Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1128692 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Let's get ready to rumble!
« Reply #3615 on: March 04, 2015, 11:36:14 am »

((Should I keep rolling with the same action until one of you manages to hit the other? Because right now you both keep rolling the same and missing for some reason.))
((It feels like you're saying that our characters are incompetent, but yeah, sounds good.))
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:00 am »

Good. Always good to have new players.
There's no waitlist, you can just hop in when I have approved your character. In fact, I could put you in the second chance Tournament round so that you can claim the title if you want.

However, there is a small problem. I don't have the time to evaluate your abilities right now and assign a number on them, but they are very powerful, so they would probably rank very low in the negatives. So you'd have to take some very high penalties to compensate, something like being a frail old man confined to a wheelchair. Are you OK with that? Do you perhaps have any sort of penalty you would prefer to have?

What about throwing out enchanting and making evocation unlockable at a later time? Is that enough of a nerf?

On a side note: Being a (enchanted)wheelchair man on turboboost through liberal use of magic is kind of cool :D

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3617 on: March 04, 2015, 12:32:47 pm »

"But that's a waterskin! There's almost nothing left in the hide worth eating, and you're going to make a hole in it! Look, even if we can't get anything here, I'll try to find you something, ok? I promise."

Ike puts away the waterskin, clearly dejected.

"Okay, massah. You always know best, massah."

Okay then, don't eat the waterskin. Think of delicious nachos anyway. Start to mildly tear up at massah's rebuke, try to futilely hide my fragile emotional state. Use thought of nacho unattainability to inspire me.
((Is that a charisma roll? I think that's a charisma roll. I'm going to roll.))

You look down and hunch over, trying to hide your face contorted with pure sadness and the tears welling up in your eyes. Muffled crying escape your mouth and you sniff occasionally, each sniff and sob causing you to sway slightly, as if ready to fall. Your arms remain wrapped around your body defensively, part of them covering your stomach.

If all else fails, you can always start a career as an actor. Or a beggar.

"Ike..."
I sigh before returning to finish my conversation with the guards.

after speaking with Ike:
"Anyway, um, I don't really have a good way to verify my intentions. I'm traveling on a private matter. Our luggage was destroyed, which is why we are low on supplies. Um..."
I pause and think on my next words for a bit, giving him a chance to interrupt me or make a suggestion that I could honestly follow.
The young guard looks at you and then at Ike and then at the older guard and then at you again, getting more tense as he does so.
"Damn it man, do you have no pity?" he finally exclaims.
"He's obviously faking it."
"No man can fake that. We are not animals. We can't just let others suffer just because it would make our lives a little easier."
"Better us than them."
"Look, I'm taking personal responsibility-"
"We won't care about where the blame lies if we're dead. I'm not letting them through."
He sighs as he approaches you and Ike and extends his hand.
"Come with me."

He turns around to face the older guard, who has drawn his sword. It looks like the dull edge meant for blocking has been molten slightly by something at some point.
"Step aside." he asks.
The older guard does not move.
They stare at each other for a few seconds.
Then the younger guard stars walking towards the older one.
"You'll have to use that thing in your hands if you want to stop me." he says a couple of steps away from him.
The older guard steps out of the way, grunting and shaking his head slightly, just as the younger one was about to walk into his sword. Not that it would have done anything with his armour and the speed he was going.
"Idiot." the older guard mutters as the younger one walks by him.

"Don't expect me to come rescue you when you screw everything up. I'll just get my backpack and get out of here." the older guard says as you move away.

Once you take a few more steps, away from the perimeter and closer to the camp proper, he takes a deep breath and exhales before speaking to you again.
"Don't mind him. After a while Guardsmen start thinking everything is a magical fiend trying to kill them. The stress of the job, you know. And people have not been very happy with magic users in general after what happened. Funny how quickly people can change their mind, right?" he asks with a forced smile. He's trying to hide the tension visible in his body and voice and the fact that he is trembling slightly. It makes him look even younger. You'd say he looks probably a bit older than 16.

Campaign

Zechariah sighs, knowing that this would be a tough thing to go through. Meditate? Sure, he could do that, but he didn't think that would be enough for this kind of energy usage. No, he needed to be at peace with himself. He couldn't even remember the last time he was truly peaceful. Before the Battle, he was spun around in circles, whirled around by different people every day. Look over here, they said. Look over there, he says. Look at me, she says. So many unique persons that he had to console and spend time with and fight against and beg to be on his side. So many dangerous situations where the wrong word or action could destroy the universe. He wasn't old enough to deal with all of that.

Yet he was bestowed the title of "Medium," and left alone to figure out what the hell was going on and to fight a mysterious, unbeatable force known as the Shadow. Suffice to say, it was a stressful time.
He slowly walked around, looking at the ground and pondering what he should bring up. After a small while, he sat down on top of the rocks and began to speak, running his hands over the rough terrain below him.

"I I didn't - I couldn't have a person to bond with. It wasn't in my nature. It was... against what I was meant to do. I was going to be the bridge between all of the Guardians and Mediums, the focal point, the Weaver of the Connections. I kept people together, but at a price: I couldn't actually become close to anyone. The only person I could be close to was Artemis, and he was the exact reason why everyone had issues with me. And, well... I don't really have many good memories about Artemis. He was a mixed bag. I'd prefer to rather not talk about what he's done.

"So, yes, I don't really have a bondmate. Everyone else who I could consider to be 'close' has some bad memories associated with them, too. I guess.. hm."
Zechariah pauses, unsure of what to say. What did he really have to signify his inner peace? There was no rest for him, no ability to.. wait.
There was one place where he was free to be who he wanted. He could design anything without restrictions. He could make up new laws of physics and destroy the old ones. He could be a god and a beggar at the same time. It was the dream sphere that he himself was connected to, the same sphere that connected all of the different multiverses that he knew together.

"I... there was one place. It was a place of silence and peace. A place that I could be in the void or I could watch colors fly all around me. I could embrace a swarm of colorful fireflies, or I could design entire cities made out of completely new materials and elements. I could do anything. It was like a dream, but I could always control it. It was the Medium. It was something magical that connected me to every living being, but also shut me off from everything that ever existed. I could be at peace. I could fly when I wanted and change directions at will. I could make things appear and be destroyed simply by thinking about it.

"Besides Artemis and a couple of other people, it was completely empty. It was just me and my thoughts and creations. It was a perfect universe. I knew that it didn't translate to anything that was real. But it provided me a place of concentration, relaxation, and enjoyment. It just... clicked with me. It was separated from everything, but also connected to everything that ever lived.

It was just like me."

He looks really confused when you mention you couldn't have a person to bond with, but says nothing. He looks a lot more interested in the second part of your speech though.
"I... understand. That place... the 'Staging Area' as they call it. I relish it. Having the chance to use my abilities to create. What you describe sounds... pleasant."

OOC
I was kinda wishing Ike would roll a 1 so I could have him go bananaz and start laughing maniacally. Oh well.

I assumed you were going to follow the guard and remain quiet or at least do nothing that would prevent the confrontation, so I just kept writing to keep things moving.

Irrelevant: I found an image for Alan:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Should I keep rolling with the same action until one of you manages to hit the other? Because right now you both keep rolling the same and missing for some reason.))
((It feels like you're saying that our characters are incompetent, but yeah, sounds good.))
I'm saying that your rolls are frustrating me because they keep coming up like this (simplified example follows)
Hawk dex: Low
Alarith rflx: High
Alarith dex: Low
Hawk rflx: High
so nothing keeps happening. Even when one of you has a bonus or a penalty, you keep missing.
Hopefully Alan will be resurrected once Zechariah finishes with River so that his ghost can stop haunting other players.

There's no waitlist, you can just hop in when I have approved your character. In fact, I could put you in the second chance Tournament round so that you can claim the title if you want.

However, there is a small problem. I don't have the time to evaluate your abilities right now and assign a number on them, but they are very powerful, so they would probably rank very low in the negatives. So you'd have to take some very high penalties to compensate, something like being a frail old man confined to a wheelchair. Are you OK with that? Do you perhaps have any sort of penalty you would prefer to have?

What about throwing out enchanting and making evocation unlockable at a later time? Is that enough of a nerf?

On a side note: Being a (enchanted)wheelchair man on turboboost through liberal use of magic is kind of cool :D
I'm not saying I'm not allowing your character. Just saying that according to the system I have for grading abilities for balance reasons, anything more than a simple +2 bonus to a major stat or equivalent has a chance of giving you negative traits for balance reasons. And the higher your power and versatility, the more your chances for negative traits increase.

That being said, you want time manipulation for things like slowing people/objects down or speeding yourself up correct? You simply select an area to affect or do you have to touch it or recite a spell? Or do you want me to decide whatever I want? So that I know how to grade it.

Oh, and I hope you have read the part of the first post saying that things that would be hard for me to manage like time-travel are completely impossible, at least to the players.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:36:58 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: March 04, 2015, 12:40:23 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

Follow while sobbing unless Irine makes an effort to comfort me. Sob less in that event, but still a noticeable amount.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: March 04, 2015, 12:45:44 pm »

((It's beautiful.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: March 04, 2015, 12:51:02 pm »

I'm not saying I'm not allowing your character. Just saying that according to the system I have for grading abilities for balance reasons, anything more than a simple +2 bonus to a major stat or equivalent has a chance of giving you negative traits for balance reasons. And the higher your power and versatility, the more your chances for negative traits increase.

That being said, you want time manipulation for things like slowing people/objects down or speeding yourself up correct? You simply select an area to affect or do you have to touch it or recite a spell? Or do you want me to decide whatever I want? So that I know how to grade it.

Oh, and I hope you have read the part of the first post saying that things that would be hard for me to manage like time-travel are completely impossible, at least to the players.
I don't want time travel :D Yes - speeding up and slowing people and things down (and on later levels of the ability speeding or slowing down physical processes [chemistry for example]).
I want to be a 'DnD style' wizard - so recitation of spells (stronger effects taking more time of course) and AOE or touch attacks as applicable.
My character can be impaired in the physical stats, all I need him to do is move on his own strength.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: March 04, 2015, 02:18:17 pm »

"Yeah, human nature is a scary thing. Makes people difficult to trust. Why the comment on magic users though? Are we going to meet one?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: March 04, 2015, 02:52:45 pm »

Reabsorb the spikes, then convert my body into effectively a hard shell made of carapace. My brain will be located directly in the center. If I still have biomass, coat the outside of my shelter with spikes.

I'm going to squish anything that stands in my way.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3623 on: March 04, 2015, 03:19:38 pm »

Campaign

Campaign, Ike!

Follow while sobbing unless Irine makes an effort to comfort me. Sob less in that event, but still a noticeable amount.
"Yeah, human nature is a scary thing. Makes people difficult to trust. Why the comment on magic users though? Are we going to meet one?"
He leans closer to you so that he can talk more quietly.
"Aren't you one? I dunno why but you give me a mage vibe." he asks as you continue walking.
"There's no reason to hide it from me. Us mages got to stick together, help each other out, right?" he says, pointing to your chest and then to his while smiling slightly.
"The people here could really use any help you'd be willing to offer."

He moves further away from you and continues talking normally.
"Yes, if you want a magic user, you're looking right at him." he says with a bit of pride.
"Well, barely, I'm not that powerful." he continues a bit more meekly.
"But it was enough to get me in the Tower, even as a guard, so..."
He doesn't complete his sentence, raising his shoulders instead.

"Anyway, I'll take you to the medical tent. Make sure everything is fine and that you two get some food and shelter. Probably going to have some roomates, hope you don't mind."
He briefly looks at Ike as he says that, who is still sobbing.
"After that, I got to get back to my post. But hey, Kassiver will probably be there. He can probably help you with anything you need. Within reason."

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:09:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: March 04, 2015, 03:50:50 pm »

Ride forwards like before.

(I'd like to get back to fighting again, so could you arrange a sorta "heart-to-heart?")
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:08:25 am by Salsacookies »
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:43 pm »

((I am fine with the continued rolling for my character as well.))
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: March 04, 2015, 10:06:57 pm »

"That is fine, thank you."
follow to medical tent

just before the guard leaves us, I gently grab the guard's arm and tug him downwards. When he lowers his head I whisper in his ear:
"Your vibes are a very powerful tool, and you've done no harm this time, for I truly mean no ill, but your vibes don't distinguish between a mage and a powerful magical creature."
I then release him and watch to see how he reacts to this information.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:11:33 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

Follow massah sadly. Slowly calm down.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3628 on: March 05, 2015, 11:28:02 am »

Oh, just a reminder to everyone, if you want to defend in a way other than the default (usually dodging/taking cover) you can state so. Or if you want a different action for other parts of the battle, like attacking at the same time. It might make a difference (positive or negative).

Toaster VS Wolfkit
"Oh, it's you again. How disappointing, I was hoping to find you in a less than alive state."

((The lack of competence being displayed in these matches is quite astonishing.))
"I shall disappoint you, then!  And probably take some sort of pleasure in it!"

Spoiler: Nah, I'm good (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: @Toaster (click to show/hide)

Welroki, finding himself in a disadvantageous position, immediately turns tail and runs in the opposite direction. John gets partially out of cover, using his half finished shield made out of layered plastic to protect himself as he opens fire. Welroki manages to open the door just as John starts firing. However, it appears that the concept of shields is a bit confusing to John, since he starts firing through his shield, melting a nice hole in it while hitting nothing.

Spoiler: @Toaster (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: @Wolfkit (click to show/hide)

Hawk132 VS Alarith

((I am fine with the continued rolling for my character as well.))
Okay, let's see what happens. I bet the first roll I make you'll end up hitting each other, just to mess with me.
((*rolls* Hm. Ok. So it wasn't the first one. Let's see how many combat turns it takes...
*rolls*
*rolls* This one made me think something was going to happen. Unfortunately it didn't.))

The two opponents trade blow for a long minute but remain hesitant, always remaining at a distance so that they can get out of the way of the enemy's blows. Seeing that Saevus' greater reach aids him in that regard, Bryan attempts to close in for the kill before he starts getting tired. Saevus tries to avoid the blow and he almost succeeds, with the blade hitting his armour at an awkward angle and bouncing off harmlessly. Bryan ducks out of Saevus' retaliatory strike, barely managing to retain his balance.

((*rolls* Of course they made equal strength rolls. Because doing otherwise would make this too easy.))

Saevus tries to take advantage of this to attack, but in an incredible display of speed, Bryan raises his sword to do the same. The blades meet each other in ways blades weren't meant to meet, scarring one another deeply. The two warrior push as hard as they can, trying to get the other to succumb or push them inside one of the nearby holes on the road. Despite Saevus' strength, Bryan manages to hold him back, barely. Evenly matched, they both give one great shove to each other while jumping backwards, getting away from each other.

((*rolls*
*rolls*
*rolls* There were a lot of counterattacks here.))

Saevus and Bryan, clearly as frustrated as the GM, run towards each other and attempt to hit each other with quick slashes, caring less about strength and finesse and more about hitting their opponent. Their poor stance and all out attacks leads them to being open to counter-attacks, but neither of them appears capable of capitalizing on that. By the end Bryan is grunting from the effort. This is starting to become tiring.

((*rolls*
*rolls* Oh dear, that was a lot of rolls. Luck is trolling me.))

Bryan charges Saevus and attacks him with a sloppy diagonal slash from below. Saevus sidesteps to dodge the blow and brings his sword low so that he Bryan's momentum causes him to embed his chest in it. But Bryan is not deterred, using his swing's momentum to twist his body, barely avoiding the tip of Saevus' sword, while at the same time positioning himself for an overhead strike at Saevus' side, pushing the blade down towards Saevus' head. With no time to raise his sword to block and no time to dodge, Saevus instead twists his body and moves backwards so that the blade hits his shoulder instead. The sword cuts deep and gets embedded in the wound, breaking apart some of the magical runes on Saevus' armour in a shower of colourful sparks. Using that hand is going to be a bit more difficult. At least it's not the golden one.

((And after all that, all we got is that Bryan is tired and Saevus has an injured arm. Let's hope the curse is broken for now.))

Coolrune206 VS Salsacookies

Ride forwards like before.

(I'd like to get back to fighting again, so could you arrange a sorta "heart-to-heart?")
*rimshot*

Reabsorb the spikes, then convert my body into effectively a hard shell made of carapace. My brain will be located directly in the center. If I still have biomass, coat the outside of my shelter with spikes.

I'm going to squish anything that stands in my way.
I was tempted to take this action literally, but because I'm nice and I do not want this to take forever, I won't turn you into a giant sea urchin.

I don't want time travel :D Yes - speeding up and slowing people and things down (and on later levels of the ability speeding or slowing down physical processes [chemistry for example]).
I want to be a 'DnD style' wizard - so recitation of spells (stronger effects taking more time of course) and AOE or touch attacks as applicable.
My character can be impaired in the physical stats, all I need him to do is move on his own strength.
Okay then, I'll work on it when I have some time and send you a PM. Probably sometime in the weekend. Prod me a bit if I don't, sometimes I get busy and forget things.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:31:01 pm by Parisbre56 »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: March 05, 2015, 11:29:26 am »

((Nonono, you misunderstood. I WANTED to turn into a spherical sea urchin. I wanted to turn into a sphere covered with spikes! :C Oh well, I'll just get to work.))

Ram into him as hard as I can. If I have teeth, bite into him, tear him off the wall, then release him.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 521