Drink the Kool Aid
- 6 (17.1%)
Groovy
- 3 (8.6%)
Insane in the membrane
- 3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 521

Author Topic: Special People: Mechanical Syndrome  (Read 1128139 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: Mission Landing
« Reply #3750 on: March 22, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »

Staging Area

John turned and grinned at the assemblage of entities.  "Ladies."

Put it out to short spear length, then try the front/back buttons.  Safe/Unsafe too, though I figure I know what they do.
Pressing the Unsafe button causes something like a thin layer of mercury to flow towards one end of the pole from the ring and solidify into a spearhead there, the process taking less than a second to complete. Pressing the Safe button does the opposite, causing the spearhead to dissolve and return inside the ring. Front and back seems to control on which end of the pole the spearhead will be in Unsafe mode, with the side of the ring that has a small notch in it being regarded as Front.

A bit of technosenssing shows that the ring uses a very simple circuit made out of transistors, capacitors and zener diodes to store the state it is in (Safe/Unsafe, Front/Back, Stop/Move) while the Enlarge/Shrink pair and the Reconfigure button do not appear to store their settings anywhere, at least not anywhere you can sense.

Second chance round

"THE FUCK WAS THAT SOUND!?"

"God fucking damn, I have to start writing these down.. Was it 'SPIDDO APPU PRIZU'? Or was it 'DUN WAN TU DAI PRZ'."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Did I miss something while screaming? Eh. Can't have been that important."

"I wish I was a tank."

Spoiler: Keep it up. (click to show/hide)
<Don't we all?>
<Everyone who is not already a tank, certainly.>
Try to listen to the whispers. Discern what they are. If it seems threatening to me, run the fuck away like deer do. If not, then move back outside of the crater and devour every piece of grass possible.

Everyone
As if guided by an invisible force, the flare strikes the lead tank dead on, illuminating it with a bright red light for all to see.

As everyone engages in their various actions, the soldiers that were air dropped less than a minute ago keep moving towards the hill. Machine gun nests on the hill open fire, spewing tracer rounds towards the advancing soldiers. Many of them fall down, either because they were hit or because they are seeking cover in the mud.

The tanks, having gotten into position earlier, retaliate, hitting some of the defensive positions on the hill and causing many more to go quiet, giving the soldiers some respite. Those close to them wish they had been given warning, for their ears do not appreciate the noise of cannon fire.

You can hear the noise of metal moving behind you. Looking back, it looks like the horizon itself is moving, like the dark shapes of distant mountains are coming closer towards you, looming higher above you.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Campaign

Campaign, Ike!

Make no sound. See nothing. Hear everything. Take in the smells of the area.

You continue to overhear the conversation between the two guards.
*quiet*
"So."
"Yeah?"
"What's going on in there?"
"I do not know."
*quiet*
"Who do you think she is?"
"I do not know."
*quiet*
"I bet it's another wizard. Don't you think? I mean, it makes sense, what with all the-"
"I've received no new information in the past few seconds that will cause me to alter the answer I've been giving you. So the answer remains, I do not fucking know."
"Alright, alright."
*quiet*
"You're in a mood today."
"Well you're not helping."
"Just trying to make small talk is all. It's boring here."
"Not in the mood. And I like it boring. I'd like it to stay boring, if possible."
"Why, what's got you down? Well, besides the obvious."

*sniff*
Human, human, human, human, wood, rock, human, human, rat, dirt, flour, salt, another rat, something dead, something rotten, rat, something that smells like rat, something that smells like it should be dead, human, human,...
*sniff sniff*
Hey, you think you can smell potatoes!

"Oh!"
I perk up at his response, his statement that I'm not to blame for his hostility.
"So it's not because of me that... Ok then."
"Um, I was hoping to wait until you had a chance to start trusting me to ask you to teach me about magic, but if the reason you don't trust me is because of what I am, something that I can't change unless I start lying to you, then there really isn't anything more I can do to establish trust, is there? Um, is there anything you want me to tell you or do before you'll be okay with teaching me about magic?"
I put the wood slab he had been drawing on back on the table, and push it towards him, lowering my feet back to a normal seated posture as I do.
after a pause I add:
"Would you feel better if you got your focusing crystal first?"
He appears a bit puzzled by your reaction but says nothing. Your offer however gets him more interested.

"Hm... If you want me to trust you, then answer me this. Tell me how to best kill you. Or give me anything that would make you vulnerable to me. Or swear an oath of loyalty to me. Anything along those lines. Trust for trust. I can get him out of here if it would help."

"If you cannot provide that, then it changes nothing and we proceed as normal... well, as normal as this can be considered. If you can, then at least I can rest safely knowing that if you turn into a monster or try to aid our enemies, I have something to use against you."

"And no, focusing crystals are rare and fragile. I do not want to strain it more than I need to. Maybe if I have to cast a complex spell, but I do not think that will be necessary."

OOC
Hehehehehe... It looks like this round will end much sooner than I had predicted...

I might be a bit busy next week. I'll try to keep updating but I make no promises.

((I'm loving the evolution of this story, Paris and co. :) Keep at it Lenglon! (and friends)))
Hopefully I'll have you resurrected by the end of the next in-game day so that you can participate too, assuming things turn out OK with River's and Zechariah's current attempts at resurrection.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:05:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: March 22, 2015, 08:08:15 pm »

Keep fucking running to the hill. Then, morph to something that would camouflage well. What is the terrain like ahead of me? This will affect my transformation.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: March 22, 2015, 08:26:45 pm »

"Ooh, a time limit via advancing wall of probably unstoppable doom, huh? Well, I suppose they did hint at something like that during the briefing."

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:42:57 pm by Wolfkit »
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: March 22, 2015, 08:34:02 pm »

"It's just a flesh wound. Still wish I was a tank."

Spoiler:  Oh shit. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:37:08 pm by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Alarith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: March 22, 2015, 08:35:20 pm »

That's why you should always wear a seatbelt kids! You never know when a telekinetic assassin is going to cause your car to crash! Safety first!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: March 22, 2015, 11:03:33 pm »

"No. I'm not suicidal. I have even less reason to trust you than you do me. I'm just going to have to hope that you keep your word. Could you please teach me the basic principals of how magic works in this world?"
My shame and guilt quickly fading, a touch of anger colors my words.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: March 23, 2015, 01:49:14 am »

Spoiler: Oh, come on! (click to show/hide)

"Sometimes I just wonder, how I lived so long..."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:44:07 am by akkudakku »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: March 23, 2015, 08:26:02 am »

In various spear settings (bracelet, short spear, long spear, safe and unsafe), try out the move/stop and reconfigure buttons.

How long can I make it?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

mydjet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: March 23, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »

char sheet awaiting approval or denial look in pm

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:41 pm »

Campaign, Ike!

What kind of potatoes? Raw, fried, boiled, sauteed, pureed, whipped, chopped, whisked, burnt, hot, cold, green, blue, etiolated, growing, dying, fresh, rotten?

Oh, and continue to listen. These guys are pretty funny.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:46:22 pm by Harry Baldman »

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: March 23, 2015, 03:45:04 pm »

Campaign

You could say that up to this point, Zechariah had been in a sort of unconscious trance. He was simply saying what came to his mind, voicing his inner thoughts. That's what he had learned to do, really. If he did not do that, bad things began to form in his mind. In this way, perhaps he would be able to help both River and himself to accomplish the task at hand. It just required him to empty what was on his mind and to form a new energy in his total being.

But River had crossed the line. River went down the river of his consciousness and plucked at all of the strings that he could find. He had pressed all of the buttons, broken the last straw - whatever metaphor you wish to use to describe what he was doing to Zechariah. Whether intentional or unintentional, River ignited Zechariah's passionate side once again. It was something that he was only barely holding onto; something that  he had almost lost when he broke his mental ties with Artemis. When he had fallen into the void. When he decided that he was going to end it once and for all.

This was his passion.

"What?!" Zechariah pushed himself off of the ground and whirled around, staring straight into River's eyes. He didn't fear River anymore. There was only anger in his own mind. He could feel himself starting to become unstable again. "You're telling me, of all people, that I just want to give up? That I'm going to just leave it all in the dust, because I don't have anyone I care for anymore? Because I never planned to wake up again?" He was beginning to shiver ever-so-slightly, as if a cold breeze had just suddenly overtaken the summit of the mount that they were standing upon. A low, energetic glow highlighted his irises, the energy surging back into Zechariah. "To even insinuate that I would do that - just give up - is absolutely absurd! I've spent a quarter of my life fighting the Shadows, constantly looking for new ways to suppress the forces that threatened to destroy the multiverse that I came from. I fought, I talked, I consoled, I befriended, I rivaled, I did everything that I could to take up any persona that was necessary! I wanted to help. I wanted to help whoever I could. I wanted to nurture and care for as many lives as possible. I wanted to be a friend for those in need and a hand for those who have fallen. I wanted to give others the joy of life that I could never have!"

He lets that hang in the air for several moments before recollecting his thoughts and beginning another rant. "That's it. That's really it. I don't really know all of these people. I mean, I know their names: Theri, Irine, Ike, Jordan... but I don't know their whole life stories. I don't know where they've been or what they've experienced. But I still care about them - all of them! I want to make their lives better, and the lives of everyone we meet with. That's.. that's what I committed myself to. That was what my contract with Artemis was about. I sacrificed my personal life to benefit the lives of others. And... I know what I did. I know what I did when I shook hands with Artemis. I accept that fate. But there is still only so much that I can take." He shakes his head and attempts to form more words, but the words become lost, replaced by the formation of tears in his eyes.

"I'm not asking for a way out. I'm not trying to escape or give up. I would never do that, because I know that I made a contract that will never go away, for as long as I live. That's why I gave myself to the Void of the Medium. It was my only chance for both escaping and giving my friends one last chance, without me as a burden. But I know that I still have a purpose now. I get it. But at the end of the day, when all of it is done, I'm still mortal. I didn't plan to live beyond what we had to face. Again, I accept that I still want to carry on. But there's one thing that I've been missing this entire time."

He paces around trying to be coherent while fighting off the tears. Finally, he brushes a sleeve over his eyes, takes a deep breath, and speaks once again. "I gave up friendship. When I made the contract with Artemis, I gave up the ability to be close to people. To be able to just talk and feel and relax. I needed to be always on my toes, to adapt to the situation, to talk with people, to convince the Guardians to act, to mold the Medium to what it needed to be. But I... I can't just keep doing this. I'm going to destroy myself doing this. And, yes, I have accepted that. I have!

But.. what if I had the ability to find solace? What if I was able to find a partner in life sometime? What if I could just relax and watch the stars, or just get some ice cream and laugh and talk, or just... just..

...live?"
He stares at River while he finishes his last sentence, trying as hard as he can to hold back tears. Shaking his head, he turns around and sits down on the rocks, hugging his knees close to him.

"What if I don't have to feel so alone?" He whispers softly. He puts his head down in his arms as the first tear rolls onto his cheek.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Special People: In the line of fire
« Reply #3761 on: March 27, 2015, 02:42:16 pm »

Second chance round

"It's just a flesh wound. Still wish I was a tank."

Spoiler:  Oh shit. (click to show/hide)
"Ooh, a time limit via advancing wall of probably unstoppable doom, huh? Well, I suppose they did hint at something like that during the briefing."

Keep fucking running to the hill. Then, morph to something that would camouflage well. What is the terrain like ahead of me? This will affect my transformation.[/b]
Spoiler: Oh, come on! (click to show/hide)

"Sometimes I just wonder, how I lived so long..."

There are the pops of cannonfire coming from the sky as an attack plane dives and launches its attack on the line of tanks, its rocket pods unleashing a large number of missiles onto the them and their surroundings. Said surroundings include the players.

Spoiler: Alarith (click to show/hide)
Welroki runs for a few seconds until he sees the attack craft open fire. He is frozen, unable to react fast enough to take cover. A missile hits the crater he is hiding in. One moment he is there. The next he is not, the place he was replaced by an even deeper crater.
<Player 13 desynchronized.>
Spoiler: akkudakku (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Coolrune (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Beirus (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Forgot the map
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Staging Area

In various spear settings (bracelet, short spear, long spear, safe and unsafe), try out the move/stop and reconfigure buttons.

How long can I make it?

It takes quite some time, feels like minutes (the rate of enlargement gets slower and the weapon appears to be producing quite a lot of heat as it gets larger, requiring small pauses for it to cool down), but you eventually manage to make the pole long enough to start poking Saevus with it.
*poke* *poke*
He doesn't look like he likes you poking him in the face with your giant pole. Perhaps you should retract your poking device.

"Ouch. That must have hurt."
"So humans were lying when they said craters don't strike the same place twice."
"That's lightning, silly."
"No, that's not right. It must be craters, because it is certainly not lightning."

OOC
Why was I laughing last round? Because almost everyone failed their awareness rolls. And was in the worst position possible. But then some of you got lucky.

And some of you got really, really unlucky. Wolfkit gets the record for lowest roll ever with a -11. I challenge every one of you to try and beat that.

And in case you're wondering, if you had chosen the other option in the previous poll, the arena would have been even more deadly. The theme I went for this round was "quick round".

Campaign later, need some time to finish writing the info and got to go now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:47:38 pm by Parisbre56 »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: March 27, 2015, 02:47:33 pm »

I challenge every one of you to try and beat that.
Somewhere in the netherverse, Alan begins to charge up his misfortune powers.
Seriously though, how many negative modifiers did he even have?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: March 27, 2015, 03:00:26 pm »

Wanna kill me? Try to flip me over, I fecking dare ya.

But seriously, how did being shot with a plane cure a headache? :P
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: March 27, 2015, 03:00:59 pm »

I'm sure Alan can find a way.  What's the highest throw so far?  (If you recall)

"Pokey pokey?  Okay, I'll stop."

How far is that, anyway?  I don't see any specifics except that it's probably absurdly long.

Retract it to a reasonable short spear.  In various spear settings (bracelet, short spear, long spear, safe and unsafe), try out the move/stop and reconfigure buttons.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 249 250 [251] 252 253 ... 521