Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woodcrafter cancel Construct clear glass Blocks: needs sand-bearing item  (Read 1992 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My F*%&ing mayor want a block of clear glass for his bedroom, only Armok knows why.
So I built up the needed workshops and furnaces, but now, nobody wants to make that damned block. And the mayor is enraging, and I do not want to kill him because he has killed 42 Elves before moving to my fortress.
Looking in the wiki, I cannot understand what a sand-bearing item is.

Any help would be appreciated.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcrafter cancel Construct clear glass Blocks: needs sand-bearing item
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 11:55:35 am »

Sounds like you are missing the bag with sand in it.  Do you have a sand tile on your embark anywhere?  If so, you just need an empty bag and use the Gather Sand command from the glass furnace to collect the sand.  If not, you'll have to wait for the caravan to trade you some.

Reptillian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 11:56:26 am »

a sand bearing item would be a bag full of sand. get an emtpy bag, designate sand floor to sand spot, then ask them to gather the sand from the glass furnace. you will also need some pearlash for crystal glass.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Glass_industry

that link should explain it all in more detail

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 12:03:11 pm »

Yes, I tried to order to collect sand and it worked (although now I have to rush for pearlash).
I feel ashamed for thinking that sand collecting was autmated like fat pressing.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 01:17:24 pm »

Glass is also good if you want to make trap components without using up metal... not a very good wood alternative though because you need wood to make charcoal and you need charcoal (unless you have an abundance of mined coal, or a magma furnace) to make glass

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:12 pm »

I am currently designating the forges, I'll set up a magma Kiln and glass furnace ASAP
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 01:47:59 pm »

You can kinda automate with with manager: just ass the order "gather sand 30" every now and then and make bags (and/or claim kidnapper bags) to keep it going.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 02:42:12 pm »

The mayor demands a clear glass block in his bedroom? Really?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »

Well, he demanded bone cabinets from me, maybe he can demand uninstallable too, not only unmakeable?

You don't have to satisfy "demands" and often can't.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:01:47 pm »

You can sort of install a block by using it as a component in a well, ashery, or bridge, but everything else I've ever seen in a demand is a single thing that you can take from a stockpile to the desired room.

Do dwarves only ever demand materials or items they have a preference for? I've never seen a dwarf with a block preference either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 04:45:49 pm »

The mayor demands a clear glass block in his bedroom? Really?

Apart from this, so far it has been very reasonable. He mandated the export of cabinet (which I agree, I still have to provide cabinets for every dwarf) and required only 1 coin and a couple of chests, IIRC.

I decided to place a very specific stockpile in the bedroom that accepts only the blocks (that I suppose will destroy after the election - or use for a glass furnace since it's magma-proof).
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 07:09:43 pm »

Check the demand again. It's probably a glass _box_, i.e. a chest.

There's little need to pour great effort into fulfilling nobles' demands, and absolutely no need to kill them over it - the only consequence of ignored demands is a moderate unhappy thought, nobody gets punished.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 02:25:00 am »

Check the demand again. It's probably a glass _box_, i.e. a chest.

Yes, it's a box, I misread. Ok, a glass cabinet (I'd rather give him a real wardrobe, not a chest) will be.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 03:37:00 am »

Yes, it's a box, I misread. Ok, a glass cabinet (I'd rather give him a real wardrobe, not a chest) will be.
I don't understand that second sentence. To be clear, a "glass box" is a glass version of a chest, because insanity. When you tell the glass furnace to make something, it needs to be a glass box, not a glass cabinet. Sure, glass cabinets are awesome, but they won't satisfy your mayor.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 03:39:44 am »

I thought it would be the same.

Meanwhile, I forgot to delete the Glass Block order and now I have to repeat the process... DOH!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Pages: [1] 2