Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The adventurers of Kelvin and Harvey a darklands stye adventure 4/6.  (Read 3409 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: The adventurers of Kelvin and Harvey a darklands stye adventure 4/6.
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 09:58:19 am »

((What? No, they wouldn't try to target the priest. They'd target the guys trying to kill them. You know, the actual threat. For the most part war is two groups march up and hack at each other till one side legs it or the next wave shows up. They're not going out of their way to pike an old man when there's other people actively trying to kill them. Priorities, Patrick.

And priests were forbidden to use weapons that shed blood, so they used things like hammers and maces. Obviously they never saw someone with their head smashed in, but that's beside the point. ))
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 10:01:16 am »

(( Well it's with them or alone so not much of a choice. It is a war based on religion so the guy who's fighting and represents religion will be hated most of all. Makes him a priority target.

I was thinking more for archers though. They see a priest, a symbol of everything they hate and are fighting against and a fair few will aim for him. You always try to break your enemies morale so killing the priest who is encouraging the enemies men to keep fighting is a sound tactical move. It'll hurt the morale of the rank and file men a lot.

It's what my glaives are for, pick off the enemy standards, officers and preachers to hurt enemy morale.

We're more dangerous but less important. ))
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:10:37 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 10:08:56 am »

(( Well it's with them or alone so not much of a choice. It is a war based on religion so the guy who's fighting and represents religion will be hated most of all. Makes him a priority target. ))

((I'm fighting with the pike square, not by myself. Staying to the rear, increasing their morale with religious fervour, providing comfort to the wounded, etc. I can fight if I have to, but mostly as a last resort. I have no illusions about my prowess.))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 10:12:11 am »

(( Better off in the middle then the back, battle in this era is about flanking so your exposed at the back. Middle is the safest position. ))
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 10:15:27 am »

((You're thinking too modern, Patrick. The 'priority targets' are nobles, wealthy people, those that can be captured for ransom or looted for good stuff and money. People are typically more concerned with getting wealthy in the land of men than trying to kill a priest and getting perforated.
And he can stand behind the pikeline or in the back, you know. It's not single file or death.

While the war may be based on religion in that crusades were endorsed by the pope, it was also mainly a way for a knight or lord to prove himself, win fame and wealth, and capture land - which equates to wealth and power. While no doubt there were some who believed it was their holy duty to fight the Muslim hordes for the most part it was a potential way to get rich. That goes for the other side too. Win money and fame fighting the Christian hordes. They want to capture the wealthy young sods they can sell back to their parents for a big sack of cash. A old priest is basically worthless, both to loot or ransom. ))

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:38 am »

(( Maybe though I suspect a bounty on the heads of priests is in place, but either way it makes tactical sense to remove the man encouraging your enemies to fight harder. ))
Caine's law.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:14 pm »

Harvey and Croweheart are quickly introduced to the other Doppelsöldners by there commander, Rottmeister Rudolf Holgersen, a short all most dwarf like Dane with a long handle bar moustache.

Harvey trains hard, continuity pushing him self a he strives with a single minded will to improve him self.
His daily regime strengthens him, slowly packing hard power full muscle on to his shoulders.
(+ 1 str and dex)

Otto quickly becomes a social feature in the mercenary's card and dice games, sadly his own views on the One True Faith fail to make much of an impression, perhaps the diverse origins of the band  diffuse his theological arguments.
Still some them willing call him a friend, and there willing to lead him money or buy him a drink or three.

Ottos suggestion that he will serve better inspiring other to fight than fighting him self is met with a short repose
"Fight or go cook with the other women i don't really care which, just pick one." Karl answers, his destain visible on his face.

Croweheart continuity practices with the great steel sword, the blade hissing through the air as it darts gracefully from swing to thrust in the morning fog.(+1 two-handed skill)

He manages to buy a pair of plate gauntlets off a fellow mercenary foe $20.

The march seams to be endless, until one day you finally arrive at the boarder of Moldavia.
You travel deeper into Moldavia until you find your self camped outside a castle awaiting the man who claims to be the right full Voivode of Wallachia.

You orders arrive by messenger thay are to:

A) Join up with his life guard and assist in attacking a force of Ottoman raiders
B) Besiege a local bolyar's strong hold
C) Help enforce his rule by arresting and punishing criminals

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 09:42:44 pm »

Request a set of Coat of plates shoulder, arm and leg armor and male hands from our quartermaster. Have my pay transferred directly to them until it's all paid for.

Request that 20 sword, 10 halberd and 20 musket men be assigned under my command in the up coming battle demonstrate my superior combat skills and military knowledge if required to prove I'm worthy and request that Crowheart be assigned to me as well.

Promise half my share of loot to Rottmeister as well if he'll give me the command.

(( It's worth a shot anyway, I'm probably at least equal to a sergeant in combat skills and military knowledge. ))
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:46:17 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 10:05:09 pm »

The quartermaster stares at you for a monument before braking in to laughter.
"Loan you them till you pay me off? ha ha that is a good one, what next  no dont tell me you whant to guard the contingency fund?
Ok let be serious here there's here stores are worth twice what they cost us back in Lübeck, if you want something you have to pay in full."
you are quickly inform for the pricing of his wears.

Spoiler: Prices armour (click to show/hide)

-----------------
Our noble heroes
-----------------
Spoiler: Kelvin York (scapheap) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harvey (Patrick Hunt) (click to show/hide)

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 10:08:50 pm »

(( Did we get our first months pay yet?

What about my request to lead a force btw? ))
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:15:44 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 07:27:25 am »

Kelvin wake up

He chooses to Join up with his life guard and assist in attacking a force of Ottoman raiders
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 07:45:23 am »

Join the Life Guard and fight the attacking raiders

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 05:24:11 am »

Yes you have got your first payment (you got paid in advance when you signed up)

"... And what good will you do with this unit? this is a battle we face, not some skirmish where any one can have a go at command.
Still you show some initiative maybe one day soon you will be in command of a patrol. "
Karl Ludwig smiles as he dismiss you and returns to a large map.

You march rapidy meet up with to the Voivodes life guard.

As you cross a ridge line in the hot mid day sun, you get your first look at the man thay call the Son of the Dragon, Vlad the third.
In time he will bear many names, the Impaler lord, Dracula, but today he is simply the meal ticket.

Your are ordered to make ready for battle by night fall.

As you pass Karls tent you hear raised voices.
"1500 aginst 4000? your mad at thouse odds it will be a massacrer." Karl sound shaken and pessimistic.

"I have 1000 men,each one willing to fight like a lion, thay will be wolfs to break these turkish dogs, why did you bring dogs or maggots?" you can hear the confidence in Vlad voice as he speak.

As you ready your self you cant help wonder how this small band is going to the turkish host.
It is a little after lunch when the army sets off, Vlads men are mostly mounted and armored with battered but serviceable plate armor.
As dusk starts to fall silence is ordered as exit the tree line, looking down below youa scattering orange pin pricks cover a flat grassy plane next to a river, the turkish camp.

-------
Ok now i havent been able to come up with much in the way of rules for battles so just post what you want to do and il roll some dice to see how well you do.

-----------------
Our noble heroes
-----------------
Spoiler: Kelvin York (scapheap) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Harvey (Patrick Hunt) (click to show/hide)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 05:46:45 am »

(( What kind of terrain is the battle taking place on? Any forests nearby? Buildings or choke points? Military knowledge should allow me to assess the terrain for tactical advantages.))
Caine's law.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 08:46:28 am »

For turkish horsemen, when they charge, hack out the legs of the horses and chop up the men when they've been dismounted.

Stay with the rest of the Doppnelsolders. Have other soldiers defend my sides while i dish out heavy damage to the front in combat. Try to hack our way to officers and commanders.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:49:06 pm by GiglameshDespair »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6