Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do to with several handfulls of UristMcGoodAtNothing's?  (Read 1368 times)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: What do to with several handfulls of UristMcGoodAtNothing's?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:12:47 pm »

!!Ammo!!. Seriously, although you may not achieve the !!!! part, you could probably assign useless dorfs to a squad, station them in front of a giant pressurized water tank and throw them into invaders at high speed you know the rest.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 06:27:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Third when I've got a lot of red guys roaming around I make them marksdwarfs. Crossbows are my favorite weapons and mature forts of mine are usually at least one third crossbowdwarfs.

I like crossbowdwarves, but I never really figured out how to train them. Is enabling hunting on them good enough? (My best marksdwarf is my mayor/crossbow-squad captain, who basically hunts non-stop.) If I put them in a danger room, will it do anything for them crossbow-wise, or will it just train their hammerdwarf skill?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »

I like crossbowdwarves, but I never really figured out how to train them
you need an archery range

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 07:18:22 pm »

I like crossbowdwarves, but I never really figured out how to train them
you need an archery range

Well I know that, but what's a good way to set one up? The ones I've set up in the past don't seem to train them all too well.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 07:21:51 pm »

Or live(-ish) target practice. I don't like hunting as a labor, gets too finicky with equipment, too likely to get a dwarf killed, and I don't like surface work for RP reasons.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »

If I put them in a danger room, will it do anything for them crossbow-wise, or will it just train their hammerdwarf skill?
It'll only boost their hammerdwarf skill, though that isn't necessarily bad, since they may need it later, it doesn't help their shooting. there are big builds you could do to make them shoot, and thereby improve, such as a live training room, but they can be tricky to get right.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:46 pm »

Archery targets are tricky. If you set them up right, assign them right, and get the equipment problems sorted, dwarfs might use them, sometimes. It is still subject to the relative unpredictability of military training, but it can work. Live training is much more effective, though it can also be tricky to set up if you don't have a good supply of targets.

Even without training, 50 fully equipped novice marksdwarves in a fortified position will still blunt a siege considerably.
Pages: 1 [2]