Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: indoor forests  (Read 778 times)

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
indoor forests
« on: October 30, 2007, 11:44:00 am »

do we have to wet the land to grow them forests now? or is it like farming... a bit of sand will do?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: indoor forests
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

I think the main downside currently is that you can't bring or plant towercap spawn, and there won't be any spores floating around if you don't have an underground cave feature.  Underground forests will be rare until this is rectified.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 07:26:00 pm »

That raises a few questions...

Do you need a cave river or will any cave feature do?

How do spores propogate?  In other words, does opening a cave feature let them spread across the whole map (even to, say, a room you've sealed with a wall)?  Do they need a clear path?  A path entirely underground?  Do doors and bridges and such block them?

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

I imagine its like in the last version, with plants. If they already exist somewhere on your map, then they will randomly grow in any suitable ground you create. But if they dont exist on your map, then they will never appear. For example, I like to have quarry bush handy, in case food gets low. But on some maps I played, there just weren't any quarry bushes, so I was not able to farm them on those maps.

I think with this version that means if you flood an area and get mud, and towercaps spring up, then you know you have an underground river somewhere on the map. But if none ever come up, then you dont have an underground river. I am not sure if the same applies to clearing loam and sand. I have yet to see anything come up in those spaces unless they were planted there.

ho watches those that watch us???

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 06:45:00 pm »

I believe having discovered a cave river or cave pool will allow tower caps to spring up at any underground soil on your map.  I tested this when I put it in, and it worked.  However, that doesn't seem to be much of an indicator of whether something will work in the final version...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!