Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Might alter the shield system next round, vote on it:

Same as now.
Paneled shield system (current fave) Overcharge does not act as a shield battery, ships have a certain number of sections based on the shield type they have, power is allocated between panels, players must actively allocate power.(probably going to try)
Shield gen not connected to overcharge.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Blackspace (Reboot soonish~!)  (Read 19408 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Blackspace, (a space combat simulation)
« Reply #135 on: March 07, 2014, 12:16:14 am »

To clarify missile damage patterns, the spread is for the ship blueprint scale, there are missiles that can spread on map tiles, but those tend to be built the same way as drones are or they happen to be nuclear.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 07, 2014, 09:28:36 am »

Which HK is mine? Preferably the bottom, but meh.

Advance at speed equal to our Spearhead
Target the 'T' ship.
Fire full salvo on 'T' ship, intercept course. Firebrand HE missile preferably to hit both the M and T ships.

Sure, I'm fine with that.

@Kevak, can you tell us the exact thrust power of our ships? You gave us the formula, but you're the one with the documents, and it's easier for you to calculate the mass.

KMS Rittertürnier advances abreast of the other HK. Fire a missile salvo. At the M class ship.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:01:55 pm by WhitiusOpus »
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2014, 11:38:01 am »

I actually haven't calculated for individual ships yet, working on other stuff, I will do that the same time I update, if you would like to know the thrust then count up tiles (engine tiles included) then engine tiles, and calculate them. It would be appreciated but feel no obligation. (And who knows, I may calculate them before I update).

Also all sets of missiles are 5 missiles (2 mm = 5 missiles fully loaded)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2014, 09:10:42 pm »

For exact thrust power, I figured it out.

It's all basically more or less the same, by the way. Save for Firebrand, which is slowest of us by far.

Crescent Corvette has exactly 1 thrust power. 140 tiles, 14 engine tiles.
Firebrand Destroyer has about 0.725 thrust power. 193 tiles, but still only 14 engine tiles.
Spearhead Heavy Cruiser has almost a full thrust power; 0.969, with 289 tiles and 28 engine tiles. Yes, the addition of a single engine tile would put it to 1 exactly.
Hunter Killer Destroyer is the fastest of the lot, barely, with 1.024 thrust power. 205 tiles, 21 of which are engines.

Speaking of which, the HKD and Spearhead Heavy Cruiser should be the widest of the lower, the Firebrand being the sleekest; HKD and SHC are both 21 tiles wide at their widest points, while Crescent Corvette is 19, and Firebrand is 13. The Spearhead would of course still be the longest, however, being 22 tiles long, while the Firebrand is similarly long at 18. The Hunter Killer is 13 tiles long, much stubbier, comparable to the 12 tiles long that the Crescent Corvette is. Fittingly, I suppose, considering it's a modified version of it.
In short;
Crescent Corvette: 19 tiles wide at widest point, 12 tiles long overall.
Hunter-Killer Destroyer: 21 tiles wide at widest point, 13 tiles long overall.
Firebrand Destroyer: 13 tiles wide at widest point, 18 tiles long overall.(yes, it could fit anywhere the crescent corvette could, basically, just turned sideways)
Spearhead Heavy Cruiser: 21 tiles wide at wide point, 22 tiles long overall.

And now for my analysis of the ships.

The Crescent Corvette is what you'd expect it is; a general-purpose, cheap ship not specialized in any particular direction, decently fast only because of it's comparatively small size. It has a great deal of room for customization, boasting many empty hallways whilst still accomplishing it's purpose admirably, that of being a starter ship for beginning captains; it makes up for it's lack of overwhelming armament with the ability to, in all likelihood, go fairly unnoticed in battle, as well as achieving ambushes with ease due to the Blackout missiles. Whether it can follower through is another matter entirely...though given enough of them, it is more than likely, even as fragile as they are, lacking hatches over their weapon ports.

The Hunter-Killer Destroyer is an adjustment on the Crescent Corvette, apparently a standardized set of such, keeping the same speed and flexibility inherent in it's base design, whilst granting it an improved armament and boasting heavier armor, an entire plating of such over the front, to keep it alive for the time needed to rip apart it's prey. Suited for running down isolated ships or pursuing stragglers in typical use, it also has use as a harassment vessel in heavy battle; though it's armor can keep it alive against single targets for the time necessary, larger battles take much longer, and it's shields cannot withstand focused fire upon it. As such, it should stay out of the main line of fire, maneuvering to flanking positions and firing opportunity salvos at enemies with exposed sides or engines to further increase their speed advantage, using it's lasers to take potshots at the enemy in the meantime. When ships have been weakened, or are exposed, they can also dive in for the kill, loosing their weapons time after time with lessened risk of danger from using up their overdrive(and thus, their shields), as their weapons take up significantly less energy than their pulse cannon counterparts. Their railguns have an advantage here, in being able to blast through shields to pound at armor without caring for the shape of the shields, though the strength of such weapons is of course increased when the shields have been breached. However, the limited ammunition available to them further cements their role as a ship meant to fight solo targets in short battles; the continuous fire needed to fight multiple targets is not something available to them, and unless supply vessels are close by to reload them, they will suffer.

The Firebrand Destroyer, on the other hand, is quite well suited to such large engagements, even with a similar shortage of ammo. Speed not typically being necessary in such pitched battles, it instead uses the space(more likely money, since engines give so much thrust per tile) on stronger shields, an EMP cannon, and an exuberance of missile launchers. With such defenses, combined with the thick plating interspersed with the space needed for it's missile launchers, it can afford to be cautious, as it is meant to be used, waiting for the ships of enemy shields to be depleted before striking. In the meantime, it can use it's EMP cannon and lasers to assist with the destruction of such shields, loosing a vicious missile volley against any foe fool enough to allow(or misfortunate enough to have been unable to prevent) their shields to drop completely. Rather than focusing in on one target, however, the Firebrand is suited to switching targets once it's deadly payload has been delivered, relying on the flames and destruction induced by their massive volley to finish off the unfortunate victim. To further assist whilst reloading their primary weapons, and to ensure their weapons do in fact hit and cripple, their EMP cannon is also used with this fatal strike, preventing the shields or any makeshift point defense to be used as the missiles close the distance. And then the wait begins again, for an opportunity to cripple another ship, perhaps so vessels such as the Hunter Killer can give the finishing blow, ripping the enemy apart to leave it a floating, scorched hulk useful only as scrap. Outside of such large engagements, it is most suitably used for ambushes, where it's speed is less of a hindrance, or as a rear-guard artillery vessel, meant to fire missiles at the start of battle at planned targest that will collide with the enemy just as it's shields are broken, assisting with laser and EMP support as needed.

The largest ship of the group, the Spearhead Heavy Cruiser, more than twice as large as the Crescent Corvette, is truly designed with great battles such as this is mind, with large stocks of ammo, enough for 8 volleys, more than enough for them to find and rip apart the smaller and weaker of enemy ships, as they were designed to do, changing targets if their original is slain. It is meant for and easily can engaging multiple targets simultaneously, boasting 12 pulse cannons and the customary pair of lasers that can batter ships into oblivion, put together with their launch rails. But their true strength lies in their durability; bulkheads and heavy plating beneath their weapons means that the Spearhead is quite difficult to put out of commission, even once disabled, and it's formidable array of shields, generators, and overcharge batteries, also twice that of the Crescent Corvette, puts conventional assault to shame. An intimidating vessel, with good reason, the Spearhead is, in the end, meant to draw enemy fire away from it's more vulnerable companions, punishing enemies who seek easier targets with the newly freed power flowing to it's pulse cannons. The best way to deal with such a vessel, of course, would be to use railguns or other similar weapons to strafe it's flanks and front, ruining offensive capability before ignoring it once the majority of it's armament has been destroyed in favor of easier targets. Or, if one can maneuver in such a way, to take it straight from behind, blasting through the primary engine block to break into the condensed area, a weak point even surrounded by armor as it is, containing it's shield, power, and overcharge centers, subverting most of the ship's equipment entirely(presumably, engines would be easier to destroy than armor, yes?).

Also, can we target/scan multiple ships in one turn?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2014, 11:13:08 pm »

You are correct with most of the design bios (I actually calculated the CC to move that much, but otherwise they were built with estimates on speed.

This game runs with realistic physics in terms of movement, more engines on a larger mass allow for similar movement to less engines on a smaller mass.

In space you can scale things up infinitely, gravity is not a problem and therefore a ship the size of Pluto can have the same speed as a ship the size of a car. (If not more due to more of an acceleration burn with more fuel)

The reason the ship sizes are inaccurate in map is because of simple single spectrum scanners, none of your ships have a advanced scanners of any sort, normal combat groups (for the GIC that is about 14 ships) have ships devoted to providing scan and targeting data to the fleet.

And yes, engines are easier to destroy then armor. Armor has 10 armor 10 hull and engines have 5 durability 10 hull, when durability is gone, a part stops functioning.

Edit number 2:

No, without advanced scanners you cannot scan multiple targets, you can target as many as you have weapons for but only some weapons can change targets between impacts.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:22:58 pm by Kevak »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2014, 02:01:35 pm »

Update'll be up later today, rl stuff has been interfering.

Also just for future reference, you guys do have a fleetnet, you get to see all the scans, you don't need to scan the same thing multiple times to see the outline (if you scan the same thing several times you see layers that are deeper in), only one ship actually needs to scan for the whole fleet to see it's outline.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2014, 09:16:50 pm »

Update today?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2014, 09:19:43 pm »

Finishing up the calculations of damage, the update will be up in a few hours.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2014, 03:33:44 am »

Mkay, I've been working on this for hours (and other game art), it is like 12:45 AM and I can't think straight enough to finish the damage maths so I will put up the scans right now and finish later today, movement is done btw as well, all starting movement is 3 velocity towards the other side, you may need to pull up at some point to avoid crashing and exploding.

Map of movements: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Scans performed and detected scans of friendly ships:

Spearhead was scanned twice, once by one ship and once by another ship if you are wondering why it has more scan data then the other ships, you can scan them several times for more data.

The Fighter/hunter class sized ships are numbered now for ease of damage tracking.

The combat will be done later today/tomorrow?(1:17 AM now, what would you call that?)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »

What the frick...

We need to scan that strange jellyfish-thing some more.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:45 pm »

And combat is up:

% = smoke
* = pulse burst
+ = railgun shell
m?? = missile of some type ?? replaced with acronym
- / = laser trail
< ^ > = laser front
# = emp burst

All weapons are flying towards their targets, even if the map radar doesn't show it, it is rather shitty radar.

Make your moves for turn two.
Damage will happen next turn for certain.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 10:08:40 am by Kevak »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:52 pm »

Good lord, we have like the worse radar equipment I've ever seen.

How did we make FTL drive, again?

Scan the giant jellyfish monster again, keep moving up, fire all weapons on it!
The Derail Thread

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »

Normally fleets have dedicated sensor ships, and the other ships get shitty sensors since they rely on the sensor ships for data, this battle isn't large enough to require a sensor ship, however news ships may show up when the fighting intensifies, if you can get control of one (which I don't advise trying) you will have better radar.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2014, 11:51:33 pm »

Well, if we get to the point of building our own ships, then I will certainly want some sweet radar.

Hmm, maybe I could mount radar on a rocket so I can get an interior scan from blasting people with it! That would be awesome! If totally unrealistic and most likely impossible.
The Derail Thread

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:22 am »

It is actually possible, boarding pods and bore bombs function like that, sept BP's carry people and BB's are bunkerbuster/mining missiles.

Edit:

Also you can add radar to your ship at a shipyard, just costs some money and/or material.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13