Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How will sailing work?  (Read 1682 times)

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
How will sailing work?
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:46:10 am »

How would sailing work? Will it be only in adventure mode or will there be a new mode where your a captain of a ship? Can you be pirates, like raiding caravan ships and stuff like that?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:49:19 am by Lidku »

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How will sailing work?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:55 pm »

It'd be great if we could condense the game down to just running a ship full of dwarves and finagle it to run on mobile...
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:55:00 pm »

By what I read, it'll simply be a teleportation-style thing first. Then possibly you can ride on a ship and interact with sailor d00ds in real-time. I don't think he's mentioned a whole seafaring aspect of the game as planned, though.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »

I hope there's a fortress mode where you run a ship in the middle of the ocean... someone will find a way to pump out the entire ocean into the ocean and then build a mineshaft through it... then you get invasions on little canoes easily dispatched with catapults, which you can't build because you have no wood.... oh yes, fun indeed.... maybe eventually get harpoons and have fisherdwarves catch giant sea creatures...

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:02 pm »

Yeah imagine fisher dwarf pirates fighting a FB sea creture!                                                                                                                                                                                                                A enormous whale. It has thick scaly skin and a fat bloated body.It has large frailing teeth. Beware of it's poisonious steam!

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 06:01:32 pm »

From the latest DFtalk:

Threetoe:   Ok, the next question's from Akos: Will you ever implement ports that make sieges and trading possible on isolated islands, how much do you plan to make oceans part of the gameplay, will you have navies or pirate ships that can fire on fortresses?
Toady:    So we love this stuff, right? We have, we played Pirates! and Ancient Art of War at Sea and stuff, and...
Threetoe:    And multiple submarine simulators.
Toady:    Right now I'm reading the whole kind of history of one of the big greek wars and there's triremes ramming everyone and doing all kinds of things and so on. So yeah, we love boats. We've talked in the past about how boats might work so we don't need to go into kind of the technical details, those'll be in the transcripts of the old talks. But it's definitely one of the things that we're planning to do. And kind of incorporate it fully into gameplay everywhere.

So if you care to dig through the older Dftalks as well it's apparantly fully fleshed out there (not sure if I can bother to myself) ^^

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 07:19:20 pm »

just a little side note;
I'm sure becoming a captain and running a ship would just be an adventure mode thing, as you are only one person in that case, so it follows logically.  Fort mode style ship management would probably be related to actual fort mode, like if you have a seaside fort, and if you can send armies out, why not ships?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 07:33:25 pm »

A enormous whale. It has thick scaly skin and a fat bloated body.It has large frailing teeth. Beware of it's poisonious steam!

The giant whale Moby Dick has come! An enormous whale with white skin and a massive tail. It dives and spouts. Beware its crushing bite!

Bonus points for naming your captain Ahab.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 07:35:39 pm »

Well i want to build docks in the rivers/sea and get trading ships come, and the occasional raiding ship full of pirates for FUN.

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:42:15 pm »

Yeah I can tell this will be fun when it comes out!

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 09:34:55 pm »

Well i want to build docks in the rivers/sea and get trading ships come, and the occasional raiding ship full of pirates for FUN.
Doing it right now wouldn't be that hard. At the basic level, there could be a water-bound wagon variant that paths across surface water tiles and will only show up if there's a dock adjacent to enough water. If not, there could be smaller canoes that carry one (or more) creatures. They would path across one water section and one land section and let the passenger(s) disembark at the junction.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:11:39 pm »

Maybe they could do it something like how wagons are done now (assuming it it would be an accessory to fortress or adventure mode, and not another mode entirely, as some would prefer). Have a large, multi-tile creature that multiple dwarves can be mounted on at the same time, and attack from, while carrying large amounts of goods, and perhaps have its swim speed linked to wind speed like power generation in windmills. How to get the dwarves to utilize the edible goods while on a long trip so they don't starve could be an issue (although I'm not sure it would be). Heck, you could have different types of ships where the swim speed isn't linked with wind speed (boats with oars), or give them inherent ranged attacks to simulate cannons or ballista or some such. Ramming would just be the "push" attack with an appendage similar to a bronze-plated battering ram.

Of course, it would be grand if Toady or a modder could figure out how to make moving, floating floor tiles that carry what is on them without it falling off (as would be the case with floor tiles that disappear and respawn to give the illusion of motion), and an epic feat from what I know of the subject (which is, admittedly, very little). This would of course be a truer representation of sailing that just riding a swimming creature, and I imagine would open up more avenues for exploitation.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:13:44 pm by UnlawfullyDeranged »
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »

Oh, almost forgot, we'll need to appropriate some sea shanties for the dwarven audience, like "What will we do with a sober dwarf?"
Sing it with me:
What will we do with a sober dwa-rf?
Up upon the surface...
Watch him vomit in the sunlight
watch him vomit in the sunlight
watch him vomit in the sunlight
Up upon the surface...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 11:34:16 pm »

Interrupt his drink with a milkfish
Up upon the surface...
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:01:27 am »

Urist McSailor cancels Sea Shanty: Could not find path
Urist McSailor has suffocated
Pages: [1] 2