Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [ITERU][r009] Progress & Discussion [WIP]  (Read 7685 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
[ITERU][r009] Progress & Discussion [WIP]
« on: November 15, 2013, 07:40:50 pm »

I've had a few ideas in the past to make mods with, but busy school, and the constantly shifting work focus mind I have has really prevented me from doing any of that. Another thing I came across is that I already enjoy Genesis and Masterwork as overhauls in ways that it would almost kinda suck to play my mod in comparison(for two of the ideas at least.) and I figured it would be far easier to introduce the key unique ideas and racial choices into masterwork perhaps, and add to the fun hopefully. I selected one of the three ideas because it was the most developed in my head, and the most interesting I think, and trace ideas from Ancient Egypt, Aztecs, and Warhammer Tomb Kings.

The Iteru are a section of human cultists who have twisted and warped their own perspectives enough to warrant calling themselves a separate race. They care not for any of the human values or morals, and live to serve their section of gods, and above that and all else, Armok. Because of this, they are considered an evil race, and whether they understand good and evil, they are brutal, and they are dark, and they oppose those who think otherwise or deject their gods.

Lithe and more agile than their cousins, they rely on cruel weapons, dark arts, and the support of their gods to overcome other race's strengths. They favor desert areas which are relatively flat and empty, allowing them to devote as many creations and projects to their gods as possible. They sport tan to darker skinned bodies from the sun, have solid black hair and also have solid black eyes, corrupted from their gods. At night however, these eyes glow red-orange, just like their currency, "suns".

Standard clothing consists of a shendyt and sandals for men, and kalasiris for women. Beyond that would be forms of jewelry and that's about it.

When it comes to weapons however, things are certainly more varied. They use sacrificial blades, khopesh, khukuri, scythe, tomahawk, machete, war axe, long axe, grim khopesh, tempest, scimitar, khopesh polearm, spear, throwing spear, throwing stick, sling with rock and metal projectile, bow, and special weapons of god.

Armor consists of shield, helmet, upper torso armor, armored girdle, bracers, anklets or lower leg armor, masks of god, mail under armor, plate scale underarmor, and again, special armors of god.

Pets will consist of things such as jackals, cats, hyenas, crocs, hawks, crows, scarabs, as well as necromantic summonings(tomb guardians, mummies, etc.), bloodmancy summonings(blood golems and etc.), and ushabti(giant idols/images of gods who are animated by priests).

Decorations will include things like totems, obelisks, skull thrones, big gems, sun icons, and probably more.

Castes will follow a system to be full determined in the future, but each caste being a cultist of a particular god.

There will be worshiping, praying, sacrifice, transformation, summoning, pain magic, acid magic, and blood magic. Gods will be listed later.

Plants are still being planned, but obviously papyrus is going to be a thing.

Workshops are also still being planned but so far beyond base workshops that would be used, there will be Iteru variants of altars, and shrines, as well as temples and obelisks. Each of these will have variants for different gods, each of those allowing different things and reactions. There will be a papyrus processing shop, as well as special iteru weapons and iteru armor workshops. Summoning Circles, Special jewelry processing, bloodworks, animal covens, necroworks, iteru marksman shop, and more to be created.

This is what I established today, there will be more to come, and I've already started working on the modding.

---FEATURES SO FAR---

Ushabti: Giant statues erected by the Iteru in the images of their gods. Though not technically undead, Ushabti have no mind of their own and their statue bodies are only animated by the magic of the Iteru priests. The images serve their gods and fight with the Iteru, giving a rather destructive source of power to the Iteru armies. There are images of Djaf, the jackal headed God of death, Phakth, the hawk faced god of the sky and swift justice, Osir, the crocodile headed god of rage and brutality, and Asaph, the asp headed god of beauty, magic, and vengeance.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Egyptian-flavored Language: Enment kamefer, enment sat. Alati wawit, Anbehet m'kheb eni.

Weapons:
Usage of Spear, Scimitar, Knuckle Duster, Scourge, Bow, Composite Bow, Club, Spade, Claws, Tomahawks, Whip Chain, Dadao, Kama, Jambiya, Throwing Spears as well as the custom created weapons:

-Asaph Blade, a special iteru sacrificial blade.
-Osir Blade, a massive war sword for ushabti or anything hulk enough to wield them.
-Iterian Khopesh, a desert themed blade with an almost sickle like curve.
-Grim Khopesh, similar to their cousin, just bigger, shortsword-longsword style.
-Iterian Khukuri, A khukuri special to the Iterians.
-Iterian Machete, A machete special to the Iterians.
-Iterian Scythe, A scythe special to the Iterians.
-War Axe, A half body length axe with a viciously shaped blade.
-Long Axe, A full body lengthed version of the war axe.
-Tempest, A brutal one handed mace, made of an angular head instead of a round ball.
-Iterian Halberd, A halberd special to the Iterians.
-Iterian Glaive, A Glaive special to the Iterians
-Throwing Sticks, A stick/rod made of wood-stone-metal that is thrown at enemies in a somewhat close range attack.
-Iterian Sling, A sling used by iterians to shoot shaped projectiles made out of stone or metal.
-Tanabo, A two handed wooden mace full of metallic round knobs.
-Sun Ring, A circular ring blade that is one handed.
-War Glaive, Two handed wide blade
-Claws of Djaf, Jackal Claws

Armor: Usage of mail and platemail as well as the following created:
-Armored Skirt
-Upper Torso Armor

Helm: Usage of Turban as well as the following created:
-Ornamental Helms
-Djaf Head
-Osir Head
-Asaph Head
-Phakth Head

Gloves:
-Djaf Hands
-Osir Hands
-Phakth Hands
Project is being hosted on github for source control, and so everyone can view the RAWs being worked on: https://github.com/Vherid/masterwork-dwarf-fortress/tree/iteru

Credits so far consist of Warhammer Online Land of the Dead/Tomb Kings concept art used here, as well as Tomb King concepts. Gods are mostly borrowed from Warhammer Tomb Kings Canon.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:39:14 pm by Vherid »

Carsius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ITERU] Progress & Discussion [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:43 pm »

Sounds interesting. Best of luck with the modding, can't wait to see what you come up with.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:08 pm »

It's a really cool idea, and I hope you can pull it off!

Are you a bad enough dude to mod the Iteru?
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:44:01 am »

Project uploaded to GitHub so everyone can see the raws and etc at anytime, and if possible, point out any issues. I'm basically learning RAWs as I go, and already converting the guardians from my Cult of Ra idea to ushabti I noticed a lot of RAW issues and fixed a lot of them, but probably have more. Either way, Ushabti are in there now as part of the necromantic area, as well as the Egyptian language. Weapons are there, but are mostly placeholders dragged over from the Ra mod. Those are currently being worked on.

Etherdrinker

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Etherdrink☼
    • View Profile
Re: [ITERU][r001] Progress & Discussion [WIP]
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 06:29:51 pm »

Totally like when I saw Warhammer Tomb Kings *-*

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 04:32:07 am »

Have starred your project on github. If this is something you're basing on Masterwork, are you planning on modifying any of the Masterwork raws at all, or is the plan for everything to be in their own self-contained files?

~ T

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:14:18 am »

Have starred your project on github. If this is something you're basing on Masterwork, are you planning on modifying any of the Masterwork raws at all, or is the plan for everything to be in their own self-contained files?

~ T

Well it certainly wouldn't be wise to make it not be a simple plugin that works with everything else.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 07:45:52 am »

Looking good...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

Anything I can help with?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »

Anything I can help with?

I think the main thing is just checking my creature raws for example and seeing if it's good. I have no idea what I'm doing, in ways. I do but I don't. I'm probably gonna need help with magic stuff later and etc, but we'll get to that later once I have all the creatures in to use it and etc. I'll probably need some help 'balancing' the weapons once they're all in as well, in relation to each other, and the masterwork weapons in general.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:03 pm »

Well, best to pick some from the list of weapons I already include... most of them are mood-only weapons, so your civ would be the only one to produce them. The creatures probably need the standard materials and the OUTERBRAIN bodypart... I added this to embbed the brain a bit and reduce the insta-kill headshots. Best talk to billyjack or teellox, they should both know enough to help you, if I'm not around.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ITERU][r003] Progress & Discussion [WIP]
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »

Been busy with final class work, but found some time right now between two classes to do some more work on this. I might ask one of you guys to do the weapons for me as you all have far better knowledge of what all the balance is and so on, but we'll see when we get there.

I added and pushed the Iteru Entity file, everything should be there outside of permitted buildings, and those types of things which I will add once I create all of the workshops and reactions and etc. Either way the framework is layed out for those things too, but everything else should be done for the Iteru race itself.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 08:52:05 pm »

I added and pushed the Iteru Entity file, everything should be there outside of permitted buildings, and those types of things which I will add once I create all of the workshops and reactions and etc. Either way the framework is layed out for those things too, but everything else should be done for the Iteru race itself.

Since you're already using github, would you like me to prepare a branch off studded with patches that contains your new raws merged in? That would have the advantage that:

* We can quickly spot any conflicts between your Iteru changes and any other changes that occur in masterwork
* We can quickly merge new releases of masterwork with the Iteru changes, so you stay up-to-date with bugfixes and new versions
* Players can download a single zip of the Iteru branch which already contains DF and utilities, and in which they should be a playable race
* You get any bugfixes and improvements merged in for free.

It would involve working off a fork of my repository, rather than out of Vherid/DFMWIteru, but it would greatly simplify testing and eventual deployment overall.

No worries if you decline, but it's pretty easy for me to set up additional branches for new and experimental features. (We already have a branch/fork for Drow Fortress, and another for Splinterz' settings changes.)

~ T

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 10:33:36 pm »

Sure, the only thing is I commit half finished things and shit like that.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 10:53:48 pm »

Sure, the only thing is I commit half finished things and shit like that.

No probs! I'll only be merging things back into the more stable branches when we're both sure they're ready. :)

Here's the iteru branch, which is master of Studded With Patches with the Iteru raws imported. So you should be able to fork, clone, switch to the iteru branch, and you're golden!

If you're a git-fu ninja, then you can set your branch to track my master branch, since that's where all the stable changes will go. If not, I'll cheerfully roll my changes into iteru and send you pull requests when appropriate. :)

~ T
Pages: [1] 2 3