Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1126666 times)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: The Core of the Problem
« Reply #2055 on: June 13, 2014, 02:17:25 pm »

Rune sighed inwardly. It was like watching two squabbling siblings. Instead, he tried to communicate with his entity.
"Hey, could I do some sort of practice whilst waiting for this thing to end? Like, could you pitch me against some sort of imaginary enemy while I wait?"

((Just want to do some combat while bored :) ))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: June 13, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »

((Fniff, I think the sphere is in midair))

<<We've hurt it enough... it's time to get this over with.>>

Get out.  Summon up a simple bandage/tourniquet to stop from bleeding out (or just use my shirt if that's feasible)  Once clear of BETA, summon up a better booster for the jetpack so the "can't get air" problem is resolved.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: June 13, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »

((I hope you don't judge me when I say I don't understand the difference. Those all sound the same to me. Might be a problem with my ears or something.
Or maybe my brain.
((Or your comprehension of the pronunciation of a second language you mostly experience through text.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: June 13, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »

Zechariah ignored Scion. Actually, in reality, he was using her words to fuel his anger. The more emotion he feels, the better for his willpower, and the more he can keep his host alive. It works out perfectly.

Mmhh... not out yet. Keep going... we can stop soon, but you just need to get out of the way and out of sight. Come on, the Shadow is flowing. Use it, let it cover the truth from the eyes of the unknowing.

Keep going and crawl to a dark place that will make it easier for me to conserve my energy and use the Shadow to completely shield me from prying eyes. After there is no danger, get to a building and find a place to shelter within.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: June 13, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »

Whoops.

Try to summon myself back into the movie theatre. Hopefully I won't be committing the mind equivalent of matter-antimatter contact.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: June 14, 2014, 04:20:16 am »

Irine
I hate this, but I don't have a better option.

Zoe
Calm down. I decided to trust him earlier for good reasons. I need to stick with that choice. Also, I'm getting way too close to this guy. I have a gun and he clearly has unarmed training. I shouldn't let myself be in his arm's reach.

Irine
I hate doing that. I really, really hate it.
remain on standby to control/contain any energies released and protect Amelia and Zoe. idly boost the fires outside if I don't have anything else to do
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: June 16, 2014, 07:54:48 am »

I just removed another giant insult-ridden argument between GWG and somebody.  This despite at least seven warnings and a few mutes for this very infraction.  I'm tired of cleaning up after GWG, so GWG has been banned.  Please adjust your games as necessary.
Posting here in case the GM doesn't know yet.
There still a spot left? I'm thinking I wanna join this sometime. :P

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: June 16, 2014, 11:19:25 am »

There are always spots open, no character limit.

What powers do you want?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2063 on: June 18, 2014, 08:46:31 pm »

"Well, isn't this going to be fun."
Grab the spear and activate adrenaline. Run past John, jostling if possible, then plunge the spear into the core.
John is nowhere to be seen. He's probably still in the giant robot.
Well, that's his problem. Because you are going in for the win.

You begin running towards the building your target crashed in. You try to keep your broken arm still, but it's hard, doubly so because you have to use your other arm to hold the Spear. Every step, every vibration, brings more pain.

You get inside the receding cloud of dust raised by the landing object and search around for your target. It doesn't take long to find it. The light it emits makes it easy.

The object that was ejected from the robot's chest seems to had been a sphere, one of the two that you saw inside its chest. You can see the places where the wires going into it where cleanly cut by laser cutters. It seems to have bounced around a bit inside the building, striking some of the support columns and further wrecking its already damaged interior before coming to a stop deeper in the building.

But the sphere itself is not your target. Your target is above the sphere.

You can't see it clearly. It's dark in here and the light it's emitting is not making it easy for you to discern its features. But you can tell it's humanoid. You can see pieces of metal on it, shinning from what little light is coming from outside. Whatever it is, it's crouched on top of the sphere. You can't see its face and yet you know it's looking at you.

Before you can manage to close in enough to stab it, it slides backwards, hiding from you behind the metal sphere.
<<We've hurt it enough... it's time to get this over with.>>

Get out.  Summon up a simple bandage/tourniquet to stop from bleeding out (or just use my shirt if that's feasible)  Once clear of BETA, summon up a better booster for the jetpack so the "can't get air" problem is resolved.
You fire your jetpack and begin slowly flying out of the BETA. While you do so, you try to summon something to help with the bleeding, but you just can't muster the concentration. All you manage to get is a very simple piece of cloth that falls on your shoulder.
After you land on the street outside, you try to apply it as a tourniquet, using your one good hand and your mouth, but you can't do much that way. You slow the bleeding down a bit but it's still serious.
That's not good.

Your attempt to improve your jetpack goes equally unwell. You barely manage to retain enough concentration to not give in to temptation and simply allow your power to work on its own, without your guidance.

You can see Jordan on the other side of the street, inside the ground floor of a semi destroyed building. You can see him even through the walls, by use of your helmet. He's looking at a humanoid figure standing on top of the sphere that was ejected from the robot's chest. Inside the humanoid, you can see that same thing made of light that was inside the robot, the bundle of tentacles of light, only it's much fainter now.

Elsewhere...

Rune sighed inwardly. It was like watching two squabbling siblings. Instead, he tried to communicate with his entity.
"Hey, could I do some sort of practice whilst waiting for this thing to end? Like, could you pitch me against some sort of imaginary enemy while I wait?"

((Just want to do some combat while bored :) ))
"Ha ha ha! A man of action? Certainly. If it would bring you pleasure.
Let's start with something easy. What do you think of... this?"

A distortion appears a couple of dozen meters away from you, a large, roughly circular patch of air that causes everything behind it to appear blurred and a bit bluish. The distortion remains there for a few seconds.
It is only when gravity begins having an effect on it that you realize that isn't a distortion, rather it is some kind of... thing. Probably a living thing. You can tell by the way the edges of its body seem to glimmer as it falls, a bit more slowly than it should. It touches the ground and deforms like a water-balloon, spreading out but not breaking apart.
It begins reforming into a ball again, one that is a bit elongated on the horizontal axis to form a "torso". Part of its body reforms into 6 short, thick legs that help it rise higher off the ground. A triangle of three very small protrusion forms on the part of its body facing you.
All and all, it looks like someone made a very bad painting of some kind of 6 legged headless animal using only curves and the colour blue.
"That's what you came up with? Looks kinda... weak and flabby."
"Don't underestimate it. Victory doesn't always come through strength. Now human... fight!"
The creature's shimmering skin begins vibrating like water on a subwoofer as it emits its alien cry, a deep sound that rapidly variates in pitch.

OOC
((Sorry for the delays. I'll try to make time to update this more often.))

I just removed another giant insult-ridden argument between GWG and somebody.  This despite at least seven warnings and a few mutes for this very infraction.  I'm tired of cleaning up after GWG, so GWG has been banned.  Please adjust your games as necessary.
Posting here in case the GM doesn't know yet.
There still a spot left? I'm thinking I wanna join this sometime. :P
NAV is correct (thanks NAV), spots are always open. Just write what special ability you want.

And well, I don't know what to say about GWG, other than that it would had been better if that hadn't happened.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:49:08 pm by Parisbre56 »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:37 pm »

Sprint towards it, use biomass to become a crocodile, and latch on to a leg, biting down and shaking my head around.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: June 19, 2014, 12:39:35 am »

Theri
<Irene, what's going on there? What happened? I'm over here with Awena and Boris' men--armed and alright. Who attacked us?>

Awena, I can lend you much knowledge in the field of physical arts and probably even human anatomy, physiology (and to that extent, treatment of wounds) but I'm no fighter. Err, by that I mean...despite my claims of prowess in unarmed combat, I'm a pacifist at heart. Sorry if-...

*sigh* I should not confuse you any longer. We've a knife at our disposal and are in the company of armed men. Boris' men. Friendly men. We're all here for Amelia though (and in that case, Zoe).

My suggestion is we do as Max says. Hide. If you're ever in doubt or in trouble, my knowledge is at your disposal (and I am reluctant to take control--but...I do realize [ok, starting to realize] that it may be needed at times--I also like how you control me though!). I think we're more useful on patrol. Whoever attacked us has the intent of either demolishing us or...
Probably best to assume they're after Amelia. If you--ok, we--see anyone, let's not jump to quickly alerting people ok? Relay information quietly and-...
I...I should learn to stop being authoritative. Erm.

Suggest to keep hidden, yet patrol the area. Check the insides of the buildings or any area entrance could be...made. Like doors, windows...any skylights?
Also ask River stuff!

River, why does my interface beep at certain points? Wait, blink. I meant blink. What does it mean?
Also I can do this! I'm just nervous.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: June 19, 2014, 07:51:48 am »

It'll have to do.

Jetpack straight for the sphere, and prepare to stabby stabby.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: June 19, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »

Theri
<Irene, what's going on there? What happened? I'm over here with Awena and Boris' men--armed and alright. Who attacked us?>
<Boris is being cryptic and it's making Zoe panic. I... I think I'm going to have to step in and calm her down. I hate messing with her mind though, I want her will and her fate to be her own. I don't know who attacked, but it's apparently not the police, or at least it shouldn't be them according to Boris. Which is one of the reasons Zoe is panicking. Let me know if you need me to cleanse the outside of the building, right now I'm focused on Zoe and Amelia. Boris's machines are turning on and it also made my Interface change color and beep.>
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2068 on: June 19, 2014, 04:31:38 pm »

Ah! Assume direct control once more and try to stealthily remove the mesh from the wall and slink inside the facility. If somebody sees me, lob a tear gas grenade at them.
You take a quick peek through the window. Looks clear. If you stay low the catwalk should keep you out of sight from the people below.

You very very slowly begin pulling the mesh from the window's frame, making sure to try and do it as quietly as possible. It's not that easy. The wires are stuck inside small shards of glass still embedded in the frame, so you have to slowly wiggle and pull out the entire shard and ensure none of the pieces of glass make any noise, all the while trying to keep your balance on the ledge. It takes you quite some time.

With the wire removed, you slowly take the mesh and deposit it in the catwalk.

The room beyond is a very large yet simple thing made of concrete and metal, what one would expect to find in a warehouse. It's lit by the orangeyellow light of unseen fires.

On the level you're on, there's only the metal platform you're standing on, going around the room. You're standing on it, on the catwalk hanging from the north wall, somewhere in the middle between the east and west walls. On the north-west corner you can see the controls for the bridge bridge crane that is hanging from the ceiling, probably what they used to move whatever's blocking the door. The stairs for descending down to the ground floor are on the south-west corner.

You don't take a look down towards the ground floor, out of fear that you'll get spotted. You can't hear anyone right now, but you're certain you heard voices before.

On the east wall, near the windows you used your RPG on (as you can tell by the two half burnt bodies lying next to them), there's a man with an assault rifle. He's looking out the windows right now, has his back turned on you.

Bryan
Come on, I didn't spend months training my concentration for this.  Focus! Bryan thought this to himself as he musters his mental strength.
Try to sense other minds again

Faron
Try to stick to the shadows as i approach the building.  When I get to the building try to get to the roof, failing that try for a window, let's say window closest to the left side.  Leave the police alone if they don't bother me.
Your host gets out of his car
"Sir! Sir stop! You can't go there, it's dangerous! There's-..."
One of the police officers tries to warn your host to stay away but he simply ignores them and keeps walking.
"Ah, sod it, I'm not getting payed enough to risk my life for this lo-"
He starts taking a roundabout way towards the building, trying to approach without being seen.

You take this time to cast out your mind at random positions inside the building, trying to locate the thoughts of anyone in it. It feels hard, like there's something that's trying to stop you from psychically approaching it. Nevertheless, you succeed, managing to spot quite a few people in during your search.

Most of them are gathered deep inside the building, arrayed in a rough circle around some central location. At least 6 of them are facing your way, maybe more if there's someone you missed. One of the people in that group feels strange. Like there are two minds inside a single body.

But the strangest thing in the centre of that circle. It's a bit hard to define. It's like someone is psychically screaming things with many voices. Orders, pleading, threats, all of them given so quickly and so loudly that they are completely incomprehensible. They are merely felt as they are registered by your subconscious. And then there are voices belonging to others, many others, most of them human but some of them... not, saying more things you can't understand. At the source of all this commotion seem to be three minds, each sharing three enormous ever-expanding yet fragmented bodies, bodies that couldn't possibly fit inside this warehouse, each bigger than the last, dwarfing and drowning out the mind of any human beside them as they become larger and larger. It feels like their sheer size, their gravity is dragging you in them. Where you were pushed, now you are pulled.

With some effort, you manage to extricate yourself from their influence before they can manage to do anything to your mind. Not that you gathered they were trying to do something, but you'd not like to risk finding that out. You take stock of your surroundings to ensure that the warehouse is not, in fact, exploding from the size of the things inside it.

Your host has moved right up next to the door of the building. He's standing with his back against the front wall of the warehouse, looking up. There's the barrel of a gun sticking out from the windows there. Looks like there's a guard up there, one you missed with your scan. Judging by his movements and the lack of shooting, he probably hasn't spotted you, although he is alert and looking for something.

Your host could probably jump up there if he wanted and then make his way to the roof.

Zechariah ignored Scion. Actually, in reality, he was using her words to fuel his anger. The more emotion he feels, the better for his willpower, and the more he can keep his host alive. It works out perfectly.

Mmhh... not out yet. Keep going... we can stop soon, but you just need to get out of the way and out of sight. Come on, the Shadow is flowing. Use it, let it cover the truth from the eyes of the unknowing.

Keep going and crawl to a dark place that will make it easier for me to conserve my energy and use the Shadow to completely shield me from prying eyes. After there is no danger, get to a building and find a place to shelter within.
You go past your second wind and manage to find enough strength to get back up and make your way to a dark alley between two buildings. You collapse behind a dumpster.

Your attempt to use your ability goes less well. The darkness you are gathering is erratic and unstable, some of it coming in streams and hitting you in the abdomen while others smash against the walls. Thankfully, the fact that it is not fully substantial makes this small mistake less deadly.

<What do you think your struggling will accomplish?>

Irine
I hate this, but I don't have a better option.

Zoe
Calm down. I decided to trust him earlier for good reasons. I need to stick with that choice. Also, I'm getting way too close to this guy. I have a gun and he clearly has unarmed training. I shouldn't let myself be in his arm's reach.

Irine
I hate doing that. I really, really hate it.
remain on standby to control/contain any energies released and protect Amelia and Zoe. idly boost the fires outside if I don't have anything else to do
"What- what is that?"
Zoe is more afraid than angry now.
"That there is power."
You manage to convince Zoe to take a few steps back and lower her weapon.
"That is what is going to kill her if I don't intervene."
Her feelings of defeat and helplessness are amplified now that there's nowhere to channel them, now that she can understand even less than before. There's nothing she can do. It's hopeless.
"That is what I seek to control."
It's better to just wait here. There's nothing she can do but trust this man. Hope that after he gets whatever he wants, he'll give her what she needs.
Zoe looks down and closes her eyes.
<Thank you.>
After taking a few seconds to compose herself and fight back the tears, she raises her head and opens her eyes, even though her thoughts are still a jumble of emotions. She hates being unable to do anything.

Meanwhile, you remain at the ready to contain whatever might happen here, even though you're unsure about what exactly you could do about it. The difference around Amelia seems to be colour. It's very subtle and hard to see in her mostly already black and white surroundings, but it looks like some of the colours around her are slightly brighter and duller, like someone messed with the Colour temperature setting of a monitor to make all colours appear slightly "colder".

The fires outside seem to be good, so unless you want to start gathering orbs of fire, you probably don't want to boost them any more, seeing as that would exhaust them of fuel and energy quicker.

<If there was knowledge I could give you, knowledge that could lead to harder decisions with uncertain outcomes, knowledge that could end up causing more harm than good, would you still want me to share it with you?> Stellar asks you reluctantly.

One of the machines near Boris emits a beep of a different pitch. He presses a few buttons on it to stop the beeping and looks at the lines moving inside one of its green screens for a few seconds.
<Hmmm... Looks like someone is trying to use telepathy around here. Better watch it.>

Theri

Awena, I can lend you much knowledge in the field of physical arts and probably even human anatomy, physiology (and to that extent, treatment of wounds) but I'm no fighter. Err, by that I mean...despite my claims of prowess in unarmed combat, I'm a pacifist at heart. Sorry if-...

*sigh* I should not confuse you any longer. We've a knife at our disposal and are in the company of armed men. Boris' men. Friendly men. We're all here for Amelia though (and in that case, Zoe).

My suggestion is we do as Max says. Hide. If you're ever in doubt or in trouble, my knowledge is at your disposal (and I am reluctant to take control--but...I do realize [ok, starting to realize] that it may be needed at times--I also like how you control me though!). I think we're more useful on patrol. Whoever attacked us has the intent of either demolishing us or...
Probably best to assume they're after Amelia. If you--ok, we--see anyone, let's not jump to quickly alerting people ok? Relay information quietly and-...
I...I should learn to stop being authoritative. Erm.

Suggest to keep hidden, yet patrol the area. Check the insides of the buildings or any area entrance could be...made. Like doors, windows...any skylights?
Also ask River stuff!

River, why does my interface beep at certain points? Wait, blink. I meant blink. What does it mean?
Also I can do this! I'm just nervous.

<Great! That's the spirit! I'll try to help as much as I can from here, although a voice in the head of a voice in a head really doesn't have much it can do.>

<Anyway, the "face" of your Interface (the part that looks bluish) lights up to indicate something and the interface beeps to draw your attention to it. Green usually means something good. Orange means information. Red usually means something not good.

Sometimes it will speak to announce additional information. You can try asking it something yourself, although it usually won't know much more than you. But you can ask it to remind you something you might have forgotten.

In our current situation, orange indicates that time is running out. Which is a good thing. We want time to run out. When time runs out, we will be victorious and we can leave this mission knowing we have done what we could to help whoever needed our help.

In our current situation, red means that the connection with your host is wavering. Your host is more receptive to outside influences due to the nature of her condition, so loosing your connection with her is less of a danger, but the interface warns you of it nevertheless.>

Do not worry kind spirit. replies your host. I thank you for all your help tonight. I would not be here were it not for you and your help.

Awena looks around but there aren't many places she could hide in in this room. There are the containers the men are using as cover. There is a small door on her left, probably leading to some kind of storage room or small office. There's the stairs on her right that lead up to a catwalk that encircles the room. And then there's the door behind her, the one that leads back to Zoe.

As for what you can see, there's nothing alarming around here yet. The entrance is still blocked by that container. There's nothing on the windows that you can see from here (the ones above the locked entrance) besides the lookout, standing there with his rifle. And the skylights are still clear. You can see the stars through them.

Still, Awena keeps watch, watching out for anything that could be a danger.

Awena suddenly feels like she was hit by a cold draft, like cold air is engulfing her and gets goosebumps. Yet there is no draft in here and her clothes should had been able to keep her warm.

It seems like one of the armed men beside her also felt it, because he shivers and emits a grumble of displeasure.
"What is it?" one of the others asks him.
"Felt strange."
"Strange? Like what?"
"Like I don't know what." He sighs. "I remember the days battles used to be fought with weapons and honour, not all those magic nonsense."
"Alien, not magic." the other corrects him.
"Whatever. Looks like magic to me."
"Don't worry. If we succeed here, everything will be better. The world will be free again."
"We'll see."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:38:05 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: June 19, 2014, 04:43:30 pm »

<Get the feeling I should be moving along as quickly as possible, so...>

Shoot the guard as dead as reasonably possible. Then put down the brick of C4 in a place where it seems like it'll cause as much structural damage as possible, arm it, and move along downward. I do have a remote detonator, right?
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 521