Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why so damn many possesed moods?  (Read 2628 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Why so damn many possesed moods?
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:30:10 am »

Out of my last few successful forts, altogether, I had a total of about 20 moods.  13 of these were possessed moods, which means no skill increase, of course.  Why so damned many?  Are possessions weighted to occur more frequently?  Does anyone else experience this?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Why so damn many possesed moods?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:55:54 am »

Sadly enough I also experienced this, probably bad luck :S

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:05:20 pm »

It's happened to me before. The type of mood they get seems random in my experience.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »

Yeah, the type of mood is random. Possessed moods have been rather frequent in my fort.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:02:36 pm »

I've got the impression that possession happens only to those who don't have moodable professions enabled. Is there any actual correlation?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Dozus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:17:04 pm »

I've got the impression that possession happens only to those who don't have moodable professions enabled. Is there any actual correlation?
I've had a Competent Metalsmith get possessed. Made a lovely billon buckler, but he remained merely competent afterward.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:26:10 pm »

Moods can happen to a dwarf with any skill level, even ones who are already legendary. It's only possessions that don't give legendary skill.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 02:26:22 pm »

Maybe you built on an ancient goblin burial ground... have you encountered any strange skeletons when mining? any rocks covered in carved runes? a fort identical to yours filled with identical dwarves who all have green hair?

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »

I blame the elves.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:52 pm »

It would be interesting to collect some stats on this. I always assumed fey moods, secretive moods, and possessions were weighted equally (and the other two types of moods are negligible unless you actively try for them), but there's a less than 1% chance you'd actually get 13 possessions out of 20+ moods. Maybe you are the <1%, but maybe possessions really are more common.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 08:25:24 pm »

It's random.

Some stats would be helpful though, as 13/20 possessions is much more likely to be noted than 13/20 fey moods or 13/20 secretive moods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:33 pm »

A bit of code tracing suggests that it is a equally random choice between fey, secretive, or possessed moods unless the dwarf had low (zero, I think) happiness, in which case it appears to be an equal choice between macabre and fell. Since that low happiness also implies tantrums and insanity, macabre and fell moods are likely to only appear during a tantrum spiral in your fort.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 03:35:53 am »

It's been a while since I played but I recall getting mostly secretive moods.

Some douchebag withdraws from society and then I have to take time out of my day to wait until he/she is in the workshop making these stupid little sketches that I have to interpret.
I remember things like that.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:58 am »

Tha nks for the replies, everyone!  I blame the elves, too:)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 11:23:01 pm »

I blame the RNG. Why? Because the RNG hates you, that's why!

As Sutremaine said, it is just an observation. Things like that will always happen (always as in it will happen sometime, not all the time or sometimes never), just by virtue of how randomness works.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.
Pages: [1] 2