Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amusing arena "feature" found...  (Read 1477 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Amusing arena "feature" found...
« on: November 09, 2013, 01:55:17 am »

There's not really any forum for the testing arena, so I figured I might as well post this discovery here.

I was toying around in the arena, having fun with murdering Elves with a high master Dwarf, when I noticed that the Elves kept dying really fast.  I looked at the combat logs and realized that this Dwarf was only kicking them in the head with his left foot.  And then I remembered that I'd taken control of him briefly to personally dropkick an Elf in the face earlier, and realized what was going on.  If you give an arena creature an attack command and immediately return to the regular arena mode, that character will only attempt that one attack.  So yeah, I basically made a Chuck Norris Dwarf completely by accident.  Fun times.
Sanity is for the weak.

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing arena "feature" found...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 02:31:11 am »

I gave a bronze colossus a sock

He proceeded to wack everything into the water
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 05:53:50 am »

Colossus: I'm gona beat you to death with my Pigtail fiber Sock
Otherguy: Wait can you beat someone to death with a sock?
Colossus: I dont know but I'll have fun trying.  You not so much.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »

Oh, that's how you do it. I've had it happen a couple of times.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 11:25:28 pm »

I noticed this a little while back, it's good for testing effectiveness of weaponsvsarmour
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 04:55:07 am »

It also preserves the difficulty and squareness of the last strike, and the targeted body part. The actual results of the attack are not preserved, and if you set up infinite upper body punching, random organs in the upper body will still be bruised.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 11:28:20 pm »

It turns out, it gets better.  If you perform an attack that severs a limb and switch back, your character will continue to attempt to sever that limb... and keep on succeeding at it.  Watch in amusement as your target loses dozens of copies of the same appendage before dying of bleeding!
Sanity is for the weak.

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 01:36:11 pm »

I've had 'bronze colossus remains' flying out of a bronze colossus after doing this with creatures equipped with weapons that can hurt them.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:36:32 pm »

^wondered how "bronze colossus remains" were formed

Also, if you stab someone and it get impaled, it just keeps duping the weapon, so you can pincushion someone with 30 swords in 2 seconds of play
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:06:24 pm »

^wondered how "bronze colossus remains" were formed

Also, if you stab someone and it get impaled, it just keeps duping the weapon, so you can pincushion someone with 30 swords in 2 seconds of play

I have no idea, It was just a dwarf smacking a colossus in the head with steel sword repeatedly until the head came off, remains flying all over the place in the mean time.

nvm, I can't seem to get it to happen again.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:10:43 pm by duckman »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:29:25 pm »

The attack has to actually sever the part during the sequence when you're controlling the character.  Immediately switch back to Arena mode after landing that hit, and the character will keep hacking that part off, even though it's no longer there.  The remains that come out of repeat "severs" are just called "partial remains", since nothing is actually being cut off.  I had an amusing bit earlier today where I had a Dwarf chop off an Elf's ear in controlled mode.  There were about a hundred Elf ears (all listed as Elf partial remains, of course) strewn across the ground before the Elf bled to death.
Sanity is for the weak.