Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Kalpa: A Game of Divinity  (Read 20721 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Kalpa: A Game of Divinity (Two Ascendents Available!)
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2013, 05:53:07 pm »

"...Industrialization is not merely a knee-jerk reaction, Teskort. I'm not a god of nature, and I never really will be- I simply want what's best for my people. I mean, that's not to say I won't be checking damage to the environment, but... "

"Two of your neighbors are gods of nature, and fishing depends on nature being healthy. Fishing doesn't require boats, or fuel, or processing plants. Your people could exist happily in a much more simple state if not for the war. I'm sure you'd at least consider the issue up for debate during peacetime."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »

"You're probably right. Nonetheless, as it is, I intend to teach my people to work in ways that help nature, not harm it."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2013, 12:23:22 am »

"You're probably right. Nonetheless, as it is, I intend to teach my people to work in ways that help nature, not harm it."

Teskort shakes his head, and briefly munches on some strange herbs in the barrel strapped to his neck. "You just don't learn, do you? You saw what became of those fish you made. How well your people handled that mess... I don't think they can be made to give a damn. But I'll give you a chance to prove me wrong, If only because last time I tried to punish your people Nam'qa decided to help me in doing so, and now the plague fish are my responsibility, and I'm still trying to figure out how to best take care of those beasts."

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2013, 02:44:16 am »

'WAIT! I have another solution to this mess. One without the death of a god. But for this I would need a cage, and a pledge of aid from you all....'

Those who will support this, say so now. Psaras, if you would support this, go to the most advanced of your networlds. have them build a prison, inescapable, with but a single cell. And have them ready, on your word, to place in that cell the oldest, most infirm individual amongst them, so that the flesh is weak.'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2013, 08:27:28 am »

"We see your design, and fear it will fail."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2013, 10:01:59 am »

"...Elaborate."

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2013, 01:39:23 am »

Croak croak croak.

Fools. These gods never understand what they are doing. Eradicating me from the world means your minions will get immorality, and soon will take the mantle against... you.

Devise several diseases which affects the mortal races. They are weak in itself, but its effect will accumulate so much that an older organism will have lower rate of survival. Make sure that the mortal races do not see this as a disease, but only the proper effect of aging.

Make sure that anyone who contracted the previous diseases are immune to the effect of this new... contraption.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:09:40 am by evilcherry »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:37 pm »

"Once again, elaborate. I will not go with a plan not explained to me."

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:52 pm »

"I think he is implying that the plaugebringer's foes bind him to the mortal realm in a weak and imprisoned body. I could not support the containment of a being as wild as Nam'qa. I also suspect that no matter how weak you make his body, a god will always be more than a match for any structure build by mortal hubris."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 08:08:29 pm »

"...Let me confirm this with him. ...Feros! You want to attempt to imprison a god, a being who constantly leaks energy, who IS the plague, and you want to do this on my most important Networld?

Do you not see the issue with this?
"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:47 pm »

"We do not see an issue with this.

"We see many issues with this."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2013, 06:08:17 am »

'Who perhaps leaks energy, and perhaps not. If we pool our power, then I believe we shall be able to strip him of that which exceeds his form, and lock him away without harming this world further. If you have a better solution, put it forward, and  let us be done with this!'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Kalpa: A Game of Divinity
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2013, 05:27:15 am »

Turn 5: Just The Beginning

The Sunfather and the Fisher, though their Children had been enemies since the times of Creation, made their will known.

There would be peace.

The Nets would be changed; they would not impede the travel of the Demons or their kin, only those of the Plague. With this removed, the Wildlings were now able to conduct their grand purge of the Plague. The 13, now blessed with greater power through the Gems, were commanded by the Exalted to take command of a Photosphere, each manned by a thousand Wildlings. This was of course a very difficult course of action to undertake; although all served the Sunfather, all were also loyal to their Clans. The Clans divided the Wildlings into factions of Lineage and Custom; all had their own ideas on how to go about their lives and all had a disdain for those who did not agree. The effective assimilation of several Clans, who in some cases had never had any contact with each other, under the command of a Chaplain who had become leader by Appointment rather than Skill was not taken lightly. Divisions between Clans only became more distinct on the Plaguebreakers; Blood rather than Duty came first. Worse yet, the order had come without consultation; the Clans were not subservient to the Exalted, only respectful. A demand by the Exalted, one which was not directly in service to the Sunfather, was seen as an abuse of power...And yet, at least for now, most remained loyal. The Plague was a bigger threat.

With tenuous support, the Exalted began negotiations with the Children. Aided by the Ascendent's innate essence, he and his Chaplains were able to comprehend the tongues of others through contact. Sol observed the states and tribes of the Children and came to the conclusion that that the relatively large country of "Kessoh" on the world of "Feimel" would be the first target of Wildling diplomacy. While initial contact was hostile due to the nature of Sol's linguistic knowledge, both sides came to the agreement that the Plagued were a common problem. The nominal leaders of Kessoh decided that they would attempt to bring the Plagued to the Demons of the Sun and would try to advise other states to do the same.

With this agreement, the Wildlings now had a reliable source of...subjects...for their tests. Despite many attempts and casualties, the Wildlings were still unable to manufacture a cure to deal with the Plague beyond the traditional method of outright contact. Though the knowledge of the Blessed had been extracted from negotiation and interrogation, no other cure was forthcoming. It would seem that only by divine intervention could the Plague be cured. For now, the Wildlings would have to rely on the Sunfather and perhaps even the aid of the Blessed. And so, with no other cure available, the Solar Exalted ordered the Plaguebreakers to begin their holy Duty of purging the various worlds of their sickness. Able to sense concentrations of the Plague through the Gems and manned by hundreds of Wildlings, the Plaguebreakers would always be able to significantly reduce the Plague on many worlds but never truly destroy it; there was always an organism left out, always something they had missed. And from such mistakes, did the Plague spread from again, resulting in the world falling once again to the Plague, before being visited by a Plaguebreaker, restarting the Cycle anew.

The Walls are Breaking.

While the Children haphazardly negotiated with the Wildlings and fought the Plagued, their more eccentric members were suddenly gifted with inspiration and ingenuity; discoveries and inventions of the medical and martial type were soon promulgated throughout the Networlds. Soon enough, a small minority of Children were able to understand how exactly medicine and disease worked, even understanding that small creatures were responsible for the spread of disease. In some communities, a few even attempted basic inoculation, with mixed results. Regardless of their success, this new knowledge was soon put to use in society...to an extent. While the medical knowledge was seen as useful, it was not seen as divine and in fact, detrimental to an individual's piety. The Fisher had created the Blessed to end the Plague; medicine to simply improve one's health or extend one's life was seen as a lack of trust in the Fisher and more obviously, a danger to the lofty lifestyles of many of the Blessed. While not outright banned, use of such technologies was limited and often used only by the desperate or outcasts, such as the Heretics who did not abide by the Blessed or their rulings.

The martial technology that was invented was more readily accepted. Usually non-lethal, they made use of certain poisons and shapes to produce unconsciousness rather than death. They were meant to capture the Plagued for either curing by the Blessed or testing by the Demons. That said, not all had the same idea. Others used their new-found knowledge to wage war, understanding that disabling the enemy army on the field of battle was just as good as outright killing them; slaves and sacrifices were useful while a corpse was not.

While medicine and weaponry were indeed the highlights of this Renaissance, a few inventors came up with the idea of platforms that rested on the water's surface. From such places individuals could fish or rest; useful for an amphibious species. Some, in their foresight, equipped such platforms with sails and other amenities so that they could be moved. In time, such platforms became known as 'boats', mainly used as resting or fishing areas.

One final development was the maturity of the Blessed One who would lead His people into the Golden Age of the Future. His name was Neiden.

With technological advancement, a truce with the Demons and the Plague receding, the Children of the Networlds were, for a time, at peace.

The Walls are Breaking.

The Prophets, through clandestine trade and observation, were also able to absorb the knowledge of the Children. Medical knowledge, for use against wounds, was widely promulgated. Advances in warfare, coupled with the natural attributes of many Plagued, made the forces of many Followers difficult for the Children to deal with. Though strong, the Prophets were still at an obvious disadvantage on the Networlds due to the ease at which the Blessed and Demons could end the plague, as well as the apparent peace between the Children and Wildlings. Their numbers were steadily if slowly, declining. Without intervention, the Followers of Namq'ua would disappear from the Networlds; a simple part of history and nothing more.

Amongst the other worlds, a different story played out. Due to the heavy consumption of the Plague Fish, many cultures now openly or secretly worshiped the Pestilent Lord, embracing the Plague and what it represented. Mutation, Equality and Skill were values to be proud of rather than the rigid customs of the Children. This said, their piety and belief in Namq'ua's faith did little to appease the Demons who arrived upon their so-called Plaguebreakers. Offered the ancient choice of cure or death, the pious of course chose to fight back. Though Demons could destroy the Blessings of the Followers with ease, they could not defeat each and every Prophet; whole tribes or worlds would be purged only to be restored once again from a single individual. It seemed, to the Prophets, that the Demons of the Sun were once again the Raider and the Followers the Raided. Such was the way of things.

The Walls are Breaking.

The Nomads of Teskort, those who bore the mark of the Antler and Plague, had for the most part disdained the technology of the Children or the Cure offered by both Blessed and Wildling. They would follow their own way, as ordained by the King of Beasts. Yes, the Demons would come and take them, and yes the Blessed would cure many of their number, but the Way of the Antlers would continue, forevermore. Through persecution and despair, the truth of Teskort would live and breathe. Such was life.

Such an outlook would not however be possible without the wisdom of Teskort's newest creations, the Elder Penguins. A race of Ocean-farers, they travelled the worlds with the goal of preaching Teskort's divine truth as well as the lifestyle such truth entailed. With their aid, the various worshipers of Teskort, separated by many thousands of leagues of Ocean, were connected through wisdom and word. A standardised doctrine was for the first time created amongst the Plaguebearers. Through the Elder Mystics, all knew their faith and place in life and none regretted their choice. Teskort was truth, Teskort was great and Teskort was right.

The Walls are Breaking.

While the first of Namq'ua's concoctions was nearing it's death, the Lord of Disease knew not to rely on only one creation. He developed seemingly harmless diseases that only affected the old. Seen as simply a part of life, most Children shrugged it off and went about living, unaware that such ailments were in fact a ploy of Namq'ua's. The Heretics, by their acceptance of all advancements, on the other hand spent time applying their knowledge of medicine to such diseases, treating many of them or at least managing them. Such developments, due to the isolation of the Heretics and their reputation, was limited to their communities.

Liram, still awaiting the arrival of his Champion, decided to formally inform his creations that they were now ally called the Quotill; all Liram-Kin and all other worshipers were now to be referred to as Quotill. While confusing the Kin, as they were the Creator's only followers, they accepted this proclomation without any observable resistance.

Finally, after many years of wandering, the Xavrax Quotix found its rightful bearer. Not a creature of flesh or spirit, Its bearer would be a creature of Liram but not-so. ZZdwi, plant matter twisted unnaturally into the form of animals would bear the blessing and curse of Liram.

While all this happened, Neyravah waited amongst his worshipers, brooding.

The Walls are Broken.

Blood, Conflict and Chaos; these were what heralded an end to a Kalpa, even one as young as this. Cracks along the walls of the Universe had grown in size an number. The Void gazed through and saw what lay within Creation. It desired it for It's own. It hungered for Matter, Emotion and Essence. It would take and devour until the Universe was a barren waste, until no god or mortal lived or died; all would be part of the Void's Non-Existence, all would be Nothing.

And so, Chaos consumed. For all their work and effort, the creations of the Gods were nothing towards the power of the Void. Whole worlds, filled with life and essence, were taken Beyond. Millions of lives, created through generations, became non-existent in an instant as the Void fed and drank, gorging itself on what it could not make.

And yet, in an instant, the Walls healed and were made solid once again. An instant, however, was enough. 15 Networlds, had been reduced to three; Feimel, Aztof and Elere. They were not what they were: they had become larger, no longer worlds that could be traveled in less than a week but ones which were great in size. To all appearances, it seemed that the remnants of the now-gone Networlds had been absorbed by the Three or become small moons, with their inhabitants intact. This merge, of course, caused extreme confusion amongst who had previously been separated by the Infinite Ocean, especially as the worlds were now much greater than they had once been. What was more shocking to them was that the Children had lived on other worlds or that other worlds even existed of their species; this was a revelation very much unexpected amongst the Children.

The Wildlings, for their part, saw many of their Photospheres disappear. Four of the Plaguebreakers and their commanding Chaplains were amongst them. The only proof that they had ever existed was the remnants of a Photosphere, dead and blackened. No light emnated from it and no life stirred; only the corpses of the sphere's inhabitants were all what remained. Strange repetitive symbols were found written on the dead world's surface, a sign of intelligence behind the Madness.

On the World of the Celestial Drakes, a new development had appeared. The very core of the world had been warped by whatever the Void had done and was now alive. It felt, it thought and it controlled. Its birth screams ruptured throughout Creation, uprooting whole forests on its crusts and causing the Sky and Oceans to rupture in collective pain. While still young and unchained, this living planet was...of interest. It was a Font, a source of Essence. It bled Essence, Essence of Creation and Death...By controlling it, an individual could become powerful....If they could but appease a child.

Along the very edges of the Universe, one final crack into the Void remained open. Too small for the Chaos of the Void to enter, too powerful for a mere mortal to approach. It's only utility was in fact, to allow the access of divine wayfarers into the Kalpa. It would remain open only until its users had arrived, and close after their arrival. Now was the time.

From the wastes of the Void, Araxiel and Illudius appeared. Gods of Judgement and Trickery respectively, they had been attracted by the scent of Essence and more importantly, a new home. Behind them, the rift closed; they would make their destinies here or die, as they were both aware.

The Nets no longer prevent the entry of Photoorganisms.
The Nets now prevent the entry or exit of the Plagued

Chaplains formed.
The Plaguebreakers are formed. Resident populations discontented with situation.
The Children undergo a Military and Medical Renaissance. Medical advancement limited by the Blessed.
Heretics surpass mainstream society in Medical technology.
Blessed One matures.
Prophets of Namq'ua acquire limited Medical and Military technology from Children.
Elder Penguins created.
Elder Penguins unify the Plaguebeasts under a common doctrine. Enforces loyalty and devotion.
Namq'ua creates several seemingly insignificant diseases affecting Children population. Undetected by most. Does not affect Plague-victims.
Quotill formed.
Networlds reduced to three planets: Feimel, Aztof and Elere.
Four Plaguebreakers disappear.
Dead Photopshere detected.
World of Celestial Drakes becomes Sentient; Is a Font of Essence.
Araxiel, The Judge, arrives.
Illudius, The Trickster, arrives.

Code: [Select]
Psaras Dorit: 2 Acts (+2)
Namq'ua:  3 Acts (+2)
Teskort: 1 Acts (+1)
Feros: 1 Acts (+1)
Liram: 1 Act (+1)
Neyravah: 2 Act (+1)
Araxiel: 1 Major Act, 1 Act
Illudius: 1 Major Act, 1 Act
Sol Raxxis: 1.5 Minor Acts (+.5)
Zzdwi:  1 Minor Act (+.5)
Neiden: 1 Minor Act (+.5)
    Spoiler: Sources of Essence (click to show/hide)

((I may or may not have left something out; this update took a while. Feel free to tell me if I have.))
       [/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
    « Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:48:31 pm by micelus »
    Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
    You win Nakeen
    Marduk is my waifu
    Inanna is my husbando

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: December 09, 2013, 09:51:55 am »

The world...was its end so near? Neyravah did not know, but did it matter? If it was ending, Neyravah would need to make sure everything was fine until the Last Day; it it was not, They would be doing much the same. But there was a new consideration...the living planet. If not dealt with, it could destroy all Neyravah had worked for. So, They contacted it.

"Greetings, Planet. Might I begin by asking what name you call yourself?"

Begin talking with the planet.
    If roleplaying extended diplomacy with the planet is not an option, then note that my goal is to convince the planet to stop being destructive and ideally form an alliance or partnership of some sort with it.
    Sig

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: December 09, 2013, 12:05:00 pm »

Neiden closed his eyes and let his mind wander as he sat cross legged in the peaceful dark of his meditation chambers. Things were getting out of hand and chaos was running rampant. Order was needed now more than ever and it was he that had been gifted by the True God above all others. Clearly it was his responsibility to bring about this new order and he would do all in his power to see it brought about.

Stepping outside, the light momentarily blinded him and he squinted against the harsh rays. Those outside who saw him bowed reverently in the Holy One's direction before scurrying along their way with heads kept low. The two personal guards that always accompanied Neiden turned and gave silent but questioning looks towards him for he had ended his meditations early.

"Call together a council, I have made an important decision."

The most important and powerful figures gathered together. None would refuse the Holy One's call. He sat before them all, tall and confident in himself and the power his Creator had given him.

"Our God... The True God... Has long been known as the Fisher God. A good name no doubt but I cannot help but notice that he has gifted us with much more than fishing. He has given us intelligence and with it the ability to spread civilization and technology. What other race, I ask of you has mirrored such accomplishments? None I tell you. Their so called gifts are either festering diseases or brute strength. Truthfully though I do not hold this against them as their lesser state is not their fault. WE are the ones who have been gifted with great intelligence and an aptitude for technology. We must continue progressing forward with our advancements and we must find ways to bring the Way of the True God, once the Fisher and now The Lord of Civilization to all corners of the world. I challenge you all to expand the borders of our holdings. To support and promote technology and science in all ways.

The plagued creatures have long held us back but I would have no more of it. As was said, I do not hold their plight against them. Alas, neither can we let them continue to set us back. It is near time we gather strength and push forward. We have been given the arts of healing by our God and we shall use them. Have the plagued rounded up or put down. Bring them not to the sun demons but to OUR healers. The sun demons do a great service to us in their mission but we cannot depend so much on them to fix a problem we have been given the power to fix ourselves. Undoubtedly it is what God wants of us. Not to depend on the sun demons but to work with them and in our own ways.

When the plagued are brought before our healers,
    we shall heal them and grant them a place in society. Those that refuse will be forced into labor regardless to help progress our industry and soon they will find that even in opposing us, they help us."

Call together the leaders of society. Persuade them all to begin supporting technological advances of all forms and to begin spreading civilization across the world. Have them capture or kill the diseased wherever possible. Those captured are cured unless they refuse in which case they are put into forced labor separate from the rest of society.

Use minor act for above if necessary.
    Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
    Sure thing peanut man!
    Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17