Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving away idea: The !!Hell!!  (Read 1642 times)

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
Giving away idea: The !!Hell!!
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:46:25 am »

While building my death and torture chambers I suddenly got this idea. Designing few small chambers of various death why not build something larger? Or rather giving away this idea to build something larger: The Hell! Not brimstone variant but Dante or perhaps more like chinese variant. How it works? Well, it is tricky bu I have idea how one should do it.

First is how are you are going design levels? By z-level basis or by stone layout basis? I recommend by stone layout basis. Dark stone, light stone, brown stone, soil. All those should give basis for level. Or in other words basis for architecture and various tortures. Is level better looking like caves and dungeons or underground town with stone ceiling as sky? Spikes, fire, water? Nasty syndromes? Hunger? No booze? Bonus if you reach to true Hell and build it into torturous area!

Also above ground levels are probably usable as type of levels. Especially in freezing biomes. Got have some ice too. Remember also make everybody your enemy and get lots of migrant into your fortress Hell. Bonus if biome reanimates any corpse. Other if you vampire, necromancer, werewolf or anything like them is within migrants. They are usable as managers of places and also you can use them as meaning of torture. Sleep well my dwarves...

Those who are curious how idea come to my mind, and maybe to them get good ideas too. I build room with spikes into my fortress not so long ago. Lead room with silver spikes. After killing some idiots and one pet I got idea build few more rooms. Obsidian, green glass and wooden. At this point I got idea for Hell Fortress. Mainly from various deaths that are being planned. Green glass room is drowning chamber, obsidian is burning room and wood is hunger. Now if you can say why those materials and deaths you probably won't have problems with building Hell itself...

Also make it be usable in adventure mode just for fun...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Giving away idea: The !!Hell!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:42:05 pm »

If only there was a way to force enemies to fight each other, you could have a bog where they are forced to beat each other to death, then reanimated by a necromancer to do it again... just like Dante's "wrath" level...

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 05:44:31 pm »

If only there was a way to force enemies to fight each other, you could have a bog where they are forced to beat each other to death, then reanimated by a necromancer to do it again... just like Dante's "wrath" level...

Point of order, Dante's Hell didn't have a circle for wrath.  That was Purgatory.  Hell had Anger (the disgusting River Styx, where those who expressed their anger with abandon fight each other upon the surface while those who internalized it drown underneath) and Violence (those who harm others are tossed into the river of boiling blood, those who harm themselves become trees that can only speak when limbs are broken off, and those who blaspheme were made to run through a burning desert under flaming hail).

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:05:33 pm »

Point of order, Dante's Hell didn't have a circle for wrath.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't be pushing too hard for stuff since I never actually read past the third circle, but building it still sounds fun. Some of the circles would need some creative interpretation though, that much I know...

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »

>Aslandus

Well, with little modding perhaps right kind of syndromes and way to resurrect enemy or anyone as living being... while in middle of swarm of undeads, thralls, husks, elephants, etc.

Anyway I have been thinking about this idea and came to conlucsion that if there should be good map and few things modded in I willing do my own version. *Wink, wink*. While I can do modding, I am very slow to create anything. So if you want me try my own idea theres stuff I need:

-Custom monsters from various mythos of Hell. If caravans can bring them they are even better. Easier place into right place.
-Custom plants and trees. Underground variants replacing current ones. Poisonous? Unnaturally cold or hot? Giving similar effects as those evil biome weather? Yep, want extra fun underground flora.
-Alchemical workshop with custom reactions for creating nasty stuff and fill levels with it. Also anything which sounds funny is right with me.
-Custom syndromes for creating interesting effects. Anything goes as long it is horrible. Especially something which revives deads back to life are... funny. Like again back to living one only to die horribly soon again... hehehehehahahahahahahamwhahahahahahahaaa-cack-cough-cough...

And, hm, this seem be all I am needing. Okay, there is also map but it is going be very small so I can handle it. Probably... Just need tips how to have enough z-levels because I am going into chinese kind of Hell. Or whatever had too many layers.

Ah, but for you. If anyone is interesting this idea, notice one thing. If doned right, it is huge spanning through many z-levels. Not only that. Every inch of map should be used, even bottom and top. Think that for a moment...

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 05:56:04 pm »

-Custom monsters from various mythos of Hell. If caravans can bring them they are even better. Easier place into right place.
-Custom plants and trees. Underground variants replacing current ones. Poisonous? Unnaturally cold or hot? Giving similar effects as those evil biome weather? Yep, want extra fun underground flora.
-Alchemical workshop with custom reactions for creating nasty stuff and fill levels with it. Also anything which sounds funny is right with me.
-Custom syndromes for creating interesting effects. Anything goes as long it is horrible. Especially something which revives deads back to life are... funny. Like again back to living one only to die horribly soon again... hehehehehahahahahahahamwhahahahahahahaaa-cack-cough-cough...

Modding isn't my forte, but the chemicals could probably be modified from things like gnomeblight which I believe melts gnomes alive, even though it can't be placed normally yet... giant plants that damage anyone within a square of them, may need to use trap-type coding for that... the raise dead could be like the already implemented necromancer, with a custom version of raising that either doesn't make them undead or at least raises zombies that can feel pain and still need to do everything  living creatures do... Oh, and I believe there needs to be some sort of device to make tornadoes... oh yes... much !!Fun!! will ensue....

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:00:52 pm »

Slowly starting my own version, in chinese style. Gives more freedom as one can invent own tortures. Okay, having also almost perfect world and site. Latter is flat, full of black sand, no plants, cold and nothing. Perfect, complety perfect. Also much of world is black sand. Everything looks.. gloomy, sinister, eerie, etc... And I have some plans...

Not sure of order, but I am complety sure what first layer is going have. It is sand, crappy wooden buildings, crappy wooden furniture and no food, no water and somewhere is trapped necromancer raising corpses. What are plans for first torture after everything else is set-up complety. Need modded stuff. For others I have these plans but not sure which layer is best one.

One layer should be all gold, all highest furniture. Trick? Guess what food and water stuff is too? Yep, gold and not healtly kind of. Probably everything is covered into vomit and such. Should there be also layer which produces this gold stuff? Trick? All furniture must be perfect or no food and everything is smelted down, even that only masterwork stuff. Not only that but you need smelt them yourself! Unless full quota is all perfect.

There are plans for...

-Disease included layer. Need customs.
-Just plain bloody one. Going need something gives out lots of blood.
-One with endless battle. Going need necromancer and someone with resurrection.
-Green glass drowning chamber, again with someone who can resurrect deads.
-Very fiery one or few.
-Fun with spikes.
-Chains? Hm, yep, one very unfriendly prison. Big bad things beating smaller things.
-Fun with magma.

I checked what kind of layers site has also:

-Black sand, lots of black sand.
-Basalt.
-Marble with orthoclase.
-Granite with tetrahedrite.
-Rhyolite with hematite.
-Dacite, gold and 1st cavern.
-More rhyolite at bottom of 1st cavern.
-Was it rhyolite?
-Andesite.
-Another basalt layer.
-Gabbro and gold.
-Gabbro and 2nd cavern.
-Phyllite at bottom of 2n cavern.
-Still phyllite.
-Diorite.
-3rd cavern with all diorite walls and magma pool.
-More diorite, diorite and diorite...
-Diorite...
-Magma sea with all-diorite walls.
-Yes, semi-molten rock, hehehe. Going be challenging...
-Slade...

Yep, those ale important because they gives out torture theme of each layers. Like I said, not going do Dante's inferno but chinese style with many many ways to torture...

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:09:15 pm »

From what I remember, Dante had different levels for different sins (and different areas for variants of those sins). But dwarves (or at least the overseers leading them) have different ethics than Dante did. So, what sins for what levels? And who says it only has to be 9 levels?

Some "dwarfy" sins for your consideration:
  • Leroy-impersonating marksdwarves
  • self-starving beekeepers
  • slade-demanding nobles
  • slacking doctors
  • layabout brokers
  • self-obstructing masons
  • kamikaze sock-hoarders
  • vampires (they're still dwarves too)
  • Useless immigrants
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:36:06 pm »

From what I remember, Dante had different levels for different sins (and different areas for variants of those sins). But dwarves (or at least the overseers leading them) have different ethics than Dante did. So, what sins for what levels? And who says it only has to be 9 levels?

Some "dwarfy" sins for your consideration:
  • Leroy-impersonating marksdwarves
  • self-starving beekeepers
  • slade-demanding nobles
  • slacking doctors
  • layabout brokers
  • self-obstructing masons
  • kamikaze sock-hoarders
  • vampires (they're still dwarves too)
  • Useless immigrants
don't forget elf-sympathizers and anyone who refuses to feed injured patients to go fish...