Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1125092 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: I need guns. Lots of guns.
« Reply #1590 on: February 28, 2014, 08:05:33 pm »

((Alright, post here! Then I go to sleep because I didn't last night.))

Do I have any weapons?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: February 28, 2014, 09:22:25 pm »

((Angel really snuck past Alan in this current poll.))
((Whee.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 01, 2014, 01:59:28 am »

((The problem with that logic is the situation isn't that simple:
1) Zoe didn't know about Irine, and has no knowlege of where the fire is coming from. The fires could make her panic.
2) FRIENDLY FIRE -> Using that kind of attack on someone who is carrying someone I don't want hurt could easilly hurt the hostage.
3) Revealing information to the enemy -> By doing that, I told my opponent exactly who he is facing and what I can and can't do.
4) Moving Target -> Heat is a damage-over-time effect. A direct attack like that doesn't work anywhere near as well as area-denial attacks and encirclements. I can only generate fire a limited number of times and in limited amounts, generating it directly on someone moving quickly in an open area is likely to do nothing but waste my ability. In the original context of a stationary enemy inside a building with surprise on my side and flammable material nearby that would be likely to be splashed by any near-misses, giving me follow-up options and area denial opportunities, that type of attack was far more viable.
5) Confirm your target -> I do not have confirmation that the person carrying ?Ed? is actually hostile. The situation could be more complicated than I think it is, and there could still be a shooter in the building and the carrier could be trying to get Ed to safety. It's unlikely, but it is possible.

the above reasons make using my flame abilities in that kind of situation a really bad idea, and why I did not want to do that. Better to pursue or better yet, get into a vehicle of my own. Cars are VERY deadly weapons and provide cover against gunfire, if I'm not under immediate pressure then the best weapon here is Morgan's car, and I wasn't being aimed/shot at. I don't even have confirmation that the person carrying another person is actually hostile. There could be a shooter in the building and this person might be an ally, unlikely though that may be.

I was upset earlier because I did the same action 5 turns in a row, and it STILL didn't happen, with no information gained or viable alternatives available, when other people did comparable actions in 2 turns or less. I was upset this time because now I've wasted a limited resource, given information to the enemy, and possibly panicked or confused my host in the process, crippling my future actions, all through an action that I didn't want to do in the first place. That action was to be triggered, last turn, by the gun being aimed at Zoe or Ed, (and I assumed that I'd be framed in the doorway with no opportunity to dodge) and that didn't happen. In that case it was a "act or host/priority objective dies" + "attack stationary target from a position of suprise", making the attack itself far more viable and it also was a unprepared act or die situation I only knew was coming through meta-knowlege.

As for my action, um...))

{Irine}
--If I really did waste my ability--
Keep close track of my host's reaction to the ball of fire appearing in the air for no reason, but not influencing her at all, even if she panics about it, while slamming the remnants of the fire down into the grass at roughly the speed of local gravity and letting it spread across the grass and grow.
--If that is retconned out of history--
pay close attention to what Zoe is hearing, listening for a second opponent behind her and what sounds Morgan is or isn't making. If I think Zoe is going to be ambushed then push the problem to the fore of her mind, drawing her attention to what is wrong with that we're hearing. Otherwise leave her be, and let her make her own pursuit choices.

{Zoe}
Call out to Morgan and have her circle around in her car to cut off the assailant, while I make a more direct pursuit. Stay alert to cover and lines of fire, and check corners before rounding them, don't get myself shot.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:14:29 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1593 on: March 01, 2014, 08:50:41 am »

@Lenglon: Sure, let's say you never used your ability.

((Alright, post here! Then I go to sleep because I didn't last night.))

Do I have any weapons?
Harsh words/psychological warfare.
Double barreled sawn off shotgun (loaded).
Shotgun ammo.
Knife.
Keyes.
Glass (filled with booze of dubious quality).
Clothes.
Your body.
Nearby tables, chairs, bottles, etc.
Using nearby drunkards as throwing weapon.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 01, 2014, 05:26:39 pm »

Look around/ask for a lighter.
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1595 on: March 03, 2014, 05:46:19 pm »

Turn coming tomorrow, last chance for people in the BETA mission to prepare or discuss strategy since the enemy will arrive at the end of the turn.

Look around/ask for a lighter.
I just remembered I had your host smoke a cigarette in the first turn of this mission. I have added lighter and cigarettes to your inventory. You can still do the above action if you want though.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 03, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »

((Excellent!))

Go to the bar and order a shit ton of booze. In bottles and such.
Sig! Onol

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 03, 2014, 06:05:12 pm »

"I picked up some weird noise. I think... This thing... It's trying to communicate to us. Maybe it doesn't want to annihilate us? Meh, doesn't matter."

Brace for any kind of impact.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1598 on: March 04, 2014, 10:01:39 pm »

Bryan
Dang it, I'm up against the fire controller.  If we meet again that could lead to complications.  I also now understand why this man is an instrument.  No emotions, highly trained, highly efficient, willing to do anything.  Heck, I don't even know if he has any amount of free will.
Faron
Don't influence actions this turn
((FYI, we're saying Irene never used her fire abilities on you.
Now, let us never speak of that again and hope I do better in the future.))
{Irine}
pay close attention to what Zoe is hearing, listening for a second opponent behind her and what sounds Morgan is or isn't making. If I think Zoe is going to be ambushed then push the problem to the fore of her mind, drawing her attention to what is wrong with that we're hearing. Otherwise leave her be, and let her make her own pursuit choices.

{Zoe}
Call out to Morgan and have her circle around in her car to cut off the assailant, while I make a more direct pursuit. Stay alert to cover and lines of fire, and check corners before rounding them, don't get myself shot.
Your attempt to influence your host to be careful for ambushes fails. She just runs towards the man a fast as she can. Your interface beeps and blinks red several times.
"MORGAAN! CAR! AFTER HIM!" you shout in between breaths.
As you reach the sidewalk and turn to go after the man once more, you catch a glimpse of Morgan getting out of hiding inside the car.
A couple of seconds later, you hear the car trying to start and failing.
Meanwhile, the man keeps running away with incredible speed, reaching the car parked at the nearby intersection.
After two more tries, the engine starts.
The man opens the door of his car and then shoves the one he is carrying on the passenger seat (you'd swear you saw him lifting him with one arm like he weighed nothing) while getting in himself.
You see Morgan at the edge of your vision, driving by with her car, accelerating towards the man, who is currently in the process of starting his car's engine.
With the illumination the car's headlights are providing you can see clearly that Edward is lying in the passenger seat of the man's car. You can also see the man's face. He seems vaguely familiar to your host.

Any actions you want to do?

"The plot thickens, ooh!"

>Quickly move upstairs. Perhaps you can find this... other one. Stealthiness would be good, but it is of secondary importance.
You almost run up the stairs towards the private room, earning the disapproving looks of many of the establishment's customers. You keep your eyes focused on the leftmost private room, long enough for you to spot two men exiting it. One of them must be Raul. The other... You do not know him. But he can't be good news.

And, while your host cannot see it, you can see he has an interface on his wrist, its crystal transparent.

Wow. He changes personas almost as fast as I do.
Almost, but not quite.

>Get Raul out of there, preferably through some back exit or something. Do it smoothly, you must not lose the control you've gained.
((Yes, it's almost as if the results of his actions are dependent on the results of dice rolls, don't you think?
Plus, the fact that that guy betrayed your host's organization is a big contributor to his anger and disposition towards him.))

This room is just 4 walls and a door, you'll be trapped if you stay here. Got to get away.
"Move it. We're getting out of here." Maybe you can get out through the balcony or-
"Huh?" He just looks at you, his scared look changing to one of confusion.
"You were followed." Can't wait for that scum to move on his own.
"Wha-? How? I was- How did you-?"
"No time to play 20 questions. We're getting out of here. Now." You say as you shove him up and open the door to push him out of there.

Once you're out, you look around. You're outside the leftmost private room, near the left stairs, near the railing.
You spot the enemy Agent who has just gone up the right stairs. Even if you hadn't seen him before, you could tell he was an Agent. He reeks of it.
From the looks of it, he has spotted you too. And he's coming your way. And, while your host cannot see it, you can see he has an interface on his wrist, its crystal transparent.

((Excellent!))

Go to the bar and order a shit ton of booze. In bottles and such.
You try to influence your host to turn around and go back to the bar.
It's hard. He really wants to just kill those two guys right now. Your interface beeps and blinks red alarmingly many times, your vision going blurrier and your control over and awareness of your host dulling.
Nevertheless, you manage to make him go back to the bar and order a shit ton of booze. Looks like he's going to have to go through with whatever crazy plan you've thought of.

Your entity laughs with its strange laugh. Well, at least the two of you are having fun. Because your host is feeling really confused and conflicted right now.

Meanwhile...

((Whoo, my mission idea was semi-accepted!))

Locate some area with a lot of projectiles as large as any I can throw at a good speed. Grab them, telekinetic myself so I'm flying, and then head towards wherever the BETA is going to land. If it is there, begin smashing it with stuff.
Well, there are plenty of large machines in the nearby undeveloped land, plus there are all sorts of I-beams, sheets of metal and other building materials lying around here, along with a couple of abandoned cars. So I'll just have you stick with Toaster for now.

"Are you sure it's alright not to warn the others of what you saw?"
"Hey kid, want to help me... oh, you're gone."

Make sure that shell's loaded, then start racking up more DU shells.  Make a ClF3 shell too for giggles.
Small DU Shell loaded.
Your first attempt to produce a shell results in a rubber duck manifesting. You wonder how that's even possible. At least it's not an animate rubber duck that's trying to kill you.
You make a perfect DU shell. Yep, that thing will ruin that robot's day alright.

Tsar the control tower I'm in. Try to make the control panels and sensors and computers and everything much more powerful.
I want to become omniscient in this city. I want to be able to tell where every speck of dust is.
Also, does the control tower have the ability to control anything? If so, amplify this to control as much of the city as possible.
An entire control tower, eh? Let's see how lucky you are... Not that much. Nothing happens. Or very much, considering what rolling a 1 would had meant.

We'll just say you monitor the sensors for now. Controlling stuff is possible but it would require some guesswork.

"I picked up some weird noise. I think... This thing... It's trying to communicate to us. Maybe it doesn't want to annihilate us? Meh, doesn't matter."

Brace for any kind of impact.
You fasten your seatbelt and wish you had thought to wear a spacesuit, or at least the helmet of one. A crash with this thing won't be pretty.

Everyone
"The enemy has arrived."

Those of you looking up can see three points of light in the sky. They continue moving towards opposite directions. Then the lights disappear. After a while, with the aid of the light produced by the city, you can see 9 spheres falling from the sky in groups of 3, each group going to a different part of the city. They are accompanied by a small shower of mostly harmless metal debris, some of them glowing red hot.

NAV
You monitor the sensors and watch as each of the three points in the radar break into three other points, making for a total of 9 points. They disappear shortly before hitting the city, but you're certain that each group landed somewhere near a landing point.

You hear something impact the roof of the control tower. Well, now you know where one of them has landed.

Toaster & GWG
One of the spheres is heading awfully close to you. It fires a burst of its thrusters and stops a couple of dozens of meters away from you and a bit higher. It remains hovering there for the moment.
It looks very simple, a metal sphere about 6 times the size of your head, with electronics surrounded by a robust looking spherical metal frame and several maneuvering thrusters. Lenses stick out from various parts of its body, with a big lens covering the "front" of its body. It also has an antenna near the "top" of its body.

You can also see two other spheres landing, one on the undeveloped land and one on a nearby building.

Coolrune206 & Fniff
From the cockpit of the Spaceplane, you notice three spheres landing on the spaceport.
One of them is hovering in the air with the help of short bursts from its thrusters and looks like it's covered with lenses, with a big lens covering the "front" of its body.
The other stands on a pair of tracks and has various tubes and arms sticking out from it, like the tentacles of an octopus.
The third fails to use its thrusters to slow down in time and hits the ground hard, thus breaking apart in a bunch of metal shrapnel. Well, one less to worry about.
They're both about 6 times the size of your head and have an antenna on their "top" part.

scapheap
You notice a metal sphere covered with various lenses landing near the statue in the center of the plaza. It has a big lens near the "front" of its body and an antenna on its "top" part.

Peregrine
Nhh, dear goodness. I'm not that used to speaking in first person. Hum...
Alright, now take the most visible route. If Zoe is in trouble, trouble must make its way to Ed's house first. So if I see nothing wrong at that point, I'll...just take the diversionary place so I can warn them from the..backdoor!
Ngh, not good Theri.
Though perhaps the spirits may know- OH GOODNESS. RIVER!- I better contact them when I get there. Hopefully not to burn the bridge. And all these metaphors.

Go along the route which has the best visibility of Ed's place, then upon nearing head along a different street to approach the home from another direction--if possible, contact spirits along the way.

Also hi River. River?

Mmm.mmmm...River? Am I doing ok?
Your host continues to drive towards Ed's house.
The suburbs you're driving through look deserted, few people living here, even fewer walking on the streets at this our. Most of the lights on the sidewalk are broken or otherwise non-functional and few houses have light coming from their windows. Everything is dark and quiet, save for the sound of the car's engine trying to keep the old thing moving and its headlights illuminating the bumpy road ahead.

You try to open your mind to the spirits you see in your hosts thoughts and memories, to try to influence them or talk to them, but this proves fruitless. They seem to be uninterested in interacting with you. Or maybe they're just not here right now. Or maybe you're doing this the wrong way. You're not really sure how this is supposed to work.

When you are close to your destination, you suddenly see a red haze surrounding your host's vision before it returns to normal. Your host shakes her head. A second later, you hear a gunshot coming from up ahead, close to your destination that is currently obscured by a small rise in the road.
Your host is frightened. That can't be good. She pushes the gas pedal down, driving as fast as she can.
The gunshot is followed by another one a few seconds after that.

Your host notices something strange. On the left side of the car flies a hummingbird with iridescent orange-red feathers that make it look like it's on fire. On the right side of the car swims a multicolored tropical fish. Spirits, no doubt.
The two creatures move away from the car, the fish continuing straight while the hummingbird turns at the next intersection. They're probably trying to tell you something but what?

"Hmph. Why do they always have to be so vague..." comments River.
"Red probably means anger or conflict or... fire? I'm not sure.
I have no idea what the other one might stand for."

Do you want to influence your host and have her choose a spirit to follow?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 01:30:34 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:24 pm »

Plant thoughts of arson in his head. Try to make him go lock the doors from the outside and burn the place down, using the shit ton of booze as fuel.
Sig! Onol

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 04, 2014, 10:34:12 pm »

Position my shelf-leg club right under where the noise is coming from, brace it against the ground, Tsar it. Try to make it punch through the ceiling and knock whatever's on the roof off the tower.
Nope, absolutely no Freudian symbolism here.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 04, 2014, 10:34:58 pm »

Plant thoughts of arson in his head. Try to make him go lock the doors from the outside and burn the place down, using the shit ton of booze as fuel.

((Oh, you.))

John eyeballs the thing for a second.  <<A midsize sphere just came to us, a couple more nearby.  Wasn't thing supposed to be a bigass robot?  Whatever- I'm smashing this one.>>

FIRE at the hovering sphere!  Reload the other DU shell.  If it is destroyed/goes away before I can shoot it, fire at the closest of the other two.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 07:39:06 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:46 pm »

<I thought they knew! Um, the...something is here.>

Toss some big chunks of metal, I-beams and stuff, at the sphere. Aim for the big lens and the antenna. Especially the antenna.

((Von Neumann machines with a distributed intelligence and/or hive mind. I call it now.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 04, 2014, 11:39:36 pm »

((FYI, we're saying Irene never used her fire abilities on you.
Now, let us never speak of that again and hope I do better in the future.))
((Wasn't sure whether I should bother changing that thought, so I didn't.  Don't worry I am aware that my character doesn't know that he is up against Irine.))

Bryan
Hmm, a bit late for negotiation.  A shame that my host isn't fond of it.
Faron
Let him decide the best course of action.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 05, 2014, 05:12:08 am »

"P-V-P! P-V-P! P-V-P!" Ike chants.

>Shoot the other guy who's not Raul - don't mess around and shoot to kill. Whatever he's doing here, it can't be anything good.

Take control if Ike Wayne doesn't seem willing to do that.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:08:12 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 521