Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Torchbridge - Last Gasp in the North (RP Succession, Overseers Wanted)  (Read 7105 times)

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torchbridge - Last Gasp in the North (RP Succession, Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 09:40:41 pm »

Hey, I don't have much time to really get down to playing and logging my turn today, so I figured I'd at least throw down some informational screens for you guys.

Here's all the Dorfed Dwarves:

I've been fiddling with some initial stuff to do throughout the day, but I haven't even unpaused yet x_x

Tomorrow pretty wide open however, I should be able to get my year completed and have the posts up tomorrow evening sometime.

(no wood and no booze makes Woob a dull dwarf)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:48:32 pm by Grevenis »

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 09:55:25 pm »

You posted me twice and left out Zechariah. Just a heads up.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »

Sign me up!  For overseerage.  I expect everyone to die of the vampire flu.  I don't know what that means but it'll happen, mark my words.

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 05:48:43 pm »

1st Granite, 2016, Grevenis - Overseer?

With a new year comes a new job. Zefon Cleansprings, he of rebirth, has rebirthed me in the form of an Overseer.

AquiziTC was in the throes of a lazy booze-based mutiny. Many complained of booze shortage, and I was one. But the booze returned, and I was satisfied. Others were not. The unscrupulous carpenter(are trees not for elves?) cried out for his removal, and I was chosen for my dwarvenly traits.

I believe the old overseer thought I had been taken by a mood and created a wondrous artifact. In truth I was in a ruined state and I was bored with mining for that day. I thought my brothers and sisters would laugh as I did in my drunken ramblings at the idea of a limonite quern. Can a dwarf imagine it? A quern of limonite?

Such jokes as these are my favorites.

Instead I was so trashed that others believed me to be in quite a state. They asked me what the quern was called, and in my laughter at such a question mentioned something of tattoos and pearls. I cannot recall the significance of these remarks at this time, but apparently it became the name of my "wondrous creation." If I were ever to grow infirm and unable to mine, I could perhaps create humorous querns for a living.

But instead, I am to be the overseer of this fortress. If nothing else, it will be a good reason for more drinks in my gullet.

Despite certain failings, AquiziTC was a goodly overseer, and I count him as a friend. His floorplan for the dining hall and living area is pleasing to the dwarvenly notions of construction.

In my post-binge examination of the area, I note that there is an extra office available across the hall from the book-keeping room. I also note that there is a great quantity of limonite lying about the fortress, and a great quantity of lazy dwarves faffing about. My first act as Overseer shall be an order for a great quantity of Limonite to be moved to the depths, to be stockpiled by the forges and used for iron forging. My second act shall be the declaration of a dwarf as "Manager". I have heard of these dwarves in the mountainhome, who would organize work orders for the overseers. I have no interest in running about telling people to make chairs. Leave that to this "manager."

I run my finger down the listing of dwarves.

"Hmm. Me. No, that won't do."

"Already the book-keeper."

"A right old fool, good mostly for breaking rocks..."

"Too angry..."

"Too useful..."

"Ah! Now this one is not useful at all! Dishmab! Dishmaaaaab!"

Dishmab is an old dwarf, one of a terrible name, and a talent for nothing but fishing. While he is indeed a great fisherman, this is in my opinion an entirely useless profession. One could simply mine out below a lake and drain all the water through a grate to catch every fish at once. Why throw string at fishes and waste scrumptious worms?

I alert him to his approaching change in profession. He alerts me that henceforth, he shall be known as "Bartantalus." There is no need for a quarrel about this. It is a better name than Dishmab. He seems agreeable about a new career. There is nought to fish anyway. I order some dwarves passing in the hallway to get the office in shape so managing can begin.

There is some hustling and bustling, and a dwarf I have not taken note of yet approaches me nervously, saying her name is "Bleaktea".

"Overseer sir, I don't want to be tellin' you how to do your job, but you know, the dwarves back in the mountainhomes considered me to be legendary at the art of stonecraftin', and there hasn't been any orders so I was just..."

"Get to it then, no need to blather to me about it!"

Mousy type. I suppose she only now worked up the courage to tell folks of her legendary status. We will make good trade with fine stone goods.

I end my first journal on this day, I need now to get these dwarves working in order, and examine the fort to find areas for improvement.

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 06:54:02 pm »

3rd Granite, 2016 - Grevenis

Some call my fellow miner 4maskwolf a fool. Perhaps they are right. But he has his moments.

He and I have finished some digging down by the forges. This and my promotion are reason enough for a bender. We invite some lovely ladies as well, including my beloved Vabok. It seems the fortress is busy without my guiding hand for a moment.

4th Granite

Zon parties on as others carry out the harvest. Free spirit, that one.

11th Granite

After a week of drinking, I am a bit parched. Perhaps some more drinking in a non-party situation will help.

12th Granite

All this partying and not partying and drinking and drinking has made me a bit worn out. The fortress shall survive a bit of sleep on my part.

16th Granite

I awake to find the novice miner Shem digging out large rooms in the south. Apparently I was in a bit of a state during the party and told him to dig an area for a future military. Process is woeful. I will show him how to make stone fear.

My planning is further proof that healthy drinking is necessary for Overseering.

18th Granite

I am glad to hear that the party continues in my absence.

We have need of one to operate the forges, but none have skill in these matters. I assign the duty to Usuth, a "Lye" maker. I would be a Lie Maker if I said I knew of the purpose or construction of Lye.

4th Slate

The month has gone in labor. The miners and I now begin digging out of a sad area near the stairs to the forges. A fortress always has need for tombs, in times of peace or war.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »

Carpenter's log, 18 Granite:

What a week!  I must admit, log <:)>, that the dining hall turned out better than I expected!  Of course, we really could use some nice, long, mahogany tables, sanded smooth and finished with cabochons of red pyropes.. but it's still really, really awesome!

We all got rid of that nasty overseer, AquiziTC; the booze situation was just too much for everyone to forgive.  Of course, fewer of my pals were interested when I mentioned pushing for some finer barrels, too; I forgive them, though.  Woodworking requires an extra genius of the eye, my da used to say.

I'm glad I took that pre-embark night class in machinery, log - there's nothing but stone to work with, here, and I can't very well make fine beds nd barrels from realgar now can I?

So, get this: when everybody pushed AquiziTC out of office, he just kinda mumbled 'ok,' and handed everything off to Grevenis!  I know!  I couldn't believe it, either - who knew politics was so easy?

It's been a pretty good time lately here at Torchbridge, all in all.  Grevenis, at least, has his priorities straight.  Yesterday, I had beer for breakfast, washed down with quarrybush leaf-flavoured beer; for lunch it was bowls of hot beer soup (house specialty: beer in a bowl!), served with beer in edible plump helmet mugs; I think we had supper, too - or was that last Tuesday?

Groggily yours, log,

-WM
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 07:38:20 pm »

15th Slate, 2016 - Grevenis

Which elf-friend brought that damned rabbit? I have named it Slingurges, as upon seeing it, I have urges to sling it away from myself.

25th Slate

A child was birthed in the stairwell today by Moldath, a clothier. She has named the girl Asmel.

I have a stray pig slaughtered. I wish it was that loathsome rabbit.

27th Slate

Tekkud informs me that we see dwarves on the horizon...a great quantity of dwarves. If it is our former brothers come for us, the tombs shall be in use soon.

28th Slate

Thankfully, they are brothers from the other kingdoms, come in fine number. There are 25 in all, doubling our population.

Nearly half a dozen of them are fisherdwarves. Armok save us.

(By the way, are there any screens or dwarves people particularly would like to see?)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 07:43:14 pm »

An overview of the stocks situation would be nice.  Is anything engraved yet?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Blenheim Datandur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2013, 11:01:25 pm »

Sign me up!  For overseerage.  I expect everyone to die of the vampire flu.  I don't know what that means but it'll happen, mark my words.

Bleaktea? As in, the Bleaktea?!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 11:05:15 pm »

You find yet another engraving in the mines
hello diary! It's great to talk to you again. Well , write in you, but it's all the same, haha. Anyways, I went to a really great party recently. I started knocking back drinks, and suddenly everyone started partying. Can you believe it, diary? Nor can I! It was amazing! Of course, some of them weren't too happy about the loss of work, but I think they were just jealous.

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2013, 11:52:39 pm »

14th Felsite, 2016 - Grevenis

Nature-Loving Bastards approach to trade.

As I look for Shem, I see WoobMonkey talking with 2 woodworkers who arrived recently. There is much agreement in complaints about a lack of trees and wood. I will keep these "murderers" well away from the elves. They may have something that we want.

I consult with AquiziTC about the state of our stocks. We have a great many prepared meals, made by the master chef Tobul. We have a decent amount of drink as well, and some plump helmets to brew. Increasing our seed supply is going slowly, what with most of the plump helmets being brewed. Our food and drink situation should be stable for now, though I will trade for more, even from these point-eared twerps.

We also have massive amounts of Iron Bars, as well as the Iron Ores to make more. I must order the creation of more forges, but for now, dwarves are needed to haul Bleaktea's wonderful stone-crafts to make trade with the tree-loving cowards.

And it's just started raining. At the only time that we need to be outside. Armok is a cruel jester.

21st Felsite

I yelled at Shem for a day to do his job and go trade instead of mining in the feeble fashion of a Non-Legendary miner. He has finally reached the depot after spending too much time carrying a rock up the stairs and crying.

22nd Felsite

We have made trade with the elves. Shem is a good broker, at least, and we trade them some rock crafts for all the wood, buckets, barrels, berries, drink, and cloth that they had. We have dwarves who are skilled in the cloth, and they must use their skills.

I find the very suggestion that I should consider buying weapons that the elves have made out of WOOD of all things offensive. I have told the elves to scram as quickly as possible, and Shem to get back to work.

Tomul had a child yesterday. She named him Kosoth.

All the dwarves are hauling or laboring. Or drinking or sleeping or eating. These are all dwarvenly things. Once the elves leave, we will have dwarvenly days.

I considered trading for a moose that the elves brought.. I decided that mooses probably do not eat rabbits, so I did not get it.

3rd Hematite

Goblin Filth! Inside our walls! Our "military commander" Zechariah heard a cat hissing from the farms, looked upstairs and saw the creature. He yelled down the hall and the message quickly traveled through the fortress. Zechariah rushed up but the creature ran at first sight.

How did it find us? No-one save those told in planning should know where we are.

Was it a scout for one of the goblin nations?

Or a scout for the vampire king?

It shall also be noted that the elves uselessly did nothing but pack up their paltry remaining goods while the goblin walked in. They are of a cowardly nature.

5th Hematite

My dear Vabok has entered a fey mood, although I cannot be certain it is not a drunken fugue like mine. She was making rock thrones when she changed her methods of construction and started saying strange things nobody could understand.

8th Hematite

Kobolds now! Two of the little bastards.

One got in a fight with Zechariah's hunting dog, Rampartfaith. I think the Dog had the worst of it. He's a big dog, but none too mighty.

I chased him for a while, but couldn't catch up.

10th Hematite

Vabok has finished her creation.

The spikes might make it a bit dicey to eat at, but it's so beautiful that I don't think anybody will mind.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:57:24 pm by Grevenis »

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:22 am »

In the official records of Torchbridge, the bookkeeper and Master Scribe AquiziTC keeps notes.

2 Hematite, 2016

Apparently things are running smoothly since I abdicated, Grevenis is a stout and competent Overseer. The murmurings of the increasing number of woodworkers is a bit disconcerting, but luckily I can, for now, shoo them out of my office and mutter something about the logs.

For now, at least. Torchbridge is growing fast enough that some may look for a mayor. Maybe I can spend more time in the Dining Hall, make some connections, win the post. Maybe, maybe not. Ambition never hurt anyone.

I let Grevenis know I was disappointed about his choice to slaughter the pig. The hope was to milk it, for cheese. Meat and tallow are ... good enough though, I guess. I also let him know that I don't see any trap components in my books, aside from the iron ball made in the first year. Woob is a good enough mechanic that if he's constantly working on traps, he may shut up about the wood. It also gives our metalsmiths something to do.

Alas, I'm not Overseer -- and Grevenis gave me a sharp look at my suggestion. I shall return to my records.

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 12:40:21 am »

21st Hematite - Grevenis

I have been admiring some fine engravings around the central staircase.

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 03:00:16 am »

25th Hematite - Grevenis

I spoke with AquiziTC earlier this month. He spoke of worries about the growing number of carpenters and woodworkers. These unscrupulous dwarves groan on about wood and trees as if they were short and squat elves. Another one has arrived, along with 9 other migrants.

He also suggested that I keep Woobmonkey busy with more mechanism work, and we do have a bit of wood that could be used for more beds for our growing population. But to allow carpenters to ply their unseemly trade is only to whet their appetite...alas, we have needs for beds.

He also said something strange about saving the pig to...drink its juice or something horrible like that? This "milk" is said to contain little to no alcohol... I do not understand its purpose for a healthy dwarf.

AquiziTC has decided to stop his engravings, as he stopped his rock crafting and masonry earlier. I think he is discouraged at Feb's amazing mastery of engraving and high master mason status. He prefers to manage his records and converse with those in the halls. The immigrants here mostly do not even know that he was the first overseer of Torchbridge, shamed by a booze scandal.

2nd Malachite

There is so much to be done!

7th Malachite

I've created our first real military squad, The Copper Hatchets. They wear iron armor and only one of them is an axeman. I do not know why they are called this. 5 of our migrants have experience with melee weapons; we've two macedwarfs, a hammerdwarf, an axedwarf, and a swordsdwarf. I've told them to begin training together in shifts in the barracks quarters to the south of the dining hall. Domas' weapons are beautiful to look upon, and terrifying to an enemy.

Their training begins now.

17th Malachite

AquiziTC has started a party. At least all the lazy migrants will be in one spot for a time.

9th Galena

Construction has begun on a series of internal walls within the square walls constructed in AquiziTC's time. Here we will set up traps beyond the Trade Depot, to aid in defense should the enemies bypass our walls somehow.

16th Galena

A heroic cat once again spots and scares off a snatcher. Perhaps I will set some guard dogs to give the goblins more than a stern mewling.

18th Galena

Our human allies from Mong Lershi come to trade. Humans are alright...but they are in some ways similar to elves. In these ways they are not alright. We have many goods to trade with them. I see some interesting ones as I look through AquiziTC's inventories.

Bleaktea is only a passing aquaintance of Fikod....how could she know that she hates bark scorpions? It's always the quiet ones.

19th Galena

Haha! Praises unto Armok! Another Goblin tried to sneak in as we were loading caravan goods, but Zechariah was waiting for him! Expecting more thieves, our Commander waited at the gap in the wall, to fire one of Domas' fine iron bolts at the foul creature from point blank range, piercing it through the throat! As it crawled away in a sorry state, Tekkud and Zechariah had some target practice while one of our dogs shook the loathsome creature about by the head till it bled out. I would feel sorry for the creature, perhaps.

If I were an elf.

Tobul wastes no time in throwing the vile corpse outside with the refuse. It is good that her boy Kosoth can see at a young age the might of the dwarven people.

21st Galena

The Traders are here.

Woobmonkey and a few other carpenter ruffians hang over Shem's shoulder. He makes sure to trade for logs.

We make trade, and the humans have brought some fine goods. A great variety of liquors and exotic meats, along with cheeses and many bins of cloth. I even buy some metal bars, as all we seem to find is iron.

1st Limestone

Autumn has come.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:02:57 am by Grevenis »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6