchblende :(

Also, what if said noble becomes a huge raging mass of green muscles running around wearing only XXtrousersXX?

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:47:16 am »

I always used my lead for making toys which I would trade to the elves for exotic foreign booze.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:21 am »

I dont have pitchblende :(

Also, what if said noble becomes a huge raging mass of green muscles running around wearing only XXtrousersXX?

No granite, eh?  Well that's a shame.  And if you have a Dwarf suddenly gain super-powers from radiation poisoning (as opposed to dying in their sleep as you might expect), you can just weaponize them during the next siege.
Sanity is for the weak.

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 01:26:04 am »

I thought the standard use of lead was to make goblets then give them to the elves as "gifts"
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:57:46 am »

URIST McHULK (Tame) HAS BECOME ENRAGED!
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:28 am »

I thought the standard use of lead was to make goblets then give them to the elves as "gifts"

Better yet: make lead barrels and give to the elves

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 02:53:46 am »

Make the lead into flasks, make every member of the fort part of a militia and have them carry the flasks.

The weight will make them stronger. It's passive training.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Kumis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 04:34:58 am »

Furniture. If you have bituminous coal, lignite or definitely in the case of magma furnaces then you probably have enough fuel to churn out furniture enough for everyone as well as a door for every doorway.

The advantage is furniture like tables, chests, etc. only ever need to be hauled once.
Dodók Medtobór,
What are you trying to hunt?
Y u no find path?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:33 am »

I said im making all furniture out of silver.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 06:05:30 am »

If we could make molten metal, you could pour it on the elves... Having that then turn their bodies into statues to be placed around your fort would be that much better. Maybe someday.
Pages: [1] 2