Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Neustra Veritas: Betrayal and Survival (7/4)  (Read 21670 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Neustra Veritas: Betrayal and Survival (7/4)
« Reply #345 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:57 pm »

We did have tails; we evolved away from that, so presumably there's a good reason we don't anymore. Why would making it fluffy make it better for balance as opposed to a lizard tail? I honestly don't see why it would.
1. We don't have tails because apes don't have tails. I'd have to do some research on why exactly that is, but that would be a bit more effort than I'm willing to go to to answer a minor rhetorical question. Nevertheless, I imagine that tails might have been advantageous if they had been "available".
2. Well, fluffy no, but a thick lizard tail has a lot fewer options than a thinner one. Familiar with spider monkeys?

You just want to play a cat girl, don't you.
Don't be absurd. There's an approximately equal chance he wants to play a cat-boy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:11 pm »

Adding animal ears? No thanks. I'm pretty sure you could increase hearing without becoming a furry.

We did have tails; we evolved away from that, so presumably there's a good reason we don't anymore. Why would making it fluffy make it better for balance as opposed to a lizard tail? I honestly don't see why it would.

You just want to play a cat girl, don't you.

---

The whole everything synthesised by machines out of matter reminds me of supreme commander with it's too resources - energy and mass, where you could recycle destoryed battle machines, trees, and rocks, for different amoutns of mass and energy.

RTS and FPS elements can combine well (e.g. Natural Selection 1/2) though typically it's one player has the RTS and all others have the FPS. Would your's be different?

Wolf and male actually, also what do you have against furries? I want a fluffy tail cause fluffy tails are awesome, I like the aesthetics of the ears and tail anyways.

Well I would like to put creation points into altering my character biologically (Such as wolf/cat ears instead of human ears for hearing/awareness bonuses as well as appearance) Or retractable claws (for melee and climbing) Or a tail (probably fluffy for agility/balance and stuff), or eye shine (for better night vision).

Would rather play as a chimeric (bio altered) rather then a technon (standard machine user/machine augmented). More fun for me that way.

The setting for this specific game doesn't allow that; the overarching military and the general consensus (at least as far as the reporting of such is concerned) is pure human: no cyborgization unless necessary, no mutations at all (obviously some stuff occurs; it is a universe after all, but nothing is allowed into the military.)  If we ran the other game idea I had, that's possible, as the setting for that is outright rebellion, so there's no real limit on character creation, other than the amount of work I have to put in to consider the options.
I read through the thread a while ago and you appeared to allow a civilian character to be dropped onto the planet (correct me if I'm wrong) So I assumed you would be fine with a civilian character with this kind of alteration, If it is possible then I would appreciate it, if not then I can think of a few mechanus (non implanted but hepatic interface enabled mechanical augments) mods that would basically be the same just within the military allowed stuff bounds.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 25, 2014, 05:38:22 pm »

I'm not sure how you could convince the military that furry ears and tail would be helpful for combat, or even not harmful. For starters, it would screw up most if not all uniforms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 25, 2014, 06:36:44 pm »

I'm not sure how you could convince the military that furry ears and tail would be helpful for combat, or even not harmful. For starters, it would screw up most if not all uniforms.

I'm thinking more mechanical hepatics if it has to be mechanical (meaning metal tail w/no fluff and same with ears), they could be attached to a helmet or body armor and function as a hepatic system. Ears and tail could have various integrated systems (radar, cameras, ultrasound, various other things) and tools. Perhaps even a partly functional servitor in the tail for construction and stuff.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 25, 2014, 06:40:09 pm »

Are those really:
A. needed?
B. the best designs for the tools?
C. arguments which in any way address the issues I brought up?

Also, "servitor"?
Sig

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 25, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »

Servitor, those lil robots you guys used for construction, perfectly possible to fit part of one into a tool suite.

Does it matter if they are needed? Armor and guns aren't technically needed.

Do they need to be the best design for the tools? We use plenty of things that are ineptly designed (phone touchscreen typing for example) the idea behind them is a hands free integrated sensor and tool suite, they don't need to be the best design.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 25, 2014, 07:05:08 pm »

A touchscreen is useful because it can accept a wide range of motion not possible with just a keyboard. It can also display, meaning total surface area is smaller as no separate areas for keyboard and screen are needed. For small devices, a touchscreen is certainly a powerful option.

All that stuff you describe  would be much more effect in a chest rig, for example, or a backpack - the weight distribution is much better than a rod sticking out from the centre of mass. A chest rig would allow easier access and be less bulky. You can sit down with a chest rig, maybe not so much with a tail.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:01 pm »

Servitor, those lil robots you guys used for construction, perfectly possible to fit part of one into a tool suite.
Carl could barely lift and throw them, and he has both above-average strength and an exoskeleton. I don't think you could get a little tail to hold one, certainly not without you falling over backwards.

...Yes. Yes they are.
And see below for the rest of the answer.

Do they need to be the best design for the tools? We use plenty of things that are ineptly designed (phone touchscreen typing for example) the idea behind them is a hands free integrated sensor and tool suite, they don't need to be the best design.
The "hands-free integrated sensor and tool suite" is why they are the best design.
And yes, it does need to be the best design. IRL, you're not going to see anyone wasting money for no reason...and the military puts precisely zero emphasis on aesthetics, or really much except efficiency, effectiveness, and ethics.
Sig

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 25, 2014, 09:20:20 pm »

Carl could barely lift and throw them, and he has both above-average strength and an exoskeleton. I don't think you could get a little tail to hold one, certainly not without you falling over backwards.

...Yes. Yes they are.
And see below for the rest of the answer.

The "hands-free integrated sensor and tool suite" is why they are the best design.
And yes, it does need to be the best design. IRL, you're not going to see anyone wasting money for no reason...and the military puts precisely zero emphasis on aesthetics, or really much except efficiency, effectiveness, and ethics.

I said a part of one, not a fully functional one, just a small section, enough to do minor tiny constructions.

Yes, you will see the military wasting money on that kind of stuff, as well as companies. The military tried using spy cats, spent several million dollars on it and then abandoned the project after the first test run cat got run over.
The military is building rocks with microphones in them, tell me that isn't aesthetics there.
Corporations are building Curved smartphones, this will reduce the efficiency of the phone in pretty much every way.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 25, 2014, 10:07:32 pm »

For all those things you have to ask why

Why cats with microphones? Because cats are not typically an object of suspicion.

Same goes for the rocks: they aren't designed as rocks because they think that'll be cool, they're designed as rocks to fufil a particular niche.

I imagine there's reasons for the curved smartphone screen as well. With a quick google search, it:
- makes them more comfortable to hold and use
- glare is reduced
- fits in pocket better

so there are reaasons for that, as well. All these things have benefits immediately obvious. A tail or robotic wolf ears do not compared to alternatives.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:08 pm »

Yes, you will see the military wasting money on that kind of stuff, as well as companies. The military tried using spy cats, spent several million dollars on it and then abandoned the project after the first test run cat got run over.
And then they stopped. When you think a bit about it, cats are damn good spies...but when that practical consideration came up, they scrapped the concept.

The military is building rocks with microphones in them, tell me that isn't aesthetics there.
It isn't. It's camouflage.

Corporations are building Curved smartphones, this will reduce the efficiency of the phone in pretty much every way.
Not really, as Gil mentioned. But even if it were so...if it will improve sales, it will be done, because really, that's what matters for a corporation.
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:44 pm »

Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~Nya~
~Uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~
DesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesuDesu

What a fascinating game.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 25, 2014, 10:42:35 pm »

The game is on hold, and we are technically discussing game-related stuff. One guy wanted this stuff, we explained why it wouldn't be logical for him to have it, and it went from there.
Sig

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 25, 2014, 10:44:07 pm »

The game is on hold, and we are technically discussing game-related stuff. One guy wanted this stuff, we explained why it wouldn't be logical for him to have it, and it went from there.

I tried keeping up with it, but then it started divulging into randomized cat noises and I couldn't decipher anything.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 25, 2014, 10:50:37 pm »

Mm-hm. Just keep thinking you're amusing/meaningful/whatever.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27