Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1127118 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Live together, die together
« Reply #930 on: January 04, 2014, 10:38:47 pm »

John sighed, or at least attempted to.  He felt... disconnected.

<<Are you a computer or something?>>
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #931 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »

((Sorry for the delay. One of my professors got mad with power. Taking care of that problem took most of my time.))

Everybody alive on mission (scapheap, Fniff, Lenglon, Harry Baldman, DAF)
With group, with a set of flame orbs, down the elevator.

If Jordan doesn't put the items in the device, remind him to do so through the interface on a team-wide band.
Group: Followed!
Flame orbs: Got!
Elevator: Down!

And let's assume for convenience's sake that Jordan put those things in the Device and the Device got what it wanted from them (from the container a small black thing that looks like a dark pearl surrounded by smooth clear glass and the green liquid from the vial). It then spit the things it didn't need and closed up, as if the holes were never there.
Proceed with the rest of the group to the exit.
Proceeding...
Reach that level, yeah! Reach it like we really mean it!
You reach that level like it has never been reached before.

The elevator doors open revealing a dark room, illuminated only by a couple of spotlights and screens.
In the center of the room lies an egg-like structure made of a dark material, suspended from the concrete ceiling by thick metal beams. Wires twist around the egg and and the beams that hold it like vines and disappear into the concrete ceiling.
The egg is surrounded by a metal platform that is also suspended from the ceiling. A thin metal bridge, barely large enough to hold 3 people at once, connects the platform with the elevator. The metal has begun showing sings of rust in places.
A bit above and behind the egg is a small room, it's walls glowing faintly glowing green from the light of the two computer screens it can hold.
Below there is only darkness.
It is very hot and humid in here. There are small pools of water on the floor, with more water drops coming in from the ceiling, where the cool concrete lowers their temperature and causes them to condense.
You can hear a faint thumping sound, like the sound of a heart beating very slowly.
"Ah, excellent! A Pulse Reactor! This will be over quicker than I thought. Just plug the device in it for a few seconds and we're good to go. The instructions I got also say to disable it, so you might want to get one of you into the control room."
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Xantalos & Toaster
<WHAT'S HAPPENING WHY DON'T I HAVE A BODY GODDAMN IT I WAS GROWING MY TOENAILS IN A VERY SPECIFIC MANNER>

Flail around, trying to find the Staging Area thing.
Silly human, weren't you shown?
The body you had you had was not your own.
It was to you for brief time sown.
Might even call it a cheap loan.

But let me make this one thing known,
when in strange bodies your soul gets flown,
The body changes for that brief time,
just like I changed this silly rhyme.

You discover that trying to flail when you have no body is hard. So you do your best to imagine you're flailing.

Host body deemed unrecoverable. Reconnecting with staging area...
John sighed, or at least attempted to.  He felt... disconnected.

<<Are you a computer or something?>>
... Unknown. Refine query.
He's as much a computer as you are.
Oh, now don't lie to our friend. You should know this better than anyone. A rose by any other name... Or in this case, an ugly cold logical-
You just... Stop talking!
... John, he doesn't just ... just talk, he ... If you want him to talk, you have to ask the right questions. Or your questions the right way.

Host body deemed unrecoverable. Reconnecting with staging area...

Alarith
"Something is wrong here,"  Bryan thought.  "Still, not much to do but go with it."
Change into the best fitting suit, check what is behind the door the piano music isn't coming from.
Let's suit up!

You pick one of the suits from the wardrobe and try it on. It's a combination of black jacket, black trousers, black shoes and white shirt. You get out of the  white shirt you're wearing and try it on as fast as you can, as being naked in the cold doesn't feel very comfortable.
It fits very nicely and its soft fabric feels nice against your skin. After looking at yourself in the mirror above the drawers, you come to the conclusion that you look pretty damn good. Fit for a wedding or some kind of gala organized by businessmen.
Then again, with your scar and the expensive suit, you're very likely to be mistaken for a bond villain henchman.

You approach the door on the opposite side of the piano player and open it. Immediately, you are hit by a wave of heat. On the other side of the door, you can see a large cavern with a magma pool glowing red in the middle.
In the faint red light of the magma pool you can barely notice that the rock walls are decorated with engravings of lush landscapes. There are also various tunnels leading to strange objects. A mirror, a hotel room door, a circular slide, a rock slab with intricate designs carved on it...
Near the hotel room door is a being that looks like a bird but with white bark instead of skin, branches instead of wings and leaves instead of feathers. It turns its head to look at you with one of its two eyes and opens its beak, emitting a combination of creaks and croaks that could be considered music if you were being generous.

Okay, weird stuff, check.

GWG
Angel sighs. "Great. I bet if I hadn't died, I could have helped them..."

Continue being all sad and depressed. Depressad, which is the most morose portmateau I've ever seen. Also watch the mission and try out the buttons.
Hey, the audio button allows you to pick a "Commentary by Morgan Freeman" option.

"Power. Adventure. Gruesome Death. The answers to the future of this mission lie... through the Elevator Doors."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:58:42 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 06, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »

YOUR RHYMES SUCK, YOU BUTT!

Childlike behavior!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 06, 2014, 02:49:15 pm »

<<So... basically, yes.  So think like one?

Entity, requesting your current status.  State hostname.

Help, command list?>>
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 06, 2014, 03:05:16 pm »

"I volunteer for the control room! Anybody want to join me? By the way, is the control room dangerous?"

Head to the control room if I can see it. If not, ask where it is. Take stock of surroundings with super-hearing and sense of smell.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 06, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »

"I'll go."

Head to the control room also, on guard.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:15 pm »

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 06, 2014, 04:13:06 pm »

To Teammates: <Remember several armed guards went down this elevator before us. Watch for the trap.>

scatter all but one of my flame orbs into lots of tiny fires, similar to candle-flames, and send them out to illuminate the dark areas of the room, including whatever is below the platform. work slowly rather than accidentally burn things or people.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »

To Teammates: <Oh, right! I forgot. Thanks, lady.>

Watch out for traps on the way!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 06, 2014, 06:44:33 pm »

"Sounds pretty bad that we have to disable right after we activate it. This isn't going to blow up right in our faces if Ike isn't too quick on the button? Ah well, whoever the poor dumbasses we're stealing the bodies of will take the consequences, since you're probably going fish us out before we go dead."
Go and plug it in. Keep an eye out for any soldiers ready to take aim and kill us, and if there are activate adrenaline and shoot them.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 06, 2014, 07:00:55 pm »

"Well, I can think of two possible answers for this, either someone is messing with my head, or I'm not on earth."  Theodore thinks.  Not wanting to cause trouble with something he can't understand, he backs into the bed room and closes the door.  "Seems like talking to the piano player is the best option."
Grab the vials with the liquids in them.  Go out the door the piano music is coming from.  Try to see if the piano player mind is friendly.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #941 on: January 06, 2014, 10:18:34 pm »

Music

Harry Baldman & DarkArtemisFowl
"I volunteer for the control room! Anybody want to join me? By the way, is the control room dangerous?"

Head to the control room if I can see it. If not, ask where it is. Take stock of surroundings with super-hearing and sense of smell.
"In itself? No. Not unless you find outdated computers managing space destroying devices dangerous."
The control room is the small room reachable via ladder on the other side of the room.
Your echolocation draws your attention to something that is a bit strange. There's a thin line of warped space extending from the center of mass of the generator skywards and towards the west. It looks like someone overheated that line causing light and sound to distort when passing through it.
Other than that, it's nothing of interest. Computers whirring, reactor pulsing, teammates breathing and walking, a small depression or hole in one wall, a few cracks on another wall, some bugs nesting in some dark corners, a sparking wire a couple of meters below you...
As for smells, it's still the same mix of unknown humans and stuff you've never smelt before.
"I'll go."

Head to the control room also, on guard.
You move towards the control room, the brown thing on the map. You're about halfway there.
"Tell me one of you saw that. The-"
"First and final warning. You know what the price for breaking the rules is."
*sigh* "Fine. Wasn't important anyway."

Lenglon
To Teammates: <Remember several armed guards went down this elevator before us. Watch for the trap.>

scatter all but one of my flame orbs into lots of tiny fires, similar to candle-flames, and send them out to illuminate the dark areas of the room, including whatever is below the platform. work slowly rather than accidentally burn things or people.
You remain on the bridge and scatter most of your flames, better illuminating the room with their dim light. You thankfully avoid any teammate or useful equipment burning accident.
Some of your fire hisses as it touches water drops falling from the ceiling , but it's nothing you can't handle. With a little boost, your fire's volume remains unchanged.
You don't notice any guards or soldiers or scientists or invisible ninjas hiding in this room.

Fniff & scapheap
"Sounds pretty bad that we have to disable right after we activate it. This isn't going to blow up right in our faces if Ike isn't too quick on the button? Ah well, whoever the poor dumbasses we're stealing the bodies of will take the consequences, since you're probably going fish us out before we go dead."
Go and plug it in. Keep an eye out for any soldiers ready to take aim and kill us, and if there are activate adrenaline and shoot them.
"Eh, don't worry. Those things are usually safe. Like 95% of the time. Just because it's powered by the destruction of the space around it doesn't mean it's unsafe. We're smart. We have safeguards for that. Most of the time."
Quote from: scapheap: autoaction
Follow the Mercenary.
You reach the boxes the entity indicates. You're about to ask what you're supposed to do when a spike emerges from the Device and stabs one of the boxes. Okay then.

Xantalos
YOUR RHYMES SUCK, YOU BUTT!

Childlike behavior!
Technically, he's just giving your translation suggestions his intentions and they create the rhyme, so it's really you that suck at making rhymes. Of course, I don't think you're-
You respond by trying to make farting noises. Unfortunately, you don't have a mouth with which to do so, so you just think about farting noises and try to push them towards the entity.
Are you actually...... using the Interface to try to............... the combination of disgust and anger is cut off as your thoughts thin out and stagnate.

You wake up.
You are looking at what would best be described as a psychedelic color-changing blanket. You can feel it over your head and body. Feels spongy.

Toaster
<<So... basically, yes.  So think like one?

Entity, requesting your current status.  State hostname.

Help, command list?>>

NO! It's not like... that, it's....... not.............. is the last thing you hear before your thoughts stop.

You wake up. There is darkness and silence.
Your body gently falls on your bed/sensory deprivation chamber as it slides out of the wall and into your Personal Section of the Staging Area. It's the same as the last time you were in it. A room made of silvery metal and lit by dim cyan lights. There's also the triangular door leading to the Staging Area and that thing that looks like a combination of tablet computer and table.

"This unit is functioning normally.
This unit is already broadcasting telepathic identification signals. Did you mean: "player host name" "assign host name" "verbal identification" "numerical identification"?

Ambiguous request, refine query.
Provide a list of all 1 tredecillion 100 sextillion 11 quadrillion 100 million 10 thousand and 13 possible commands currently loaded in memory?"

GWG
"Power. Adventure. Gruesome Death. The answers to the future of this mission lie... through the Elevator Doors."
((Do you have a version of that that the US doesn't hate?))

Keep watching. Fiddle with buttons.
((What, you can't see it? Eh, probably some copyright stuff or something. Anyway, this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/ThroughTheWormhole))

You press the "Cartoonify" button.
A humanoid fox rubs its hands together, grins and winks. It then waves its hands around to order the fire orbs orbiting its head forward.
"The quick brown fox uses a bit of magical fla(i)re to illuminate the situation."
The room is revealed, a large metal egg pulsing like a heart in the middle. Most of the characters are mesmerized by this, their jaws dropping. A loud voice comes from the character's earpieces, causing them to cringe and start moving. The fox stays behind, pointing at things and giving orders in simlish.
"It seems like our heroes have reached the heart of the problem. But they mustn't dawdle."
Two of the characters, a humanoid lizard and a guy with big guns and a bigger jaw dressed in camouflage approach a socket on the pulsing egg, carrying a metal brick. The guy with the guns looks at the brick and then at the socket. A cloud appears over his head and in it a drawing of a plug and a question mark. Suddenly a plug jumps out of the brick through the cloud and into the socket, causing the eyes of the guy to pop out in surprise.
"Surprise penetration always gets the blood flowing."
He jumps on the lizard's arms. The lizard looks at him for a second before dropping him. The fall emits some stars.
"Looks like this coupling caused some problems."
Meanwhile a man with comically big ears and a man dressed as a wizard with a pointy hat and carrying a staff move towards a room higher up, that can only be reached via a flimsy ladder. They're looking around wearily.
"The area looks safe, but is it really? Who knows what mysteries our intrepid adventurers will find in their adventures?"

Cartoons with Morgan Freeman narration. That's a thing.

Alarith
"Well, I can think of two possible answers for this, either someone is messing with my head, or I'm not on earth."  Theodore thinks.  Not wanting to cause trouble with something he can't understand, he backs into the bed room and closes the door.  "Seems like talking to the piano player is the best option."
Grab the vials with the liquids in them.  Go out the door the piano music is coming from.  Try to see if the piano player mind is friendly.
You close the door to the magma pool and make your way across the room to the doors leading to the piano player, after collecting the strange vials from the nightstand.

The room is similar to the previous one and yet warmer and more inviting in a way. Its black and white marble walls are decorated with curving patterns instead of right angles and it is lit by a fireplace and candles instead of the blinding lamps of the previous room. There's also a wooden Partners desk and chair and a two black leather armchairs facing the fireplace. And then there's a grand piano made of wood painted black, the one the piano player is playing on, with their back turned on you.

From the piano player's figure you judge that she is female, with long straight black hair and pale white skin. She's wearing a black dress that reveals her shoulders. Her body (at least the parts that you can see) look perfect, like the body of a statue. Perhaps a bit too perfect.

She continues playing after you open the door, either oblivious or uncaring of your presence.
You focus your thoughts on her mind. You try to gently touch her mind, so as to not give away what you're doing. From the contact and surface thoughts you momentarily gain access to, you deduce that she is completely focused on her playing and the enjoyment that causes her. It reminds you of some mind protection techniques that focus on repetition and emptying your mind. You're not going to get anything like that. Do you want to try a more invasive form of mind reading? Or something simpler like "Hello"? Or maybe just do nothing and listen to the music?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:25:39 am by Parisbre56 »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 06, 2014, 10:29:00 pm »

So these entities are on the same level as Eido, Zechariah noted. That helps entirely.

Proceed to the control room. Keep my wits about me.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 06, 2014, 10:54:46 pm »

Bryan stands for a second, considering his options.  He didn't like intruding in people's minds, unless they were hostile to him, or gave him their permission.  If the woman was indeed focused on her playing, then Bryan had no desire to disturb her.
Quietly turn a chair to face the piano, sit in it, and watch and listen to the piano.
That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:07 pm »

Somehow, Angel's worries slipped away. Must be the Morgan Freeman narration. Or maybe the fact that she's too distracted by the silliness to dwell on the deaths she caused.

Continue playing with buttons while watching.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 521