Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raising Livestock  (Read 980 times)

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raising Livestock
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:34:56 pm »

Okay, I'm trying to find out how long it takes a Water Buffalo to grow into an adult, but I'm not great at interpreting the raws, Could someone who, either knows the age where they grow into adults, or could instruct me on the proper raw info I need to look for I would be very appreciative. Thank You.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
Re: Raising Livestock
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:39:13 pm »

that would be the child tag.

it looks like this: [CHILD:1]

this tag says this animal will grow into adulthood one year after its birth

[CHILD:3]

this means the animal will be adult three years after it's born
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:59:39 pm »

Gracias! ;D
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:37 pm »

And "adult" here means the age at which their name changes to the adult one, ans they can be trained and can breed.

To check when they're fully grown, you need to check the size (or is it bodysize?) tag, the exact syntax of which I can't remember, but basically it's initial age (0 for the first entry) and size, and another age and size. Animals grow linearly between these two values; for different growth rates at different ages, multiple tags can be set. Most domestics like sheep, dogs etc are fully grown at 2 years.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:22:12 pm »

Note that some animals are larger than others of the same species in their description, which can actually result in more meat, or more capable war animals in the case of those.

And yes with selective butchering and a lot of time you can make it so that only the largest grow to adulthood to breed, and create an entire livestock operation around larger than average animals.

(or dwarves if you are particularly patient and insane)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:24:29 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:04:43 pm »

Note that some animals are larger than others of the same species in their description, which can actually result in more meat, or more capable war animals in the case of those.

And yes with selective butchering and a lot of time you can make it so that only the largest grow to adulthood to breed, and create an entire livestock operation around larger than average animals.

(or dwarves if you are particularly patient and insane)
There are actual genetics? hmm... I need to be a little more selective with which animals I slaughter then...

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:08:31 pm »

Note that there's currently a bug that prevents most creatures born in your fort from growing after birth. They'll mature into adults, just never get any larger. For most animals, they'll still be large enough to give you meat/bones/etc when butchered, so raising livestock is still valuable even with the bug. This can really hinder the effectiveness of any war animals, though.

This bug is fixed in the LNP and some other mods. If you're playing vanilla and want to partially fix it yourself for your desired livestock animal, you can edit a creature's raws to make its birth size the same as its vanilla adult size.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 04:04:38 pm »

There are actual genetics? hmm... I need to be a little more selective with which animals I slaughter then...

oh yes. I did some tests on this with rabbits.
I embarked with 10 bunnies. male and female. then i checked their traits and ended up terminating one, keeping 9. these 9 were unique enough for me to trace their genes via skin and eye-color.

what I found was that they impregnate eachother regardless of location. (through grates, doors, pens, walls...) (i didn't try across z-levels but I assume it's the same) but that's been researched before me and confirmed so it's old news ... but what was news to me was that Female specimen 5 was impregnated by male specimen 4, even though he was on the other side of the map and she had male specimen 2 right next to her. They were placed in the same pen because I wanted their offspring.

This means that, save for having only 1 male (and avoiding interference from wildlife and merchants) there is no way to control who mates with who.

A tiny, skinny, good-for-nothing male can instantly inseminate every single female in the herd regardless of his location and in spite of your best attempts to breed good meat-yielding livestock.

I imagine the best way to go about it is this:
  Kill all weak males at birth.
  Place all weak females in a special pasture, butcher them as they reach adulthood.
  Only keep strong animals.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.