Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Draw to Dodge: Viva Las Vegas!  (Read 1552 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Draw to Dodge: Viva Las Vegas!
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:53:44 pm »

Welcome to the first (that I know of) Draw to Dodge game. Like a standard RtD, it utilizes random values to determine the success of a player's actions. Unlike a standard RtD, it uses playing cards rather than dice for this randomness. And what better journey to be determined by random cards than a trip from Flagstaff to Las Vegas along The Road Formerly Known As Route 66?

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gameplay (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current Players (click to show/hide)

Have fun, and good luck!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:15:13 am by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Draw to Dodge: Viva Las Vegas!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:21:32 pm »

This looks awesome.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »

Oh, hey, that sounds pretty-

No, wait, you meant cards. Carry on.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:13 pm »

In. Now, what character should I use...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:57:03 pm »

Spoiler: Fortuna Vermogen (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:54:27 am »

Spoiler: Raphael Dephios (click to show/hide)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »

Everyone so far has been added to the OP. How many should I count on before I begin?

[totallynotabump]
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:21:35 pm »

Ideally, the group would be one of each suit...but we have two clubs, so that isn't happening.
Sig

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:53 pm »

Ideally, the group would be one of each suit...but we have two clubs, so that isn't happening.
I also want a fair number, because the road-travelling element means there is limited room for new joiners once I start.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 11:48:40 pm »

Hitchhikers.

And...are we starting in one car or many?
Sig

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 11:50:59 pm »

Hitchhikers.

And...are we starting in one car or many?
Many. That's why I have you request which car you want.

You will start as a convoy, and you can try to keep it that way. Just be careful. Or you can pick up more people (NPCs and stranded players) to go with you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:19 pm »

Well, new convoy members just make it all the easier to introduce new players.
Sig

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 05:24:15 pm »

I have noticed a lack of apparent interest in this game. I have also come to the conclusion that there is some error on my part responsible for this. By utilizing methodical practices, I have come up with three main hypotheses as to what that error may be.

Is the problem the overcomplexity of the game? There seems to be a moderately strong negative correlation (based on completely anecdotal evidence) between complexity and number of people interested, but there are plenty of exceptions to the trend (my own Coherence Length borders on rudimentary full RPG system, and it's wrangled 11 people). If this is a valid reason, I'm curious whether it's the card mechanics or the specific gameplay that more people think is too complex.

Or is it the card system to begin with? I figured it would actually increase interest, just because it's a novel gimmick. But maybe I'm wrong, and it's either too similar to get attention or too different to be accepted by most people.

My last hypothesis, because it seems the least probable, is that the setting is unappealing. This seems unlikely, since RtDs are generally successful independence of their bizarre premises/settings. But maybe the whole trip to Vegas thing is either too idiosyncratic or too cliche for some.

If there are specific beefs to be had, I will hear them now. If the first hypothesis seems most likely, I am willing to simplify the rules to correct the situation. I refuse to back down on the second - the card gimmick is the centerpiece of the game. If the third hypothesis explains it best, I will just make a new game using the card system in a different setting.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 05:30:25 pm »

I'm fine with it all. Just get like one or two more players and we can start.
But unsuccessful management per GM's part is to be cautioned on. Just make sure you check in regularly so no one forgets the game.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 05:52:42 pm »

Some games just randomly don't get a lot of attention. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the idea of replacing the RtD system turns some folks off. You have to remember, though, that games like ER, LD, Perplexicon*, and YAFB, with dozens of players, are in the extreme minority. Some games died without getting a single player!

*We need an abbreviation for this.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2