Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 76

Author Topic: Roll To Medium: Awakening [Chapter VI]  (Read 144297 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Medium: Recursion [Chapter V]
« Reply #840 on: February 22, 2015, 06:32:34 pm »

((Thrice damn. I'm cutting this short due to brevity because I prepared a LONG post here, and it got deleted due to coincidental and hilarious browser crash -_- Coupled with this cursed net connection, hello lost ton of data. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS due to a total lack of flavor and writing.))

{Stuff to edit in on speaking out thoughts...out loud}

[...]"There's a village nearby, and I think you could get aid there. You don't look like an average hiker--have you been into martial arts or some such? And what did you mean by...can't really see much? Are you...blind?"

{Also long-query on the hair color...Ugh my net.}
Inquire.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 24, 2015, 03:24:49 pm »

((Once a couple of more turns are entered, I might post a full turn soon enough - after the dialogues are done, of course.

This would benefit everyone twofold, considering that my internet is unreliable at the moment.))

((Thrice damn. I'm cutting this short due to brevity because I prepared a LONG post here, and it got deleted due to coincidental and hilarious browser crash -_- Coupled with this cursed net connection, hello lost ton of data. PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS due to a total lack of flavor and writing.))

{Stuff to edit in on speaking out thoughts...out loud}

[...]"There's a village nearby, and I think you could get aid there. You don't look like an average hiker--have you been into martial arts or some such? And what did you mean by...can't really see much? Are you...blind?"

{Also long-query on the hair color...Ugh my net.}
Inquire.
Eleri
He shifts around uncomfortably, taking care not to hurt himself in the process. "The v-village? You mean.. Telenos A-aria? I.. is there anywhere else you can take me? Do.. do you have friends that can help? And, uh, no. I don't think I've done any fighting in my life, and I'm not really a hiker. I, um... I can't really talk about it right now. I was just attacked by those things.

"Oh, and yeah, I'm sorta blind. I've been that way for my entire life. I can sense colors and light, but I can only barely see shapes, like you. It all blends together. I've learned to use my ears and my other senses in place of my sight, so I think I'm still pretty okay. So, yeah, that's why I don't get why closing my eyes really helps. Have my eyes turned inside-out or something?"
He laughs in a small voice, wincing as the action causes the pain to be exacerbated for a small amount of time.

Warren Drake

"I'm from Atis, and I'm not sure how I'm here now. I am sure, however, that there's supernatural events or very vivid and halfway consistent hallucinations involved."

Mentally compare the date to the last confirmed date in my mind. When did this business start? Is it the same calendar as what I'm used to, or does Atis use a different one?
Warren Drake
Your new acquaintance puts one hand on his hip and looks up, trying to see if he can remember what Atis is. "Atis, Atis.. hm. Nope, never heard of it. Clarisse! You know anything about a place named Atis?" He calls out to one of the other workers who is about thirty meters behind him. Due to the way she is observing the other workers, you believe she is some sort of overseer of the logging site.

"Atis? I think... I think that's an island in the middle of the ocean, innit?"

The man snaps his fingers, finally having the island back into his memory. "Oh yeah! Now I remember. I went there when I was young for a vacation. It was nice, not too crowded and pretty peaceful. Now, you mentioned hallucinations? I think I'd expect that from someone who was lost. How long you've been lost, three or four days? Maybe a week? Like I said, we'll get you some water and food. There's a village not too far to the west that you could stay at until they figure out how to get you home."

During his statement, you check in with your mind, trying to figure out how long you have been stuck in this weird place. Before the breakout of the supernatural shenanigans, the invasion and takeover of Atis, and the eruption of the volcano, you believe that is was the 26th of Mamote. This would set it at about 3-4 days since you left the island. As far as you know, Atis still uses the same Kathosian calendar that most of the rest of the world uses. Of course, you could be wrong, but this is better than anything else you could have at the moment.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 25, 2015, 02:41:31 am »

"Will do, and thanks."

Get snacks and a drink, then move on to the village to the west. Be appropriately grateful.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:45 pm »

((Turn goes here))

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 25, 2015, 06:37:32 pm »

(I'm not sure if this was established yet, but what are the religions?)
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 25, 2015, 06:50:03 pm »

"I COULD tell you, but I don't need too! Just go on the Grid, that'll show you. You see, the less one is taught, the more one has learned! You see, the beauty?! I'll get ya set up!"

Get the laptop set up and look up "Anders II"
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 26, 2015, 08:59:34 pm »

(I'm not sure if this was established yet, but what are the religions?)

((Yet another thing that I failed to elaborate on before the game began/as the game was underway. Well, now is better than never, right?))

An introduction to religion on Atis...

Religion on Atis tends to be fairly simple when compared to the other parts of history that set the stage for this lonely island. For the most part, Atis has been free of religious strife throughout most of its inhabitation by human beings, crediting its isolated state for most of the past few centuries as the main factor for religious peace. Religions, too, are also pretty basic in the big picture. Until recently, the population has mainly been divided into two different beliefs.

Mudeia: The main religion of the island itself, shared by nearly all of the Atisi population, as well as some parts of the Magis Kingdom and a minority of the Aecrocian population.This religion lends itself to a believe in five different major deities named Ea, Zahret, Kios, Illiane, and Haevot, represented by the stars, the water, the earth, the volcano, and the wind respectively. Rituals mainly consist of praying for a deity's blessing and offering something of a tribute for that deity, mainly in the form of something associated with that deity (food of the earth for Kios, fish or porpos (a plant from the sea) for Zahret, etc). The dedication of certain buildings or natural landmarks to deities is also considered to be great for the benefit of the entire community. Mudeians believe that the deities protect the island of Atis for as long as people on Atis believe in the deities. As is standard with most religions, the Mudeians also believe that natural disasters are associated with the displeased status of the deities. The deities are also not represented by any figures, though, depending on the area, they are sometimes represented by different animals, colors or physical concepts. The main idea of Mudeian ideology is in "working for the betterment of the world, so that all living beings may come closer to Aina [heaven/deities/enlightenment]" (Piros a Mudeia, Chapter IV page 23). This is interpreted differently per each community, but the general rule involves avoiding strife if possible and helping other living beings to improve in health or mind whenever you can.

Irvitos: This religion is focused more on the concept that humans are inherently evil, and that all humans must go through a process of praying to and believing in one god named Ivos, so that their souls may be saved from the void of death. The people who belong in this religion tend to be more on the missionary side, believing that they must go and spread the word of Ivos in order to bring people to the light of faith. Communities centered around Irvitos generally build churches for the religion where believers congregate and pray for salvation. Speaking of communities, Irivitos is most popular in the Magis Kingdom, with a tiny part of Aecrocians believing in the religion also. Next to no one in the Atisi community believes in this religion, preferring either to be followers of Mudeia or to be atheistic.
Followers of Ivos generally some sort of jewelry on their body with a colorful gem, which represents their soul. Priests in the religion carry a blue pendant with a silver frame around it underneath their ceremonial robes during congregations, leaving their pendants at their churches after the ceremonies. Generally, the color blue in Irvitos symbolizes purity, while purple symbolizes corruption or a soul that is being twisted by evil intentions.

Videjism: Otherwise known as the belief in Videjis, a central point of the universe that brought about the creation and maintenance of all life in the world, is a religion that has only recently arrived on Atis. Mainly practiced by people on the eastern coast of Survatas, Videjism shies away from concepts of "deities" and instead encourages an exploration of the mind and the universe: the internal and the external. It is less of a religion and more of an ideology, but it still remains with a large following and a decent organization spanning eastern Survatas and some small parts of the Theyin Empre. Videjism sets a belief on a faceless, unknown entity and physical point known as "Videjis." Like said earlier, this is what is believed to be the starting point of the universe and the eventual end of the known universe. It is a neutral entity that governs over the realms of the dead and the living, and is neither feared nor known by any soul. Vijedism intends to explore what caused the existence of Videjis and why the world exists as it does now, and how human beings can learn to grow in their own introspection. Videjism came to the island of Atis about a century and a half ago, when major communication between Aecrocia and cities across the eastern coast of Survatas finally initiated. Vijedism is most prominent within Aecrocian and some Atisi communities, although it has gotten nowhere near the size of the other two major religions on Atis.

Spanning Atis, there are some more minor religions that every person may believe in. However, these three religions are the largest ones by membership. More religions do indeed exist outside of Atis, and will be explored later on as the Guardians begin to spread out and explore more of the world and the problems that are hidden deep below the surface.

((Obviously, not completely fleshed out yet, but this is just to give you an idea about what religions center around the island of Atis. If you need more clarification, just ask.))

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:08 pm »

(I think I'll go with irvitos, considering the inherently evil and needing redemption fits my character. Is it okay that if I ever unlock at will zero form, I can change my text color to a glowing blue?)
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:21 pm »

(I think I'll go with irvitos, considering the inherently evil and needing redemption fits my character. Is it okay that if I ever unlock at will zero form, I can change my text color to a glowing blue?)

((Seems good to me.))

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 04, 2015, 11:33:32 pm »

Apologies for the long wait, but I have been extremely busy the past week and have been traveling all over the place. I'm now home, though, so I will be able to complete the rest of the turn. It should be up in a couple of days.

Thank you for being patient and I hope that I can be more timely soon,
Artemis.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 04, 2015, 11:45:22 pm »

Hope things improve, and good luck!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 05, 2015, 12:48:44 am »

Oh! Turn! Yes.

Let's go talk to the help desk.

"Yes, hello (sir|madame)? I happen to be new to the area, could you tell me about some neat places to sightsee here, and the cities or towns nearby?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 06, 2015, 05:05:05 am »

Apologies for the long wait, but I have been extremely busy the past week and have been traveling all over the place. I'm now home, though, so I will be able to complete the rest of the turn. It should be up in a couple of days.

Thank you for being patient and I hope that I can be more timely soon,
Artemis.
((Oh goodness, I thought I replied [once more...] to this before! :X Will reserve this post for my edit [which shall be done] later on!))

Edit: @DAF: I 'did' say 'PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS' in all caps in my action above. You could cull out the other text and leave only the bolded part. XD

Eleri added the name of the village into her mental list of 'places to remember', that being quite a small list given her recent memory block from {bad past experiences}. Musing over his words, she thought about anything pertinent to the situation.

Now was it Telenos Aria or something else, she wondered on. He must know this place better than me. Though it is very strange to see a blind man all the way in the wilderness from the village...Given him being not a hiker. May just be reluctant to give information, but that is quite a lot of information there.

...Can sense colors and light?
The words perked up her ears. I wonder how I look as a silhouette? Maybe I have triangles on the sides of my head. Big, isosceles ears. That makes sense.

At the issuance of his laugh, Eleri leaned over him on reflex with her arm outstretched, presumably to calm him. Seeing her position, she froze and instead turned her hand to check on the perimeter of his wounds.

"Hah-well, you're pretty much alright for a person having been attacked by...something near the spring. Do you have any recollection of what you were doing up there? When I rescued you, you had some kind of brackish tar on your body, which I scooped away" ...what's the term. "-though currently I can't find where it went.

"And before I continue. Why I don't want you to-well, didn't want you to see me, as I guessed-um, wondered you could see, was because of...this."

Lift tail with other hand and let it brush on his (unwounded) forearm. Also converse as a general action--if needed a full action: Check outside and note the weather, time of presumed day, and supplies at hand.

"That's me, by the way. I mean, part of me. That...thing that brushed your arm."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:07:19 am by Tiruin »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: March 10, 2015, 04:04:37 am »

TURN FORTY-TWO: TO SEE AND BELIEVE

So the internet connection situation and my workload both have not been improving very well, but I am working on it. I hope that this update will be more than satisfactory for what it is, and that you all have a great week.

Wait, this was supposed to go in the author's note, wasn't it? Ah well. Works for me, I guess.

Eh Ah

Walk around the volcano. Take in the sights of Atis, survey the land. Anything abnormal that I can see?
Eh Ah

The island of Atis has changed considerably in the past week or so. What was a mundane lifestyle that left you yearning for something bigger to explore has collapsed into a river rapid that sweeps you off of your feet and takes you for a ride with new people, a new environment, and many questions that have yet to be answered. You went from working at the local fish market to being interviewed by the Empress of the Theyin Empire herself, who seems to have more than a few problems on her own plate, too.
Maybe this is your opportunity to become a part of a greater change - if that is what you desire.

You begin to walk around the perimeter of the volcano, taking in the sifting sound of the ashes beneath your feet, as well as observing the burn tree stumps and the smoke billowing from the mouth of the volcano. Apart from what you've noticed before, there's not much that stands out to you as odd or peculiar. If you look hard, you can see some of the craters or burned areas that are left over from the landing of artillery on the island, the results of the display of power that Seira Theyin executed upon the island. You're still not sure if you can trust her and her words, but for now, you will give her the benefit of the doubt that the shelling of the island was not her idea.

You turn your view to the recovering city that stands before you - Aecrocia, one of the centers of commerce and communication for this polarized world. For what it's worth, the city seems to be recovering at a decent rate. Already, you can see that some of the damaged buildings are already in the process of being repaired, along with some of the roads which have been cratered or dirtied with debris of all kinds. Recalling what you've seen over the past few days, you are curious about the state of the relationships between the Theyin soldiers and the Aecrocians.

There's still much to find about the state of the island at this time. You have most of the day left to go around and investigate, as it doesn't seem that the Empress has placed some sort of curfew or watch over you. Might as well make what you can of the day and ask around.

((There's still a couple of events that need to be synced up, which is why you're in a sort of free roam at this point.))

Keep moving, but stay alert and try to minimize the noise I make.
Jonathan Eridis
You've spent so much time in these woods, that to ignore something like this would be a grave mistake. However, you are also pursuing a goal right now. To be detracted would be to lose out on precious time for sleeping, foraging, or exploring new places. The daylight only slips away, to be shorter and shorter as you look behind you. With this in mind, you quietly pick your bag and yourself up, moving with light feet and open ears away from the riverbank.

It doesn't take long for you to settle into a smooth motion that you use to move along. Put one foot in front, shallowly plant it and move forward, doing the same with the other foot. Making use of the soft grass and the muddy terrain, you are able to keep yourself surprisingly quiet. You find yourself even straining to hear your own footsteps as you plod along in the wet terrain. Looking around constantly and using your ears to keep yourself alert, you can't seem to find whatever rustled the bushes behind you earlier. Perhaps it was a timid creature that scurried away at your presence. At the very least, you are thankful that the trip so far has gone smoothly. You don't think that you could ask for anything better yet - though, maybe the ability to move faster might serve you well. Due to the muddy terrain that both aides you and hinders you at the same time, you are only able to move so fast without making a commotion.

You feel like an hour or two has gone by before you finally clear the muddy terrain. The rain, likewise, seems to have let up now, with only a few sprinkles of water here and there to remind you that the rain was brushing the dry landscape of this forest not too long ago. Continuing your trek, you begin to hear a soft, rolling sound being introduced to your ears. As you continue along your path, the rolling sound begins to become louder and louder. Soon, you realize that it must be the river going down some sort of rapid or drop. There doesn't seem to be anything else in the forest that would be able to cause such a tone. You're not exactly sure what this means for you yet, but perhaps you will be able to gain some sort of vantage point over the horizon if there is a cliff or downward slope of sorts. With this, you might be able to find more tracks toward civilization. It would certainly be a great leap forward from the risk that you've taken in leaving your familiar environment for something that might possibly work out in the end, or might not.

It is up to you and the things that you've learned about the environment to determine the future that you will live out very soon.

Alex would smile. With a silent prayer to the gods, he would attempt to send shards of ice at the doctor.
Alex Raman
There's not much chance of you getting out of here now. The doctor is nearly finished with his business, and the guards will send you back on your way, perhaps to an emptier and drier cell than before. If you don't act quickly and cause a commotion, this may get much uglier than it needs to be.

Well, that's assuming that you don't want it to turn ugly. Hey, I guess different people like different things, right? I'm not judging, for one.

The doctor, diligent as he is in his work, moves over to wash his hands and make sure that his equipment is clean before sending you out of here. You watch eagerly, waiting for the moment where the faucet will be turned and the water will begin falling out of the mouth of the faucet, all of the little water molecules potentially forming into solid figures for you. Figures that could potentially be used for cooling items down, or maybe as a side effect of the cold winter days down in the south. Not this time, however; now, you are going to use them to propagate death and preserve yourself for the time being. What more is there to life than chaos? Why not take out your anger on the ones who facilitated the destruction of your island?

No, there's no stopping you now. The water begins to pour out of the faucet - first one drop, then two, and then a steady flow of the water arrives. This is your moment. You take a quick breath and extend your arm, willing the water to solidify into cold shards. You hear the crackling of the ice as it solidifies on the faucet and around the hands of the doctor, freezing him in place. He gasps audibly, not believing what his eyes are seeing. To finish the deal, you gesture outwards with your hand and watch as the ball of ice around his hands breaks into several shards. Finally, you pull your hand back to your body and will the shards to come flying back to the doctor. The doctor, with his sudden reflexes, moves out of the way of most of the ice shards as they whiz past him, shattering on the wall behind him and cracking the paint. As he turns his shoulder, you can see that a couple of shards caught in his arm and are drawing blood from him. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can use the faucet at this moment, considering that you've seem to have frozen the entrance of the faucet over.

"What the hell?!"" You spin around, noticing that there was one guy that you missed: the guard. He aims his rifle at you and shouts, "Get down on the ground now! Don't you dare move an inch, or I will shoot!"

"You don't even..."
I sigh, then draw one of my throwing knives and hand it to him, hilt first.
"Here, now come on."
I walk out to a clear, mostly level area with few rocks and turn around.
"Now, you ready?"
((Since Lenglon seems to be making actions based on my response, I'm going to stop reading it, and post mine.))

Cromwell took the knife, thankful that the hilt was offered first, since it bugged him when people didn't know to do that.
"Yeah, of course I'm ready. Should you start, or should I?"
Lirian & Cromwell Jackson
As Lirian has already experienced, the Shadows are not particularly domesticated creatures that will be kindly to humans. If Cromwell wishes to venture with Lirian on these investigations into the unknown, they both must be prepared to fight in case it comes down to that. You don't expect that you will be perfect at fighting, but at least you would be able to hold your own and not be completely obliterated in a matter of seconds. That is the goal and the hope of this training, at least. With this in mind, the two of you thank Erin for her hospitality and excuse yourselves outside.

"Um.. I don't really know what's going on. Just.. please do let me know when you are ready for breakfast. Again, my father should be here soon if you need him." With that, Erin Kito waves the two of you goodbye and leaves the two of you to practice outside.

After exchanging a few short words, you take out one of your throwing knives and hand it to Cromwell. He takes the knife and examines it uncertainly, attempting to get a feel for how it moves and functions. It seems so strange to him that he was working a relatively low-level job in Aecrocia just a few days before this, and now he was in an unfamiliar place, learning how to use knives and beginning to investigate strange incidences in a strange place with strange people. Without much hesitance, Cromwell agrees that he is ready, saying, "Yeah, of course I'm ready. Should you start, or should I?"

Lirian regards him carefully, observing how he stands, how his eyes move about, and how he is carrying the knife. Showing no emotion, she circles around Cromwell for several seconds before approaching him and moving his body, straightening his back, putting his legs into a stable stance, and showing him how to use the knife while not compromising his own defense or reactive abilities. After making sure that he is in a considerable defensive stance, Lirian pretends to make a quick strike to Cromwell's left upper body. Cromwell responds by giving up his stance and falling back into an unstable position once again, putting his unoccupied arm up to deflect her attack. Lirian takes this opening and kicks him back lightly, making him lose his balance and fall completely. She stands over him and offers her hand, pulling him back up.

"Try not to flinch backward. Think about your stance. Don't give it up, but use what you have and adjust around your opponent. Here, try to hit me." Lirian falls back into her own defensive stance, waiting for Cromwell to make a move. He analyses her stance for several seconds before attempting to move around her left side and swipe at her. She deftly dodges the attack and readjusts to get under Cromwell's swing, using the opportunity to move in and stab at him. She lightly pokes his torso with the point of her blade and stands up, explaining how he did. "You opened yourself up to a counterattack by making a swipe like that. You lose your advantage in stance by doing that and not being prepared. Try being a bit more cautious. And remember to keep your footing stable."

This exchange continues for the better of about half an hour, with Lirian correcting Cromwell's mistakes and showing him some basic attacks and counterattacks that would work well against an untrained opponent. Occasionally, Cromwell falters and lacks proper stance or forgets about how far he makes his attacks, but eventually he catches onto the basic concepts. Of course, watching martial arts movies back home like Long Road Home and Nineteen and Two helped with the basics of fighting, but nothing could compare to actually learning with someone who knew what they were doing. Cromwell is nowhere near close to being proficient at knife fighting - or at fighting in general - but he is showing aptitude and is understanding how to hold his own and to not fall flat when the enemy has the opportunity to do so.

Looks like you still have some time before Dr. Kito arrives home. You could train some more, go around the accessible areas of the Complex, look around the town quickly, or talk to Erin and Tileno. Or, maybe you could just relax. That's an option too.

"Will do, and thanks."

Get snacks and a drink, then move on to the village to the west. Be appropriately grateful.
Warren Drake
Being mannerly and thankful towards your unlikely hosts, you proceed to head to the designated tent, where an older gentleman with a rough beard is relaxing and drinking from a clear bottle. As soon as you enter his peripheral vision, he sets the bottle down on the ground near him and stands up, taking a good look at you. Although he seems to be confused by your appearance, he welcomes you anyway. "Hello there, what's a lad like you doin' all the way out here?" You explain to him that it is by mere chance that you happened to come across this camp, and that you've been whisked away from your home through strange circumstances. Not wishing to explain further on the subject, you ask him if he could spare some food and water for your trip to the village nearby.

"Oh, sure. Go ahead, there's plenty to go around. Wish ya safe travels, and hope you find a shower soon." He laughs heartily and, picking up his glass bottle, strolls along to a nearby shady area to your right, complete with a tarp. You look below one of the tables and find a container full of dry food, mostly containing a mixture of nuts, some crackers, raisins, and other dried fruit. Not wanting to just stuff food in your pants, you eventually find a small brown bag no bigger than your head that you should be able to use to carry a small amount of food. It's not like you'll need much to get to the town, anyways. You also manage to acquire a waterskin from one of the nearby tents and fill it with water from one of the barrels located near the food containers. Fully stocked and ready to go, you set off in the direction of the town that the young man indicated, hoping to find some sort of pointer for your current location.

You follow a lonely dirt path until you can no longer see the smoke of the logging camp behind you. The road that you take exits the forest and enters into a valley between two hills, which both extend in out to the distance with rising highs and lows throughout. Although the weather right now seems to be a bit brisk, there doesn't seem to be any snow or ice that you notice. This seems to match up with the change of temperature that occurred when you trekked down the slope of the marshes and the forests, where you would eventually find the girl and the logging camp.

Eventually, the hills on both sides seem to slope downward, giving way to a relatively flat area where the dirt road splits in two. To the right, you can see some structures in the distance, possibly made of wood and concealed in the trees. To the left, the path continues on in the wilderness, presumably off to another sort of camp or town. You suppose that the structures on your right correspond with the village that you were told of. Hopefully, these people will be able to tell you where you are and how you can get back to your previous home.

"I COULD tell you, but I don't need too! Just go on the Grid, that'll show you. You see, the less one is taught, the more one has learned! You see, the beauty?! I'll get ya set up!"

Get the laptop set up and look up "Anders II"
Cat Schrodinger
"Professor, that's not fair!" Reyna complains. "I don't even get to have access to a computer, let alone the Grid! I would if I could.." she folds her arms across her chest, looking at you for your response. She reminds you also that you don't actually have your computer with you right now. You could go ahead and bring it here, but you're not sure if that would be the smartest of ideas, considering that you have no access to the Grid past five meters outside of the University.
The technology involved with the Grid is still in development, unfortunately, along with the computing technology that has only recently been introduced in the consumer market sector. Advancements are being made every day, but that still does not change the fact that you are limited in what you can do with the technology right now.

Luckily, you don't believe that you will need the computer for this bit of information. Sir Leo Anders II was a Professor at the University of Kiritos Loya, of the Renova territory, who moved a while ago to the University that you currently work at. He was widely known for being one of the proponents of simultaneous existence theory - a theory that proposed that every event that has happened, is happening, and will happen are all, in fact, occurring at the same time; it is just our perceptions of the events that define time. He has also suggested that the human concepts of the mental and physical worlds are not as separate as we may think. Among other things, he also oversaw several experimental innovations engineering that helped to improve the functions of vehicles, boats, electronic equipment, and even helped to improve the efficiency of factories. He died a few days to a week ago due to an incident that you can't exactly remember at the moment, but you think that this information should suffice for the moment.

Nevertheless, you could choose to bring Reyna along with you to the University to research topics on your computer, or you could stay at the library for now and attempt to help her with her reading here.

Oh! Turn! Yes.

Let's go talk to the help desk.

"Yes, hello (sir|madame)? I happen to be new to the area, could you tell me about some neat places to sightsee here, and the cities or towns nearby?"
Cecil G. Palmer
It would be wise for you to seek out some information, seeing as you are in a place that would be expected to provide such information about the town and some of things that happen within the town. At the very least, you would be able to gain your bearings and find out where you are in physical terms. The mental side of things can wait until later.
You climb down the circular stairs uneasily, still unsure about where you feet are. The experience from the last night was both intriguing and disturbing. You can't really tell what's real or what's a hallucination at this point. The only thing that you can trust in is that your body is sound, and even then, you might not be able to trust that.

So down you go, finally arriving at the first floor and striding nervously to the front desk. You regain your composure and tell yourself that you will be fine, that you just need to take control of your own thoughts. Putting that familiar smile back on your face, you begin to talk to the woman at the front desk. "Oh, hello there! How may I help you today?" the woman at the desk says, smiling warmly.

"Yes, hello madame? I happen to be new to the area, could you tell me about some neat places to sightsee here, and the cities or towns nearby?" you ask in your politest voice.

The woman looks up cheerfully and claps her hands together. "Oh, certainly! I would recommend first that you go ahead and check out Mirepoint Lighthouse. It's a quaint little place on the bay to the north that overlooks ocean that comes into the city. You can see the ocean and ships that come in for miles around! Oh, and I do recommend that you go ahead and take a look at Skybreak Tower. It's the tallest skyscraper this side of the Coalition, found right in the center of the city. You could also visit the imme [rice] fields over to the west. As for towns, we have one sister town to the south called Perith, though it's a pretty small and boring place, in my opinion. I'd recommend that you visit Ulies, over to the west. It's a nice village that sprawls across a mountainside. Other than that, we don't have many towns that close. You'll have to take some sort of transportation to get that far out of here."

She leans on the desk and puts her head on her hands. "Is there anything else that you would like to know, sir?"

((I will probably make a map for you soon enough, but I'm not promising anything because I know I'm terrible at promises.))

Edit: @DAF: I 'did' say 'PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS' in all caps in my action above. You could cull out the other text and leave only the bolded part. XD

Eleri added the name of the village into her mental list of 'places to remember', that being quite a small list given her recent memory block from {bad past experiences}. Musing over his words, she thought about anything pertinent to the situation.

Now was it Telenos Aria or something else, she wondered on. He must know this place better than me. Though it is very strange to see a blind man all the way in the wilderness from the village...Given him being not a hiker. May just be reluctant to give information, but that is quite a lot of information there.

...Can sense colors and light?
The words perked up her ears. I wonder how I look as a silhouette? Maybe I have triangles on the sides of my head. Big, isosceles ears. That makes sense.

At the issuance of his laugh, Eleri leaned over him on reflex with her arm outstretched, presumably to calm him. Seeing her position, she froze and instead turned her hand to check on the perimeter of his wounds.

"Hah-well, you're pretty much alright for a person having been attacked by...something near the spring. Do you have any recollection of what you were doing up there? When I rescued you, you had some kind of brackish tar on your body, which I scooped away" ...what's the term. "-though currently I can't find where it went.

"And before I continue. Why I don't want you to-well, didn't want you to see me, as I guessed-um, wondered you could see, was because of...this."

Lift tail with other hand and let it brush on his (unwounded) forearm. Also converse as a general action--if needed a full action: Check outside and note the weather, time of presumed day, and supplies at hand.

"That's me, by the way. I mean, part of me. That...thing that brushed your arm."
((Mrrrh, I didn't notice that part. I've been pretty busy the past week and have only been able to hammer away at the keyboard for minuscule amounts of time. ))

Eleri
While examining him and conversing with him, you take note of the environment outside. Currently, the weather seems to be pretty mild, with an occasional ocean breeze here or there to cool down the warm, bright day. The clouds in the sky seem to be wispy and thin, not having much chance of bringing rain for you. Your supplies are just about the same as you left them: some silky web, a few branches and a some leaves, an arrangement of rocks for a fireplace, the charred wood remnants from the fire, the rusted knife, and the dried food that you've collected, along with the bucket. Other than that, your gatherings are relatively simple, as you have spent the majority of your time here familiarizing yourself with the environment and scouting out the area for food and water.

He frowns at your question of what he was doing up at the spring. "I... I was.. I was running. Running from them - the creatures, I mean. And before that.. well.. I can't really remember. I just.. remember that the creatures were trying to kill me, and that I had to run. I know it.. probably sounds s-stupid, but.. I followed the light. Not like.. death or anything. But I could tell.. where the creatures were. They were dark, but not like the night. They were different. I just ran where I didn't see that darkness.. I ran."

He frowns yet again, this time from dissatisfaction at his own words. "Yeah.. t-that sounds stupid, doesn't it. Heh- ow." He adjusts himself to avoid putting pressure on his injured arm. At your mentioning of your appearance, he manages to smile slightly and comments, "I don't th- think that you could look.. half as bad as I do r-right no-"
Before he can fully respond, you allow him to feel your tail. He seems puzzled at first, but then slowly begins to understand. "W-wait.. is this your hair? It feels.. wait. No.. this is fur."

"That's me, by the way. I mean, part of me. That...thing that brushed your arm." You let the words fall out softly, allowing him to realize this slowly. You hope to everything that is good in this world that he will not panic or be disgusted by you - just like so many people before him. By the looks of his expression right now, you don't have very high hopes.

"No.. please don't.. don't tell me that you're one of those monsters. But.. you haven't k-killed me yet. W..why? I.. I don't want to die. Not yet. Not so close.." He draws back a bit, suddenly very afraid. You can't tell what he's thinking right now, but he doesn't seem to be reacting very well to you. You start to second-guess what you did. Maybe you've just lost him, even though he was beginning to open up. You can't even think of what he might say about you right now.
He already called you a "monster." There's not much else he could say that hasn't already been said.

Author's note: Yes, I'm super late with this one.
I have been dealing with mental issues for a long time. It's always been something that chases me around. Unfortunately, these past few weeks have been particularly rough on me, what with a few specific problems in my life that keep recurring and getting in the way of my productivity. Top that off with insomnia and a sizable workload and, voila, you have a dysfunctional person sundae!

No, I'm not meaning to throw the blame off of me. I keep making promises about the updates and, 50% of the time, I fail to meet those promises at all. It's totally my fault for not keeping up on that. But I also feel that I have dedicated myself to writing this, and by doing that, I should be able to keep this up in a timely manner, so as not to disinterest any of you. May my personal issues be getting in the way of my ability to write? Yes, but I also feel like I'm doing a disservice by also promising things that I cannot deliver on.

Needless to say, I will continue to strive to deliver these updates as soon as possible, while also allowing for people to catch up on posts if need be.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope you all have a fantastic week,
Artemis.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 04:39:13 am by DarkArtemisFowl »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: March 10, 2015, 10:11:12 am »

Eh Ah

Did the Empress really say she hadn't done this? Seemed like a pointless denial. On the other hand, the artillery probably did save quite a few Theyin lives in the process of bombardment. It does not matter one bit. Not anymore, at least. What's done is done.

Turn my back to Aecrocia for a moment and ponder if I could possibly reach Magis today and also return after a bit of exploration. Never been there before. Might be a good day to visit.

If not, explore Aecrocia a bit and observe its citizens relating with each other and the invaders for the rest of the day. Maybe find something to eat. Check if my stall or my home have survived later.

Warren Drake

Find the nearest purveyor of alcohol. Obtain a stiff drink and a full bottle of booze. Drink the former. Watch out for friendly locals.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 76