Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39

Author Topic: «*MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches*» - Unofficial release  (Read 73243 times)

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: «☼MASTERWORK-DF - Studded With Patches☼» - Unofficial release
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2013, 01:15:58 pm »

Just a quick question:

Why is it that when I use Meph's original settings program I don't get get 'silty clay' but when I use the new settings program, I do?

Shouldn't all of the "Standardization" settings on the "Misc. Features" tab be checked by default, as those changes were part of the original intent of the Masterwork changes.
Give a dwarf a fish, you feed him for a season.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »

Rejoice! Boozebelly logs are no more, and Phoebus now doesn't have ridiculously more grasses than any other tileset.

Also, there's a new settings program, courtesy of splinterz. I've been told it has improved Windows XP compatibility, and I can personally attest to the 'blue' skin being very fast. It still takes a little time if you use the settings program itself to change themes, but you can manually edit the Dwarf Fortress/Masterwork.settings file and flip the theme to 'BLUE' before starting.

Shouldn't all of the "Standardization" settings on the "Misc. Features" tab be checked by default, as those changes were part of the original intent of the Masterwork changes.

I'm going to look at splinterz and/or Meph for this one; I just take the updates as they're given to me. I'm totally happy to flip them all to 'on'. I expect most players won't change the defaults, so as long as they're set to something sensible, I'm happy.

~ T

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2013, 01:43:25 pm »

Just a quick question:

Why is it that when I use Meph's original settings program I don't get get 'silty clay' but when I use the new settings program, I do?

silty clay is toggled via the simple soils button, are you reporting a bug that it's not working, or are you requesting that the option be enabled by default?

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2013, 02:11:46 pm »

I'm saying that all of the options under "Standardization" were enabled by default in Meph's version of the setting.exe file.

I think that they should be enabled by default again, since the mod was designed to be used with Simple Trees, Simple Soil, etc. enabled.

Having them off by default, can confuse new users of the mod.
Give a dwarf a Fishpond, couple of buckets, build a Fishery, and enable Fishfarming labor; you feed him for a lifetime. (And get someone to clean and prep the fish)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2013, 03:05:00 pm »

To do the default settings:

Simple trees
Simple gems
Simple soil
Simple stone
Simple pets

These must be toggled. The rest is fine, with the exception of the table in the invader section... it should be 0 for all, but some have 1 in it. The invader skill drop down, should be all on 0, but I know that the raws have not been fitted to this system completely.

Splinterz: Amazing work, I tested the new tab control and scheme on XP, no problems with the blue theme. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:39 pm »

Unified branch, Windows 7:

- Unable to enter values into any text box, particularly Population and Child/Baby Cap. I can change Population by clicking the numericUpDown control, but not keyboard.
- No flicker when changing tabs. AWESOME!

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:13 pm »

To do the default settings:

Simple trees
Simple gems
Simple soil
Simple stone
Simple pets

Done!

The rest is fine, with the exception of the table in the invader section... it should be 0 for all, but some have 1 in it. The invader skill drop down, should be all on 0

Also done!

but I know that the raws have not been fitted to this system completely.

I think, or at least seriously hope, they have. While I didn't go through all the changes in fine detail after changing the config, it looks like it's doing the right thing. :)

Splinterz: Amazing work, I tested the new tab control and scheme on XP, no problems with the blue theme. :)

I agree, splinterz is amazing!:D

Although when you say there's no problem with the blue theme, does that mean there is a problem with the default theme?  (I've changed the default to 'BLUE' just in case, since I suspect it will solve all the problems people have been reporting.)

~ T

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »

It has a little bit of waiting time till the tab builds itself if you dont use the blue scheme. Its because of the transparency. I had the same problem when I tried this myself on the GUI, but I thought it was just me having no idea what I am doing. Turns out its XP that cant handle it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2013, 11:27:46 pm »

Today's work was spent updating the orc manual, which had missing screenshots, and also completely failed to mention the steamfoundry.

* Updated orc core workshop docs
* General copyediting and corrections

Billy Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • Baywatch Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2013, 05:02:16 am »

I've been goofing around with the leather values to try and come up with a more reasonable progression of values.  Here's what I have.

namevalue
leather15
fur15
suede5
tough leather20
studded leather25
lamellar leather55
chitinplate30
rigid chitinplate60
shellplate30
rigid shellplate60
scaleplate30
rigid scaleplate60
nether leather75
dragon scale75

Its tough when some of the materials end up being metal grade.

Let me know what you think.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #295 on: December 23, 2013, 05:22:42 am »

It has a little bit of waiting time till the tab builds itself if you dont use the blue scheme. Its because of the transparency. I had the same problem when I tried this myself on the GUI, but I thought it was just me having no idea what I am doing. Turns out its XP that cant handle it.

yeah it's very finicky. the default controls also have problems with background images as well. the 'blue' theme added is essentially 'compatibility' mode for wine in linux and windows xp. granted it's always going to render slower with any transparent/semi-transparent controls, but i didn't find it noticeable on windows 7/8/vista when testing. i've got one other idea i'm going to try to give the transparent effect, and then i think i'll give up on it.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #296 on: December 23, 2013, 06:54:21 am »

ok, if anyone wants to test some additional performance tweaks for windows xp and/or wine, please try the executable from here:

https://github.com/splintermind/masterwork-dwarf-fortress-alt

to have all the proper colors, you should also replace the ribbon dll in the MasterworkDwarfFortress folder.

Note: this mostly applies to the default theme (with transparencies)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:59:40 am by splinterz »

There Is No Vic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 23, 2013, 11:15:36 am »

Trying to open DFInit:

Component 'TABCTL323.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 23, 2013, 11:18:06 am »

I've been goofing around with the leather values to try and come up with a more reasonable progression of values.  Here's what I have.

Hmm, let's see how these compare to their metal equivalents. From the manual:

Leather = Leather
Tough Leather = Copper
Studded Leather = Scaleplate = Shellplate = Chitinplate = Bronze
Lamellar Leather = Rigid Chitin¹ = Rigid Scale² = Iron
Rigid Shellplate = Iron++
Nether leather³ = Dragon scale = Steel

¹ Rigid Chitin is iron grade, but very light, and so should be worth more
² Rigid Scale is iron grade, but fireproof, and so should be worth a tiny bit more.
³ Nether leather has a fixed temp, making it slightly more valuable than dragon scale.

Copper has a material value of 2, and when made into bars would be worth 2×5 = 10. However I believe it requires only a *single* piece of leather to make armour (which would require 3 bars), giving tough leather an equivalent value of 30. However it also takes a single piece to make a leather helm (would would only require 1 bar). So I like your in-between value of 20.

If we're using metal equivalent material value × 10 to figure out the leather equivalent, then this would put studded leather, scaleplate, shellplate and chitinplate at 40 (based on bronze = 4)
Lamellar, rigid chitin, and rigid scaleplate would be 80 (based on iron = 8 ). Rigid chitin and scaleplate may be worth more, since they're light and fireproof respectively. I value lightness over fireproof, so perhaps 90 for rigid scale, 100 for rigid chitin.

Rigid Shellplate would be worth 120 if we model it on the value of rusty steel (12). However given that rusty steel is apparently 80% as good as regular steel, it may be undervalued in the raws. Giving Rigid Scaleplate a value of 160 would put it mid-way between iron and steel in value. (The manual notes it's heavy, but I don't know if it's heavier than its metal counterparts)

Nether leather and dragon scale are apparently steel grade, light, and cool. They should be worth *at least* 240 (based upon steel), but probably more since they're both light *and* fixed-temp, so I'd suggest 360.

Of course, all of these values are great in terms of figuring out how much it's worth compared to metal bars, but there's also the question of whether we'll see crazily-expensive items once crafted. Socks have a x6 multiplier, so normally a 'metal' sock would be worth just slightly more than a bar of the same material. However if leather gets multiplied the same way, then a dragonscale sock would be worth 1800☼, whereas a steel sock only 144. 'Armor' has a multiplier of 21, so a 'steel armor' would be 504, but a dragonscale armor 6300. That's high, but since dragonscale is about 1/5th the weight of steel, it doesn't feel unreasonable. This does put masterwork dragonscale armour into artefact-level value ranges, but a masterwork dragonscale armour sure *sounds* like an artefact to me!

One could argue the values I've suggested could be halved, but I wouldn't be inclined to make them much lower than that.

Just as an aside, I would *love* to rename 'Rigid Shellplate' to 'Hardened Shellplate', so all the 'rigid' items have the same qualities. One could even put forward an argument to rename 'lamellar leather' to 'rigid leather'.

TL;DR: The new leathers should be worth a lot more.

Urist McTeellox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 23, 2013, 11:23:48 am »

Trying to open DFInit:

Component 'TABCTL323.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

I've never used DFInit, but wine tells me it depends upon the Visual Basic 6 run-time, which it looks like you can download from here.

If it still has problems after you've installed that, let me know. However this wouldn't be from anything we've done in SWP; none of us have touched DFInit.

~ T
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 39