Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This. Is. Just. Too. Great.  (Read 2397 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This. Is. Just. Too. Great.
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »

(Sorry that I offended people so much. I think the intent of this post didn't translate well.)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133358.0

The guy obviously doesn't know much about the game, and I'm not reposting this to make fun of him*, but it's just so wonderful that I think I'll better a few lives putting it in here.

*EDIT:  Really. I mean that. He quite evidently did put a good amount of thought into his proposal. I found humor though, in the fact that the guy put quite a bit of thought into the proposal on an assumption that Toady many times has clearly said he wouldn't do. And it's apparent that I'm not the only one with this sense of humor, as evidenced by the popularity of the "Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say" thread. That's also why I didn't post it in that thread. Because it isn't stupid. It's amusingly misled.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:35:48 am by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: This. Is. Just. Too. Great.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »

Does it really need a thread? This isn't the first time somebody has suggested it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:34:59 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:34:19 pm »

So we have a thread linking to a thread that is essentially a re-post of an old idea...

Maybe I should make a thread linking to this thread telling people about it.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:55 pm »

Does this really need a thread? This isn't the first time somebody has suggested it.

Didn't fit into any particular discussion thread, yet I found it too good to ignore. If you have an aversion to microthreads like this was intended to be, feel free to ignore it and let it whoosh past to page 2 or 3 in a matter of minutes.

And yeah, it's been suggested before - doesn't make this one any less amusing.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:28 pm »

So we have a thread linking to a thread that is essentially a re-post of an old idea...

Maybe I should make a thread linking to this thread telling people about it.

I'll make another thread linking to that one, just for good measure.

(But, in all seriousness, with some exceptions it often seems like the GD boards and the actual game boards are two completely different communities. Does a link-share really bother people that much?)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:45:31 pm »

Yep, we have outright contempt for those darn northerners! BURN THE HERATICS! And other slogans of that nature.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:28:24 pm »

Yep, we have outright conte'nt for those darn norferners! BURN THE HERE'ICS! And other slogans of that nature.

ftfy

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:43:02 am »

Well I was considering giving Dwarf Fortress another try but this thread has gotten me to change my mind about that. Not certain why but I think I'm going to play something else while holding my tongue about said desire to play something else, as that escaped lunatic and OP have inspired me towards a desire to make snide and snarky comments I'm not going to make.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:57:05 am »

The guy obviously doesn't know much about the game, and I'm not reposting this to make fun of him, but it's just so wonderful that I think I'll better a few lives putting it in here.

I think you have just been on your Ivory tower a bit too long and have forgot how other people think.

Though to help: The person you are linking isn't "Obviously wrong" and the UI problem isn't one that the player base is so used to that it ceases to be an issue.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:05:44 am by Neonivek »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 03:05:49 am »

I'm not reposting this to make fun of him, but it's just so wonderful that I think I'll better a few lives putting it in here.
Couple of problems with this, regardless of whether you intended to make fun of him or not, you... kinda are since you are implying we ought to be laughing at the thread you linked, which pretty much is making fun of him. Really, this is not in good humor to do so either.

(But, in all seriousness, with some exceptions it often seems like the GD boards and the actual game boards are two completely different communities. Does a link-share really bother people that much?)
And here, well, this isn't the board to discuss anything related to DF really. It's not that the boards are two different cultures when it comes to this, but the lower boards are for discussing non-DF related subjects, and the upper boards are to discuss DF related subjects. It's a matter of organization that exists so that people can find topics they're looking for, and this undermines that.

Plus this is kinda bad natured as is, since it's a little underhanded (the op in the other topic won't likely catch this thread) and it makes fun of their ignorance rather than try and rectify that. This isn't something good communities ought to be doing.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 03:13:07 am »

The guy obviously doesn't know much about the game, and I'm not reposting this to make fun of him, but it's just so wonderful that I think I'll better a few lives putting it in here.

I think you have just been on your Ivory tower a bit too long and have forgot how other people think.

Though to help: The person you are linking isn't "Obviously wrong" and the UI problem isn't one that the player base is so used to that it ceases to be an issue.

This. As ideas go, it's not terrible ("Wouldn't it be nice if Toady sat down for a year and made the UI better?"), but it's not particularly realistic; I don't think he'd accept constraints like that, and KS is not the best way to go about it. But mocking the guy for suggesting something that isn't unreasonable... is exactly the sort of snobbish elitism that people associate with the DF fanbase.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 04:06:02 am »

I posted a response with what I believe to be a legitimate flaw with the posts logic (ignoring things like Toady's stated desires, intentions etc which a new person can be forgiven for not knowing).

But yeah, making fun of the poster is uncalled for. Its clear they put thought and effort into the post with only good intentions, and people largely agree that the UI is a bottleneck for new players.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:45:50 am »

Edited OP & my reply in the other section. Sorry it caused such a fuss, as it was not its intention. I can often have a tough-luck attitude toward things like that, possibly out of my own tendency to appreciate simple posts like that. My reply in the original thread expressed that the post was humorous, then I suggested that the OP possibly wasted his time, and that he should learn that research before a writeup like that is typically beneficial.

Tl;Dr: Snide remarks? I apologize if you attributed some invented emotions to what was a lightheartedly frank remark with some (admittedly harsh) advice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 12:07:10 pm »

Don't worry acetech09, when the forum is actually mad at you... It is a lot more obvious.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:13:48 pm »

Don't worry acetech09, when the forum is actually mad at you... It is a lot more obvious.
When I get angry, my posts become less coherent and contain more swearing.

But your so cool all the time.
Pages: [1] 2