Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1129221 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Fistful of Silence
« Reply #6525 on: November 18, 2016, 10:01:31 pm »

"The Target is a Bond-Former, its power is comparable to River's. If we find the Target, we find something too strong for us to defend San. So either we fail to find it, River revives, and we have to deal with River while San's there, or we succeed, and have to deal with something as strong as River. Either way, we will be unable to protect him. And Ike doesn't know what happened to Vind, and I haven't been back long enough to find out on my own. I hope he's okay."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6526 on: November 18, 2016, 10:04:18 pm »

Theri crossed her legs and leaned gently on Irine. "What happens if we break the soulstone on the Target in anyway? We do need a way to work together on this one target though--any leads?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6527 on: November 18, 2016, 10:14:56 pm »

"Um, I don't understand your question. Why would we hit the Target with River's soulstone?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6528 on: November 18, 2016, 10:38:31 pm »

"I think Alan is influencing me. But there is a point there--River is...busy with stuff in it, the Target seems different from what corruption we've seen, so it's...as- in a way, wouldn't that both help River and probably provoke whatever is corrupting into getting the Target too?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6529 on: November 18, 2016, 11:33:23 pm »

"I don't think so. River's void-magic was the problem. The Target doesn't seem to have that kind of magic, so I don't think it'll affect him that way."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6530 on: November 19, 2016, 08:25:12 am »

Theri looked out onto the village from where she was for a few moments before replying.

"Could you...tell me how it all happened then? What happened after I was down, what happened to you after? Isn't there anything we can possibly do for River other than two big choices? There must be other ways we haven't thought about. This dimension is still malleable in that way--but also distinct in itself. I...also feel strange--I expect to feel disappointed but I just feel...neutral? about all this. Just thinking that there's still something we haven't done yet, going along hope. Who else found you and all?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6531 on: November 19, 2016, 11:10:02 am »

"What happened after you went down? The Voidbeast shifted targets to me. It chased me through the town, me burning it as much as I could the entire way, and it was screaming 'Mine' as it did so. but eventually it cornered me, and began to consume me into itself, so I used my secret, temporarilly gaining a ton of power, though with little control, and cut loose with it, incinerating the voidbeast entirely, leaving nothing left, and causing a lot of collateral damage. then a few moments after that, River's soulsphere appeared. I took it, and went to the nearest source of fire magic, needing to heal from a lot of self-infliected damage that was a side-effect of the secret, and from where the Voidbeast had ripped my guts open as it caught me. In the special state I was in, a strong source of fire magic would heal me far better than any healer could, and I wasn't able to think clearly anyway. So I went to the chamber the fire sword was in, and in there I collapsed and lost consiousness. I was down there unconsious ever since then, I only woke up today. Ike found me."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6532 on: November 20, 2016, 08:21:58 pm »

Grapples!  Give them all grapples so they can pull each other up (and maybe the first couple cling on to me.  And ideally incorporate them into close range combat routines.

If the hole needs to be bigger, manually control one of the robots to use its laser to widen the hole.  Should be able to technosense control it and borrow some sensors, right?

You give all your robots grappling hooks and winches. They can't use them automatically as part of their normal combat routines though, you have to order them to activate it. They'll need a bit of micromanaging to use them effectively in combat.
Now I'm imagining mini-tanks yelling "Get over here!"

You order your tanks to grapple the tank in front of them and have the lead tank grapple you. You're not sure if this is the most effective strategy but it sure looks fun. That done you start climbing the "root". Touching it feels very strange. The overall... "smell" once could say of the feeling kinda reminds you of how your spear feels, but the feelings you get from it are much fainter and don't translate into anything you can understand. It feels corrupted. Wrong. Being so close to it is starting to feel like a bad idea. But you're already halfway up now. Too late to go back.

You make it the rest of the way up. You inspect the room while your bots drag themselves up, using their wheels to aid their winch. The current room appears to have once served as secure storage but was latter converted for other uses, such as sleeping in and storing food and water in sizable containers.

There was definitely some sort of fight here. Or maybe slaughter is the correct term. There are corpses torn in half or have had their heads torn apart, blood spattered on the walls and pooling on the floor, bodies impaled on and partially absorbed by the "branches" of the root... It's like the aftermath of a splatter film in here. There are very few shell casings on the ground. Whatever did this either worked quickly or chose its targets well.

All the doors out of the room are thick metal things that are sealed shut. So whatever did all this must have come from outside. And could still be here. However a quick scan of this and the nearby rooms reveals nothing moving. Just more corpses and more branches that have wormed their way through the walls and vents. Well, at least it looks like going through the tunnel was the right choice since it let you bypass these doors.

<It looks like John used root escalation to bypass security.>
<Haha! Oh, nice one!>
<Please stop corrupting the boy with your lame sense of humor.>

The room you're looking for is probably the one right above this one. It looks like it was the target of the root. There are banks and banks of humming machinery in there. You've never seen so many knobs. There are rows of computer screens and workstations at one edge that remind you of pictures you've seen of the NASA control centre in the old Apollo program days. The roots have breached the plastic cases around the workstations and most of their screens have gone dark or display only static. The root has wrapped itself around the metal stairway leading up into the room as if to anchor itself, deforming it slightly.

Saevus, After the End

No reason not to continue. Onwards!
Your journey through the buildings is surprisingly uneventful. You do not know if it is luck or something else helping you, but you do not encounter a single soul on your journey. Despite that, you keep getting the feeling that you're being watched, as if there's someone following you.

You reach the edge of the residential area and find yourself facing the aftermath of some sort of magical disaster. A large raincloud is hanging in the air, illuminated by occasional flashes of lightning surging inside it. It is constantly feeding water into an overflowing crater on the ground and it's showing no signs of dissipating. The boiling water escapes the crater burning everything in its path, while clouds of steam escaping from it reduce visibility. If this continues, this place will slowly but surely perish.

You feel yourself drawn to a building atop a nearby artificial hill that has not yet been reached by the boiling lake. You feel like going there might be important.

WMD, After the End

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then feed him love and other plant-essential things in non-lethal amounts! Bug various townspeople (if we got out of the well, I'm slightly unsure about that) until they point me to a gardener to pester for advice.
How exactly do you feed a plant love? Kiss it? Kill people that are in love and extract their love essence?

Sword got all of you out.

The people around here have no use for gardeners, but there are lots of farmers around. None of them know what this plant is though. They suggest watering it just enough to keep its core moist and keeping it out of direct sunlight during midday to avoid having its leaves get damaged by the heat. They also suggest that if this is a magical plant and you can figure out what kind of element it belongs to, then you should probably plant it in an area where that element is strong to get the fastest growth and the best produce possible out of it.

Looking super important is part of the job as a serious adventurer! Break the armor in a little. See if I can get some assistance in fitting it and such. Practice my moves with my sword in the armor until the rest of these fools are ready to roll!

EDIT: Though also, if possible, listen in on my surroundings as I do so. Anything ominous now that we're in a slightly less disorganized shape?

The local blacksmith tries to help you with the armour but he soon comes to the conclusion that it cannot be altered. It can certainly bend, it's not completely rigid, but it cannot bend permanently. He says it's most likely enchanted armour crafted made out of some probably magical material. He has no idea what it is or how to work it though. It could have more enchantments protecting it that activate under certain conditions. He knows that protection from fire is a common one, but that's as far as his knowledge about magical armour goes. Still, he does manage to attach some pieces of leather and cloth to it that make it a lot more comfortable to wear. You comment that you'd expect magical armour to automatically fit the wearer. He responds that maybe it does but you simply lack the knowledge of how to activate that function. Or perhaps its user didn't believe that they could die and that someone else could wear their armour. After all, mages do tend to have an overinflated ego. He suggest you best be careful with it. He doesn't trust metal that has been altered by magic, because you never know what it might do. Even fine, legendary metal such as this.

While practicing with your armour, you discover one such hidden function. When something is coming towards you or you're running towards something, you can flex your left hand in the right gesture while bringing it close to your chest and what looks like a shield made of glass will form in front of it for about half a second. It seems pretty sturdy and good for parrying or maybe bashing things. While it does well against most physical attacks, your sword is able to shred it into tiny fragments very quickly.

There's nothing terribly ominous around. Things certainly seem a bit darker around here, the mood worse than it was a few days ago as people realise things won't get better any time soon. But there does not appear to be anything downright concerning about this. People are still holding on, working hard, trying to get their lives back in order one piece at a time, even though they know it will be slow and hard work. Because really, what else can they do? Give up and die?

Maybe the weather is getting to them. Today has been a bit gloomy. Some distant wind has filled the sky with dust, creating a giant layer of dust where the clouds would normally be. The diffuse light coming through the layer of dust has turned the sky into a mostly uniform greybrown sheet. The almost omnidirectional light blurs shadows, causing them to almost disappear. It's enough to make even you feel a bit uneasy. But your keen senses reveal no danger to you. No distant screams, no clatter of arms, no rumbling of the ground, no unearthly shrieks, no shadows in the sky. Just this feeling.

"I won't take you if you don't want to--but put in mind that your family such as your dad will always be looking for you. I could also tell my companions about your concern and we can head out to find them; did either of you talk on where to meet or what plans you have in mind if you were both separated? Any landmarks or otherwise? I forgot where we were going (I'll ask them later when they come back)--but we plan to leave this area if everything is alright in the coming week.

"Is there anything else worrying you or anything you might need?"

Attempt to conduct PFA! Also continue chatting.
in which psychological first aid is a thing. Haa!
"Well, if you are leaving soon... Then maybe you can help me find my father? He said he would be going to the Hills of Midnight to join the other soldiers. If I could find him there then I would not have to be alone."

"Hunuh? How?"

talking to the sword here, which I assume I'm keeping with me everywhere I go.
<Are you able to tell the difference between me and the remnant of D speaking through me?>

((note: in case it wasn't clear, although D was welcome, D's remanant is not. It is taking control and isn't really him, isn't really a person like D was, and as such cannot be trusted. D earned Irine's trust, D's remnant has only expressed itself by taking control of bits of her speech, making her say things she wouldn't. To her that is a VERY hostile act. She considers it an enemy until proven otherwise.))
<We cannot. We sense no change currently occurring within you that we can reverse, no physical disease that we could heal and no outside influence that we can protect you from. We can strengthen your soul or parts of it but that would almost certainly not help. Whatever happened to you, whatever changed occurred to you, it happened in your past and is part of you now.>

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6533 on: November 20, 2016, 08:34:10 pm »

Saevus, After the End

A feeling that it may be important is better than nothing. Let's go. Be very vigilant.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6534 on: November 20, 2016, 08:52:33 pm »

WMD, After the End

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6535 on: November 20, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »

Alan, plant helper extraordinaire!

"Kay. How can I find out what type of magician Bill And Ted is? If he's my magic thing, I think he'd be ... what did the general say ... clutter? Yeah, clutter magic!"

Alan hums in thought.

"How do I find a magician tester ... maybe Ike would know! His ears can surely hear the resonance of a wizard's moustache on the desert winds!"

Off to find Ike again! Pester him about where I could find a magician tester to figure out what Hogwarts house magic type Bill And Ted is.
Oh, and ask Rickman too, if I happen by him.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6536 on: November 20, 2016, 11:04:51 pm »

"It is my belief that no physical sacrifice of self, up to and including death, matters when death is only temporary. I can finally be free of fear."
"Exactly! Well done man, you really get what I'm saying."
"Ah, but what good is a victory if you're not around to see it? If you can't enjoy it? If it's more trouble than it's worth?"
"A victory is a victory. You sacrifice everything to win. Otherwise you're just a loser."
"And where do the sacrifices stop? If you're ok with your death and you're OK with the deaths of others, then how far would you go for victory? Your friends? Your mind? Your soul? Your happiness? Everything until you end up as a victory seeking machine like him?"
"Well, that's why you try to be good at what you do. If you're good enough you won't have to make sacrifices. Besides, as long as things can be fixed, they're not really broken, so there's no reason to bitch about them."
"Even so, you cannot be fearless. There are things worse than death."
"Eh, probably. But as long as you're alive, it means that you can deal with your problems and have a chance to fix them."
"But isn't the same true for losing? Even if you lose, you might still have a chance to try again, to make things right."

"Victory isn't everything. I understand that. I fought a bronze colossus one time. Bloody tough. After the fifth time I got slammed into a wall, I realized I wasn't hurting it at all and fled. I never fought a bronze colossus again after that. Far too hard for my fists. It was better to preserve myself and go onto other fights than fight a fight I knew I could not win. Now, though? What is a loss when a death means nothing?"

"Things worse than death, though. Perhaps. Living on when one's entire nation has been massacred by a zombie army. Becoming a vampire, or a thrall. I can see that. But does that sort of thing really apply to me now?"
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6537 on: November 20, 2016, 11:43:30 pm »

John; After the End

Split the squad, half covering any entrances (sealed or no) and half covering that root.  Not trustworthy.

Meanwhile, check the least broken computers.  Can I technosense anything that pertains to the goal in the host's memories?

<It looks like John used root escalation to bypass security.>

((10/10))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 11:48:17 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6538 on: November 20, 2016, 11:45:00 pm »

<I was afraid of that. Well, you know it's an issue. We'll deal with it best as we can.>
response to the sword

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6539 on: November 21, 2016, 05:40:21 am »

Campaign, Ike!

Listen for the resonance of a wizard's mustache on the desert winds once Alan asks me to assist.

If that doesn't work, look around for somebody who knows a thing or two about what these element things are and where you can find some.
Pages: 1 ... 434 435 [436] 437 438 ... 521