Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]  (Read 3200 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:48:53 am »

The Hand You're Dealt

Hello, Bay12! Been a while. I'm back, and I'm trying to get started on GM'ing again. Yay! (or boo, if you didn't like my GM'ing) This is going to be a sort of experimental game I just thought of a couple of hours ago. Inspired by Dualism, by Digital Hellhound.

I'll be taking two "protagonists" and three "gamblers". The basic premise is that the two protagonists carry out the story line in a general RtD/RPG way. The gamblers are beings akin to gods, who gamble their power in bets made with the Dealer. The "big bet" is to determine the outcome of the story. Right at the start, the three gamblers will PM me of their bet of who will win: Protagonist A or Protagonist B. Along the game, they can make smaller bets for power, such as: "I bet that Protagonist A can save the village," followed by "I bet you can't."

To help them, they can use the power they acquired and use it to give their Protagonist aid. They can also use it to deter the opponent Protagonist and harm them. For example:

Gambler I: I bet Pro A will beat the dragon.

Gambler II: I bet he won't.

Gambler III: I'll bet along with Gambler II.

Then Pro A goes to fight the dragon. Gambler I uses his power to send him a sword which is powerful against dragons. Gambler II sends a pack of goblins to stop him. Gambler III upgrades the goblins to trolls. But, don't think that the Pros are nothing but playthings for the fickle gods! They can fight too. Pro A beats the goblins and slays the dragon. Gambler I gains power, and the other two gain nothing, other than wasting their power on goblins.

And so on and so forth. The Pros choose a deity from the beginning: The Wild Mother or The High Father. These determine their starting location and bonuses. The three gamblers choose one aspect at the start: something simple, like fire or birds. They also start with 20 Points.

Spoiler: Gambler Actions (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wild Mother (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: High Father (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheets (click to show/hide)

Game will probably start tomorrow. It's not first come first served, so don't worry.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:53:13 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: The Hand You're Dealt [0/5]
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 07:55:42 am »

Gambler
Name: Feros
Aspect: Beasts
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:57:39 am »

Gambler
Name: Quôth
Aspect: Death

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:00:17 am »

Protagonist
Name:Clair Flowers
Faction:Wild Mother
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:12:50 am »

Posting to watch.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:04 am »

Gambler

Name: Lo
Aspect: Culture.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:15:41 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:16:30 am »

Protagonist

Name: Hans Weissman
Faction: High Father
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:19:57 am by Harry Baldman »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:16:58 am »

Name: Joe Bridger
Faction: High Father

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 09:57:52 am »

We appear to have three gamblers, two protagonists, and Joe Bridger.

...Hm...

Spoiler: Johnathan Markson (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 09:58:42 am »

We appear to have three gamblers, two protagonists, and Joe Bridger.

...Hm...

Spoiler: Johnathan Markson (click to show/hide)
Twas a reserve that edited in after me :P.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 10:19:19 am »

This is going to be a sort of experimental game I just thought of a couple of hours ago. Inspired by Dualism, by Digital Hellhound.

Ohoho, good to see that game is of use still. Lessee what I can do;

Name: Gart the Wanderer
Faction: The Wild Mother
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hand You're Dealt [5/5]
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 07:53:02 pm »

Okay, got the players in.

Gamblers:

sjm9876
Ghazkull
micelus

Protagonists:

Harry Baldman
GreatWyrmGold

Don't worry if you're not in. You'll be a replacement if one drops out or dies, or I can put your characters in as NPCs if you'd like. To all the gamblers: please PM which Protagonist you think will survive first.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 08:07:28 pm »

I bet that I will survive!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 09:24:37 pm »

Chapter I: Betting Starts Now

Hans Weissman/Harry Baldman:

The sound of the bells tolling drowns out the excited cheers of the crowds. The old but well-kept walls of the monastery give you a nostalgic feeling of when you first arrived at the Waterbell Monastery. You walk down the red carpet towards the altar, where you are greeted by the Archbishop and his deacons. Father Wellborn, your mentor and the first friend you made here, puts the honorary robes around you and gives you his blessing. To your sides are the mentors that have taught you for this very day: Gall Gerfen the Merchant, Con Eisler the Crusader Knight, and Lili Jude the Diviner.

You kneel before the towering Archbishop, clad in ceremonial robes and attached biomagic arms. His face is shrouded in a mask adorned with symbolic eyes, representing the High Father's all-seeing gaze. His voice booms as he prepares your body with rites and passages from the Holy Text. You feel the High Father pass through you, and soon the ceremony is complete. You are taken to the armory and are given the blades and armor of the Crusader. You walk outside where you are greeted by the cheers of the crowds, and you meet the settlers who you will lead to colonize the Wilds.

The happy faces of the villagers and the excited screams of the crowds fills you with courage. You greet the foreman of the settlers, who fills you in on the details. Soon, you are off. The caravans bounce up and down, not because of the roads, but because of the jumping of excited children. You take a final look at the monastery, and wave goodbye to your mentors. Today is the day that humanity will retake their place. The day that the High Father foretold. Today is the day of the Third Crusade.

A week later you have arrived at Barrow's Pass, a rugged, cold land. The area is relatively flat, and is the closest you can get to without having the danger of being torn apart by renegade demons that have remained after the Second Crusade. The settlers start to unpack and the scouts report of good locations to start. They reported a river nearby that would be a good place to colonize, but they fear the Plagueskipper that lies in the cave nearby, where the river starts, is polluting the river. The only way to clean the water is to slay the Plagueskipper.

Jonathan Markson/GreatWyrmGold:

The chirps fill the forest as you walk down the cold soil. Your instincts warn you of the myriad dangers the Wild Mother has placed ahead of you, and you skillfully manage to dodge having to cross paths with them. The forest in Barrow's Pass was a small one during the Second Crusade, but after the villages were destroyed the forest spread like wildfire, ironically. Many beasts not native to the Barrowlands have moved here in search of food, and following them are their predators. As instructed by your instincts, you have moved to Wildroot Forest. The Wild Mother has sensed danger nearby.

The beasts here are abnormally powerful, and come in a wide variety, thanks to animal migrations and to the leftover magic by the demons. Many beasts you encountered were corrupted and twisted, and the Wild Mother willed them to be put down. The trees grow tall, blocking most of the sunlight. The forest stretches of acres, and the sound of wildlife never stops. Despite Barrow's Pass being a cold and desolate area, the demon energies allowed life to flourish, albeit a twisted and cruel life.

As you look for a place to rest for the time being, a rustle warns you of danger. You spring upwards, spear at the ready. You ready yourself for anything. A dire bear, a razor-fly, or any other wild beast. Instead, you see a hoof made of wood step out of the bush, and a gnarled hand with branch fingers step out. A smirk appears next, and followed by the full head of the creature. The head his adorned with two horns like large branches. The hunched figure steps towards you. Despite his intimidating features, you immediately relax.

"Dammit, Gnar. What are you doing here?"

The elf looks at you in a mocking bewildered face. "Whatever do you mean? I merely followed you to ensure your safety!"

You scoff. "You? Caring someone other than yourself? Amazing. Go back to the Grove, Gnar."

"Jonny, come on. You think that the Wild Mother would send me out here just to be sent back?"

You roll your eyes. "Fine, what do you want?"

"One of her children, the Greatskipper, has been corrupted by foul magics. It is polluting the stream, and twisting its denizens. It must be put down."

"Where is it?"

Gnar points towards a large cave, which you can barely see through the underbrush. You look at him. "Gnar, I don't have elfen eyes. I can't see."

"Fine, just look for the settlers. They'll be loud enough to hear."

"Settlers? Like human settlers?" You turn to face Gnar again, but he has disappeared. You sigh.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
Dying of laughter?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 09:49:40 pm »

Alright, to deal with this Plagueskipper thing I will need to be able to see. To do that, I will need some light source, perhaps a torch. To make a torch, I need a stick, a rag or similar flammable sheet thingy, and some kind of oil. The oil could probably be made from animal fat.

What do I have right now?
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 4