Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26

Author Topic: Let's Play MAJESTY!  (Read 29133 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MAJESTY!
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2013, 08:14:20 am »

Sir Haspen the Ironfist, reporting for duty, your Majesty :V
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2013, 08:21:00 am »

Simmura the Ranger for round 2, then. Maybe that'll work.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2013, 08:27:56 am »

I'm getting better at this!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:53 am »

Reading this LP certainly gave that impression. It has been quite a comical read thus far with the goblin raiders and whatnot.

Actually the game is more easier than this LP makes out. It's just that (due to lack of appropriate requests) Kagus hasn't been filling up his guilds with heroes to fight off attacking monsters. Hell, for a while it was just a knight and a gnome. So obviously the early game was kinda gimped and, well...

I'm getting better at this!

But I'm... just... a gnome...

Anyways, I going with a Ranger named Dyin' Hood this time. Hopefully the name will be more ironic than apt.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 10:06:40 am »

Sir Isdar the Humble, reporting for death duty, your Majesty!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:55 am »

Anyway, if available, I'll be an elf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:48 am »

Round 2 begins!  Our humble beginnings:

You'll notice that our palace looks a little different than usual...  That's because it isn't a palace.

This building, which was added in the Northern Expansion addon, is the Outpost.  You can build these normally once your palace reaches level either 2 or 3, and they serve as "extra palaces".  They're naturally quite expensive to build, but if your main palace is destroyed you can keep playing from your new seat of power.  The freestyle game settings also allow you to start with one of these instead of a normal palace.

The differences are that an outpost only starts with as many peasants and tax collectors as a level 1 palace (as you upgrade the palace, these areas of infrastructure are greatly expanded, allowing you to keep more henchmen around) and can't be upgraded.  It also has fewer hitpoints than a proper upgraded palace.

However, to compensate for this, it automatically acts as a palace level 3 as far as tech requirements go, and it starts with two palace guards (whereas a palace level 1 has no guards, and level 2 has only one).  Additionally, it can serve as a home for up to 6 "homeless" heroes.  Normally, when a hero's home guild is destroyed, they'll try and find another guild in your kingdom that has vacancies.  If they can't find a new place to call home, they will mope around and then leave the world forever.  The outpost also can be used with a special other building that will let you call in random heroes, often of types you normally wouldn't be able to get due to building conflicts, as the outpost can house any assortment of any hero type.  We probably won't be using this system however, due to the randomness involved in the hero picks, but if you expressly want a "surprise" hero later on, I'm sure we can manage something.

Here we are setting up our preliminary buildings and getting ready to get hit by the inevitable swarm of monsters that will smash us to bits (it won't be goblins this time, though).

Now, a special notice...  I mentioned that the outpost serves as a level 3 palace for tech considerations?  Well, that means we have all the various building types in the game available to us right from the start.  This means all the temples, and their disciples.  Which means I have to talk about the other hero types!

Continued...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2013, 10:37:34 am »

...continued.

Since we started with an outpost, we can build the temples to any of these faiths right off the bat, and also build that wizard's guild!  The whole range of champions is now available, and I honestly have no good reason for as to why I didn't think of using the outpost earlier.

The main downside, at least to start with, is that gnomes also consider it a level 3 palace, meaning they won't dare try to offer their services to us.  That leaves the nonhuman picks for this round between elves and dwarves.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2013, 11:05:34 am »

Go with Fervus and gimme a WoD!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013, 11:20:31 am »

Go with Fervus and gimme a WoD!
Same here. WoD all the way.
If not i still want a Crossbow armed graverobber.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2013, 11:21:17 am »

I'm seconding Fervus and requesting a cultist.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 11:31:39 am »

I remain neutral and claim a barbarian.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 11:38:28 am »

I'll take a Warrior with the name of Zieg

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 11:42:35 am »

Construction carried on as well as anyone could expect, and we soon had an almost bustling little encampment with a marketplace generating gold, and two guard towers generating arrows.

To help welcome us into the neighborhood, some of the locals showed up to visit and say hi!

Rather than a housewarming, however, they were more interested in a house-smashing.  Luckily, Simmura and Dyin' Hood, our resident longstriders, were nearby and managed to take out the beasts with the aid of the royal and city guards.  They gained a handsome few levels while they were doing it as well, not to mention the pocket change they needed to buy some potions and new bows.

While we recovered from that slightly worrying attack, our knight's barracks was erected and our brave warriors Deathsword, Sir Haspen Ironfist and Sir Isdar the Humble stowed their belongings in the less spider-infested storage rooms before setting out to take in the local sights and ales.

Simmura and Dyin' Hood ventured out into the wilderness to get a better knowledge of our surroundings.

I should take this moment to point out something that did exist in the last round, but didn't exactly make much of a headline when measured up against the incessant raids.

This is a treasure chest.  They normally show up in campaign missions, but you can select an option for freestyle games that scatters a few of them across the map.  They contain a random amount of gold, awarded to the first hero to find them and open them up.  This is a nice way of helping your heroes get some early upgrades, as well as potentially providing income for some otherwise somewhat less wealthy adventurers (such as rangers).  Once opened, they just sit around uselessly until something gets built on top of them, at which point they disappear.

While exploring the wilds, Simmura fired an arrow at what he thought to be a lurking goblin, but was quite clearly something else entirely.

What manner of beast would fall apart in such a gruesome manner?

The answer, of course, is this:

This is a rust-spitter.  Rust spitters are theorized to be the result of a magical experiment gone horribly wrong, and they now infest some parts of Ardania.  Their name comes from the fact that they digest food by vomiting acid onto it and then slurping up the melted remains, much in the way as some flies do.  Unlike the majority of monsters, rust spitters are ranged and will spit acidic projectiles at your heroes.  They're not particularly accurate, and the spitters themselves are very squishy and easy to dispatch (and no, their death explosion does not injure anyone nearby), but they can occasionally swarm unprepared heroes and take them down with their moderately damaging missiles.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2013, 11:52:14 am »

With Zieg, that makes 4 warriors.  I can make another guild if more people want to join the ranks of the smashy and slashy.

Simmura dealt with the spitters easily, and Dyin' Hood was doing just fine until he saw a werewolf and decided it was time for him to head back home.

Speaking of home...  Our first earthquake of this round!  Yaaaay...

...wait, what's that?  Down in the lower left corner?  I don't remember a rock formation being ther-

SHIT.  Shitshitshit.

This is a rock golem.  Rock golems are massive, incredibly burly, hate buildings with a vengeance, and deal an intense amount of damage when they hit something.  Which, if it's a building, they normally will.  Because buildings can't dodge worth a damn.

Currently, we have our three warriors hanging around somewhere in the vicinity, and the mightily brave Dyin' Hood retreating as fast as he can back in our direction.  Hopefully we'll be able to take this brute down, otherwise we're in for some serious hurt.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 26