Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caving In the World  (Read 1789 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Caving In the World
« on: November 11, 2013, 08:05:57 pm »

It's time for !!SCIENCE!!.

--------------------------------------------

I'm planning to do a 1x1 embark, accept two migrant waves, and then excavate every layer (down to the magma sea) and collapse the entire world one embark square.

Once I have done this, if any dwarves are left alive, I will attempt to construct a castle in the ruins of the world.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

I'll keep this posted with my results.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:53:19 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
Re: Caving In the World
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:07:27 pm »

Chzo demands it.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:12:13 pm »

It's time for !!SCIENCE!!.

--------------------------------------------

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

The magma sea isn't deep enough.  You know what I mean.  Eerie glowing fortress, the evil phoenix of the depths?  Bonus cookies for rebuilding out of pure slade.

I'll certainly be watching this thread closely - good luck!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:29:00 pm »

would be a fun adventure mode world..
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Desgeretjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:27:46 pm »

And how do you intend to deal with the cavern lakes with their infinite refill?

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:37:03 pm »

I imagine you could just treat them like you do draining the aquifer.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:37:40 pm »

Like all problems in life, this one can be solved with magma.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:02:39 am »

Like all problems in life, this one can be solved with magma.

Exactly. I shall cast my way to victory, even though I have no experience with pump stacks or magma obsidian casting. (Really, though, what better way to learn?)

Brief status update. I'm too lazy to post pictures right now, that'll come later.

I arrived at the embark site with thirteen picks and seven dwarves, only two of which (the dwarves, not the picks) had no mining experience at all. (They're ground support, as it were.) My immediate goal was to get the channel started around the outer edge, so I ordered the five of them to get moving. After some burrow issues (dwarves don't like to channel in burrows...?), things got rolling and the two ground support guys fixed up a temporary shelter in the center of what will eventually be the world's largest hole in the ground. A good six months passed before we were totally safe from intruders, but nothing really catastrophic happened. After the first migrant wave, I'd already finished the trench, so I decided to start tearing down the mountains and leveling out the plain on which we had arrived. Less a plain, more a slope. Ah well. One cave-in accident occurred, smashing poor Urist - I mean Catten - I mean, oh, what was his name? into oblivion. Doesn't matter. We press on. The second migrant wave showed up and had to wait on the other side of the trench before a mason could build a bridge to them. Farms are getting going underground, the still is bubbling away happily, and all's going fine when suddenly a werebeast appeared. It massacred a piglet that the migrants had brought before transforming back into a dwarf, marveling at all the !!SCIENCE!!, and leaving. I'm pretty happy it didn't kill anyone. Getting migrants into the fort from here on out without goblins and the like coming along for the ride will be quite a chore. I'm thinking of giving up on the whole "caravan" thing... it's kind of overrated anyway, what with the wagons and depots and squishy bodies needing protection from marauding goblins. One final cave-in happened which never should have happened, but it was one square of floor above a spot I hadn't noticed, so give me a break. It didn't kill the miner anyhow. She fell a few floors and walked away with a bruised heart and lung. No biggie except she's pissed now for having received major injuries, and drinking the same old booze (plump helmet wine). She can suck my pick.

We're almost ready to collapse the mountains and level this plain down to nothing, but there is one issue to clear up first: all the valuable materials lying around. Mining out an entire mountain left something like three thousand stones behind, and I don't like to let all that go to waste. I hope to salvage it all but the operation is taking longer than my patience is likely to bear. Even at maximum speed, all eighteen or nineteen dwarves dumping stone, it's taking months to make even the slightest dent. Which makes sense, honestly. Eighteen dwarves divided by three thousand stones is a lot of weary Urists. Minus breaks, sleeping, eating, and drinking, and the dwarven child who arrived yesterday will die of old age before this is done. I suppose more migrants could make the process more efficient, but with migrants might come goblin raids, and a crossbow gobbo raid right now would finish me. Or any raid, for that matter, with the bridge down. We already saw one kobold thief show up around the same time as the caravan.

The main trench is only one z deep, but it's enough to keep out ninety per cent of what this world will throw at me for the first five or six years. I can ignore migrants and caravans safely, although I haven't decided for sure that I'll do it. Maybe the caverns will change things a bit. It would be nice to get caravans in through the caverns while sieges arrived up top. But securing caverns doesn't sound like much more fun than securing topside... hm. More suggestions are necessary for the ongoing ideafication of this embark!

And yes, I'll post pictures next time. Documentation shall proceed according to some semblance of reality and regularity. It's past three AM. I'm going to bed.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 09:25:18 am »

Miners will mine in burrows, so long as the tile they're supposed to mine is also within the burrow.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 10:27:04 am »

Miners will mine in burrows, so long as the tile they're supposed to mine is also within the burrow.

Yes, you burrowed the "z0" level but not the "z-1" one. Remember that you don't need to actually "see" all the blocks in the burrow and that you can make "segmented" burrows (e.g., digging burrow with a separate zone - not connected - for eating/drinking/reproducingsleeping)
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 12:59:07 pm »

Are you excavating:
1) the edges of the embark and a few z levels at the very bottom?
or
2) everything except a few flat z levels at the surface?

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 01:14:56 pm »

I'd simply mine out the very edges of the map and let loose with a map-size lava piston. And then you can create a fortress over a lava lake. Bonus points if you manage to set up system to refill the lake.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:25:31 pm »

It wouldn't act as a piston if it hit the SMR, it'd just vanish.

I actually had an embark that was like this due to a glitch a few versions back. The wagon started in the circus, sitting there the on slade, and it was clear skies all the way above them. It was weird. Couldn't play it because it constantly generated cave in events.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »

Are you excavating:
1) the edges of the embark and a few z levels at the very bottom?
or
2) everything except a few flat z levels at the surface?

I am caving in every single level all the way down to the top of the magma sea, at least. (Caverns will be complicated but not impossible...) The idea is to leave one solid floor one z-level above the highest Z in the magma sea and everything will collapse to that. I will leave nothing standing but the unmineable tiles on the edge of the map. Once I get down to the magma sea, then we'll see. I'm open to suggestions and advice.

I'd simply mine out the very edges of the map and let loose with a map-size lava piston. And then you can create a fortress over a lava lake. Bonus points if you manage to set up system to refill the lake.

There's an idea. Unfortunately, I don't really want to bite off quite that much for now.

Status update later tonight after I finish hauling and do the first collapse.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 01:50:57 pm »

Have you checked to see if there are any spires on your embark? What will you do with them if there are?
Pages: [1] 2