Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Funny story  (Read 1015 times)

Abadayos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Funny story
« on: November 16, 2013, 01:42:29 am »

Hello all, I just thought I would share a funny story of what happened to me lastnight whilst messing around playing DF.

It all started when I was finishing off my 3rd level  of my underground  tree farm and pastures. I had recently just broken 1,000,000 wealth and just had a goblin seige in which my masterful dwarven engineers squished flat...literally. I had thought the seige had finished so opened my drawbridge to let the guys and gals out and it seemed to of squished a load of the invading goblins, totally unintentionally for once. The only survivors that actually got into the fort where 4 trolls which didn't last long, one of them was actually killed by a kitten somehow managing to crush it's skull. No idea how, but that made me smile..even more so when it got picked up by the butcher...then I just lost it. Much fun.

However a month or two later, I had my first titan show up. After reading  about how lucky and unlucky you can be with them I was a little worried as I had no military, just something I never got around to. However I did have 6 hunters out gathering meats from the animals that strayed too close.  When I saw what this Titan was made of, I simply laughed....steam...ooohhh....how can it be taken seriously?

So I grouped my hunters into a ramshackle squad and sent them to head the titan off before it could do any hard. Now as it was a four legged beasty, I expected it to take a while to get a killing blow but within 20 seconds of the dwarves rocking up, all 4 legs where gone, both arms, teeth (steam teeth? Sure why not!) and finally the head. The funny thing is the final blow was by a dwarf that ran out of bolts, ran in and knocked it's head off with their crossbow like a star cricket player hitting a 6, the head went over 5 tiles before landing.

So from expecting to loose the fort, to having a dead titan..makes me smile! Now to work on that military....

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Funny story
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:15:20 am »

I'm going to assume that titans and forgotten beasts made of steam are procedurally generated when they enter your embark area, otherwise they'd never survive the world long enough to be notable. That said, it doesn't make much sense that some legendary creature could be composed of such a weak substance. There are a billion examples of one tiny pinch being enough to dissipate an entire FB made of steam or water. Dwarven children apparently do it all the time when pushed for a counterstrike. Toady should probably fix that and make sure nothing so ridiculous could be created, but if he doesn't want to lose the hilarious one-shot-kill-on-a-monster-of-legend stories, then maybe not.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:41:19 am »

That's awesome!

"I am TumbleWaft the Legendary, spawned from the Teakettles of Hell in the Dawn of Time!  Phear me!"
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:32:09 am »

That's awesome!

"I am TumbleWaft the Legendary, spawned from the Teakettles of Hell in the Dawn of Time!  Phear me!"

Sigging this.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:47:52 am »

I'm going to assume that titans and forgotten beasts made of steam are procedurally generated when they enter your embark area, otherwise they'd never survive the world long enough to be notable. That said, it doesn't make much sense that some legendary creature could be composed of such a weak substance. There are a billion examples of one tiny pinch being enough to dissipate an entire FB made of steam or water. Dwarven children apparently do it all the time when pushed for a counterstrike. Toady should probably fix that and make sure nothing so ridiculous could be created, but if he doesn't want to lose the hilarious one-shot-kill-on-a-monster-of-legend stories, then maybe not.

Yeah, I had a flying blob of ash suicide itself on a GCS web once. Makes you wonder how the hell they would survive just wandering around if a GCS web can kill them.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »

Either you're obscenely lucky, or your fort is inhabited by badasses... then again, a hunter killing a puff of steam isn't as noteworthy as a kitten slaying a troll. Also, even steam monsters are a recipe for fun when they have deadly dust...

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 08:26:46 pm »

I'd prefer to keep the hilariously weak FBs. I had an FB recently made of mud with deadly dust that give full body necrosis. If that thing couldn't be one shotted it will probably kill my entire fort.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 08:43:07 pm »

I'm going to assume that titans and forgotten beasts made of steam are procedurally generated when they enter your embark area, otherwise they'd never survive the world long enough to be notable.
Actually, megabeasts are coded so that they cannot die during worldgen, except in combat with other (semi-)megabeasts. This has generated a few instances of forts being "invaded" by monsters that fall down dead immediately upon arrival, because they "lost" at least one fight against animals/civilizations during worldgen. They're immune to death, so they live to wander onto your site--at which point, the game notices that they're bleeding from their everything, and so they finally die.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 09:36:57 pm »

I'm going to assume that titans and forgotten beasts made of steam are procedurally generated when they enter your embark area, otherwise they'd never survive the world long enough to be notable.
Actually, megabeasts are coded so that they cannot die during worldgen, except in combat with other (semi-)megabeasts....

.... or in a duel with someone, which is usually how the megabeasts die, unless you count a dwarf that killed a dragon in a duel a megabeast or semi-megabeast. It's just that the forgotten beasts never end up in a duel or fight with anything until they reach your fort.