Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caving In the World  (Read 1788 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Caving In the World
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »

Have you checked to see if there are any spires on your embark? What will you do with them if there are?

I haven't. It depends on whether or not I need candy, and how high the spires are. If they spike up into a cavern layer, then it might make sense to collapse around them. I can definitely do that. As I said, the top of the magma sea is my goal for now.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:34 pm »

Hope you don't have a river/stream, because won't it just eventually fill up the giant hole?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 03:56:44 pm »

Those candy spires should be fixed a long while ago and if you do have them, that could mean that the generated world is corrupted.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 05:36:49 pm »

A migrant wave has brought thirty four new faces to the fortress of Hameskull. Unfortunately, sixteen of those are children. Still, though, I can't really complain; the hauling work will go much faster now, even if I have to pull some miners out to excavate some new living spaces. I'm not entirely sure if booze production will keep up - the farms have been barely keeping everyone watered even with only twenty dwarves, so I'm understandably worried.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I may have to pierce the first cavern layer for water. I can get a well and a cistern filled without much risk of invasion from forgotten beasts or giant toads. The real problem is that I don't want five million forgotten beasts showing up before I'm ready to open the caverns and drain the lakes.

An elven caravan arrived at the end of the second spring.

Checking the civ page informs me that we also have (at best) some snatchers hanging out on the lip of the (soon to be) crater as well, so I'm not lowering the bridge any time soon. Any migrants that show up will have to deal with mad elves and goblins; !!SCIENCE!! waits for no one.

Uzol, one of our legendary miners, just went into a fey mood, grabbed one stone, and went to work. She's thirsty because of the booze situation - I hope she doesn't dehydrate to death. Another legendary mason would be worth having. ...ah, good, a rock salt armor stand!

I can add that to my collection of useless shit: rock salt grate, acacia animal trap. At least I have a legendary carpenter and two legend masons.

My concerns about booze have proved to be completely unfounded, thank Armok. I think I checked the stocks at the wrong moment or something. My brewer is keeping up and the farms are doing just fine, so that's not an issue any longer.

The elves have left. I don't know (and don't care) whether the goblins have left. I'm sitting at a comfortable population of thirty-seven adult working dwarves and eighteen children, so opening up the outer barrier isn't a priority, even for a human or dwarven caravan. The mountainhome can go screw itself for all I care; as soon as I finish the first collapse, I can start work on an entrance that will survive future collapses. I think a 100-z-level staircase to the lip of a giant crater sounds pretty badass.

How my dwarves manage to do this without the wine tasting horrible is beyond me:

And more migrants have arrived. I'll lower the drawbridge just this once. If I die to a goblin ambush, I swear to Armok I'll... well, I dunno. We'll see. ...twenty-one more migrants; ten of them were children.

Spores! I swear... I may just let all the children die in the first collapse. That seems like a good option to me. They won't be useful for years anyway. Their parents, on the other hand, have just handed me eleven more haulers on a silver platter.

The first collapse will probably take place within the next four or five months. (There's still a lot of hauling to do.)

In other news, some random dwarf has been elected mayor.

I expect to see unfulfillable mandates for short swords and gauntlets soon. (A metal industry is the last thing on my mind.) She'll just have to deal with it. One unhappy mayor is unlikely to cause a fully fledged tantrum spiral. The worst she could do would be to pull the support lever before all the dwarves are underground, or pull the drawbridge lever when a siege was going on, and I can use a burrow restriction to stop her from doing that if I need to. She won't even start fist fights if I restrict her job options to her own room.

Did I say her own room? Sorry, I meant her own tiny corner of the fortress. I have no individual rooms yet.

We're about halfway through the hauling work. It's accelerated significantly but there are still over fifteen hundred objects to haul. I'm having everything moved to a retractable bridge over a channeled square, so eventually I'll be able to drop the stone straight down (depending on caverns and such) to the bottom level for use in industries that will support the massive cave-in project.

Three thousand stones should hold me over for ten or fifteen years, especially since I have no plans to accept caravans and therefore need no crafts.

Two more children have been born, which is weird since I have my child cap set to 25. That makes thirty total. Useless mouths... *sigh*

I'm rethinking my plans to proceed at maximum speed with the cave-in. Perhaps I should attempt to set up a functioning fortress before just rampaging ahead with such a massive project. At any rate, ignoring migrants and caravans may not be the best idea. Besides, I can build a fortress in the top ten or fifteen layers, then move down to the magma sea area when I'm ready to cave in the rest of the world. Thoughts? Ideas?

In other news, the human caravan arrived. I wasn't on the lookout for it, so I didn't have the drawbridge down. Even so, I'm pretty damn certain some goblin raiders came with it. I'd like to have the dwarven caravan arrive and leave safely to carry back the news of "No, we don't need any more migrants," (pop cap at 50) but the danger may be too great. I've had too much fun to not know better. I can ignore migrants and caravans from here until I get a proper entrance set up.

Final statement for this report: I'm not going to work on a caravan-friendly, enemy-unfriendly entrance in the remaining two months before the second dwarven caravan arrives. It's not worth it to me. The hauling is still going strong. We're completely out of plump helmets, which worries me; harvest can't come soon enough... running out of booze is probably the current biggest threat to the fort's safety.

Hope you don't have a river/stream, because won't it just eventually fill up the giant hole?

No river or stream. I embarked to a location specifically without one. I could do the collapse anyway, but it'd look a bit funnier. :P
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 09:44:49 am »

Heh, too bad. A crater lake would look awesome. Maybe you can make one using lava and use that as a source for future devices or industries?
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 12:17:27 pm »

Creating 100z + waterfall would be bad for FPS, if the actual cave-in doesn't crash said computer first.

With all this hauling, are minecarts being used?  Or at least wheel barrows?

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »

Creating 100z + waterfall would be bad for FPS, if the actual cave-in doesn't crash said computer first.

With all this hauling, are minecarts being used?  Or at least wheel barrows?

Unfortunately, neither. I don't have a metal industry yet, and IIRC dwarves don't use wheelbarrows for dumping operations. Besides, I can't spare the wood right now.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 02:13:55 pm »

Forget dumping.  Minecart QSP is the way to go - speedy and efficient!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!
Pages: 1 [2]