Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Torchbridge - Last Gasp in the North (RP Succession, Overseers Wanted)  (Read 7106 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Torchbridge - Last Gasp in the North (RP Succession, Overseers Wanted)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 01:42:16 pm »

I'm overseeing please. Also dorf me as Zechariah.

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 08:26:35 pm »

This is a yak leather notebook. It is covered with sand. It menaces with spikes of disorganization and poor handwriting. On the cover is writing in dimple dye that reads, "Grevenis".

27 Slate, 2015

I will make use of this parting gift from the Mountainhome.

Snow and sand get in my eyes. The snow is more respectful, it has the decency to melt.

In the Mountainhome I was a gravedigger.

I hope that I am not still one.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:39:53 pm by Grevenis »

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 08:56:25 pm »

9 Malachite, 2015 -- AquiziTC Orbchanced, Overseer

We've lost two horses full of meat in the past month, since Zon decided a two-month long break to play with her cats was more important than making sure they were potted and prepared properly. Only now she drags her sorry arse into the kitchen only to complain about miasma since she didn't bother to throw out the rotten meat first. May Armok thrice-damn her. Her and her two cats. If we starve, it be on her head.

Wherever that aid from the other Kingdoms is, we could sure use it soon. I don't know if we'll last the year with just the seven of us. It's too slow going.

17 Malachite, 2015

With the hardcrafts level complete. I've ordered a hallway dug out in the south of the residential zone. It will be for the offices of those who will contribute to the smooth running of our new... oh.. oh Bërûl forgive me. This is a fortress isn't it? Or it will be! Such an undertaking requires a name.

----

After quick consultation with the others, we have decided upon Litastsazir as the name of our new home. May 'Torchbridge' light and offer the way to a brigher future.

Right, the offices. I've chosen the first as mine, and have begun to take records on our stocks here. Oh sure, I may be a simple mason and stoneworker, but we have another mason, and I can keep records and make pots in my spare time. Plus, the more I keep records, the better I'll become at it.

26 Malachite, 2015

MIGRANTS!

Thank Armok, our bretheren came through! Eight industrious dwarves from one of the nearby nations have come to aid our fledgling fortress. One is even a great mason and engraver, meaning I can take to record keeping full time. I make a note to keep up with the stonecrafting, since we will always have need for more rock pots.

Some new farmhands have come, they will work well. A second hunter has arrived. I'll make sure to let them lose above as soon as our metal industry is thriving and producing bolts prodigiously.
I let the newcomers know that they will be expected to haul some goods, at least those somewhat similar to their skills. They understand, as limited as we are here. I make sure Woob makes more beds. We will need them. I also have the miners dig out more bedrooms. One of the dwarves brought a female piglet. We may keep it to milk when it grows, since it won't hunger for the grass we don't have. I tell the dwarves they may have it as a pet if they desire.

We've a weaver, spinner, and clothesmaker as well. Bringing pig tail seeds with us now sounds like it was a smart decision.

6 Galena, 2015

Huzzah! 4maskwolf has become our first legendary dwarf within the fortress of Torchbridge. Stone trembles at the sight of his pick and might arm. Strike the earth, 4maskwolf! May you be the first of many.

7 Galena, 2015

Ravens! A flock of them have infiltrated the farms, and the loud squaks and caws are making it impossible for anyone to work. Our hunters seem content to not shoot them. Lazy.

I'll have to order a roof constructed.

I order our two hunters to deal with them. Zechariah thinks this apparently makes him our militia commander now. I'm not going to argue as long as they kill the birds. They manage to chase most of them out, and Tekkud, rather than shooting a bird he sees, he runs up and beats it to death.

With his bare hands.
Yikes.

I order WoobMonkey to make enough beds for the bedrooms. He points out to me that we're almost out of logs. "What am I going to do if we don't have any LOGS?!" he complains. I try to explain to him that the wood is for beds and for beds ONLY. He does not seem convinced.

20 Galena, 2015

I may have been too rough on Zon. There's just something about her... the way her earlobes hang slightly, or the protrusions of her eyes, even the cats I can tolerate.
Zon... my angel.

22 Galena, 2015

The bedrooms are finished, so I begin hard mining operations below. I dig down some, and at the lowest level of dolomite, I tell the miners to go crazy. They immediately mark off a large square on the blueprints, and start digging.

Unfortunately, the miners tell me that the lowest level of dolomite is immediately below the hardcrafts level. It appears our burial chambers will have to be deeper.

Autumn is close, and the summer migrants tell me more will come, and a caravan too! Let's hope they do not let us down.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 09:17:45 pm »

Carpenter's log, 21 Galena, 2015:

I wonder, if I were to fashion a neck-brace out of something nice and hard, like oak or mahogany, if I'd be safe back home.  Yesterday, log <hehe>, was not a great day.

I was just minding my own business, 'whittlin' sawdust' as my da used to call it, when outta nowhere I got knocked over by Mr Highnmighty himself.  Like he needs to remind me, of all people, of our scarcity of wood!

It's some consolation, at least, that He's gonna be hearing Zon's snores, and not me - get this, I got a nice big room of my own!

That made me happy, I guess.  Not like you do, log, but still it's nice.  Too bad those @*!#^ ravens had to go and drop their poop all over my nice, tidy, workshop.

I hear there are new folks on the way.  I hope that one of them would like to apprentice under me; I'm pretty sure da also said 'when you've got poop all over your workshop, you need an apprentice.'  Yeah!  He said that the first day I helped him clea...  By Armok's Magical Browneye, I need a drink.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »

25 Limestone, 2015 -- AquiziTC Orbchanced, Overseer

More migrants! This time early in the season. Skills are varied, yet high. We have a great weaponsmith, someone for gems, a new stonecrafter! I'll be bookkeeping from now on. A new novice miner. I'm sure our experts will help him along. That miner, Shem, also tells me he's a good trader, so I put him in charge of our trades. He immediately commissions a trade depot and rock crafts.

We also get some minor farmers and a potter!

With uses for magma increasing, I decide it's time to crack open the lifeblood of the world. Using ancient dwarven dousing techniques [yes, DFhack shu'up!], we pinpoint a nearby magma tube, and begin to dig down.

8 Sandstone, 2015

Success! As a blizzard rages above, our new broker shouts of warm stone below. We can now begin to think about smithing.

Walls are also going to be needed soon. Conscripting every dwarf to be a temporary mason, I design aboveground walls and drawbridges for protection. A ceiling can come later.

28 Sandstone, 2015

Disaster! Our new weaponsmith has gone fey! We're not ready for this! I inform the miners to work on the magma pit with the utmost haste, foregoing all other jobs. I also inform WoobMonkey, who is an accomplished mechanic as well as a carpenter, to prepare to link up some dolomite floodgates, again at the price of all other labor.
I tell the miners that when they're done, they will also construct a smelter and forge. Armok help us, I think we can do it.

10 Timber, 2015

We're running out of time. The magma is flowing, but will it be fast enough?!

1 Moonstone, 2015

In my rush to make sure we don't lose a dwarf so soon, we have run out of alcohol. Dwarves are looking at me like I am the incarnation of our vampire king himself. I order some brewed, but Zon insists her cats need her right now, and that this break is important.
I must defend my love.

It makes me very unpopular, to say the least.
Luckily, the caravan is here! I shall trade for booze, and all shall be well.

Also, we have beaten the clock!

I trade for the booze, and a horde of thirsty dwarves descent on the depot. The merchants chuckle as we all, yes, myself included, gulp down the liquid nectar. I also trade for some logs for WoobMonkey, and some animals for meat.

5 Moonstone, 2015

Domas has finished his creation!

It's.. well..

Um.. it represents..

The musicality of... traps?

.... I guess it's a metaphor.
Still, that's a legendary weaponsmith added to our fort. I could think of worse things.

With the fort winding into sustain mode for winter, I order the smoothing of the residential level walls. Hoping that a little natural beauty can offset the grumbling I hear for letting the... Alcohol Incident occur.

I fear my time as Overseer runs short.

[ Final entry will happen tonight. ]

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:23 pm »

18 Moonstone, 2015 -- AquiziTC Orbchanced, Overseer

The Dwarf Alliance Liaison finally got around to meeting with me, and I made sure to request logs for Woob, as well as coal for steel. I made smaller requests for new seeds, to diversify our farmland, and gypsum, for eventual hospital needs.

He leaves soon after, requesting some strange items for trade. Drinks, for one. Quite odd considering he saw what happened to us just moments before. Before he goes, he tells us that the Nations are deciding what to do about the king. Open war is not an option, but we are known, and our plight is supported. That is all we can ask for.

1 Obsidian, 2015

Another strike of fey. This time it is one of our miners, Grevenis. He claims my old mason's workshop and quickly starts gathering materials. It doesn't seem like he'll be much of a problem. He does seem to like the limonite, though. It seems that another mason, this one legendary, shall appear in Torchbridge.

11 Obsidian, 2015

Grevenis has made an artifact quern, for the cave wheat seeds coming next year, apparently. While not as expensive as the iron ball, the name is certainly special enough. He calls it: Tattooedplayed the Unbridled Pearl. Only Armok knows what that means.

While I was checking in on the artifact's progress, I was surrounded by our small company. Woob stepped forward, shaking his head, "Now listen. I know you're a log hater, and I can tolerate that. Not everyone can handle the life of a carpenter-mechanic." Truly, I had no idea what he was talking about. "But!" he continued, "no booze? Especially not in wooden barrels? Made from logs? Now that's something we just can't tolerate. Quiz, old boy, you gotta go."

I was dumbstruck. For one oversight, one overfocused goal, I was being driven from Torchbridge? "Out into the snowy desert?" I exclaimed, horrified at the dry freeze that awaited me.

"What?! No! You're still good with the records. You just... stay in your office and... well someone else is in charge is all."

Well, I would live, but it was still disheartening to hear my comrades say that my time was up. I managed to at least keep my "expedition leader" title I usurped from Vabôk, and my office and bookkeeper status. But who to place in charge?

"It's finished! The limonite, the blue jade, TATTOOEDPLAYED!" Grevenis finished his artifact, raising the quern high above his head in triumph.

"Grevenis! Our newest legend... our newest Overseer!" I blindsided the poor lad, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Plus it was always good to have a hardworking dwarf of the earth in charge: one of our legendary miners.

So... this is where my journal ends. You move on to Grevenis now, and the tale of Torchbridge goes with you.

[
Ok! So... typical kinda boring first year, except for that weaponsmith strange mood. That frazzled me, and I almost lost him. It also broke my flow on fort design and how I wanted to organize ore stockpiles and whatnot, so that's kinda not done.

No major notes. There are two levels on the hardcrafts level, top one is upper floodgate (THE DANGEROUS ONE), bottom one is lower floodgate. Both have notes atop of them. Bridges up top are unlinked, but the levers on the softcrafts level are for them, left for left, right for right.

Hauling and jobs may be a little messy, but you can always change it to suit your will.

Save file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41740546/Torchbridge.zip
Good luck Grevenis! STRIKE THE EARTH!
]

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 11:43:45 pm »

5 Moonstone, 2015 - Grevenis' Log

On this page there are a large quantity of incoherent, ANGRY scribblings, and a few words.

There is no booze.

I must have dug too deep. I have entered hell.

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 12:39:40 am »

Ok I've got you down. Grevenis will have to dorf you though.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 12:42:10 am »

Alright, nice first year, I'll post a few journal entries tomorrow morning when I can actually think straight.

AquiziTC

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_CLEVER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 01:05:48 am »

Oh I forgot unit list and z screen. Can you do that Grevenis?

Grevenis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 01:27:08 am »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:02 am »

The following is found engraved in a wall in the mines. It appears to have been crudely carved out with a pick.
Did I ever tell you how go got my name diary? No? Well, it's a great story. So, one day, when I was young, a baby called me that. That's right! I like it. It sets me apart. Makes me special. I like special.

Further down, you find another engraving
Guess what, diary! Today the overseerer (I think his name is AquiziTC) told me I was legendary. I asked him what that meant, and after a moment he told me to forget it. Well, I asked around and apparently it means I'm good at what I do. Yay! I'm special!

Further down:
I still remember the day we left like it was yesterday. Maybe it was
WHOOOOSH! (That's the flashback noise, diary)
"You must leave!" The bookeeper yelled.
"All of us nodded grimly. Well, everyone else did. I raised my hand.
"No, no time for questions! Go!"
The rest of the party started to leave. But. I had to ask my question. I think he just didn't see me, haha. I waved my hand around, just to be sure.
"Fine! What?"
"Can I go get my lucky pick?"
"No! You need to leave!"
"Please?"
"No!"
I frowned. Maybe he didn't realize what I was asking. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.
"Pretty please?"
At that point, Grenvis dragged me to where the wagon was leaving.
WHOOOOSH!
I' sure the bookeeper would have given in, but I can't stay mad at Grenvis. He bought me a new pick! Said "take this, you bastard, and shut up." I don't know what that means, but he never called anyone else that, so it makes me special. He's my best bud!

OOC: Yes, I know he spelled Grenevis wrong.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:57:54 pm by 4maskwolf »

Bartantalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »

Im in, may the legendary creater of glazed coast guide my keystrokes

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 09:06:56 pm »

Found near the refuse pile (undated):

This is an inferior carving of a mechanic, a lever, some magma, and an overseer.  The mechanic is pulling the lever and laughing.  The magma is flowing.  The overseer is burning.  On the image is a caption.  The caption is written in watery vomit.

"No wood and no booze and no wood and no booze and no wood and no booze and no wood and no booze"
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6