Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 76

Author Topic: Roll To Medium: Awakening [Chapter VI]  (Read 144143 times)

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Medium: Awakening [Intermission Three]
« Reply #1080 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:19 am »

TURN SIXTY-ONE: FAMILIAR FACES, FAMILIAR SOUNDS

This turn's gonna be a little on the shorter side, but should set up nicely for future events.

((And still I fail to post. I've really gotten out of the rhythm of things lately.))
Eh Ah
A lunch worthy of champions.

More exploration may be in order. Proceed back there as soon as possible.

((That's understandable. Besides, it's not as if I've always been punctual - rather the opposite, in fact.))
Eh Ah

By "proceed back there," I am assuming that you mean the Magis Kingdom, as that was the last place you explored.

After finishing with your meal, you tidy the place up a bit and make sure that it is secure before you leave. You don't have any state-of-the-art security systems, but locks seem to do the trick - at least, against the unmotivated looters. Having both energy and a full stomach, you exit your house and move on to your next task: exploring even more of the Magis Kingdom. Last time you went there, you were only able to explore the "lower" portion of the kingdom, which included the fortifications, military buildings, lower-class dwellings, and some of the commercial portions of the kingdom. The upper and middle sections, which overlap near where the river winds through the kingdom, were not yet revealed to you. With the strange appearance of the unresponsive woman, you were forced to retire to Aecrocia for the night.

The journey to the Magis Kingdom is a little bit shorter this time, considering that you've already found a viable route and don't have to spend time examining your surroundings. Nothing much has changed on the island from the night to the morning; you're seeing more troops around the city itself, but this could be attributed to your absence from the city while exploring the kingdom. The landscape near the volcano still seems to be in the early stages of healing. A few patches of green sprout up here or there, but the land is still largely blackened due to the eruption of the mountain. Other than that, there are no noticeable differences to what remains of the forest. As you pass by the deeper portion of the forest, you start to see more and more of the Atisi villagers moving around and taking wagons in the direction of Aecrocia.

Within about an hour or so, you arrive at the edges of the Magis Kingdom. As far as you can tell, just about nothing changed when compared to the last time you were here. This time, you can see more activity from some Theyin guards patrolling the outer walls, but the civilians still seem to have abandoned the outer sections of the kingdom itself. Since you've already explored this part ((the part that was included in your map's outlined sections)), you can afford to go straight in and begin making your way to the upper and middle sectors of the kingdom. Alternatively, you could head straight for the castle or the docks on the southern side. There's plenty of choices here, considering the size of the kingdom. The early morning, too, provides you a healthy amount of time to explore on a whim.

Warren Drake

Assault dried vittles in a fit of unthinking troglodytic gluttony. Check if there's clean-looking water about. If not, have a sip of the booze if there's any left to put one's mind on the mend.
Warren Drake

Despite your ravenous desire, you are forced to take things rather slow. Although the night's rest and the liquor both helped you to calm down, you are still a bit on the disheveled side. You finish off that peach and then start munching on another dried fruit of a similar appearance. It's not the most pleasant meal, but you really can't complain when you are a disenfranchised wanderer in a strange region with even stranger people.

After finishing your meal, you sit back against the wall of the den and breathe in, taking a moment to relax and cherish the peaceful environment. This may very well be one of the only instances in which you get such a perfect quietness. The standard droning of the forest, flowing with the chirping of the morning jays, the rustling of the leaves in the wind, and the small utterances of the very earth around you, proves to be mellifluous when compared to the harsh chaos of the night before.

Of course, however, fate must always step in and strike down your precious few seconds of joyous peace.
"Guarrrrrrddiiiaaaaaan!" You hear a very familiar - if not annoying - rasp outside. You hear something moving around the outside of the den to the right of you. It circles around and comes to the front entrance. Of course, you expect none other than the charming and sagacious Darzenis: the sentient reptile that continues to draw chaos to you like the gravitational pull of a planet to its inhabitants. The lizard pops his head around the front entrance and peers around for you. Of course, he manages to find you lounging in the back.

"Good! I found you! Much to talk about!"

"I usurped a bit of your authority by snapping at you and calling you a pet name, establishing myself as having some level of intamacy and influence. I needed to compensate somehow once my role was completed, so I acted formal, restablishing that you were the one making the decisions. As for those two, I dont like them. Not one word about helping the guards who risked life and limb to keep them alive, and it looks like they left them behind to focus on helping themselves. If were going to be simply waiting, then Id prefer to spend the time training myself instead of spending time with self-centered overprivlaged children."
Lirian
Artemis smirks, clearly interested by your responses. "You are just as intelligent as I had expected," he remarks, "but more.. transparent by your own will. Most people I meet with that sort of foresight are less trusting, more reserved. They hold their cards close - unless, of course, they are adversarial agents, looking to gain trust." You could interpret this as a threat, but Artemis is quick to follow up on his statement. "And then there are those who are simply honest for the purpose of honesty itself. Those people tend to be very rare and, at times, exceptional." You continue on, voicing your distrust of the Crown siblings.

"Hmm," Artemis vocalizes in a musing tone. "Members of the nobility always seem to favor theatrics. They are distant. The Crown royals, I've found, are much the same. I am referring only to the prince, however. I can't comment on the princess. I haven't interacted much with her when dealing with diplomatic affairs on Atis." He shrugs, adding, "Perhaps she will be different. Maybe she will be more of the same. Since you aren't entertained by their company, though, go ahead and train. I'll keep an eye on them." He turns away from you and starts down the same road that the Crown siblings took. You can hear him muttering to himself as he walks, but you can't discern exactly what he says; the only word you catch is "name."

"Thanks, sir, for the assistance. I am feeling better now, so if you'll excuse me, I shall leave you be, and waste no more of your time."

Afterwards, once I leave the hallucinations sight, I will immediately make my way to the nearest psychiatrist, and book for emergency services. Tell him/her that I am having vivid auditory, visual hallucinations that I can feel, and that it is urgent that I receive immediate care.
Cat Schrodinger
The "hallucination" nods to you as you steady yourself. In his strangely familiar but oddly-tuned voice, he responds, "You're quite welcome. We have all the time in the world." You're a little confused by his response, but you can't afford to confuse your mind with the appearance of this hallucination anymore. Trying to salvage whatever calm you previously had, you walk away and turn around the corner of the building. After you are sure that the hallucination can no longer see you, you book it as fast as your unconditioned body can carry you. You feel as if you have a migraine; sounds are amplified around you, and the light almost seems blinding to you.

You can't take it anymore. You fall to the ground, not being able to carry on with the overload of sensations. You feel as if the very ground beneath your feet is being swept from beneath you. You know that you're on your hands and knees now; everything else has become a blur. You can hear thumping from behind you; are those footsteps? You can't tell. That may just be the migraine taking over. You're starting to think that this might be a physical condition now. Maybe you're having some sort of stroke. Maybe your brain isn't getting enough blood. It's too late to think of that now. All of your thoughts start fading away as the present and the future blend together to form an indescribable stream of events.

You wake up.

You're afraid to open your eyes, thinking that there might be some sort of monster or another hallucination in front of you. It wouldn't surprise you, really. In fact, the world can't offer much more in the way of surprises for you. Slowly, you crack open one eyelid and find a white ceiling. You can hear the telltale report of medical systems nearby. Judging by the color of the room, the clicking and beeping of machinery, and the sterile-smelling environment, you're guessing that you're in some sort of medical center - maybe a hospital. Finally, you can hear voices. They don't seem particularly anxious or panicked, like you would expect if you were dying right about now. You test out your fingers and toes, finding that, thankfully, you've still got full control of your body. You don't feel particularly unhealthy, disregarding the dull ache you feel in your head.

Well, at the very least, you can rest easy knowing that you're under medical supervision. Perhaps the nice doctors can tell you what happened.

((Will post later--fatigue too much; see post history for context if need be. GM writing is awesome. Very inspired reading everyone. Maybe those lore-bits may be kept as links on the OP//kept together offline for the GM for posterity))
((I sincerely hope that everything is going well for you.
That reminds me: I haven't updated the Compendium in a while. Frankly, the information in the Intermission could fit very well in there. I'll update it within the next day or so. Thanks for letting me know!))

Alex slowly arose. His head had a throb to it, and he was confused at what happened. Was he knocked out? Did he fall asleep? No matter. Examine surroundings.
Alex Raman
Everything feels and looks fuzzy and awful to you. You shiver as the cold air from the open garage door flows in and takes hold of you, wrapping you in a chilly embrace. Before, you were very eager to immerse yourself in the coldest environments possible. Now, however, you could use a warm blanket or three to keep you upright. You scratch your head and look around. The light from the garage door is very limited. The sliver of sky peeking through the door gives you a hint as to the current phase of day. You wager it to be very early morning, with the pink hues of the dawn clashing with the purple and pitch-blue canvas of the sky.

The garage itself looks as dilapidated as it could be in a relatively-large town. A rusted garbage can sits in the corner opposite you, with a dent nearly as tall as the entire can. Metal shelves line the walls, empty and stripped of any sort of useful materials. In the back of the garage, an elevated platform leads to rows of cabinets. You quickly flip through most of them but also find them completely looted. There are a couple of cabinets with old locks, but you can't get them open now. A door in the back leads to the residence that neighbors the garage. Overall, the garage looks as abandoned as its neighboring house looks. However, you're not one to complain. After all, your survival may very well have been guaranteed by that garage.

You take a moment to examine yourself. You notice that your skin looks a little paler than usual. Upon inspecting your limbs, you find that you still have the barely-healing deep laceration in your leg made by your shenanigans in the jail cell. Additionally, your right arm holds a long, thin cut that also refuses to heal right now. At the very least, you are fortunate that they are not bleeding. As far as you can tell, there are no immediate threats in the surrounding area. You can hear some sort of loudspeaker communicating a message; other than that, however, you seem to have a little bit of room to breathe.

Author's Note: Nothing much to say in this note that hasn't already been said. Therefore, I will leave this very concise.

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Stay tuned,
Artemis

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: January 28, 2016, 04:01:11 am »

Eh Ah

To the inner kingdom, then. Magis civilians are what I'm looking for, after all.

Warren Drake

"You're here. Good. This holding pattern was starting to give me a headache. What have you got for me?"

Get intel from reptilian familiar.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: January 28, 2016, 06:48:09 am »

I ask the doctor's why I'm here. Afterwards, I tell them of my odd experience that brought me here.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: January 28, 2016, 07:38:29 am »

Welp, I have time to work with, might as well get to it. I step off the path and find a reasonably secluded spot with some space to work with. I start with basic blade drills, working with the bastard sword, reminding myself how to use them and learning the feel and balance of the weapon. Then from there move on to more advanced sequences, testing how much I really do remember and continuing the process of getting the rust off the skillset. after I feel comfortable with the weapon though, then I'm going to try to incorporate my ability to step between shadows into my motions, stepping from place to place and from one posture to another, making the end result sudden and unexpected movement to a theoredical opponant, with rapid changes between disconnected stances.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: January 29, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »

((Will post later--fatigue too much; see post history for context if need be. GM writing is awesome. Very inspired reading everyone. Maybe those lore-bits may be kept as links on the OP//kept together offline for the GM for posterity))
((I 'hilariously' had this on Modify Post...in a tab lost under many other tabs. Yelp! :-X Should've posted!
I say 'hilarious' because that's the common word I use for "humorous, but :'( at my expense"

Also considering the workload, apologies if I make this one...flexible for your interpretation--base it on how best you know Eleri, as I'm totally fine with it :3 The rest of the text below the bolded part is more flavor-text than anything, so you're free to cut it off if you're quoting this!))

Eleri does her best to practically make a shelter by the mouth of the cave, partly situated inside it (as far as ten feet in).

The sun was falling, and Eleri felt the all-too-familiar meaning it had for her. There was a lack of...Flynn, by her side. It wasn't seen, heard, or touched, but the feelings she had around him--around other people who accepted her, and even pushed that concept into trust, and friendship--were something so tangibly felt that she noticed she had been glancing in his general direction for the past half hour. So many questions blazed in her mind, and fatigue mixed with self-doubt was the least of those; what could she do for him after she tended to herself? It was just like arrival on the beachfront once more, albeit this time on an enclosed rock outcropping, and a bit more insect-life. She hated mosquitos, but she knew she would survive the night.

In her musings, she wondered why the cave was called Monster's Mouth, and chalked it up to how it looked from afar. But where would Flynn be standing in order for him to really see it like a monster? Come daytime, what should she say or do? Most likely checking up on Flynn or the place would help, as well as backtrack her route: Many things she didn't know were available to her, like that dilapidated manor, but just as well the dangers she only heard of in legend or book-lore. Such things and more were just fish swimming in the ocean of her thoughts. She sighed as she shivered, and as she shivered she felt a tear form.

It would be nice to not be alone and live unafraid. Eleri managed a tiny smile--she was happy most people did not have to actively think about this, and enjoy their evening doing anything else. This filled her with resolve and insight; it was these little thoughts that mattered.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 10, 2016, 07:37:45 pm »

TURN SIXTY-TWO: EXPLORERS OF THE NEW WORLD

This update comes a little bit later than I would've hoped due to an unexpected bout of sickness over the weekend that forced me to focus more on personal matters than on writing. Fortunately, though, I seem to be in better health now.

To-do still: Insert the information from Int. Three to the Compendium. I'll make sure to do that before I post the next reply.

Eh Ah

To the inner kingdom, then. Magis civilians are what I'm looking for, after all.
Eh Ah
((Mental map update to come soon. However, I don't have access to my regular data currently. Hopefully, a description here will suffice for now.))
Navigation now is easier than before, considering you've been through the first part of the kingdom before. You still see Theyin troops regularly walking around or guarding the street corners, but they don't seem to pay much attention to you. Occasionally, one or two of them will regard you as one would a trespasser, but none seem to really act against you. You wonder if the Empress might have put a word in to give you special protection from the guise of the regular troops. On the other hand, you don't really see why it would be suspicious for you to walk around - unless, of course, there is something that they are trying to hide or protect. Considering that there seemed to be a division between the Empress' forces and those of Apollo and the powers above him, there may be more forces at play than you could stand to know as a spectator.

It doesn't take you long to start searching the middle portion of the kingdom. This part is composed of multiple residential districts spread far apart across varied terrain. Near the volcano, the landscape becomes hilly and unstable; the buildings there resemble chateaus and manors more than simple houses. Closer to the river, the houses continue to be simplistic, often with only one or two stories and made in the same, rectangular, grey forms. Both portions of the kingdom blend together to form an odd combination of different styles of architecture. On the other side of the river, the terrain becomes much flatter and easier to build on. A large portion of the commercial buildings and squares are grouped there, where there is easy access to the ports and river transportation. Farther out, the landscape becomes peppered with small farms and residences.

About an hour of exploration goes by. You search high and low around the civilian portions of the kingdom, but come to the same conclusion as before: aside from the Theyin soldiers, it is entirely abandoned. Only a few domestic animals like chickens or stray cats roam about to signal that there was ever any sort of life here, besides the military occupation. There are a few, rare exceptions to this assessment: occasionally, you come across a man or woman - a civilian, by their appearance - who seems to be afflicted by the same sort of malady that incapacitated that woman from before. You don't bother taking them along with you this time, considering how the Empress already has a subject, but you keep their locations in mind in case you need to come back to them.

Warren Drake

"You're here. Good. This holding pattern was starting to give me a headache. What have you got for me?"

Get intel from reptilian familiar.
Warren Drake
Darzenis, your charming companion, continues to rasp in reply. For once, you are actually a little glad that he is here. That means that the powers on high haven't abandoned you to die yet. On the other hand, however, that probably means that you're about to be enveloped in even more supernatural shenanigans. "Trouble," Darzenis begins. "Huge trouble. I essscaped from the Sssshadowsss and went to get help from friends. Friendsss told me that citiess and foresstss and homess and everything, they were all being attacked by Ssshadowsss! It was chaoss, they sssaid. They only barely managed a defenssse. The Sshadowsss haven't re-appeared ssince yessterday. Friendss ssaid we have time, but not much.

"But I have good newss!"
Darzenis hisses at you in a cheerful manner. "Other people like you are waking up! Other Guardianss! They're coming to help uss! And you," he says as he crawls inside the den, still looking at you, "You will help uss too! The other Guardiansss are closse. Our friendsss can protect uss until you get to them, and then you can help them fight!"

I ask the doctor's why I'm here. Afterwards, I tell them of my odd experience that brought me here.
Cat Schrodinger
You groan and begin to prop yourself up on one arm. One of the doctors, a woman with grey hair and a pointed expression on her face, moves over to you and tells you to relax. You comply and ask her what you're doing at this facility. "You were found near the Edison Recreational Center, collapsed and unresponsive. You had an abnormal heart rate and, as I was told, continued to speak incoherently during the time that you were unconscious. You're at the Horizon Medical Center." You recall that name, knowing that it is a hospital not too far from the university, on the eastern side of the town. "My name is Dr. Stevens. How are you feeling?" the doctor asks you.

You tell her that your thoughts are still in disarray and that you're not entirely sure what happened, but that you do know that you might have been hallucinating at the time of exhaustion. You recount how you saw multiple versions of you stuck in time, doing the same actions over and over again, and how, when you went to take a drink at the water fountain, you were assisted in standing up by another version of yourself. You tell her that you were going to seek out help from your counselor earlier that day, but decided to spend some time at the recreational center before the counselor could see you.

"Hmm," Dr. Stevens vocalizes. She turns around and asks a question of one of the other staff members in the room. "Can one of you call Dr. Mizou at his office? Tell him that we have a priority patient for him." She picks up a folder and flips through it. Without looking at you, she begins speaking again. "We have a few psychologists and counselors on our team here. Dr. Mizou is one of them. He should be able to provide proper care for you. Is there anything you need at this time?"

Welp, I have time to work with, might as well get to it. I step off the path and find a reasonably secluded spot with some space to work with. I start with basic blade drills, working with the bastard sword, reminding myself how to use them and learning the feel and balance of the weapon. Then from there move on to more advanced sequences, testing how much I really do remember and continuing the process of getting the rust off the skillset. after I feel comfortable with the weapon though, then I'm going to try to incorporate my ability to step between shadows into my motions, stepping from place to place and from one posture to another, making the end result sudden and unexpected movement to a theoredical opponant, with rapid changes between disconnected stances.
Lirian
Not one for wasting time, you move to train while Artemis waits for the siblings to get ready. Having just bought a new blade, it would be wise for you to get accustomed to it; even though it’s relatively well-balanced in your hands, you’ll still need to take some time to get used to all of its nuances. Beginning with somewhat simple exercises, you practice different strikes, parries, feints, and disabling technique in successive order. Each time, you aim to become faster and faster with your movements, allowing your own fighting style to meld better with the cadence of the sword.

You continue this pattern for about ten minutes more, growing more confident with every attack or defense you put up. You use a tree as your target for now, treating its short and thin branches as weapons or limbs. You fall back into a balanced stance, put up a block against an attack, and step off to the right to give yourself some leverage. You repeat this and several other movements multiple times over, quickly regaining your efficiency in combat.

Now it’s time for something new to add to your arsenal. Your power of shadow-jumping could be instrumental in improving the way that you organize your fighting style. It would allow you to be even faster than before by dodging around obstacles, appearing behind opponents, and perhaps ending the fight before it even starts. You take a few deep breaths and begin with the same tree yet again, treating it as another swordsman. The leaves of the trees above you provide more than enough shade to realize your power. You focus in on a spot behind the tree itself and plunge forward. You can feel the sharp and sudden movement of your body as it passes through another dimension entirely. In the next moment, you’re behind the tree. You waste no time in attacking, delivering a heavy blow before retreating through the shadows to a different spot. You block and imaginary attack, shadow-jump again to another spot, and continue to do this, going faster and faster each time.

Eventually, you come to your limits. You’re exasperated at this point; the linked shadow-jumps are taking a toll on your stamina. Additionally, you’re feeling a lot colder now, as if the season had just changed into autumn. Your shadow-jumps are becoming a lot more inaccurate and short-distanced as you start losing focus. You decide that you’ve worked well enough for the moment on this.

Your experience with the Affinity of Sword has increased.

Artemis hasn't shown up yet to signal that the siblings are ready. You head to the town anyway, seeking him out at the medical center in the central portion of town. You see him standing outside of the center, leaning back against the front wall of the building. He sees you approaching and says, "I've made arrangements to pay for the prince and his guard to stay here until Diana Crown returns after the mission. We'll leave when-"

Artemis' statement is interrupted when the front door of the facility opens. Diana Crown emerges with a sort of satchel with her. She still wears the same clothes that she had before: a faded blue blouse with a brown waistband, a light, caramel-colored coat, and matching pants. She seems to dress in a more simplistic fashion that her brother does, as, despite his injuries, he still seemed to prefer more vibrant colors and a few distinguished symbols of his own.

Artemis walks out onto the street and motions for the two of you to follow him. "We have to leave now. If you have anything you still need to get, let me know now. Otherwise, follow me."

"All good over here," Diana replies as she exhales.

((If you choose to leave now, since that was already attempted before the Crown siblings came along, I'll post another full reply to advance you a turn.))

Eleri does her best to practically make a shelter by the mouth of the cave, partly situated inside it (as far as ten feet in).

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)
Eleri
((I love the flavor text.))
It seems so long ago since you first arrived on the island. Even though it had only been a week, the spate of major events here has put your own story in the back of your mind. Now, with distance separating you and Flynn, you can feel that all-too-familiar loneliness settling in again. Slight worries begin creeping into your conscious thoughts. Will Flynn be safe with that family? Are there already people looking for him, as he told you before? Were the predators that attacked him related to what he talked about regarding his father's project? You've never seen such a viscid, dark substance like that - especially one that disappeared so quickly.

Once Flynn is healed, where will you go? If he decides to stay or finds another place to take shelter, you won't be able to accompany him - that is, unless he moves to the wilderness. Will you stay away from civilization, now and forever? Will there be a good time to approach people again, or are you forever condemned to a life of solitude? From the way things seem, there aren't many options for you now. You stand at the mouth of the cave and peer down at the far-away town. You sigh wistfully, knowing that you might never be able to return to a normal life.

You shake those thoughts out of your head. It's pointless to worry about the future right now. You have an immediate present to look forward to. You'll sleep the night off and then check on Flynn in the morning to make sure he's okay. His welfare is at the top of your priority list right now. Besides, it's not like there's much for you to go back to at the ruins.

First thing's first: a shelter. You don't have many supplies left over, but you can scavenge dry branches from the mountainside, where plenty of pine trees provide just the right type of wood to burn for warmth and light. If you could manage it, a spread and pillow made of leaves would prove to be more comfortable than using the rocks in the cave. You spend the next hour and a half going around and collecting the supplies. You've gathered enough dry wood to keep a fire going for at least a few hours or so. Using some of the unorthodox tools you've brought along, you should be able to start a fire in no time. You've also gathered a sizable amount of leaves for bedding at the mouth of the cave.

You enter the cave, peering into the darkness. When you stop moving, you can hear a low ambient "exhalation" noise, as if the cave is constantly yawning. The air coming from the back of the cave is cool and refreshing, if not a little bit stuffy. A little ways into the cave, you set down your supplies and begin working on a fire. Within about ten minutes, you manage to get a tiny flame started. Thankfully, the wood is dry enough to continue burning on its own. With the newfound light, you can see that the cave still extends deeper into the mountain, making a sloping path down into the darkness of the earth. Several insects, like beetles or tiny spiders, shift around in the darkness and come forth, exploring your shelter. They don't harm you, however, preferring to move deeper into the cave after scurrying around the perimeter of the fire's glow.

With the bedding made, you settle down and stare at the entrance of the cave. As the light continues to wane, you sigh, appreciating the small moments of comfort that you create.

((I'm leaving this open so that you can do an action or something if you wish before Eleri sleeps. Just let me know and I'll update it in the next reply I do [hopefully a day or two from now].))

Author's Note: I've managed to free up a lot more time lately, so if turns can be inputted early, I can respond within a day or two. Maybe even a few hours, if I find myself really lucky. I appreciate your responses!

Thank you and have a wonderful week,
Artemis
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 07:39:24 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 10, 2016, 07:44:06 pm »

No Delay Needed
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 10, 2016, 09:00:49 pm »

((I've lost a little bit of interest in this game as of late, but that's only due to one thing: I have no idea what the literal shit is happening any more. WHAT IS HAPPENING? I'll probably get back into it soon.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:03 pm »

No Delay Needed
Lirian
The three of you start off to the south. "I would have used a car to get here and back faster," Artemis says as you walk, "but I am on a rather strict schedule right now. My associates are residing in a town to the south and, in the early morning, we'll all be departing to the north." He looks up at the clear sky and watches the moons as they slowly crawl across the blanket of stars and space. At this point, you're climbing out of the valley and moving through the heavy forests to the south. Artemis seems to be moving more to the southeast, traveling away from the river you followed to the town. "They are probably loading the vehicles to move right now," he remarks.

Diana walks next to him and engages in conversation with him. "If you don't mind me asking, Lord Dimikaelo, what were you doing here?" Artemis doesn't answer immediately; instead, he seems to spare a quick glance behind him, nearly looking at you, before turning his head and continuing to walk forward.

"Immediately, I was responding to a call from Dr. Allen Kito, in Perith. However, my larger purpose here is to, first, ensure the protection of this county, and, second, to discuss military matters up north. That was what I was going to proceed with immediately after meeting with Dr. Kito, but my attention was diverted." He sighs and continues, saying, "Luckily, however, I still seem to be on time for the upcoming meeting."

Diana and Artemis continue in this way. Diana shoots questions at him occasionally, and he sometimes chooses to respond or to remain quiet. You trail behind, keeping aware of anything that might be suspicious. As far as you can tell, your group is safe. Besides a few animals and birds going about their night, nothing manages to catch your attention.

It takes your group about half an hour of brisk walking to arrive at the town. The town, identified by Artemis as the town of Hersten, appears to be about one and a half times the size Perith and less secluded. You can see the occasional car coming in and out of the town's limits. The buildings appear to be more modern than those of Perith (barring the Kito complex); you'd almost call this a city in its own right. Most of the buildings are one to two stories, though occasionally you'll see a three story residence. There appear to be a couple of factories on the far side of the town, and in front of those factories, a wide span of shops and some markets sprawls out. You can see lights on across the town, suggesting that Hersten has more of a night-life than Perith has.

Artemis walks out of the diminishing treeline and turns his head to speak to the two of you while walking. "This is where we sojourn for what's left of the night. My associates already arranged for a hotel for the night. We'll be leaving in an hour or so, but you're welcome to stay in one of the rooms for now, if that's what you wish." He points to a building near the northwestern end of the town, indicating the three-story structure as the hotel. Out in front of it, you see headlights and people moving around.

Your group arrives at the front of the hotel. There, you see that there is at least a squad or more of soldiers located around the perimeter. They all wear the same style of uniform: various shades of green in splinter pattern camouflage, fatigues, helmets, and body vests. Most of them seem to carry the same type of long, wooden-body rifle. Based on what you've seen before about the rifles used by the Jaunatne Coalition, you believe that they are using semi-automatic rifles, loaded most likely by charger clips ((for reference, the real-life FN-49 is probably the closest analog to these rifles)). A select few of them also carry semi-automatic pistols. You can't identify any other weapons carried visibly by any of the soldiers, excluding the rifles and the pistols for a few of them. Judging by the flag patches on their shoulders, they're Jaunatne Coalition soldiers. Most of them seem to be aware of changes in their surroundings, but are not actively seeking anything out. They seem to be serving as guards for the other soldiers that are loading bags, boxes, and packages onto the back of trucks. Artemis greets one of the guards and shows some sort of card - presumably for identification - to him. The guard nods and lets him through. "These two are acquaintances of mine," he says to the guard. "They're to be protected under my watch." The guard responds with a "yes sir" and moves over to one of the trucks.

"The both of you are allowed rooms 24 and 25 in the hotel," he explains. "If you've no other business, let me know. My car is at the front. For now, I have to discuss some things with my associates." He walks off to the front of the convoy and moves out of your line of sight.

((I've lost a little bit of interest in this game as of late, but that's only due to one thing: I have no idea what the literal shit is happening any more. WHAT IS HAPPENING? I'll probably get back into it soon.))
No worries, I understand. And, by the way, you are always welcome to ask questions like "what the hell is going on here?" I realize that my writing style and the game's plot are not the easiest to follow due to the meandering nature of it, as the characters and places and events branch out over time. So, yes, please don't hesitate to ask stuff like that.

Just for clarification before I fill you in, are you asking specifically about your character and what they've been doing, or what pretty much everyone's been doing?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:09:09 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: February 11, 2016, 12:05:31 am »

((What weapon do they (mostly) carry?))

I go to Artemis's car, get in a back passenger seat, and sleep.

((I am assuming it's nearly morning. Lirian is shifting her sleep schedule to a mostly-nocturnal one.))
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 08:28:16 pm by Lenglon »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:34 am »

Eh Ah

Consider the way each of the unresponsive individuals is facing. Is it in a particular direction shared by them all, as if they were looking at something in particular? Can I tell?

Perhaps approach an Imperial patrol and offer an introduction, then ask more about the city. They would probably be in the know about these strange people.

Warren Drake

"Shadows. Uh-huh. So... these other guys, they're close by? I already met a weird possibly magical girl whose home this is, but I take it she's not who I'm looking for."

Warren rubs his temples contemplatively.

"Who are the others? Are they people I will regret meeting?" He pauses. "Hell, are they actual people? Actually, maybe tell me on the way. I get the feeling I won't like your answers in any case, so might as well get moving now."

Move out if reptilian familiar wants to. Maybe introduce him to the girl if she's around. Otherwise maybe leave a note that I'm off to do destiny shenanigans and thanking her for the fruit.

Also stuff face with as much dried fruit as possible before leaving.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: February 11, 2016, 05:00:24 am »

((Is this still accepting players? I've a mind to make a character for this if so. Not quite sure what, but it involves ... teeth. Lots of teeth.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: February 11, 2016, 05:09:42 am »

((Is this still accepting players? I've a mind to make a character for this if so. Not quite sure what, but it involves ... teeth. Lots of teeth.))

((Guardian of Chaos and Assuredly Many Teeth. Or Strength and Quite A Lot Of Teeth. Depends on what sorts of teeth you want to go for.

People drop in every now and then, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem to get in. Might be some lore specifics you need to abide by, though.))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: February 11, 2016, 05:13:57 am »

((I'm thinking more smiles. Not quite sure why, the cohesive whole of a character I can sink my mind into hasn't emerged from the primordial slime of my subconscious yet, only the vague outline pressing against the surface.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: February 11, 2016, 04:28:05 pm »

((What am I doing? I think I was killing guards. Was I killing guards? Or was I talking to guards. Or the army. Or was I.... (Continues prattling on for hours on end)))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 76