Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: IronFist  (Read 6658 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: IronFist
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 12:26:21 am »

Good question.  If Nidilap doesn't respond by tomorrow, I move that Urist McVoyager take up the fort from where I left off; we can move Nidilap down the list until s/he is ready and able to play through the turn.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:20 am »

If you call it by tomorrow night, I might have my first update some time Thursday morning.

Otherwise, we'll have to play it by ear.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2013, 08:05:20 am »

Has everyone else but WoobMonkey quit, or something?

Urist McAxedwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2013, 08:28:16 am »

I'm still lurking but I was a bit late for the party...

Nidilap

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh boy a Swooooord!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2013, 10:44:42 am »

I say skip me. I messed up BAD.

Fair warning, a goblin siege comes late spring after a year of the save I used.
Nidilap likes Adamantine, Bituminous Coal, Garnets, Cats for their aloofness, Dwarves for their stupidity, and Swords for their Spikes and edges. When possible, he prefers to eat pizza, ramen noodles, and sushi. He absolutely detests elves and spiders. He needs MTN DEW to get through the working day.

A medium- sized creature prone to great ambition, but only when he feels like it.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2013, 11:43:16 am »

im still here its just been a wile since there has been anything worth responding to :D
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:31 pm »

How'd you mess up?  :P

Grabbing the save now, I will take a look and see what's what.

Is it permissible to mod the game a bit if I see the need? I know a way to get children to do work, if we have enough to matter.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:22:32 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2013, 10:41:36 pm »

We have 38 people. 14 of them children.

My first order was to build a drawbridge in the trash room, but people are still moving stuff. I've done some exploration of the below-ground areas, but not much. I'll do actual story updates later on when I'm not sleepy.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2013, 10:48:47 pm »

And I'm waiting on that answer about modding before I do much. Even if it's a no I'll play on, but I wanna do any modding before Spring arrives so I can get everything fixed and ready for possible invasions. The sooner the better.

Also, anyone mind if I kill off that necromancer and memorial slab it?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2013, 06:14:41 am »

Personally, I vote against modding, especially the cheaty DT option of making children work.  But it's hardly gonna ruin my day if everyone else thinks otherwise.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2013, 09:46:23 am »

Well, it's not really cheating . . .

In real life, through most of history children were required to labor. Until high literacy rates and more modern methods of teaching, most people were apprenticed to a field as children, and were expected to just grow up doing what they were taught.

Hell, when the Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock were falling to mass sickness, the kids took up the adults' labors to keep the place going.

I don't know if Toady One's planning on creating that option in the future, but all I'd really be doing was restoring part of reality's balance to a game that's endeavoring to be realistic. I respect that you view it as cheating, considering the methods required, and I know it would involve a bit of maintenance on the parts of future overseers. I wouldn't be using DT, I'd be going in and adding a few tags to the Dwarven race, which would turn those labors on in every migrant.

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2013, 12:03:57 pm »

um i dont think we need modding and please dont kill the Necro i need it for !!SCIENCE!!
Oop's Wrong Lever!

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2013, 12:46:47 pm »

Well, it's not really cheating . . .

<snip>

Even without modding the raws, there are labours that children take up automatically - harvesting plants and deconstructing walls come to mind immediately.

As long as you're modding to make DF match our shared human history, be sure to mod out: kobolds, goblins, elves, dwarfs, dragons, all types of mushroom trees, forgotten beasts, dragons, cyclopses, ettins, vampires, were-beasts....  you get my point.

As it says on the main page, Dwarf Fortress is a fantasy game.  There may be plenty of reasons to mod in child labour; historical accuracy, however, strikes me as an invalid one.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2013, 11:07:22 pm »

The leader has already spoken, subject is dropped. Moving on.

I'll play tomorrow after work.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:29 am »

I didn't play Sunday, but I've get the next couple of days off, so I'll play what I can tomorrow and Thursday. I'll do write ups after each session.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8