Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1127702 times)

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: At Doom's Gate
« Reply #2925 on: November 11, 2014, 10:49:10 am »

"Thank you. My name is a relic of bygone ages of my culture, that I could only find through extensive research. By which I mean that I slammed my assistants face against a keyboard for a few minutes. Or was it one of the funny sounds he made while I was mashing his face against the keyboard? I can't remember. I can't remember what my name before that was either, except it was quite funny when I suddenly stopped responding to my old name. Took about a month for the residents of the city to figure out what my new name was. And also provided an excellent excuse to ignore them when I accidentally disabled the main repulsor-engine. Which I did fix and improve within 5 minutes, but they only remember the bit about the city falling half a kilometer. Anyway, the point is that all of the best history is written by mashing keyboards with other people's bodies for no apparent reason.

Not that I have that out of the way, do you mind telling me your name?"

Sit down
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2926 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:03 pm »

Campaign

Campaign - Smartest Man Alive

Quick! Emergency plan activate! Summon hair spray and a lighter, and use the flamethrower this combination yields to set the silly string on fire!
Then continue running away.

You start trying to summon a can of hairspray and a lighter as you get up. You get them, after a few moments. In that time the creatures around you have freed themselves fully and are now approaching you.

You try the lighter. It's not working. It produces sparks but you just can't get any fire. Maybe it's the stress or maybe you just don't know how to properly operate a lighter. This one is child-proof, after all.

Luckily for you, Irene has your back. A ball of fire ignites the silly string, causing it to go off in a small explosion. It doesn't cause too much damage but it works as a distraction. The ball of fire continues to move around near you, hitting targets at random and preventing them from approaching you, clearing a path for you.

You keep running, but you are still surrounded and not the most agile of people. And that swordsman is still in your way.

A flash of red light announces River's arrival to your aid. Whatever magic he used allowed him to clear a path to you, causing the creatures in his way to back off. The left part of his fur and clothes appear to have been slightly burnt by something.

"Keep moving." he barks the command to you as he overtakes you, moving towards the swordsman.

He ducks under the swordsman's strike and tries to grab him, but he merely manages to push him away. Out of your way. You overtake them and keep running. A few seconds later you hear a yelp, followed by another flash of red light.

Irine, Campaign

Formation unchanged, but my defensive orb is to be send to provide our Prodigal Boxman some cover. focus on attacking any squids that are getting their tendrils on him, don't go for the kill unless they refuse to let go or I have nothing better to do to protect him.

Physically, I keep running with the group for the portal.

You do your best to maintain awareness of your surroundings as you run towards the portal. After all, a great part of your ability relies on knowing where things are relative to you and one's mind can only estimate so much.

Your support towards Alan buys him some breathing space, enough for River to get there and start helping him. Together they continue to run, making their way towards you and towards the portal. River falls behind to distract a swordsman and you loose sight of him as you focus on helping Alan. A few seconds later, you hear a yelp. Searching for the source of the noise, you see River, with a parasite wrapping its tendrils around his left arm and leg and the sword of the swordsman embedded in his raised right arm, sacrificed to protect his head from the chop. He drags the swordsman closer, bites the parasite controlling the man's body and emits a flash of red light. A moment later, you can see him running after Alan, noticeably slower than before, his right arm limp while his left applies pressure to the wound. Where he was standing there are only burning corpses.

Campaign

Focus! Reassemble the shield array and...

Manipulate and/or create light shields to defend the sides and top of anyone who is accompanying me. Focus my mind on this task, I need as much energy as I can to maintain the shields and calculate them accordingly to be efficient with the hardlight distribution. Still, watch where I'm going. Wouldn't want to walk into the enemy, would I?

Continue with the last action, pretty much.
Red alert! Shields up!

You manage to make a very nice shield array. You start using it to shove the parasites back, moving it quickly forwards and then immediately backwards every time one approaches it, so that they don't get a chance to grab them. This is helping to ease the strain on Irene's firewall. After all, she's boosting it with any fire she can manage and trying not to waste any fire, but it is slowly weakening with every parasite it touches.

Campaign

"Zech, shields up."

Loot that zombie's sword and give it to Theri. She could make good use of a sword. Unless she prefers to use a knife for some reason. If that's the case, store it in my scabbard.

Stay with group, use walking stick for support. Try to be extra careful.
Tsar-slash anything that gets near. Or regular slash if I have to.

If Zech's shields falter (from enemies breaking through, not from magical impotency), then repair, strengthen, and enlarge them with my power.

I see you're already in the adventurer mindset, looting everything you can whenever you can. Keep up the good work. And get a pack mule.

You decide to keep the sword for now.

Zechariah and Irene are actually doing pretty good. Nothing trying to kill you so far. Well, nothing trying to kill you that is close enough for you to do anything, anyway. You just watch as an unarmed octo-zombie is pushed away by one of Zechariah's shields, his limbs flailing like a ragdoll's.

Campaign, Ike!

"Wily little octopuses. Probably quicker than they look, too."

Spoiler: IkeNotes (click to show/hide)

Be ready to dodge a lot as I move on toward the portal in the aforementioned circling manner.

Try to adjust my course so that I can potentially assist Alan in passing. Even if that would seem a dangerous thing like few others.

Some of the creatures move closer to you, but you easily change your course and move through them before they have a chance to do anything.
Hm. That wasn't so hard. Wonder what all the big fuss is about.
With almost none of the creatures in your way, it is easy to run full speed and take a circuitous route to the portal and the others, passing by the small encampment in the process.

Everyone
The area around the portal is mostly clean of those creatures. Most of them that get this close go through it almost immediately.

Its shape isn't much different from up close. Just a tall and wide pillar-like thing with rounded edges. Said edges are still made of light that has a red and purple hue. However the rest of the portal appears more like a doorway or a window now. You can see "through" it, even though it seems to be distorting the "image" a bit.

You can't see the entirety of the room on the other side of the portal. But from what you can see, it's a large rectangular room with a floor made out of red and brown blocks, with a black block a few metres away from the portal standing out from the rest. There are also some irregular dark red or yellowish pools of liquid on the floor. Blood, you'd guess.
The walls are made from the same brown rock and have alcoves with something moving in them.
There's a large wooden door on the other side of the room. It is open, showing a hallway that immediately bends right.
The ceiling is very high.
There's probably a window or other light source in some part of the room you can't see from here, as shown by the fact that most objects have two shadows.
You can see things moving in there. Mind controlled people and octopuses, most of them moving away from the portal.

OOC
Videos found while searching for silly string and fire: http://youtu.be/CPnX-hx94OU http://youtu.be/wWE9EmcV__8
Turns out that thing isn't very safe.
((I did not expect this to happen.))

((... does anyone have some duct tape?))
If it helps, with Salsacookie's rolls, there was probably no IC action you could take that could save you.

EDIT: Wow, that post had a lot of errors in it. I must have been half-asleep when I was writing it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 07:34:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: November 11, 2014, 11:36:43 pm »

Irine, Campaign

I recollect my flames then split them into three orbs, the first one I send through the portal and attempt to maintain control of it as it passes through and afterwards, aiming for the wooden door and creatures on the other side to provide me with some more fuel. the second, if the first is successfull, goes through right afterwards, if it is not, then I recomine both orbs and try to have them pass through at the same time as I do. if I can control flame through the portal, then the last orb comes through behind us, being used to prevent pursuit and assist stragglers.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: November 12, 2014, 11:54:11 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"This is probably a very poor idea!"

Proceed! Let us go Beyond the Dark Portal. Focus on dodging once on the other side.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: November 12, 2014, 03:08:12 pm »

Campaign, The Twoface of Luck

Well, if I'm going to an alternate dimension I should look good.

Give myself a few spritzes of hairspray, then charge mah lazor step through.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: November 12, 2014, 04:08:29 pm »

Nikolai: Campaign
Through the portal.

Keep performing this action because we're not safe yet.

Stay with group, use the walking stick for support. Try to be extra careful.
Tsar-slash anything that gets near. Or regular slash if I have to.

If Zech's shields falter (from enemies breaking through, not from magical impotency), then repair, strengthen, and enlarge them with my power.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 11:33:36 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: November 12, 2014, 06:58:18 pm »

Try to get in one of the abandoned houses. If I can, keep an eye on the rest of the group.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: November 12, 2014, 11:08:53 pm »

Campaign

"Move through! I'll keep my shields with us!"

Move through the portal, keeping the shields around the group as best as I can. Once I am through, rearrange the shields to face 210 degrees to my front and sides.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: November 13, 2014, 03:43:51 am »

Continue auto-ing to aid the rest...sorry for this Paris.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2934 on: November 13, 2014, 11:43:13 am »

Campaign

Irine, Campaign

I recollect my flames then split them into three orbs, the first one I send through the portal and attempt to maintain control of it as it passes through and afterwards, aiming for the wooden door and creatures on the other side to provide me with some more fuel. the second, if the first is successful, goes through right afterwards, if it is not, then I recombine both orbs and try to have them pass through at the same time as I do. if I can control flame through the portal, then the last orb comes through behind us, being used to prevent pursuit and assist stragglers.
You start moving the orb towards the portal but River has an objection to that.
"Wait."
You manage to stop it in time, only a small part of it touching the portal.
The portal pulses, rapidly expanding and then immediately contracting several times per second, taking a small chunk of your orb with it every time it returns to its previous size, the image visible in it distorting as it does so. It stops doing that the moment you stop pushing the sphere against it.
"Portal... unstable. Fire control... hard... through it." he adds, sounding very tired and out of breath.
You assume that means that it's best to bring one big orb with you as you cross.
Although that unstable bit sounds troubling. And the part of your orb that was swallowed up by the portal still hasn't appeared on the other side.
Hmmm. Well, you can't do anything else except go through the portal right now, so there's probably no use worrying.

Campaign, Ike!

"This is probably a very poor idea!"

Proceed! Let us go Beyond the Dark Portal. Focus on dodging once on the other side.
Zog zog.

Campaign, The Twoface of Luck

Well, if I'm going to an alternate dimension I should look good.

Give myself a few spritzes of hairspray, then charge mah lazor step through.
Looking cool Mr. Alan.

Through the portal.
You take a deep breath and run through the portal.

Wonder what would happen if you went under the portal. Or fell in it like Flynn in the MCP.
Good thing that magic seems to take care of all those little things. Imagine what would happen if the portal was actually somewhere very high or under the ground. Or not anchored to the ground, moving around freely.

Campaign

"Move through! I'll keep my shields with us!"

Move through the portal, keeping the shields around the group as best as I can. Once I am through, rearrange the shields to face 210 degrees to my front and sides.
Beam me up, Scotty.

Everyone
Going through the portal is like... nothing much. No psychedelic light-shows, no dark tunnels through spacetime filled with eldritch horrors. You take another step forward, there's a very bright light and then you're shoved to other side, falling face first on the stone floor. That's it.

It is, however, for some reason, very disorienting for half the team. While River, Ike and Irene don't look like they felt anything other than mild discomfort, the rest feel very much like someone shook them around and then gave them something nasty to eat, like they must throw up.

Irene manages to catch almost all of the fire that went through with her and reassemble it into orbs before it dissipates. Overall, she didn't loose more than a quarter of her fire.

Zechariah manages to maintain most of his light shields, although he looses about a third in the transfer and the disorientation that follows. He does his best to rearrange them in a defensive formation.

You get up and prepare for combat, but even though the room is full of those creatures and their slaves, most of them seem to be ignoring you for now. A couple of them turn to face you, but they don't move towards you yet. Looks like you have a moment of respite.

Then again, there were a lot of those creatures following you. They could enter the portal soon. And if they remember you, then they probably won't be very happy to bump into you as they exit. Not to mention that one of the creatures in this room might take interest in you. So staying here for too long while the portal remains operational might not be a very good idea.

The other side of the portal is mostly like the images you saw through it, a large rectangular room. The air is much better here, although it is very hot and humid, almost unbearably so, a jarring transition from the cold windy world you were previously.
The floor is made out of large red and light brown stone blocks, with the occasional black block among them ((the black squares in the map)).
The walls are made out of blocks of various shades of brown rock that form simple patterns.
The ceiling is very high and made out of the same material as the walls. It has some simple circles and lines engraved in it that have been encrusted with metal, mostly gold. They look kinda like constellations, not random but also not very clear about what they depict.

The portal stands close to the centre of the room but it looks a bit different on this side. It is surrounded by red and purple fire and the images seen through it look less clear.

The ethereal ghostly fire surrounding it is supplied by three claw-like things surrounding the portal. Two of them are red while the other is larger, taller and purple. They curve more and more as they get higher, their tips almost touching each other above the portal. They look like they are made of stone, but they are glowing with an internal light, appearing transparent. The light they emit is strong enough to pass through some of the many dozens of parasites wrapped around each of them, giving you a shadowy image of their internal organs. They appear to be unharmed by this though, so you'd guess the light is at least partly magical in nature.

There are some boxes on the south-west side of the room, along with some sacks and barrels. Based on a broken barrel revealing water inside, they probably contain supplies.

There are many alcoves on the walls, many of them higher than ground level. Almost all of them have at least one of those octopuses in them. The ones that don't have one reveal dark red stone slabs resting inside them, probably what the octopuses are interested in. The slabs the octopuses are wrapped around are glowing slightly.

The single exit to this room is towards the south, a large wooden door with metal bands and nails holding the boards it is made out of together.

There is blood on the ground, both human and octopus. There are scorch marks on the floor and walls. Even the slaves are not in the best of condition, as some of them are missing a limb or have their robes burnt or stabbed through. Strangely, despite these obvious signs of combat, there aren't any dead bodies around, octopus or human.

Most of the lighting in the room comes from the portal and the spikes around it, but much of it comes through a hole in the northeastern wall that looks the result of an explosion. The floor has started collapsing near it, the blocks forming it becoming loose. Through it, you can see red sky, the kind of sky you'd get in a polluted city during sundown. There are black and white clouds of smoke in the sky, as if there is a great fire nearby.

Further down, you can see rocky mountains in the distance and a road that crosses the barren terrain and leads to the walls of a city. The city your  structure is in, you guess. From the looks of it, wherever you are, you must be pretty high. You can't see the entire city from your current position inside the room, but the parts of it you can see aren't looking good. There are a few fires burning in the city, but that is probably not a very big problem, since most of the buildings are made of stone and it doesn't look there are many flammable things near them.

The biggest problem is another type of creature, one that you haven't seen before. They look like big wrinkled sacks that float above the city, long appendages hanging behind them like the tentacles of a jellyfish. Every once in a while, they suddenly change their altitude, swooping down. When they rise up again, they almost always hold something moving held by at least one of their tentacles. Something living. Something that is brought closer to their central sack and disappears under it, not there when the tentacle is extended again. There are only a couple of them (that you can see from here), but they don't look like they'll be stopping any time soon.

"The magic... Power... Complexity..." River says with faint joy in his voice as he scans the room and you, his eyes doing that thing where they turn black again. "Interesting."
He keeps one hand over the wound in his arm, applying pressure. In the brighter light of this room, you can see that he is bleeding moderately, the blood soaking his dark brown coat.
He looks at the hole in the wall and narrows his eyes.
"Worse... than I thought. The city... is falling... from the flow."
His eyes return to normal again.
"I will... not lead... for now. Need time."
"No traps... I can see. Only parasites. Watch corners."
he adds a second later.

Map: http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/parisbre56/map_zps5c6eddbe.png
River (NPC) -> Black
Theri (Tiruin) -> Turquoise
Irene (Lenglon) -> Orange
Zechariah (DarkArtemisFowl) -> Light turquoise
Ike (Harry Baldman) -> Pink
Alan (Xantalos) -> Red
Nikolai (NAV) -> Green
Swordsman slave
Unarmed man/woman slave
Parasite

Staging Area

"Thank you. My name is a relic of bygone ages of my culture, that I could only find through extensive research. By which I mean that I slammed my assistants face against a keyboard for a few minutes. Or was it one of the funny sounds he made while I was mashing his face against the keyboard? I can't remember. I can't remember what my name before that was either, except it was quite funny when I suddenly stopped responding to my old name. Took about a month for the residents of the city to figure out what my new name was. And also provided an excellent excuse to ignore them when I accidentally disabled the main repulsor-engine. Which I did fix and improve within 5 minutes, but they only remember the bit about the city falling half a kilometer. Anyway, the point is that all of the best history is written by mashing keyboards with other people's bodies for no apparent reason.

Not that I have that out of the way, do you mind telling me your name?"

Sit down
A short, amused laugh comes through the squawk-box as you recount the story of your name.
"Hahaha. Yeah, yeah, I agree."
"Good. You look like you could be fun."

You sit on one of the armchairs.
"Anyway, about my name. Mysterious, rich, powerful man with many connections, talking through a box, his face never seen. Likes working indirectly through people he employs. Three armchairs. Trusts almost nobody. Did you guess it yet?"
The symbol on the screen disappears, a waist down picture of the back of a middle aged man in an expensive suit taking its place. He is holding a cigar in one hand and is being embraced by three attractive women.
"Isn't it obvious? I'm Charlie."
There are a few seconds of silence and then the noise of papers being shuffled again.
"Wait, where are you from? I didn't check. Earth right?"
"Because if you aren't from the right place or if you're from the wrong time period then this probably won't make much sense to you."

OOC
I'm leaving for France tomorrow. I'll have internet access so I'll probably be able to post a turn, but just in case I am not, that's probably why. I'll definitely do some dialogue or minor actions though, if you have any.

EDIT: Okay, there are definitely words being eaten here, either by the forum or by Firefox, but I don't know why. Sorry if there are any mistakes because of it. I read through the post and tried to fix it, but there might be some that I missed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 01:17:00 pm by Parisbre56 »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: November 13, 2014, 12:25:43 pm »

I look at the exhausted River and nod once, then turn back to the room.
"Zech, could you make crystals to block the portal and anything that might chase us?"
again, split up my flames into many partially-effective segments, and send them out seeking targets. priority 1 is anything that would make a good fuel source... like that wooden door. second priority is any slaves or parasites that have noticed our presence. third is armed slaves. fourth is isolated parasites/slaves. lowest priority is groups of distracted parasites... I probably want to avoid those completely if I can.
We can't go hunting until River is ready, and this place seems like a project to me. This city will burn, and the parasites with it.
Is this portal fueled by fire or the three fire sources around it? that would explain the pulsing... or maybe something else...
One easy way to find out I suppose.

Collect additional flames from the fire sources already in the room, if weakening the flames weakens the portal, then take them in their entirity to shut it down, but if it seems unaffected then leave the source-flames so I can constantly collect everything I can from them in addition to the wooden door and anything else I can find to burn.
I need to keep gaining momentum... I'm going to need such a massive amount of fire to do what I have to do...
I hope I can control it right, I'm scared what will happen if I try it and lose control since I can get burned now...
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: November 13, 2014, 12:44:23 pm »

"Unfortunately not. I come from a colony city at gas giant 2b4a-428342, brought by an interstellar transport during the colonization initiative after WWIV ravaged Earth. We were actually supposed to be sent to one of the habitable moons, but the transport screwed up an left us at the gas giant instead. Anyway, that was about a thousand eye are before my time and I really only know about it due to digging around in the main computer to see I could find something to blackmail the governor with so he would increase my resource allocation. So yeah, I don't really understand your reference, sorry.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:09 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

"Say, River, dude, mind shutting that portal? I don't think anything good's coming out of leaving it open. Figured I'd ask, you know?"

Draw my knife if I haven't yet. Acquaint myself with the smells in here, and also listen for any suspicious noises. Take a tally of octopuses present and their varieties. Be wary of yellow land octopus ssp. invisible!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: November 13, 2014, 03:03:24 pm »

Campaign

After vomiting profusely on the floor, Alan looks a round and sighs in disapproval at all the octopi.
Someone let this pet infestation get way out of control. So! Where are we going, black spirit fox guy?

Follow the group around wherever we're going. Get ready to blast washing machines at anything that attacks me/us.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: November 13, 2014, 04:05:28 pm »

Nikolai: Campaign

"Does anyone want a sword?"
Give whoever wants a sword a sword.

Those magical torch things, do they look lootable?
Search the boxes for anything useful.

Tsar-slash anything that attacks.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 521