Option 2
- 11 (33.3%)
Option 3
- 5 (15.2%)
Option 4
- 10 (30.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 134

Author Topic: The Derail Games: A game of Awesome Chess.  (Read 168009 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: The Derail Thread: Mastahcheese's Archive, Dorsid's and EP's games, and fl-A
« Reply #390 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:36 pm »

Better get well! Who will finish the map if you're sick?  :'(
I will! I just got back home, and apparently it's bronchitis, so it shouldn't be more than a couple days more.
They gave me an antibiotic, an inhaler, and something for the cough. So I should be feeling better soon.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, well, it wasn't so bad after all. I hope you get better!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, well, it wasn't so bad after all.
You say that like you're disappointed.[/sarcasm]
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I just got back home,
Yay! Congrats!
and apparently it's bronchitis,
Ouch.
so it shouldn't be more than a couple days more.
Yay!
They gave me an antibiotic, an inhaler, and something for the cough. So I should be feeling better soon.
:) That's good news, for the most part. I mean, being sick sucks, but the rest is good news!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, I was actually supposed to go to work today, and thankfully they gave me the next few days off to rest.
So I'm good.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, guys. I have some news for you all that many of you may be disappointed with, but bear with me.

After some careful deliberation, I've decided to end most of my projects.
This isn't a decision that I'm making lightly, and I'll explain my reasoning for each of them.

Lost at Sea: I had a lot of fun running this. A lot. But it's not really shaping up to be what I wanted it to, and it's my fault for that.
I put too much emphasis on each individual in the game, and not enough on the group as a whole. I put too much work into having them look right, and not on what it was they were doing. It ended up being that people were instead focusing on making each character act they way they viewed their persona, and trying to instigate shipping, as opposed to actually trying to get things done in the vein of how a Build-A-Village game should run. And it's my fault for that, as I encouraged it for the most part.
I don't want this to end, but really, it would be easier, and more entertaining for me, to simply restart it, and do it right this time, then to try to fix what has already been done.
There will be a sequel to Lost at Sea, but this one has to end.

E.V.O.: This game is pretty much victim to the same symptom as Lost at Sea, in that I did it wrong. I wanted a game where you would evolve a creature into a higher life form, and get to constructing a home for your creatures. But I made the start of the game the way one would do a very short-term style game, or an arena combat game, not one of growth or evolution. It didn't promote the right idea that I wanted, and again, it's my fault for that.
Again, there will be a sequel to E.V.O., as well, but it's gotten to the point where it would be too difficult to fix.

tWoOtAPRtD: This one was also very fun for me to do, and I think it was good practice for me to work with things like menus, but really, there's one thing wrong with it. It's not my world, it's freeform's. I can't think of something that would make sense in his world, I'm not creative enough.
Heck, half of the reason that all of the rooms in The Wind Beneath Your Feet looked identical was because I couldn't think of anything more creative than that, and that was with my own material, where I already know everything in the storyline that could influence it. I can't do half of that in someone else's world where I'm completely clueless as to the reasoning behind everything.
It was fun, and the idea of a speck of power in freeform's domain was tantalizing, but I have to let this one go.

Six-Shooter: The mindlessness of this one was really fun, but it's a lot more work than it looks. Just dealing with 11 people in the first round was a pain before the death toll started to rise, and more than double that would be a massive amount of work.
That said, I'd feel particularly bad ending it before I could even test out some of the things I had added for the second go of it, so I'll at least do it some justice, and do the second round before I end it.
I'll give it one last go before it's time.

I know that there are a lot of people spread out amongst these games, and really, I'd rather not end them, but it's something I have to do. I hope everyone understands, and I promise that from now on, I'll be putting a lot more work into my games, and trying my best to stick them out to the end, and most of all, starting them out right.
The Derail Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Dude, the amount of thought you put into your games makes me willing to play any of them.
ANY.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh well. At least this gives you more time to work on the map. :P

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1) Meh
2) Do'h
3) Meh
4) Do'h
5)
Dude, the amount of thought you put into your games makes me willing to play any of them.
ANY.
+1
The Cyan Menace

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ANY.
+1
Thanks, you guys, to me, it doesn't feel like I put a whole lot of work into my stuff, but I'm glad it seems that way.

And when I say "After some careful deliberation" I literally had been thinking on this for over a week, whether or not to do this, and decided that this was best. There are other things that I want to do, apart from redoing those projects the right way, and apart from the map.
I'm not sure what I'll start next, but I have a couple ideas. And I'll always keep those games in the archive so I can access them for reference.

Also, piecewise told me that if I wanted to try running a game of his steampunk airships, I should feel free. So if you guys want me to try that, I will.
The Derail Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll take that as a yes.

So you all don't have to look it up, here's piecewise's original thread.

And here's his dropbox with all the game's released information.

If you guys ever get super bored, and want to go make some airships, the rules for them are in there, and you can post them here.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eheh. Might outline a floating fortress later. Got an idea for one, anyways.
The Cyan Menace

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Good job getting rid of the chafe MC.

Also GET WELL SOON

7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile

I'm a pretty big fan of your games and I read quite a few of them, and it's a shame that you have to abandon all of these.

I'm a programmer, so if you want, I can crunch out a program to do your dice rolling (with colors and all) if you can tell me about the exact mechanics you use for them.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 134