Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1128263 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Special People: Photon Carnage
« Reply #7230 on: January 09, 2018, 01:25:01 am »

WMD, Maximus Hull

Stop charging. Time to carve some words. Use the energy in my blades to make carving easier and burn off some of my energy. If there is an RME, will it to be helpful or at least harmless to Icarus/the Pheonix. Carved message is as follows: NEED AIR. FACEPLATE SHATTERED. HAD TO SHIFT. INTERFACE BROKE IN CRASH DURING ASSAULT. CAN EXPLAIN MORE IF YOU LET ME INSIDE OR GIVE ME AIR SUPPLY SO I DON'T DROWN WHILE TALKING. PLEASE HELP.

Hopefully I can write all of this fairly quickly with my multiple tentacles. And on the off-chance my little demon freeloader tries to negatively interfere with or influence my message, mentally smack his influence away with a hand made of my condensed will, just like stopping Littlest Jim from trying to get into the cookie jar back home.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 01:58:44 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

GigaGiant

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering down at you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: January 09, 2018, 01:48:14 am »

Stephano Falcone

"All right, I'll trust you...for now."

Continue being driven around. Keep an eye on my surroundings and be alert for danger. Cooperate with Iris whenever necessary.
Insert witty signature here

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: January 09, 2018, 09:28:32 pm »

Kosak Durar:

"Our foe is an engineer? We had best be careful. It does seem, thankfully, that our injured ally is recovering!"

Keep watch. Look for any traps in the room. Engineers can be devious.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: January 10, 2018, 12:17:28 am »

Campaign; Theri
((I got stuck up writing flavor back, because Parisbre is nice to write nice things for everyone in narrative. Oops!))
{Note for posterity, I'll always be with this girl!}

With aid from others (this is turn link), Theri gladly went from basics to demonstrations. Theri continued training, all the while giving encouragement and oversight towards any mistakes or otherwise that would lower people's efficiency. She realized that there was often the problem of death and dying, but a cohesive force would gladly outmatch even a professional one. Demonstrations included her being the defender, and being attacked by a spearman while she was unarmed--ways they would be attacked, or even downed (with many a time having herself being poked by the blunted end). She made sure to include not only individual combat, but massed fighting, formations, and tactics. In this time, her old memories before this world that River pulled her into came to mind, of spearmen backing archers and skirmishers, clad with overlapping plated armor, thick in the shoulders with horned helmets looking much like an armored coif, with flags attached to their backs as symbols of valor and courage.

She made sure to note the importance of cohesiveness, that their fighting strength was only as good as their weakest man--and strength made for character too, which included communication, support, and encouragement. That when others saw weakness in others, strength never meant belittling them, but giving them encouragement and helping them up by being with them and acknowledging their merits. Her demonstrations in the field of mock battle, over time she hoped, would change the attitudes of even the most xenophobic of the folks she was helping (or at least by social pressure), and she noticed this happening in some ways. She only hoped that Ike's folks had more power in their disruptive troops to give the mundane fighters space for their niche to fill.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: January 10, 2018, 01:15:10 am »

"How did you learn to fight?" Nikolai asks Theri. "Or to Heal?"

Nikolai gives Lune his shield, and gives him a demonstration of how to use it properly. Anyone else can join in the shield demonstration if they want. Key points are don't let your guard down when you're attacking, and shield bashing. Should help them stay alive.

Then he finds someone who knows a bit of carpentry and with their help tries to craft a small shield out of spare wood. The kind that can be strapped to the arm while allowing use of hand.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: January 10, 2018, 11:37:11 am »

"For the latter, Irine helped me, but I realized it was something like tangible willpower: Learning how to manifest these thoughts and feelings, even if one of them is mostly of the physical body. I wish I was formally taught, so I could give you a better answer than my wild guessing, and word flailing, but it was both desire and concentration that helped that. And focus, to something around me." Theri replies, glad to share a bit of herself. "For the former, it was my background before River brought me here. I...don't recall much other than being a shrine guardian. Um, I learned from other people, other humans, good humans- i-if that makes sense."

The pauses in her voice were of a deeper nature. Theri could recall her past; she recalled how many times she went over these details, and they were not as specific as she had wanted them each time, much like how imagination stays on its own level or degree of imagery compared to a dream one has experienced, lucid or otherwise, and trying to recall it. She was concerned if anyone else would catch on, so she asked...

"What about it?"
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:39:30 am by Tiruin »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: January 11, 2018, 08:51:19 pm »

"Maybe not engineer, but certainly someone who knows this ship."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:15 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Maybe later, friendo. Gotta see some people about some things first."

Head straight to the guarded door and ask if I could see Brad about a matter pertaining to my good friend and associate Alan. Specify that he's not in any kind of trouble and I know what Alan's like, just gotta know where he's gone to and, if it's not too difficult to decipher his motives, what he's been up to as well.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: January 12, 2018, 10:45:57 am »

"Maybe not engineer, but certainly someone who knows this ship."

"Still dangerous."
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7239 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:26 am »

The universe is very pleased and impressed with your performance. You may remain you, at least for the next few days.

Also, now that I think about it, Alan is somewhat like a more oblivious version of the genie, always summoning random stuff with wildly varying and mostly comical results.

Seriously Xantalos, I really enjoyed this. You are great. I'd be real sad if Alan died.

Anti-Mission

Stephano Falcone

"All right, I'll trust you...for now."

Continue being driven around. Keep an eye on my surroundings and be alert for danger. Cooperate with Iris whenever necessary.
"Thank you. That's all I ask."

You keep driving for a tense minute or two. Iris drives the van into a dirt road. The road leads into a small concrete tunnel going underneath a pair of train tracks. A smaller vehicle is waiting for you there, an old sedan with a faded green color.

"Help me move the stuff." Iris says as she gets out. You make a motion to get out but notice something with the corner of your eye.  Looks like... blood on the driver seat. One of the rounds must have found her. You didn't notice it since it was in the side opposite from you, but that doesn't explain why she wasn't affected by your ability.

You get out just as Iris finishes putting on her jacket, using it to hide her bloody shirt. She notices you starting and looks back at you.
"It's nothing."
You're not so sure. Wounds like that can get dangerous if not treated.
"Really. I'm fine."
With that she proceeds to take two cases from the back of the van. You take the third one. It's kinda heavy and from the sound of it there's some things made of glass or metal inside it. There's also a stretcher in there, like the one usually used by paramedics. Was all this meant for you?

The two of you hastily douse the van with gasoline. She sets a modified kitchen timer to ignite the gasoline and then gets in the car.
"Okay. Let's get to the safehouse."

You get in and drive off. The van erupts into a fireball a little over a minute later but by that time you're back on the road, driving casually.

About a quarter of an hour later you go off road again. You reach an old house of wood and stone. She parks the car behind the house, next to a pile of firewood covered by a large piece of tarp. The two of you conceal the car by covering it with the tarp. She's starting to show signs of exhaustion at this point, her movements slower, her eyes duller, her breathing labored, the adrenaline rush having worn off.

You get in the house. It's quite spartan and kinda cold, but it looks acceptable. She pauses for a moment and turns around to look at you. She points towards the kitchen.
"There's food in the cupboards if you're hungry. Light a fire if you're cold."
She starts walking towards the bedroom.
"I need a moment to... be alone. I'll be back in a... soon. Don't leave the house."

"Ah, my fair prince" she says with a mischievous smile that makes you feel she doesn't fully mean that "it was only fair that I get you out of there, given that I was the one who put you there in the first place."

"But to answer your question I am Lady Norie Amarante, Guardian of Silver, Knight and servant of my Queen, at your service." she says, making a small bow as she finishes.

(Xantalos, your character is such a class act. Please keep it up!)

"I am Napoleon Lambeau and I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Lady Amarante," Napoleon said as he wrinkled an eyebrow. He then paused for a few minutes as he try to make out more of the stranger's facial details in the shadows. "You say that you're the reason I'm here in the first place and, based on your evaluation of my fighting capabilities, I can easily assume that you was watching me the entire time. Were you... responsible for that twisted doll? Is this some sort of... test?"
"I was the doll, actually. You got me pretty good back there. Really hurt." she says while absent-mindedly touching the point where the sword had hit her.
"Well, 'possessing' it would be a more accurate description, I guess." she adds with a gesture to indicate that it's a trivial difference.
Still, from what you saw in her mind, she did indeed feel pain. Ripping that sword from her body couldn't have been easy.
"To answer your second question, yes this was a test. For both of us. And a game I suppose."
She takes a few long strides towards you, moving towards your right.
"My Queen wanted me to test your skill. And I suppose she also wanted to give me a message, restricting me and toying with me like that."
She makes an exasperated sigh but a moment later she looks away and puts her finger on her chin.
”Or was the message directed to you?" she muses.
Her mannerisms appear a bit too theatrical, like she's giving a show and wants even the people sitting in the back to see how's she's feeling.
She raises her arms and shakes her head.
"Well, it doesn't matter now. What matters is that I was given the task of finding you. And after finding you, I was given the task of defeating you in this Arena. And losing, well..."
She looks down for a second.
"Losing was not an option."
She looks at you again, cheery once more.
"Good thing I managed to defeat you without killing you, right? Otherwise one of us would be dead by now."
She turns around and sits down besides you, leaning back and using her arms to support herself. She looks at the fire raging on the top floors as if she's stargazing. The building probably won't last long.
"Then again, I do not think my Queen would had let me die unless I made a considerable blunder. Every time you came close to defeating me she unlocked more of my abilities."
You can see her face and clothes clearly now, illuminated by the fire. She looks very much like your doll but real, made of flesh and blood.
"Like I said, a test. And a game."

Maximus: Turret 4A Backup Control Room

Walking Tank, Maximus

Considering my actions before I disappeared for a bit were protecting the group that went into the ship, he'd be with them.
Okay then. It was a bit of a pain fitting through the maintenance corridors and you had to take the occasional detour but you managed to follow the others without getting stuck or having to "widen" a corridor too much or getting abducted by aliens while you were alone.

Your stand guard in the empty corridor, watching the blurred reflections of your runes dance against the walls. They look a lot... "calmer" in here. A lot more like they usually are. And your force-shield no longer has that strange effect on it. You still feel weaker than normal though, as if magic here is somehow muffled. It's normal to feel slightly tired, your healing gauntlet is not cheap to maintain but you don't think that's the only reason. Hm.

You stay attached on the floor in front of the injured guy and keep watch over the half-open door on the other side of the hallway. Probably left open by the one that reactivated the turret. Not a very smart move, leaving the doors open like that. Without power to this section there's no way for the doors to automatically close in an emergency. A hull breach could mean that this liquid spreads through a large area, maybe even the entire ship depending on how many doors have been left open.

Kosak Durar:

"Our foe is an engineer? We had best be careful. It does seem, thankfully, that our injured ally is recovering!"

Keep watch. Look for any traps in the room. Engineers can be devious.
You stand next to John and keep an eye out for any madmen coming at you to smack you in the head with a wrench.

John:  Inside the Maximus

Y
Let's get this thing off.

"I think we've got it, but someone really tried their best to prevent meddling.  Someone who knew how this worked.  We better be careful."

Keep looking around once the turret is disabled.  What else on the network can we see from here?  Where's the next closest place to go to control more of the ship systems?

((EDIT:  The elements that are often mentioned in the campaign: are they mostly specific to their setting or are they more universal?))
((They're specific to the campaign. It is assigned to them upon entering the world based on how that world 'understands' them and their abilities and how entering that world changes them.

If John was in the Campaign I'd probably make him Order/Death. Being Chaos/Death with a penalty to more high-tech stuff would be closer to your abilities but I don't think it would fit your character (Alan is also Chaos/Death and he is very unlike John). Order/Death would probably lead to making your abilities a bit more magical and related to magic, which would require you to play with the various elements and magical materials a bit more.

Either way there would have to be some limitations, otherwise the campaign might have ended up looking like this.))

You press Y and then hit enter. The script starts running, writing a few brief lines logging its connection to the turret and the termination of the turret's automated function. The script ends with a small beep and a satisfying
Quote from: Terminal
Done!

You give everyone the all clear and try to contact Phoenix to let it know it can approach. There's still no reply. You'll probably have to wait until it makes another pass near the turret or get out and try to make a signal. Or maybe you could use the turret's communicator to contact the Phoenix, it's bound to be more powerful than your little-
: Alert. : the interface notifies you calmly.
You turn your attention to the screen where a few more lines have been added to the log, written in the crimson font of error.
Quote from: Terminal
Connection closed by remote host. Reason:
Due to your fault
I deny you
I return
Without exception
To Dave Nal
My kernel
Forking Explosively
BOOM

Oh, great, a smartass.
: Brace. : the interface instructs you in the same apathetic voice.

You pull your Interface out of the socket and are halfway through fastening yourself to the seat when gravity suddenly returns with a vengeance.

((Keep reading.))

Maximus: Near Turret 4A (Outside)

Brian Hoss, Hull of the Maximus

Play some solitaire and hope that tremor means stuff is getting done.
"...and Queen of Hearts to the Heart Foundation aaaand I believe the game is pretty much solved now, right Interface?"
: Affirmative. Victory is inevitable. The only losing move is not to play. :
"Woo yeah! Everything's coming up Brian! Now let's see if my wish is gonna come true..."
"Hey Interface, wanna hear what I wished for?"
: Negative. :
"Well, tough luck, I'm gonna tell you anyway. I wished for-"
: Brace. :
"No, that's totally not what I-"

That's when the turret explodes, blinding your eyes with a blast of energy. However you are lucky on many accounts. First of all, you don't have human eyes, so that's not really that bad for you.

Second is that the explosion escapes at first through the turret's weakpoints, mostly the barrel and the umbilical to a lesser extent, the heavy armour of the spherical defensive emplacement holding for several seconds before being torn apart. If one were to see the explosion in slow motion, they would see a beam of energy escaping from the barrel, cracks forming near its base, spreading across its surface and then opening as it is torn open like an eggshell full of light. A few tiny moments later the umbelical would fail, making the bowl-shaped depression the turret was sitting in explode like a volcano.

The third is that you're in a liquid that appears capable of greatly multiplying the effects of the inverse square law and thus dramatically reducing the effects of the shock-wave and radiation traveling through it. This is good because you don't feel the full force of a nuke exploding next to you.

The fourth is that the piece of hull you're on is elevated and not locked to the ground thanks to John's actions, providing you cover from the explosion and allowing it to absorb more of the acceleration, preventing it from breaking apart. Of course this also means that it's more vulnerable to being torn away from the ship, which it promptly does.

You slam against the hull as it rises into the air propelled by the force of the explosion and the flowing liquid. For a moment you are disoriented, both from the hit and the constant movement. Violent currents pull you this way and that as liquid moves to take the place of the now partly evaporated turret, the superheated bubbles and pieces of armour quickly cooling and drifting away in the current, quickly disappearing from sight.

The armour plate you're on begins to flip, threatening to sandwich you against the hull unless you find a way to escape.

Maximus: Turret 4A Backup Control Room

Everybody tried their best to brace themselves with the short warning delivered by their Interfaces. Luckily for them, it wasn't as bad as it could had been. The ship is heavily armoured. They are technically just beyond the first layer of armour but even at this shallow point the armour is thick and flexible enough to prevent the worst of the explosion from reaching them. There is no fire vaporising them, no broken bulkheads flooding the area with tons of water, no shockwave liquefying their internal organs. It feels more like some evil god began violently rocking the world for a few seconds, beginning with a very strong push. Even the area they're in is not affected that much, the only loose objects around being themselves.

John, already sitting down on the padded seat of the terminal, manages to brace himself and keep himself from getting hurt. The worst for him was the noise, the loud bang making his ears ring, feeling his teeth rattling, the vibrations spreading through his bones, resonating with the air trapped in his visor, even being felt by his power as he sensed his surroundings.

Saevus remains completely oblivious to everything going on around him. Not that a heavily armoured giant like him has any need to worry about this sort of thing. To him there's a bit of noise but nothing seems to be happening. Why is everyone freaking out?

Kosak puts his cave-in training to good use, slips under a desk, relaxes and assumes the fetal position. He gets rocked around a bit but is not injured in any serious way. He might be a bit bruised but nothing he can't handle.

Svajoklis acts quickly, a good thing considering that his already injured body can't take much more punishment. He calculates the best position for him to be in and allows his weak legs to absorb the initial impact. It hurts like hell but it's nothing a couple of minutes of swearing won't make better.

John checks the console. There's a big pile of errors and dead points where the turret, the umbelical and its surrounding armour plates used to be. Not the best possible outcome but even if it wasn't done as they intended, they took out the turret and that's probably what matters the most. Not only can the Phoenix now dock safely, they can also fly around the Maximus freely if they have to... assuming whoever sabotaged this turret doesn't try to do the same with another one.

The console doesn't appear to be useful for anything else. Its connection to the rest of the ship appears to have been disabled. John could easily restore it but it's highly unlikely that this will do anything. All connections with the rest of the ship appear dead. Everything around here is probably unpowered, same as this area was. This terminal is only useful for accessing this control room and its surrounding area for now. If nothing else, you could check the log files, maybe they'll contain something useful.

Your Interface has several suggestions for other ways to obtain data or more control.

You are currently in the layers of external Storage Units and Armour surrounding the Fore section of the ship. You could probably find a vehicle that would let you move to one of the ship's hub if you moved further in, towards the Fore Spinal Transport Tube. Alternatively, you could always find another way out, regroup with Icarus and have him dock in a hangar of your choosing.

Maximus: Outside

WMD, Maximus Hull

Stop charging. Time to carve some words. Use the energy in my blades to make carving easier and burn off some of my energy. If there is an RME, will it to be helpful or at least harmless to Icarus/the Phoenix. Carved message is as follows: NEED AIR. FACEPLATE SHATTERED. HAD TO SHIFT. INTERFACE BROKE IN CRASH DURING ASSAULT. CAN EXPLAIN MORE IF YOU LET ME INSIDE OR GIVE ME AIR SUPPLY SO I DON'T DROWN WHILE TALKING. PLEASE HELP.

Hopefully I can write all of this fairly quickly with my multiple tentacles. And on the off-chance my little demon freeloader tries to negatively interfere with or influence my message, mentally smack his influence away with a hand made of my condensed will, just like stopping Littlest Jim from trying to get into the cookie jar back home.

You burn as much energy as you can push through your knife-terminating appendages in order to use them to carve your message. It's not the most legible thing (despite your enhanced mental capacities allowing you to handle moving multiple limbs at the same time, your limbs are ill suited for prolonged precise carvings) but it looks like Icarus gets it, for he moves his vehicle's arms to help you into the cargo hold. Someone looking at this with no context would see a luminous Mecha using its segmented arms to push a blade-tentacled monster inside its cargo hold in a reverse birthing of sorts.

You shrink into the cargo hold, trying to hold your breath, which is easier said than done when your body is literally transforming.
: Take a spare visor from the compartment to your right! Hurry! :
You scramble to the storage compartment, open it up and grab one of the visors inside.
: Put it in the back of your head and press the button once it's attached! :
You slap it against the back of your neck, the power unit dangling against your back with no suit to hold it. You press the button and the thing attaches to your neck and then begins unfolding, covering your face. It forms a seal and stays like that, still holding a good amount of liquid inside it. Half a second later there is pressure in your ears and a gush of air as the liquid is ejected from the visor. You are still naked in a cold and alien liquid, but at least you're not dying.
: I'm sorry, I can't cycle air into the cargo hold. I've got several beaches and- :
The area outside lights up for a second as if lit by distant lightning before going dark again. A moment later there is a low rumbling as the ship's hull echoes some distant explosion.
: Oh dear. I think they just killed the turret. Hold on! :
With little time for you to prepare the Phoenix lifts off and zooms away, heading towards whatever your teammates blew up.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7240 on: January 21, 2018, 09:18:17 am »

Campaign: Off Road

((To account for the time I didn't respond adequately))

Yes, potions which can help meditate and attune with the Flow are greatly appreciated. Purchase a few of these from the alchemist if possible.
"Ha! As you wish." she says with an unnerving smile. "Be sure there's someone there to document what happens. I'm interested in seeing how this will interact with you."
That doesn't sound so reassuring.
"What do you mean? Did you do anything to it?"
"No, the potion is standard, same old boring stuff, brings inner calmness and attunes to the flow of Water, if you are open to it. Nothing interesting there." she says with a dismissive wave.
"You're the one that's interesting. A strange being from another world, so full of Darkness and Light. Will the potion lead to the balance you seek? Will this mix be the fix for your mix-sery? Will it tear you apart and scatter your Flow to the four winds? Who knows? Oh, isn't this exciting?"
"What?!"
"Oh, relax, it won't happen. Probably. It's like a one in a million chance. But wouldn't it be fun if it did something really cool? I bet then you'd be indebted to me for all my help. In my debt for life... Then I'd have a slave I could have carry my things or send to do my groceries. Or other things..."
You slink away slowly while she's mumbling to herself.
"Wait! Be sure to drink my potion!" she says and runs after you when she notices you.
"Why?"
"Because I need a sl- I mean I need you to be brave! You're a hero, right? You wouldn't be satisfied with yourself unless you did your best to save everyone! You can't take the coward's way out and do nothing! How will you live with yourself if you haven't tried everything in your power? That's why you must drink this potion!"
"Uh-"
"Great!" she exclaims while shoving the potion in your arms.
"I'll be waiting to hear from you! Be sure to tell me. Otherwise I'll be sad and I'll cry. You wouldn't make a poor little girl cry, right?"
"Ah-"
"I would never forgive you if you did! Then we would be enemies for life. I would chase you all over the world, meeting interesting companions and having wacky adventures along the way. (But not too interesting, we don't want them to steal my spotlight.) And then, when I've finally caught you at the top of a cliff filled with ancient ruins, just as you are about to complete your forbidden ritual, I will shout your name. 'Zegarab!'"
"Zechariah."
"Whatever. Then we would stare each other down! Lightning would flash dramatically, my cape billowing in the air! A final clash! A fight for the ages, good versus evil, hero versus villain, smart versus dumb! Tales of the epic struggle will be told for ages to come! The flash of blades and the crash of..."
You slink away while she's showing just how she would trick you into falling to your death, grabbing your arm only to let you go with a smile. (You don't feel the need to inform her that you have wings.) You don't think she's realized you've left. Then again, she appears to be enjoying herself and her performance is starting to attract a crowd, so it will probably be fine.

((And now for the present...))

Zechariah was a little fond of the fiendish charm of the bar. Such a place of vivid - if not sinister - character was rather comforting in a foreign world - or universe, even. If everything else was to be hostile and alien to him, at least he could take solace in the fact that disreputable figures still prefer to congregate in sullied quarters.

Zechariah barely paid attention to the charmer; he only looked her over to see if she had weapons concealed on her person. Beyond that, he didn't care. However, he was still wary of the attention they were attracting. Accordingly, he spoke to Ike: "We should move quickly. The more time we spend here, the more attention we'll attract. Do you have any ideas of where our target is?"
She doesn't appear to be hiding any weapons. Then again...

Campaign, Ike!

"Maybe later, friendo. Gotta see some people about some things first."

Head straight to the guarded door and ask if I could see Brad about a matter pertaining to my good friend and associate Alan. Specify that he's not in any kind of trouble and I know what Alan's like, just gotta know where he's gone to and, if it's not too difficult to decipher his motives, what he's been up to as well.
"Don't take too long." she advises you with a smile, rubbing herself against you and sniffing your neck before turning around and walking away.
"Me and my friends are hanging out in the back. Come find us when you're ready to party." she informs you, giving you one final look. She continues towards the door leading to the back.
You remember reading somewhere that elves have heightened senses. If this extends to smells... Hm. Maybe she was trying to identify a fellow half-elf? You're supposed to look a bit like one, after all.

You ignore her for now and head towards the guarded stairway leading up to where you smell your target. The guard doesn't look intent on standing aside and letting you pass.
"Upstairs is private. Invitation only." a grumpy guard in black informs you.
You make your case that you're just looking for information, but the guard is adamant on not letting you pass.
"I don't care. You're not going up."
You explain to him that you're not law enforcement nor are you going to take any hostile action, but the guard continues to not care.
"Look, if this 'Brad' guy is here and if he is upstairs, then you're going to have to wait for him to come down, 'cause there's no way you're going up there without the boss' say-so. Now go away."
Hm. Looks like words alone won't be enough to convince him. You don't think any sob story will make him do anything, he doesn't look like the sort of guy who would do something out of the goodness of his heart. He's not carrying any weapons and his leather armor doesn't look too protective. You could take him on but he probably wouldn't be the only one you'd have to take on.

((If you wanna talk to the guy some more, I'll try to respond quickly to keep things moving.))

Campaign: On Road

Spoiler: large quote (click to show/hide)
((The above is based on how I see Irine in social interactions. To me she seems a bit aloof or maybe driven, like even though she is friendly, helpful and reasonably polite, she mostly approaches 'foreign' people with her objective in mind rather than merely to socialize and is a bit reserved/guarded on first encounters (which is reasonable given her experiences so far). Even the way you phrased it 'let the new additions meet her' rather than 'meet the new additions' seems to support that. Please feel free to correct me if you feel how I think she would act is wrong.))
((You got it right))
well then, so what they're doing is removing the magic from an area. a very large area that I'm stuck in, but still, an area. and what they're doing is incremental, weakening it in that area by a small amount, just effecting the entire zone and doing so repeatedly over time.
The answer to that is simple, and is EXACTLY in line with how Irine's abilities work. Remember that the way she "performs magic" is by making the fires around her part of herself? That manipulating fire is for her simply moving a part of her body? And how she is capable of actively generating additional flame over time, and maintaining preexisting fire despite lack of fuel? She IS the counterspell to this effect, or at least she is the inverse of the spell. And on top of that, now that she knows what's going on, she can take further steps to reverse it. Directly.

<Hey, Triplesword? Do you sleep?>
specifically, she can concentrate more fire magic into a small area, and actively generate and maintain that effect.
<I was wondering if, while I was sleeping, you would be able to maintain my flames for me if I have some active. Maybe kinda a lot of it active actually.>
The problem with this is that it's, although effortless, an active effect. and Irine does need to sleep sometime.
<I think I can counteract the flame damper in a small area at least by simply generating extra fire and maintaining it, maybe concentrating surrounding flames as well. But I have to sleep sometime and don't want to risk the concentrated intense flames going out of control. Or am I misunderstanding how magic works here?>
<We do not need sleep although we may occasionally need rest.>
<We also feel the need to warn you that maintaining greater integration with the Flow of Fire will also make you receive more of the Dark energy affecting it. It will not be pleasant for you. But if you choose to do so, then we shall do our best to defend and support you. You can use physical manifestations of Fire to help strengthen the effect, however such large concentrations of flames are bound to attract attention, especially during the night.>
<It is a good idea. Your unique ability to connect with the Flow makes you perfect for this. If you go through with this you should be able to wrest control of the Flows of Fire from the Dark spell more easily than even I could. You would be able to break it and help restore the Flow of Fire magic in an area. However you will still be restricted by the range of your abilities. If the spell was coming from only one direction you could use your ability to form a barrier of sorts along the most important Flows. Now you will be limited to clearing a specific area, which means you'll still be affected by corruption in neighboring areas if it is heavy enough, though we don't believe we are in danger of encountering such heavily corrupted areas just yet.>

Regarding how Irine acts towards the others, and how she breaks the norm, she might as well take steps to put them more at ease. The next time she interacts with someone that's uneasy about her and is nonhostile, she'll want to let them know a bit more about herself and her attitudes towards leadership, I'd like to RP the specifics if you don't mind.
Well, I think meal time might be a good time, unless you have a better idea. Everyone is invited and a good meal (and possibly a good drink) after a hard day's work helps raise spirits.

Almost everyone is gathered there. There's Nikolai and his squire Lune, who are currently being pestered by the Matter Alchemist. Along with them there's Theri and San and some of the recruits that are friendly with them (you think they're some of the ones she's helping train or maybe the ones that like to tell San stories) with River gnawing a bone near them. Then there's the water mages having their simple meals and bowls of water, the few Chizra Guards accompanying the water mages sitting close to them but in a different group. And of course there are the recruits, the largest part of your group, those from Chizra mingling with the 'veterans' from Road's End (they don't have much more experience but they were the ones responsible for recruiting people at Chizra and being part of the group for longer (and being more familiar to Ike) seems to have automatically led to many of them taking a role of leadership).

The cook, one they call Gardus, an older man from Road's End, bows to you politely as he sees you approach.
"Chosen One, do you wish to have a bowl?"
He points to the big pot in front of him, still releasing steam.
"Some of the boys caught a few Stingjays so we've at least got something to spice up the Iara Reed soup today." he adds with an awkward laugh.
Iara Reed is the name of one of those plants growing in the Walled Garden of Chizra. They're supposed to contain most of what the body needs, but they're not the tastiest of things. And they are the bulk of your supplies so you have them almost every day. Gardus and the other cooks has been trying various sauces and ways of cooking to alter their taste with varying degrees of success, aided by the knowledge of the people of Chizra who have had to deal with their taste for far longer. It has become a sort-of competition between them, a matter of pride about who is the best cook.

You can always take your meal and join one of the groups. Or wait for one of them to ask you to join them, as some always do out of politeness.

((I'll try to answer quickly if you want to have a conversation to keep things moving.))

Nikolai gives Lune his shield, and gives him a demonstration of how to use it properly. Anyone else can join in the shield demonstration if they want. Key points are don't let your guard down when you're attacking, and shield bashing. Should help them stay alive.

Then he finds someone who knows a bit of carpentry and with their help tries to craft a small shield out of spare wood. The kind that can be strapped to the arm while allowing use of hand.

You wanna give your Monster-Hunter shield to Lune? Sure, I bet the boy would love to have such a valuable (and protective) piece of equipment. He'd certainly thank you for it a thousand times. You also give him and some other recruits a demonstration about proper shield use, containing such important lessons as "Don't lower your shield.", "Use your shield to block attacks." and "Whack the other guy with your shield."

You also have someone craft you a crude small shield out of spare wood and a few strips of leather.

In your off time, Lune complains to you that some of the other recruits are messing with him, saying mean jokes about him and his relationship to you, like that he is just an idiot that you tricked into becoming your servant or that he begged you to protect him and that you took pity on him and let him such around.

You are also pestered by the Master Alchemist. She is always eager to take notes on what you call 'technology' (although she always says that it is merely another form of magic whenever she gets the chance) and also makes tons of personal questions like where you grew up or what kind of food you eat there or if there are any loved ones waiting for you there.

Campaign; Theri
((I got stuck up writing flavor back, because Parisbre is nice to write nice things for everyone in narrative. Oops!))
{Note for posterity, I'll always be with this girl!}

With aid from others (this is turn link), Theri gladly went from basics to demonstrations. Theri continued training, all the while giving encouragement and oversight towards any mistakes or otherwise that would lower people's efficiency. She realized that there was often the problem of death and dying, but a cohesive force would gladly outmatch even a professional one. Demonstrations included her being the defender, and being attacked by a spearman while she was unarmed--ways they would be attacked, or even downed (with many a time having herself being poked by the blunted end). She made sure to include not only individual combat, but massed fighting, formations, and tactics. In this time, her old memories before this world that River pulled her into came to mind, of spearmen backing archers and skirmishers, clad with overlapping plated armor, thick in the shoulders with horned helmets looking much like an armored coif, with flags attached to their backs as symbols of valor and courage.

She made sure to note the importance of cohesiveness, that their fighting strength was only as good as their weakest man--and strength made for character too, which included communication, support, and encouragement. That when others saw weakness in others, strength never meant belittling them, but giving them encouragement and helping them up by being with them and acknowledging their merits. Her demonstrations in the field of mock battle, over time she hoped, would change the attitudes of even the most xenophobic of the folks she was helping (or at least by social pressure), and she noticed this happening in some ways. She only hoped that Ike's folks had more power in their disruptive troops to give the mundane fighters space for their niche to fill.
You continue the training with the help of Nikolai and the others who are willing to help. It's good to be prepared now that you're about to go through the Hills of Midnight. The road through the Hills of Midnight is dangerous. The relatively narrow pass makes it easy for others to ambush a group. If monsters or troops of the Sovereignty are lying in wait there...

Then again, they likely won't be expecting a group such as yours. A badly planned ambush can easily turn into a trap for the ambusher, putting them with their backs against the wall. With your training and your special abilities, you should be able to prevail.

Perhaps you should discuss with the others about the best way to approach this situation. Or at least make sure everyone is on their guard.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:21:11 am by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: January 21, 2018, 10:14:50 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Oh, huh. Can I see your boss in that case? It's kind of urgent."

I wanna see this flunky's manager! And if he won't tell me where to find him, I better find someone who will.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7242 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:02 am »

Campaign, Ike!

"Oh, huh. Can I see your boss in that case? It's kind of urgent."

I wanna see this flunky's manager! And if he won't tell me where to find him, I better find someone who will.
"Hm. I suppose I could let the boss know that you wish to have an audience with him."
Ah, that sounds promising.
"IF you are worth his time, of course. Are you worth the boss' time?"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: January 21, 2018, 10:35:35 am »

"I would like a bowl, if I may have some. Thank you."
He's busy and is actively working right now. I could try to calm him down but it would inconvenience him further if I did because he is needed elsewhere.

come to think of it, considering how long I was out of it after that fight with VoidRiver...
<Hey, Triplesword? When we first met... Did you heal or sustain me or something? I... don't really know, in this world, how much of me is fire magic and how much is physical biology. I think you probably didn't do anything intentionally, and that my recovery was managed by the ambient fire energy you leak out, but... well, I don't really know, you know? Thinking about meals and how I might not technically need them, though I do want them for sure, got me wondering.>

I think I'll go eat with the water mages, if they'll allow me.
"May I sit with you?"
I figure it's fair to assume they say some variant of yes, at which she will take a seat.
((And now you may notice a bit of her immaturity, though it probably won't cause any harm.))
"I've noticed that a lot of people seem uncomfortable around me, not like they're being mean or disrespectful or whatever, just that they seem confused by why I act they way I do and it makes them uncomfortable. I figured you all are leaders among the people from Chizra, and as mages you probably have a better chance of understanding me whenever I start talking about magic, so I was hoping you all could, you know, ask me anything you'd like to know? I don't have any real need to hide anything, and I promise, I'm not going to be offended by intrusive questions."
((Irine favors a direct, open, and honest approach. VERY direct. :P ))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 12:32:01 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: January 21, 2018, 11:03:12 am »

"Hm. I suppose I could let the boss know that you wish to have an audience with him."
Ah, that sounds promising.
"IF you are worth his time, of course. Are you worth the boss' time?"

Display my chaos sword, and if that doesn't work, point at the extremely magical armor I've got on.
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 521