Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26

Author Topic: Let's Play MAJESTY!  (Read 29156 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play MAJESTY!
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2013, 03:11:51 am »

Fuck that blackmail mission. Fuck it FOREVER.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2013, 03:18:28 am »

Signing on as a Priestess of ........ Carpets.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:56 am »

Ehn... they pull some of the gold flow back in via popping up lounges, though, which drain tax money out of the system. Your best bet for extra buildings would be, hrm. Do wizard towers count? Don't think they have a multiplier. Inns are fairly cheap, too, and generate gold besides. Dunno if statues'd do it...

Point being, going for gold I probably wouldn't make more than one bungalow, m'self. One's good/incredible, but they've got diminishing returns on 'em. One thing you might be able to do with the expansion is hire/dismiss embassy heros until you're full up on elves that way. Elven heroes, no extra lounges. A match made in incredibly wasteful heaven. Though now I'm wondering if you could, like, game it. Make a bungalow, and an outpost, hire a couple of elves, destroy the bungalow, wait for the elves to move into the outpost, rebuild the bungalow and repeat until outpost full. Eight elves, one bungalow, (hopefully) one lounge.

'Course, that's all moot when gnomes are the best of the non-humans anyway :P
If all you were going for was income, you'd want as many markets as you could fit, inns everywhere else, and whatever other buildings were cheap enough to justify getting instead of another inn. I suspect that wouldn't be as fun as having an elf n scoundrel town.

Also, does having more lounges/gambling halls actually increase the chances of a hero visiting one? I wouldn't think so, but I've never thought to check.

I like to build a marketplace on one side of the palace and a trading post on the other side.  It takes a building or two in between to get to the minimum distance though.

Wizards cost a lot and die easily so I don't build them until a bit late.  Rogues are the first heroes I buy because they're cheap and can loot dead enemies, and there will be some minor ones early on.

Disable routine tax collection from houses.  Houses don't produce a lot and slow down the tax collectors.  Do a one-off collection if the houses have a decent size, like 150 gold or so.
I seem to recall that I used to do that first one, but that at the distances involved I could just build a second marketplace instead. Plus, there's not always enough room on the other side of the palace.

I build rangers first for the free exploration, then warriors because they're a match for most enemies. Then it sort of depends, but I probably neglect rogues more than I should.

The house thing is the smart way to do it, but I'm usually lazy. :P

I do not recall this mission.

Time to go find it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:53 am »

I do not recall this mission.

Time to go find it.
Five minutes in you'll want to claw out your brains.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2013, 05:23:06 am »

By blackmail you mean pact with that demon or the elven ransom?

Also: I dunno how elves work, I wa just saying that my kingdom is a giant slob of debauchery and violence :P Heck, I have to extort money via rogues guild because those 8 or so tax collectors aren't fast enough to get those 10-15k laying in various guilds and shops in time.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2013, 05:41:04 am »

Place more guardhouses, they are places where the tax collectors can cash in, and place them near big cash generators.  Adjust the amount the tax collectors get so they ignore small amounts, like in houses, etc.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2013, 05:46:04 am »

Place more guardhouses, they are places where the tax collectors can cash in, and place them near big cash generators.  Adjust the amount the tax collectors get so they ignore small amounts, like in houses, etc.

I already have 15 guardhouses :P

It's just that cash flows in faster than collectors can get around! I have speedy heroes (elves, rangers, rogues) who often hunt wendigos, ice drakes, gorgons and werewolves and vampires, so that's lot of cash in the heroes' pockets. Then they go to at least 10 or so different inns, the marketplace, several trading posts in various little settlements, or the extra blacksmiths/magic bazaars, not to mention few other buildings...
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2013, 05:49:17 am »

This game seems rather chaotic with the lack of control over your minions, as well as the absurd amount of challenges it's throwing at you. On a scale of 1 to Constructor, how difficult is it?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2013, 05:50:16 am »

This game seems rather chaotic with the lack of control over your minions, as well as the absurd amount of challenges it's throwing at you. On a scale of 1 to Constructor, how difficult is it?

'Majesty' :P
SigFlags!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2013, 06:17:02 am »

By blackmail you mean pact with that demon or the elven ransom?
Both. Both of those damn missions are abominations against difficulty and frustration. The 'Apocalypse' game is easier for fuck's sake!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2013, 06:25:52 am »

That elven extortion mission is actually pretty easy if you know what to do. Which is as simple as spam paladins :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2013, 06:57:18 am »

I had some difficulties (~4 retries) with the elven mission. Couldn't get all their buildings smashed in within time limit at first. The pact was fairly easy with elves + marketspam.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2013, 07:15:17 am »

Hate damn elves. I never use them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2013, 07:38:52 am »

... yeah, the demon one is bloody easy with a single bungalow. You don't even have to hire any elves, just have the building around. As said, that, a few marketplaces, handful of inns, few trading posts. Gold flows quick, then.

If you want to do it without a bungalow... you'll need a lot more of everything except the bungalow, and gold won't flow in nearly as quickly (since the tax collectors have a lot more places to go).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 12, 2013, 07:50:11 am »

Hmm personally i never had any problems with the Basic missions.
From what i remember in the elven ransom elves start avoiding your town once you have a lvl 2 palace in place so you can build up in peace and either collect gold or go and wipe the elven menace off the face of the earth without any problems.

The 2 last missions are the only hard ones imo.
In fact you just have to pray that some of the tougher enemies you are supposed to face end up fighting demonwood and die.

Oh and the last mission?
3 wraights (or whatever those guys are called) rush in and simply devastate everyone before even worse things come in.
I know that you cna trick them by casting invisibility and antimagic shell on your heroes to trick them into thinking they are also wraiths (and let them beat them up) but i never managed to get through this mission... but that's the final one so i guess its ok to be THAT hard.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 26