Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]  (Read 3202 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:11 pm »

We haven't even met yet.

Although...we have the same goal, what IC reason would we have not to cooperate?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 01:43:20 pm »

We haven't even met yet.

Although...we have the same goal, what IC reason would we have not to cooperate?

Exactly. No point in fighting each other if we can live together in semi-perfect harmony, is there?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 03:42:49 pm »

"Oh, I won't be joining in that bet, I'll tell you now. What I will say is that I do believe that the Crusader fellow will fail at his attempts to train the settlers."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 04:04:27 pm »

Name: Leo de Bodkin
Faction: High Father

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 05:52:09 am »

Chapter I: Betting Starts Now

Hans Weissman/Harry Baldman:

Gambler sent gear!
As you prepare to leave on the journey, packing supplies and food, the Sage walks into your tent with a large box. He opens the box, and reveals a metal mask adorned with a face of a demon with a protruding tongue. You feel intimidated by the mere presence of the mask.

"This is te Masque of Intimidation. With it, you'll be able ta scare livin' things. If they can understand ya, they'll follo' your orders as well."

You adorn the mask, and you feel a strange power emanating from it. "Be careful, though. Te Masque scares everythin' and everyone, so ya better wear something over it so ya don't scare te kin." Gained Masque of Intimidation.

After you hide the mask, you go gather the villagers and have them dig up a well. They start digging, and after a few hours they find water. The water is surprisingly clean, and tastes sweet. The villagers rejoice at having a clean water supply, and they get hard at work at finishing the well. You also start training ten men to teach them how to fight. You teach them how to make improvised weapons and in hand-to-hand combat, and teach them to run if cornered or if faced with a tough enemy. The training ends well, and with your superior knowledge of warfare they have learnt much and fast. Gained party: Militia X10

They arm themselves with family heirlooms and whatever they can find. Now you are ready to face the Plagueskipper, all they need is your order.

Jonathan Markson/GreatWyrmGold:

You step into the cave, lighting your first torch. You try to move quietly as to not attract attention, but that only helps marginally due to you being the only source of light in the cave. You use your hunter instincts to find the Plagueskipper, and you follow an ooze trail. The end of the trail is a dark room, and you hear a deep gurgling sound inside. You hover the torch inside, and you see a great green slime sloshing around the room. You've followed the wrong trail!

As you attempt to turn around, a slimy tentacle grabs you and drags you inside, but you manage to grab hold of the edge just in time. You feel the slime slowly singing your leg, and you wince as the slime tightens it's grip. Never have you seen a slime this large or fierce. As you attempt to climb up and escape, the slime on your body causes you to slip and fall inside the slime. Now the slime completely covers you, and the pain flows through your body as it burns your skin.

As a desperate last attempt, you grab your spear and stab at it's fleshy core with all your might. It strikes right in the center and the slime temporarily releases you, which you use to grab hold of the wall of the cave and hoist yourself upwards. The slime is following after you, oozing out of the room in the cave. Defend yourself!

Bets:

Quoth bets that 5 settlers will die on their trip to the cave.

Feros bets 10 will die.

Lo stays out of it. He uses 10 points to send Hans the Masque.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 06:29:52 am »

"That poor nature-loving sod. I bet that if anyone comes to help him they'll get horribly mangled."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 07:39:27 am »

Task the newly-trained militia - they will be known as my sergeants - with training the rest of the men, women and children of the village in similar ways - everyone must grasp the basics of self-defense at the very least - this will happen tomorrow at the earliest, of course.

In addition, from tomorrow onward every man and woman of the village must spend at least an hour a day practicing their self-defense techniques. This will ensure that none of the villagers are defenseless.

Today, though, the foundations should be laid for a stockade surrounding the camp site, and construction on both that and an internal watchtower must commence immediately, with the stockade given first priority - can't have beasts wandering in here in the night, can we? We need at least a defensive fence to work with right now.

Finally, don't wear the Masque during any of this. Fear will be useful against hostile, unholy inhabitants, but not against my own followers.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:41:17 am by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 11:31:33 am »

"That poor nature-loving sod. I bet that if anyone comes to help him they'll get horribly mangled."
((Safe bet. Getting wrong requires that someone come to help me and that they come out fairly unscathed.))

"Bears#^%!"
Walk backwards away from the slime, stabbing the ooze if it comes close enough.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 01:18:44 pm »

'Sigh. That was quick.'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Spectr

• Bay Watcher
  • Watching Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 02:26:22 pm »

This seems interesting! Post to Watch
Word

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

PTW too.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 07:48:51 pm »

Chapter I: Betting Starts Now

Hans Weissman/Harry Baldman:

You take off the Masque and place it inside the box, then you order the militia to start training the other settlers in self-defense, everyone including children to women are included. Amazingly, due to the fervent spirit of humanity, they train extremely well, and some have even shown prowess in sword skills and leadership! You instruct them to spend at least an hour everyday practicing.

After training, you instruct them to build a stockade around the settlement. It is still late morning, so you'll have sometime before the night. Unfortunately during construction, they found out the wood they had carried had been infested with termites, and the wood dissolves. You call for the foreman and ask him how long it would take to get wood from the homeland.

"I'm sorry, milord, but it would take a fortnight! Even then, without a Crusader like ye to protect them they wouldn't make it!"

"Where can we get some building materials?"

"There's a forest nearby, but the place gives me a strange vibe. Something's cursed in there." He points to a large forest, overgrown with vines and tall trees. You wonder how a forest could grow so abundantly in a cold, barren land like this. "They say that elves live in there. The kin have been wandering near the place as well, to prove their courage."

Suddenly, a woman comes crying out for help. "Help! My baby! She's gone!" She comes running towards you carrying something wrapped in cloth around her arms. You unwrap the cloth and back away as it unveils a monster. It resembles a child, but with horribly misplaced features and fanged teeth.

The Sage checks the "baby" and tells the crowd the crowd to go back to work. He brings you to his tent to talk in secret. "This is a changeling. This what those fairies do ta us. I remember they'd take our children and replace it with these things. They'd take our kin to hate us and fight us when they come of age."

You leave the tent, and you see the woman cradling the changeling in her arms, being comforted by the other women and her husband.

Jonathan Markson/GreatWyrmGold:

Gambler sent ally!
You back away from the slime, holding your spear at the ready. You swing at the slime whenever it tries to grab you, and thankfully the enchanted elf-wood shaft doesn't corrode at the slime's ooze. The slime spits at you, but you dodge to the side just in time. The ooze hits the wall behind you, slowly dissolving it. It's hard to see in the dark, but you can tell movement behind the wall. Suddenly, a beast bursts through the wall and latches itself onto the slime.

It's a wolf! Praise the Wild Mother! The wolf attempts to claw the slime, but it's attacks barely harm it. The slime, suddenly surprised by the new enemy, tries to thrash it away, but the wolf manages to stay on. You attempt to spear it, and you hit the core inside! The slime is stunned, and as you pull out the spear a black goo spills out of the green slime.

"Eww."

The wolf sees the opening, and attacks the wound. It violently mauls at the fleshy core, and you can see the slime desperately try to crawl away. The wolf continues biting and clawing it, and the slime finally dies. Afterwards, you decide to reward the wolf with some meat, but it refuses and bows, then runs away.

You check the dead slime for anything. You find nothing but dissolved bones inside, but you do find some usable pieces of slime core, which Gnar said was good for fertilizer.

Bets:

Lo bets that whoever helps Jonathan will get mangled. He lost the bet, and gained no points.

Feros spent 10 points on sending a temporary ally to aid Jonathan.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 09:42:40 pm »

((Woo hoo!))

Check myself for wounds. Retrieve the core carefully, then exit the cave.
"I have underestimated this place..."
Head to locate some kind of civilization or whatever to find allies.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2013, 08:09:00 am »

"Say... can you tell me if the changelings are actually hostile to us in any way? The changeling we have obtained seems to be an infant, yes? Could it be raised in a fashion that closely resembles human upbringing?"

Ask the sage. Take the changeling from the mother with her permission and closely examine it. Does it show signs of intelligence or malevolence, or does it seem harmless in its present form?

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2013, 01:15:22 pm »

'Well, I bet that we'll see the lost child again eventually, at least.'
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4