Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)  (Read 42670 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Battletech campaigns & multiplayer (newbies welcome)
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »

Isn't this the one Erkki used to play, where you get allotted a bay full of mechs and vees, and you have to use all of them before getting a new set?

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 04, 2015, 12:42:16 pm »

Isn't this the one Erkki used to play, where you get allotted a bay full of mechs and vees, and you have to use all of them before getting a new set?

I played MekWars Legends. Back then Dominions was about some Clan internal war thingy which didnt interest me much and I didnt agree with all their rules(I found one part unfair and some exploitable).

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:03 am »

Inspired by Hanzoku's Lets Play, I opened MegaMek and experiented a bit. I wanted to create a general purpose FWLM Combined Arms company that could work against House Militaries or lesser foes(not Clans), circa 3070. Concept is to create a line or a "firebase" that outmatches the enemy at range, and to protect that with lighter units. I also attempt to abuse the excellent firepower-to-cost ratio that light vehicles have. Light Gauss Rifles and artillery pieces provide "dispositioning" tools to make the enemy move away from even a good defensive position.

Thoughts? I tried not to use anything slower than 4/6/X, but had to with the Demolisher. May need use an Mech instead. Fast Clanners will tear this apart in open terrain still, but I didnt plan to meet them in the first place.  :) The formation also lacks sufficient ECM - there should always be a fast unit with one, but unfortunately there arent too many options for the FWL. Even the Galleon's ECM variant is WoB's.

Command Lance:
Orion ON-2M
Archer ARC-8M
Archer ARC-8M
Tempest TMP-3M (jumps)

Fire Support Element:
Thunderbolt TDR-7M (jumps)
Rifleman RFL-7M (ECM)

Maneuver Element:
Griffin GRF-3M
Griffin GRF-3M

Indirect Fire Support Element
Demolisher, 2 x Arrow IV
Striker LRM (LRM15)
Striker SRM (LRM10 + 4xSRM2)
+Longinus Battle Armor, Magnetic

Tracked Direct Fire Support Element:
Main Gauche LGR
Main Gauche LGR
Main Gauche IFV (Plasma Rifle, troop space)
+Phalanx Battle Armor

Support Vehicle Element: (these may operate individually)
Heavy Tracked APC
Swift Wind Wheeled Recon Vehicle
J. Edgar Hover Tank (TAG) ( + Beagle Probe)
+Achileus Battle Armor, David Gauss Rifle

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2016, 05:06:40 am »

Hm... I agree that that's a tricky issue. The Aeron doesn't become available until 10 years later.

What about the Mantis? It's a general inner sphere design, stupid fast and mounts ECM. If you want to stay away from VTOLs, the Fulcrum is a medium hovertank with ECM.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2016, 05:31:45 am »

Fulcrum IIRC isnt a FWLM unit.  :-[ I do like VTOLs, especially the cheap and fast ones are very useful for scouting, spotting and moving infantry. But I think a VTOL supporting a company would be attached from another unit for the duration of a mission; ie. it wouldn't be part of the unit's OOB.

That list makes about 17,000 BV. The slow Demolisher could be swapped to a Rommel tank's howitzer variant(Long Tom Artillery)... Theres so few options for artillery too!

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 29, 2016, 05:48:33 am »

Yeah, I can't comment on that specifically. Sarna.net lists it as a general Inner Sphere vehicle, which I took that it was widespread enough that you can reasonably expect to encounter it anywhere.

*one internet search later*

Oh hey, found this website. Battletech Master Unit List. The URL itself points to the FWL, circa Jihad, which is where your starting year falls into. You're unfortunately correct that the Fulcrum isn't a standard unit for them.

Ok, what about the Prowler MTV (ECM)? According to the unit list, it's allowed for the FWL.

It's also the only non-VTOL I could find that had an ECM pack. >_<

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:10 am »

The great thing about the Prowler is that it can also carry more BA or replace the APC. It could be possible to "screen" the Command Lance with it so it drops the BA squad between Mechs and the enemy and then continue to provide ECM to deny C3 and/or Artemis.

5/8 isnt overly fast for a vehicle but being one its also easy to hide from at least most enemies. Ideally, the ECM unit is at least 6/9/X and as cheap as possible, but one cant always choose...

At least the Mech lineup is formidable in firepower and armor for its weight and BV.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2016, 12:14:49 pm »

Turn 1, the first to fire is the enemy Orion, knocks my Victor pilot unconscious. Next is my Stalker, who in turn puts two ERLL to the Orions head. Too bad I won't be able to salvage after this battle.

Code: [Select]
Weapons fire for Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League)
    AC/10 at Victor VTR-9B (Lovers Lancers); needs 10, rolls 6 : misses

LRM 15 at Victor VTR-9B (Lovers Lancers); needs 8, rolls 10 : 9 missile(s) hit.

Victor VTR-9B (Lovers Lancers) takes 5 damage to HD.
            4 Armor remaining.

Pilot of Victor VTR-9B (Lovers Lancers) "Corporal Harrison Davis" takes 1 damage.       
Pilot of Victor VTR-9B (Lovers Lancers) "Corporal Harrison Davis" needs a 3 to stay conscious.  Rolls 2 : blacks out.

Victor VTR-9B (Lovers Lancers) takes 4 damage to LT.
            16 Armor remaining.

Weapons fire for Stalker STK-3Fb #2 (Lovers Lancers)
    ER Large Laser at Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League); needs 8, rolls 11 : hits  HD
        Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League) takes 8 damage to HD.
            1 Armor remaining.

Pilot of Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League) "Maxence Giorlandino" takes 1 damage.       
Pilot of Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League) "Maxence Giorlandino" needs a 3 to stay conscious.  Rolls 6 : successful!

ER Large Laser at Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League); needs 8, rolls 10 : hits  HD
        Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League) takes 8 damage to HD.
            Armor destroyed.
             SECTION DESTROYED.
*** Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League) DESTROYED by damage! ***
            Critical hit on HD. Roll is 11; 2 locations.
            CRITICAL HIT on Sensors.
            CRITICAL HIT on Standard Cockpit.

Pilot of Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League) "Maxence Giorlandino" is already dead, so no damage is dealt!

LRM 15 (Artemis-capable ammo) at Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses

LRM 15 (Artemis-capable ammo) at Orion ON1-K (Free Worlds League); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses

Edit: Turn 2: We explode a Marauders AC/5 ammo (and a J. Edgar that got too close for its own safety), the Victor pilot gets hurt a bit more and decides to keep on sleeping.

Edit2: And in turn 3 the Victors head gets blown off by a LRM 10 from a Saracen. Byebye Victor.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:27:21 pm by Rince Wind »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:27 pm »

No salvage? That's a shame, as it sounds like Victor aside, you were doing well.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 03, 2016, 01:27:25 pm »

Yeah, a Breakthrough as an attacker. With an assault lance. I killed everyone long before reaching the northern end of the map. And the Victor would have been salvagable, I think I even have some 80t heads flying around somewhere. Well, I replaced the Victor with an Awesome, it fits better into my long range lineup anyway.
Oh well, everyone else made it out ok, just some scratches and 8 kills (ok, 1 for the attached Enforcer, but he did pretty good and deserved that). Though I had to realize that I cannot replace the Artemis IV ammo while on the contract, which is a bit annoying. :D

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 04, 2016, 05:21:59 pm »

Just thought I'd mention that Mwek-Wars: Dominions just restarted about a week ago so a new cycle is running.

http://npettinato88.wixsite.com/mekwars-dominion

It's set in the star league era.

Mankind has been united under a single banner for the first time in history. Under the governing body known as the Star League, the galaxy's ten greatest empires have entered a new age of prosperity, achieving technological wonders no one could have imagined. The untold billions of citizens now have the opportunity to live in an era of utopian peace.

...Or so the history books would have us believe.

Behind the façade of trade and cooperation, man's eternal greed and lust  for power lays in wait. The Lords of the five Great Houses scheme and plot against one-another, creating shadowy feuds and conflicts which threaten to undermine the Great Experiment. Each member jockeys for position to become the driving force behind the League's might, blinding them to a greater evil being conjured in the darkness of the Periphery.

MEKWARS DOMINION allows players to participate in this pivotal age of BattleTech history. Players work to strengthen their faction's position within the League, conquering land, creating trade alliances, controlling factory output and experience the era's most iconic battles, including the Star League Civil War.

Download the Client now and join the fight!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lavhav1v9x65v1/MWDominion-Client-0.3.7.3.zip?dl=0

Just thought I'd bump this up if anyone was interested. I wouldn't mind losing to new people!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2016, 11:18:25 pm »

^ Pretty much the same thing as the post above. Just bumping to let any one who is interested that a new cycle has started on the dominion server. Feel free to pop in for a match or two!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2016, 11:35:31 pm »

Well, look who it is :P

I suppose matches can still take up to 2 hours or so?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2016, 11:39:53 pm »

I'd be interested in something.  I'm at the point where I know the basic rules, but tactics and such are still pretty lost on me
Shoes...

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2016, 12:28:02 am »

Pretty much. I just happen to like playing on that server listed because of the continutiy between matches. Though you have to learn a new set of server rules and such to play by.

Eh, it's not for everyone but I enjoy it.

I'd be interested in something.  I'm at the point where I know the basic rules, but tactics and such are still pretty lost on me

No worries, I'm a pretty bad player so I think we'd be evenly matched. :P Best way to learn through is to throw yourself into a few games and find out what works for you. Most of the vets are pretty friendly and happy to help out some new guys.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20